Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AAlaxfan
Topic Author

AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:42 pm

Parker to revisit seatback screens if UA and DL gain a greater competitive advantage.
https://viewfromthewing.com/american-ai ... l_July2921

Boeing757100

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:46 pm

So all the money he spent retrofitting the planes to not have TV's for project Oasis would just be turned to toilet paper and flushed down the drain to be forgotten about?
Last edited by Boeing757100 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bpat777

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:47 pm

If this comes to be, talk about a waste of both time and money.

MIflyer12

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:00 pm

That piece is pretty thinly argued. There isn't much news, really. CEOs in every industry will make the generic statement:

'If competitors ZZ by doing xxxxxxxxx gain a meaningful advantage on us, we will have to look at reacting.'

AA execs will be eating some crow if they do put them back - and they'll be years behind Delta. It's not as if they can retrofit 700+ planes in a single weekend.

9w748capt

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:12 pm

Typical Dougie. How the hell does he keep his job? Insanity.

onwFan

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:14 pm

I bet no one even read the article before commenting... :-P

SteelChair

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:19 pm

The competition already has an advantage. Doing this would just be catching up. And it would take several years to accomplish.

It's inconceivable how this guy keeps his job.

Insertnamehere

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:28 pm

AA is on a massive backfoot and are losing goodwill with customers every day. There's little reason for people to book with AA when they're priced like a legacy and offer a product similar to a LCC.

I don't understand people's argument against seatback IFE, its a good thing whether you use it or not. I fly Delta most of the time now after being an AA loyalist for a few years and haven't looked back. I don't usually use the IFE on 2 hour flights like LGA-MIA but having the inflight map open while I'm listening to the music on my phone is excellent.

AAs management is trying to save face more than anything it seems. It's going to be interesting to see how they fare once business travel returns.

1337Delta764

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:36 pm

Most of my FF miles are with AA since I live in the Phoenix area (I have the Aviator Red), but this would be a game changer if it comes true. I have been using Rewards Network to build my miles with DL and UA while dining at participating restaurants (I linked my Aviator Red to SkyMiles Dining and my WF Visa Signature and Propel Amex to MileagePlus Dining), and with UA now adding PTVs domestically, I really hope AA follows suit.

ozark1

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:03 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Typical Dougie. How the hell does he keep his job? Insanity.

Sure seems like a pattern to me. Refuses to pay profit sharing…DL does it big time and then AA eventually does it on a much smaller scale. I laugh when I read his statement that they would consider putting seat IFE back in if it became a competitive disadvantage. Hello? Check out the DOT Aviation Consumer Report for May ( they get the final numbers 2 or 3 months after). Mishandled bags: UA, roughly lost or damaged 13,000. DL 22,000, AA 51,000.
Flight cancellations DL-24. UA-248, AA-1,599. I know Mr Parker is a nice and personable man, but the policies he had at US ( if I am not mistaken US did not have IFE…someone correct me if I’m wrong) combined with an embittered work force there, has caused AA to take an accelerated descent to the bottom. It’s very sad to see decisions made that drive away loyal customers. On one of my last flights prior to retirement, I was talking to a first class Platinum. He told me he had finally had enough and was going to DL. True, something like IFE is not likely to be a huge factor in remaining loyal to an airline, but it could at least be something to give back to those that pay the salaries….the valued customer.

USAirALB

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:09 pm

The only way I see this happening IMO is if Parker either resigns or removed. No way would he admit defeat regarding IFE.
ozark1 wrote:
f I am not mistaken US did not have IFE…someone correct me if I’m wrong

The Airbus narrowbody fleet had inseat power (Empower ports) and drop-down LCD monitors that Parker had ripped out during the 2008 GFC.

Miami

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:25 pm

Doug Parker needs to go. A complete joke.

Anyways.. I vote for IFE in the seatbacks. I enjoy them every time.

BigPlaneGuy13

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:29 pm

I have repeated this several times in the past in other threads: the only way AA can remain competitive is if they totally unlock their wifi to all passengers and make it free. That's the only way they can differentiate from the other two legacies at this point without having to rip out the hundreds of new Kodiak/Oasis seats. Frankly, I would be fine with being able to log into YouTube or A.net on my flight in lieu of a seatback screen. Sure, having both would be great but at least wifi would make AA's case a bit more compelling.

roadrunner165

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:33 pm

I don’t get it. I’ve flown Alaska my entire life and they never had in seat entertainment. Ever. But for the better part of a decade now Alaska has streamed movies directly to my phone or iPad for free. Why would any airline not go the wireless route combined with power at every seat is beyond me. Everyone has a smart phone these days. And if you don’t, you’re probably not flying based on which entertainment options are available.

UpNAWAy

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:43 pm

This thread is completely misleading. I was on the call when this question was asked. What was said is they are 100% committed to having the best wifi out there and the best media content, and that there are things they can still do from a competitive standpoint without added a seatback monitor. If at such a time they decide a monitor is needed (Highly unlikely as most people will prefer their own devices and they will always be technologically more advanced) it will be a wifi monitor only, with a seatback holder costing little, being a much better (and newer) product and from a MX standpoint much better reliability than a hard wired seat. They will never do a complete avoid like system.

KLMatSJC

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:59 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
So all the money he spent retrofitting the planes to not have TV's for project Oasis would just be turned to toilet paper and flushed down the drain to be forgotten about?

You mean like how they flushed down all the seatback TVs they had already installed?

UpNAWAy

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:08 pm

Flushing money is adding a hard wired tv system. 2-3 years outdated by the time you buy it. 5-6 years out dated by the time it is installed on the majority of the fleet. 3 Years later decade old tech, that is your number 1 delay drive. None of you would buy that for an airline you ran.

UpNAWAy

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:10 pm

BTW, the seats that have LAA Avoid are by far the worst coach seat from both a comfort and reliability standpoint. They had to be replaced regardless.

1337Delta764

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:16 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
BTW, the seats that have LAA Avoid are by far the worst coach seat from both a comfort and reliability standpoint. They had to be replaced regardless.

I think DL mostly uses the Collins Aerospace (formerly B/E Aerospace and Rockwell Collins) Pinnacle, which is also used on some UA aircraft (UA I think is a mix of Collins Aerospace and Recaro). Some 738s and the 763ERs have Safran (formerly Weber/Zodiac), and I think the A350s have Recaro.

The AA AVOD aircraft I think are Recaro.

Chapmads

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:24 pm

I understand not wanting to feel left behind, but honestly, don’t most people these days have a device phone or otherwise, that can stream entertainment just fine? Sure, I love the map, but I’m ok without that (heck, you could give access to that on aainflight if you really wanted to). I question many of Parker’s decisions as much as the next guy, but this one seem to be a good way to save weight while minimizing disruption.

SRQLOT

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:37 pm

I would love IFE back! And for those about wifi streaming, last 2 trips on Delta either wifi didn’t work, or on one of the connections only half way in the air. On my last Southwest flights wifi did not work. On my last United flight it did not work. Funny only on American did it work most of the time.

smflyer

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:48 pm

they already have tablet holders on the aircraft, why not hand out an iPad to everyone who wants one right after takeoff. Make it free for first/main cabin extra and $$ for cattle class.

F9Animal

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:50 pm

I'm sorry, but IFE is a total bonus IMO. From a customers perspective, it is nice to have the ability to watch shows, movies, live TV, and whatever else it can do. I would rather fly with IFE than use say my phone to pass the time.

AirKevin

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:28 am

Chapmads wrote:
I understand not wanting to feel left behind, but honestly, don’t most people these days have a device phone or otherwise, that can stream entertainment just fine? Sure, I love the map, but I’m ok without that (heck, you could give access to that on aainflight if you really wanted to). I question many of Parker’s decisions as much as the next guy, but this one seem to be a good way to save weight while minimizing disruption.

Most devices also aren't going to last more than two hours if you're lucky. What do you do on a 6-hour flight or a 10-hour flight.

JohanTally

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:48 am

AirKevin wrote:
Chapmads wrote:

Most devices also aren't going to last more than two hours if you're lucky. What do you do on a 6-hour flight or a 10-hour flight.

Every seat has USB and Wall outlets with the Oasis/Kodiak refit so you would charge your device while watching. I'm a fan of IFE but at least they finally have power at every seat.

AirKevin

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:57 am

JohanTally wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
Chapmads wrote:

Every seat has USB and Wall outlets with the Oasis/Kodiak refit so you would charge your device while watching. I'm a fan of IFE but at least they finally have power at every seat.

And what happens if the USB or wall outlet doesn't work (I've been on flights where this happened).

FSDan

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:23 am

AirKevin wrote:
And what happens if the USB or wall outlet doesn't work (I've been on flights where this happened).

Then you're out of luck. But the AVOD doesn't always work on airlines that have seatback screens, so I don't think that's a major differentiator.

I'm with others that wish AA had chosen to keep/install AVOD (even the smallest seatback screen is way bigger than any phone I want to carry around in my pocket...), so I hope they settle on at least a hybrid solution like providing tablets for each customer. They could probably find a way to fix tablets to the backs of the seats they already have, even just something to tether the device to the seat while storing it in the pocket where the magazine used to go. It'd be fairly quick to install, could be updated easily over time as technology advances, and you don't really have to worry about people stealing them because a quick walk down the aisles after each flight and cross-check of the records for whomever was sitting in a seat with a missing device would catch any culprits. Charge something like $3 more per seat and you'd recoup the costs of purchasing and installation rather quickly.

fanoftristars

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:29 am

UpNAWAy wrote:
Flushing money is adding a hard wired tv system. 2-3 years outdated by the time you buy it. 5-6 years out dated by the time it is installed on the majority of the fleet. 3 Years later decade old tech, that is your number 1 delay drive. None of you would buy that for an airline you ran.

And yet AA’s international fleet has a very functional hard wired system that works just fine… lol.

AA is definitely at a competitive disadvantage domestically when it comes to passengers who aren’t hub captive.

UpNAWAy

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:41 am

AirKevin wrote:
Chapmads wrote:

Those all have seatback videos we are talking domestic narrow body only. Even the NY to SFO/LAX has video screens.under 4 hours for like 80% of flights.

onwFan

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:15 am

F9Animal wrote:
I'm sorry, but IFE is a total bonus IMO. From a customers perspective, it is nice to have the ability to watch shows, movies, live TV, and whatever else it can do. I would rather fly with IFE than use say my phone to pass the time.

I would highlight the way you worded it: ‘IFE is a total bonus’, and that is the crux - passengers consider it a ‘bonus’ but will not shell out more to fly a carrier that offers one vs one that doesn’t. In such a situation, ‘I would rather fly with IFE than use say my phone’ becomes irrelevant if the another carrier has a preferable option in terms of price, schedule and FF (which AA arguably is increasingly doing along with AS/B6, aren’t they?).

I believe AA has even learnt the same lesson previously the bad way before with something on seats (I remember seeing it on an interview, cannot remember which one) where they did not get that competitive advantage.

Coalways

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:35 am

This seems like a more accurate article. It doesn’t seem like Doug wants to bring seatback tvs back like United and Delta
https://simpleflying.com/american-harmo ... 1627259703

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:57 am

We all know people use and like PTVs. There is nothing to revisit. Take any flight and look at how popular they are

Ask anyone who isn't on a. Net if the plane they just got off was was new or old..... They will say old if there is no PTV no matter what and new if it has PTVs.

Parker messed up removing all of them and knows it was a huge mistake

jetwet1

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:06 am

roadrunner165 wrote:
I don’t get it. I’ve flown Alaska my entire life and they never had in seat entertainment. Ever. But for the better part of a decade now Alaska has streamed movies directly to my phone or iPad for free. Why would any airline not go the wireless route combined with power at every seat is beyond me. Everyone has a smart phone these days. And if you don’t, you’re probably not flying based on which entertainment options are available.

What is even better is, on A Net, AS offering wireless entertainment is fantastic, AA offering wireless entertainment Doug must go !

ABEguy

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:21 am

Talk about hearing what you want to hear. He in way said there’s any regret. He was answering a question from an employee about seatbacks and AA’s position on them. He basically said they’ll continue to monitor the competitive environment and if it looks like it actually matters to customers they’ll adapt. The current seatback with the wiring and stored content doesn’t make sense when you have the Wi-Fi AA does but if need be, a wireless display could be installed that’ll just use the Wi-Fi. It would be lighter and he believes the technology either already exists or will soon. Basically there’s no story here at all. We’ll monitor the competition and if need be make adjustments. As generic as it gets. Talk about creating a story out of thin air.

PSA727

Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:07 am

Dougie did not rip out PTVs from the majority of AA's narrowbody fleet for Kodiak/Oasis seat refits. Because only a small number of AA's narrowody fleet had them in the first place. None of the pmUS 319/320/321 fleet had them (which is around 300 aircraft), most of the 738s did not have them, and the MAX8s and 321neos came without them. It was basically just the pmAA 319/321 fleet (of which the 321Ts still have them), and only about 70 of them were delivered in total.

vhtje

Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:55 am

roadrunner165 wrote:

I'm with you. I never use the setback entertainment, except to watch the moving map. But even then, I do not use it if the aircraft has WiFi - the Plane Finder app on my iPad is far superior, as I can spot and then look out for other aircraft, and it makes it easier to identify landmarks as we overfly them.

But, it seems we are in the minority, so it behoves AA to put them back. But I do like your idea of free WiFi. That is something they could implement quickly.

chonetsao

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:43 am

Well, CX is introducing the next gen of seatback IFE system, that it allows passengers to listen to the audio via Bluetooth individually connected to his/her own seatback IFE only. So airpod, of Bose headphones can be used without the troublesome wire.

It could be the time for AA to be really advanced and competitive by going for the same system.

bx737

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:59 am

I flew with AA a couple of years ago on their 757 from DUB-JFK and 738 from JFK-MCO, neither of which had the seat back screens. I thought it was fantastic to be able to use my own iPad to access content using the AA app. We got an email in advance telling us about the system, how it worked and to download the app. It worked great, there were no issues with it, my family were all delighted with it, I thought it was a major plus for AA, the on board service however was very poor and that is what I think they should concentrate on.

frootbroot

Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:51 am

ABEguy wrote:
Talk about hearing what you want to hear. He in way said there’s any regret. He was answering a question from an employee about seatbacks and AA’s position on them. He basically said they’ll continue to monitor the competitive environment and if it looks like it actually matters to customers they’ll adapt. The current seatback with the wiring and stored content doesn’t make sense when you have the Wi-Fi AA does but if need be, a wireless display could be installed that’ll just use the Wi-Fi. It would be lighter and he believes the technology either already exists or will soon. Basically there’s no story here at all. We’ll monitor the competition and if need be make adjustments. As generic as it gets. Talk about creating a story out of thin air.

Doesn't Delta already use a wireless IFE system on board their A220 and A330-900? Don't remember if that is an in-house solution that Delta created for itself though.

Coalways

Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:06 am

chonetsao wrote:
Well, CX is introducing the next gen of seatback IFE system, that it allows passengers to listen to the audio via Bluetooth individually connected to his/her own seatback IFE only. So airpod, of Bose headphones can be used without the troublesome wire.

It could be the time for AA to be really advanced and competitive by going for the same system.

AA just spent millions on just installing the new seats with no screen I doubt that those new seats could support seatback screens. Doubt they would want to go back and change out the seats again to support the screens. It’s costly enough just for the seats alone and more then half the fleet is finished.

9w748capt

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:46 pm

fanoftristars wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

And yet AA’s international fleet has a very functional hard wired system that works just fine… lol.

AA is definitely at a competitive disadvantage domestically when it comes to passengers who aren’t hub captive.

Hahahaha exactly! That's exactly what is so hypocritical about AA's current logic that "90% bring their own devices blah blah blah". Well I'd be willing to bet that damn near 100% of int'l F and J (and PEY for that matter) passengers bring their own devices too, yet Dougie isn't ripping PTVs out from premium classes on widebodies is he? He's not ripping PTVs out from the transcon A321T fleet is he? If PTVs are so useless and outdated, why not just rip them out across the board? The answer is simple - because AA knows exactly what they're doing (or don't know). They know that seatback screens do contribute to the perception of their product being more premium. But they think they can get away with turning their regular domestic product into an even worse version of Spirit. All I can do is hope that they suffer the financial consequences enough to 1) shake up upper management and/or 2) reverse course. Ultimately the only thing that will do this is to vote with our wallets.

9w748capt

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:48 pm

frootbroot wrote:
ABEguy wrote:

Doesn't Delta already use a wireless IFE system on board their A220 and A330-900? Don't remember if that is an in-house solution that Delta created for itself though.

EXACTLY! I love how posters here are siding with Dougie and acting like wireless IFE is some future novelty like Fusion powerplants on SimCity. That option is available to Dougie TODAY if he wasn't such a cheap POS, and would significantly contribute to enhancing AA's domestic product. Which is why he won't do it, of course.

9w748capt

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:53 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:

That is just flat out false. The LAA 321s were BY FAR the most comfortable mainline narrowbody in AA's fleet, until ULCC took over, of course. Dougie is literally prioritizing ripping up what was the nicest part of LAA's fleet, prior to installing even power ports on the LUS 321s. What a complete crock.

BrokenJetbridge

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:55 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
That piece is pretty thinly argued. There isn't much news, really. CEOs in every industry will make the generic statement:

'If competitors ZZ by doing xxxxxxxxx gain a meaningful advantage on us, we will have to look at reacting.'

AA execs will be eating some crow if they do put them back - and they'll be years behind Delta. It's not as if they can retrofit 700+ planes in a single weekend.

Well, they never removed the seatback entertainment from any of the widebodies or any of the post merger a321s and a319s.

PHLspecial

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:59 pm

I doubt IFE is coming back to the narrowbodies anytime soon. We will see how long the A321T last with IFE, I doubt that stays. The only reason AA has IFE on widebodies because all the other carriers has it. Without that they would lose the premium customers on those routes.

Personally I don't have a tablet and I have a big sized phone. Even then the screen is small to watch for hours on end especially for those transcon flights. If AA doesn't have IFE can we at least get sandwiches for those transcon flights.

airlinereporter

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:01 pm

roadrunner165 wrote:

Who wants to watch a movie on their phone while attempting to balance it on the tray table with all that neck strain? It's a terrible experience and monopolizes your phone. If you're using it to watch a movie you can't do anything else with it.

chonetsao

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:06 pm

bx737 wrote:
I flew with AA a couple of years ago on their 757 from DUB-JFK and 738 from JFK-MCO, neither of which had the seat back screens. I thought it was fantastic to be able to use my own iPad to access content using the AA app. We got an email in advance telling us about the system, how it worked and to download the app. It worked great, there were no issues with it, my family were all delighted with it, I thought it was a major plus for AA, the on board service however was very poor and that is what I think they should concentrate on.

It is cheaper to install IFE than to employ customer service orientated people in airline industry especially in AA's size.

You can change or improve the hardware, but you can never improve service quality significantly without changing majority of the personnel and drastically change of corporate culture in US airline industry. Neither is possible due to employee protection.

Plus, even if your employee are all Ritz quality, they will go down hill drastically if the airlines are chasing Spirit type passenger through its low hardware quality in order to cut cost. Because Spirit hardware and pricing attract Spirit class of flyers, airline employee will be accustomed to Spirit class of expectations (I am sorry to use Spirit as example, please accept my apologies Spirit airlines and its passengers.). In the end, when another airline start to provide quality hardware and quality service, quality passengers will move to the quality airline, and quality employee will either move to the quality airline, or self destruct to I-don't-care attitude.

Below average service means low morale. Low morale is partially due to the working environment. Going bare bone and chase the bottom of the market will only hurt the morale of the employee. The vicious circle would never be broke if the management do not find the fine balance of cost cutting and quality of service. Take away olives from cocktails is a good example of good cost cutting without hurting morale. Rip away the IFE is a debatable action in my opinion. Only time can tell.

JetAwayDrew

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11 pm

Coalways wrote:
chonetsao wrote:

AA just spent millions on just installing the new seats with no screen I doubt that those new seats could support seatback screens. Doubt they would want to go back and change out the seats again to support the screens. It’s costly enough just for the seats alone and more then half the fleet is finished.

So did United. They spent millions removing their IFE as well, but that’s not stopping them from stepping up and taking a competitive advantage.

travelsonic

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:24 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
Flushing money is adding a hard wired tv system. 2-3 years outdated by the time you buy it. 5-6 years out dated by the time it is installed on the majority of the fleet. .

Stupid question perhaps, but does it seem strange to anyone else that something like an IFE system is rendered "outdated" that fast?

ahj2000

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:27 pm

travelsonic wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:
Flushing money is adding a hard wired tv system. 2-3 years outdated by the time you buy it. 5-6 years out dated by the time it is installed on the majority of the fleet. .

Stupid question perhaps, but does it seem strange to anyone else that something like an IFE system is rendered "outdated" that fast?

Well even if it is-are the new delta things where it’s basically just a standalone tablet stuck in the back of the seat that can be easily fixed able to be easily replaced on a large scale?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos