Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Obzerva

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2021

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:30 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Virgin Australia will be leasing 9x more 738s with the first to be delivered late 2021 and the last of the 9 to be delivered by Feb 2022.

This will bring the VA 738 fleet to 75 aircraft (total of 77x 737 aircraft including the 2x 73Gs)

https://newsroom.virginaustralia.com/re ... g-aircraft

Wondering if that ties in with a relaunch to New Zealand.

qf789

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:30 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Virgin Australia will be leasing 9x more 738s with the first to be delivered late 2021 and the last of the 9 to be delivered by Feb 2022.

This will bring the VA 738 fleet to 75 aircraft (total of 77x 737 aircraft including the 2x 73Gs)

That’s good news for VA, so basically they will have a similar number of 737’s in the fleet prior to voluntary administration.

The press release indicates that the 9 aircraft have similar layout to the current Virgin offering. There just happens to be 9 Garuda 737-800’s in storage at ASP

Obzerva

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:44 am

qf789 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

That’s good news for VA, so basically they will have a similar number of 737’s in the fleet prior to voluntary administration.

The press release indicates that the 9 aircraft have similar layout to the current Virgin offering. There just happens to be 9 Garuda 737-800’s in storage at ASP

Even more similar layout if the aircraft come from ZL

tristans

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:49 am

qf789 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Also still plenty of ex-VA jets sitting in AUS.. I count 4 (YFE, VUA, VOQ, VOS) plus 3 ex TT (VOR, VUB, VUD) and another sitting in CRK (YFJ) .... there are others in China/US but some are reportedly to become freighters.

EDIT: YFE, YFJ, I am guessing, are already within the 68 aircraft in the 'current fleet'

Queenslander

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:50 am

There was talk a few months ago that up to 4 QF a332s would be converted to freighters. With the announcement yesterday that some 332s will be used for transpac services I guess that plan has been shelved. I doubt they would have spare frames after that announcement.

qf789

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:54 am

tristans wrote:
qf789 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Also still plenty of ex-VA jets sitting in AUS.. I count 4 (YFE, VUA, VOQ, VOS) plus 3 ex TT (VOR, VUB, VUD) and another sitting in CRK (YFJ) .... there are others in China/US but some are reportedly to become freighters.

EDIT: YFE, YFJ, I am guessing, are already within the 68 aircraft in the 'current fleet'

YFE plus one other are returning to the fleet over the next week or so and is part of the last round of aircraft being leased

SCFlyer

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:56 am

tristans wrote:
qf789 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

There were speculative reports that Bain were not willing to re(take) the older 738s that they disposed sometime back, and a number of the parked 738s were mortgaged to the banks instead of leased (formerly owned).
So it'll be interesting to see whether some of the remaining parked older VA 738s will be re-activated amongst the 9 or whether Bain will source 738s from elsewhere for lease.

zkncj

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:59 am

SCFlyer wrote:

VA projected the failure of ZL? and planning to pick up the ex VA 738s at ZL?

tullamarine

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:04 am

Obzerva wrote:
qf789 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Not too sure that they want the ZL 737s which are older ex-VA 737s that they have already passed on. The TT birds fall into a similar category. Having flown on GA 738s a few times they are in reasonable nick but I haven’t seen any with BSI. They also have 3 rows on J class so the layout is closer to QF’s 738s than VA’s.

Overall, the fleet expansion is good news for VA but probably makes ZL’s future more tenuous….if that’s possible.

SCFlyer

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:06 am

zkncj wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

VA projected the failure of ZL? and planning to pick up the ex VA 738s at ZL?

Considering half of the small 738 fleet at ZL were reported to be the least reliable of the fleet (and amongst the oldest of the 738s) when they were at VA, I can't see Bain being interested in picking up the leases for those again, IMO.

qf789

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:09 am

tullamarine wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Not too sure that they want the ZL 737s which are older ex-VA 737s that they have already passed on. The TT birds fall into a similar category. Having flown on GA 738s a few times they are in reasonable nick but I haven’t seen any with BSI. They also have 3 rows on J class so the layout is closer to QF’s 738s than VA’s.

Overall, the fleet expansion is good news for VA but probably makes ZL’s future more tenuous….if that’s possible.

The GA frames are only 6-7 years old so I would think the age of those aircraft would be appealing for VA.

qf789

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:45 am

Here is QF’s planned schedule for December, configuration for A332’s for US flights is listed as 26J208Y

https://twitter.com/theaeronetwork/stat ... 03873?s=21

RyanairGuru

Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:01 am

So presumably one J seat for pilot rest and two rows of Y for cabin crew rest?

Presumably this means BNE-LAX will be operated with 3 pilots? Was that standard pre-Covid, or did they have 4?

Foopz

Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:07 am

Interesting that PER-LHR is not listed as MEL - PER - LHR considering the statement yesterday about QFs potential consideration of using DRW as a stop instead due to "conservative state border policy".

qf2220

Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:16 am

SYD-YVR is an interesting one. Betting on the pent up ski demand?

EK413
Topic Author

Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:31 am

qf2220 wrote:

Curious if YVR is seasonal or scheduled services

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a320fan

Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:34 am

Foopz wrote:
Interesting that PER-LHR is not listed as MEL - PER - LHR considering the statement yesterday about QFs potential consideration of using DRW as a stop instead due to "conservative state border policy".

Surely it’d have to originate somewhere in the east purely for aircraft utilisation purposes.

sierrakilo44

Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:09 am

Foopz wrote:

I’d say due to MEL-PER being the domestic leg is why they didn’t include it on a statement of which international devices are being resumed.

There’s also something about the consideration of Darwin as an alternative that is quite strange. If you’ve been following the various states and territories in Australia and their approach to cases you’ll see that the Northern Territory has employed the same strict policies as WA. In fact in some cases the NT has closed borders quicker to outbreak states than WA has, and the NT has also implemented two lockdowns now over single cases in order to drive cases quickly to zero.

NT and WA have some similarities, remote indigenous populations with poor health and vaccine levels which would be decimated in an outbreak, and significant resource sectors critical to that jurisdiction’s economy. Which in my opinion sort of makes their border policy in an unvaccinated population look like WA. And similar to SA, Tasmania and Qld too, didn’t stop QF announcing routes from BNE yesterday.

I just think it’s strange QF would do that, and it makes me think that statement is in essence a bluff. To get a more considerate border policy out of the WA government, to get some money out of them perhaps (before the announcement of PER-LHR in 2017 they said they wouldn’t start the route unless the state government gave them some assistance which they eventually did). To get a bit of leverage in negotiations on the expanded T1/T2 terminal.

I don’t think they’d drop PER-LHR entirely, too high a UK born population in Perth, the infrastructure’s there (not in DRW), Perth’s population is increasing, capacity to expand in PER over DRW.

An767

Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:24 am

Given that the WA Premier is saying that he wants WA to be Covid free. how can he have international travel at all. Even fully vaccinated can carry it, if they have to do 14 days in lockdown on arrival, who would want to visit. With the exception of WA people travelling back in.
AN767

ZK-NBT

Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:40 am

a320fan wrote:
Foopz wrote:

Surely it’d have to originate somewhere in the east purely for aircraft utilisation purposes.

QF9 does originate in PER, they can swap aircraft in LHR also.

sierrakilo44

Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:54 am

An767 wrote:
Given that the WA Premier is saying that he wants WA to be Covid free. how can he have international travel at all. Even fully vaccinated can carry it, if they have to do 14 days in lockdown on arrival, who would want to visit. With the exception of WA people travelling back in.
AN767

Even he knows Covid Zero won’t last forever, even banking in the fact as Australia opens up it’ll inevitably creep into WA, and I think his comments were more nuanced rather than a solid Covid Zero policy indefinitely. And at the rates vaccine coverage is increasing it’ll be a matter of a few weeks between 80-90% coverage now anyway. If the other states open in November I think he’ll do it in December to be “a little extra safe” but also a Christmas present for the electorate.

But it’s interesting as the NT Chief Minister has said (and more importantly done) similar things as the WA Premier yet no one is talking about issues going through DRW. The Qld Premier has spoken about maintaining a hard border with NSW for a long time, yet 4 international routes out of BNE were announced.

I think it’s just a bluff to get some money from the State Government and leverage in T1/T2 negotiations. DRW barely has enough room to fit more than a few narrowbodies let alone a couple of simultaneous departing widebodies and more narrowbodies to feed them.

EK413
Topic Author

Australian Aviation Thread - August 2021

Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:21 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
An767 wrote:
AN767

Even he knows Covid Zero won’t last forever, even banking in the fact as Australia opens up it’ll inevitably creep into WA, and I think his comments were more nuanced rather than a solid Covid Zero policy indefinitely. And at the rates vaccine coverage is increasing it’ll be a matter of a few weeks between 80-90% coverage now anyway. If the other states open in November I think he’ll do it in December to be “a little extra safe” but also a Christmas present for the electorate.

But it’s interesting as the NT Chief Minister has said (and more importantly done) similar things as the WA Premier yet no one is talking about issues going through DRW. The Qld Premier has spoken about maintaining a hard border with NSW for a long time, yet 4 international routes out of BNE were announced.

I think it’s just a bluff to get some money from the State Government and leverage in T1/T2 negotiations. DRW barely has enough room to fit more than a few narrowbodies let alone a couple of simultaneous departing widebodies and more narrowbodies to feed them.

Qantas have been operating ALL repatriation services via DRW therefore no reason the MEL-PER-LHR service can’t operate via DRW. If PER want to play hard ball that’s fine but end of it all PER misses out…

sierrakilo44

Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:47 am

EK413 wrote:
Qantas have been operating ALL repatriation services via DRW therefore no reason the MEL-PER-LHR service can’t operate via DRW. If PER want to play hard ball that’s fine but end of it all PER misses out…

The sole reason those services have been going through DRW is because the federal government is placing the inbound travellers on those repatriation flights into quarantine in the Howard Springs Quarantine Facility, the only real purpose built quarantine facility in the country. It isn’t because of normal commercial considerations.

I talking about the PER-LHR flights in the conditions that’ll exist post opening up as vaccinated and tested travellers get relief from quarantine etc. and then normal commercial considerations that will return in the year ahead, which would make it profitable.

There’s an existing agreement for PER-LHR flights with the airport they’d want to keep, but there’s long term discussions with further Europe flights and the negotiations over the use of an expanded T1/T2 terminal where all passenger flights in PER (T3/T4 will eventually close) will operate from within the next decade.

CostaDelSol90

Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:12 am

qf789 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

The GA frames are only 6-7 years old so I would think the age of those aircraft would be appealing for VA.

2 x ex VA (final two returning) and 7 x Ex Singapore Airlines.

RoyalBrunei757

Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:28 am

Read these on Srcramble.nl website, please delete if it has been covered.

Virgin Australia expands B737-800 fleet

https://www.scramble.nl/civil-news/virg ... M0fC-lsBQU

Anticipating on the increase in demand for the upcoming Australian summer season and return of demand due to the increasing rates of vaccination, Virgin Australia has signed leases for nine additional B737-800s. The first of the aircraft should arrive in October and all nine aircraft will be delivered by the end of February 2022.

With these 9 new additons, there will be 77 B737 in VA fleet.

Are tigerair frames returning? And those 8FE which left the fleet?

EK413
Topic Author

Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:17 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

The sole reason those services have been going through DRW is because the federal government is placing the inbound travellers on those repatriation flights into quarantine in the Howard Springs Quarantine Facility, the only real purpose built quarantine facility in the country. It isn’t because of normal commercial considerations.

I talking about the PER-LHR flights in the conditions that’ll exist post opening up as vaccinated and tested travellers get relief from quarantine etc. and then normal commercial considerations that will return in the year ahead, which would make it profitable.

There’s an existing agreement for PER-LHR flights with the airport they’d want to keep, but there’s long term discussions with further Europe flights and the negotiations over the use of an expanded T1/T2 terminal where all passenger flights in PER (T3/T4 will eventually close) will operate from within the next decade.

& my point being that DRW can handle international traffic… the QF1/2 pre border closures was operating via DRW…

Agree PER will remain to be QFs West Coast to Europe / UK gateway but DRW is there as an option…

moa999

Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:37 pm

DRW is also more sensible in the first stage of opening up.

Flying BNE-PER-LHR is not exactly optimal.

qf2048

Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:46 pm

An767 wrote:
AN767

I agree with this statement. WA can't stay closed forever. The fact that West Australians love to travel to Bali, this would not be able to happen. I don't think Indonesia will ever get to zero cases.
I met a couple while on holidays in Europe, a few years ago, from WA . I asked them have they ever been to Bali, as I hadn't. They said "oh yes we go about three times per year". West Australian's aren't going to accept not being able to go there.

martinjc

Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:14 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
A News Corp article (Australian, 26th August 2021) state that the QF A332s being allocated to BNE-LAX/SFO will be undergoing cabin re-config (which include removing some seats) to ensure the A332s makes the distance in both directions without the need for the westbound (USA-Aus) tech stop.

Makes sense. As a minimum, the Economy seats will need to be replaced with the model on the A333s (please God, tell me they're not planning to keep that ancient early-naughties era IFE with tiny screens!). In addition, they will likely add a crew rest compartment as there are only 27J seats so you don't want to block too many of those. As already pointed out, cargo will be nil ex-LAX, so a below-deck crew rest should be fine. If you're going to those lengths anyway, add 3 or so rows of Premium Economy.

Notwithstanding any technical changes, just the cost of the cabin fit isn't going to be cheap. In order to justify the cost, this would have to be a solution for more than just 6-12 months while demand remains soft, which makes me think that in a hypothetical world where demand returns to 2019 levels these frames could eventually be used on routes such as SYD-SCL daily if/when BNE-LAX was up-gauged to something larger. Assuming that there are six frames in this configuration, SYD-HNL could be a good market to add W. Alas, we are several years off these sorts of discussions.

As an aside, I think this is a pretty clear sign that more Perth-East Coast flights will be 737 moving forward. With VA no longer a competitive threat in the transcon market, and WA businesses having adapted to 18 months of border closures (I can't see many people being enthusiastic to jump back on the red-eye for half a day of meetings in Sydney or Melbourne!) there may no longer be any need to add additional A330s beyond matching capacity with demand. Assuming that all Asian routes eventually return, SYD/MEL-PER strikes me as the place to find excess capacity equivalent to six A330s for long haul flying.

No surprise in moving to 737 only flying between the East Coast of Australia and WA. While appreciating your WA perspective, it’s difficult to imagine travel ever returning to pre-pandemic levels given the extent to which WA has closed itself off to the rest of country and the rhetoric aimed at all of us on the East Coast and NSW in particular. ‘Brand WA’ as a travel destination has taken a significant hit through all this and is going to take years to recover, if it ever will.

qf2048

Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:53 am

I've noticed a few TR flights back operating out of SYD and PER too. I presume they are mainly carrying cargo for SQ?

sierrakilo44

Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:43 am

martinjc wrote:

No surprise in moving to 737 only flying between the East Coast of Australia and WA. While appreciating your WA perspective, it’s difficult to imagine travel ever returning to pre-pandemic levels given the extent to which WA has closed itself off to the rest of country and the rhetoric aimed at all of us on the East Coast and NSW in particular. ‘Brand WA’ as a travel destination has taken a significant hit through all this and is going to take years to recover, if it ever will.

WA closed itself for the best part of last year and yet as soon as borders opened flights were packed to the east.

Even now the two states WA has been mostly open to, NT and Tasmania, have seen good load factors.

I think the whole isolation thing is a media driven furphy. West Australians are sick of the only real travel destination being Broome with massively overpriced costs.

zkncj

Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:10 am

qf2048 wrote:
I've noticed a few TR flights back operating out of SYD and PER too. I presume they are mainly carrying cargo for SQ?

The flight crew cost base of TR over SQ would probably be preferable? assuming that TR pilots would be paid less than SQ pilots doing the same job?

cx777fan

Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:13 am

qf2220 wrote:

These 332 upgrades feel like QF is buying 789s without buying 789s.

This is good news for pax in Y with regular or wider sized shoulders on trans-Pacific flights.

cx777fan

Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:23 am

It's sad to see QF's decision to permanently close the HKG lounge. https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ong-lounge

It was my favourite J lounge in the network and sometimes I'd opt for it over CX lounges at HKG even if I wasn't flying CX. I guess the long term forecast for QF flying their own metal to HKG post pandemic is on a downward trajectory with the increasing grip of the CCP on the city making it a less appealing place for business and holiday makers. And it's been a long time since QF used it as a transit hub. CX already had them up against the wall in terms of frequency for the last several years, so that large lounge must have been costing them.

Has there been any word about the NRT lounge? The lounge there is very outdated and with HND being the main Tokyo focus for QF its days were already looking numbered.

VHOGU

Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:11 am

tristans wrote:
qf789 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

VOS is beyond economical repair. It suffered bad corrosion from being parked out by the bay during last year for an extended period of time. I believe 2 of the frames are VA aircraft and the rest are coming from Silkair.

tullamarine

Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:18 am

I was talking about the PER-LHR flights in the conditions that’ll exist post opening up as vaccinated and tested travellers get relief from quarantine etc. and then normal commercial considerations that will return in the year ahead, which would make it profitable.

There’s an existing agreement for PER-LHR flights with the airport they’d want to keep, but there’s long term discussions with further Europe flights and the negotiations over the use of an expanded T1/T2 terminal where all passenger flights in PER (T3/T4 will eventually close) will operate from within the next decade

Alan Joyce will be keen for timetable integrity. At this stage, WA, by its own choice, is not able to offer the level of credibility QF requires so he will have no qualms in ditching PER and sending QF9 via DRW or SIN.

I really don't think QF have any interest in talking with PER about further Europe services. For a start, it may be years before such services are required. If anything, QF will be even keener for Sunrise flights to become a reality so they can make QF9 a non-stop service from MEL and no longer have to deal with the fickle PER management and its equally mystifying state government.

SQ (Ex-Silkair) has 8 parked 738s between 5 and 7 years old so they would be good options for VA. Once again, they have 12 J seats but I assume the cost of replacing Row 3 with a Economy X row isn't prohibitive in the whole scheme of things.

What are the last 2 ex-VA 738s that are returning? I didn't think there were any BSI left parked.

eamondzhang

Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:31 am

RyanairGuru wrote:

Presumably this means BNE-LAX will be operated with 3 pilots? Was that standard pre-Covid, or did they have 4?

IMO they would actually block four rows of middle seats in Y instead of two full rows (persumely the last four rows) to provide some laid-down space for crew.

Michael

ZK-NBT

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:12 am

EK413 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Curious if YVR is seasonal or scheduled services

It is loaded beyond March 2022 so it looks like they are planning year round.

In terms of the Tasman from April 2022 it looks like a few changes to free up A330s. Long way out anything could happen in reality, the way some of the 789s are scheduled ex SYD they might be able to run 1 across the tasman on a day service and back to the US in the evening.
additional daily BNE-AKL 3 daily 738s instead of 1 738, 1 A330
additional daily SYD-CHC 2 daily 738s instead of 1 plus EK A380 daily
SYD-AKL 4 daily 738s 1 A330, previously 2 A330, 3 738s
MEL-AKL 4 daily 738s previously 3 738s, 1 A330
OOL-AKL daily 738 still loaded

RyanairGuru

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:16 am

qf2048 wrote:

TR have continued operating SIN-PER throughout the pandemic. I always thought that was a bit strange, but presumably it must be a de facto Singapore Cargo flight.

In addition to lower crew costs, is there a chance that TR operate it as a turnaround, at least for cabin crew and maybe with 3 pilots, whereas SQ crew are contractually entitled to an overnight?

RyanairGuru

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:22 am

eamondzhang wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

IMO they would actually block four rows of middle seats in Y instead of two full rows (persumely the last four rows) to provide some laid-down space for crew.

Michael

Maybe, although I assume for CASA purposes the crew would not actually be encouraged to lie down! It seems like a WHS risk as they wouldn’t be strapped down.

My Googling of CASA regs seems to suggest that a cabin seat is an acceptable rest up to 14 hours, so is sufficient for BNE-SFO/LAX. Can’t imagine it would be popular with crews though!

Going back to my question above about 3 or 4 pilots, does anyone know? The regs around augmented crew were quite confusing to me without any industry knowledge.

EDIT: assuming 8 cabin crew, four blocks of middle seats would give them a row each for their rest period. Gives a bit of space, and the opportunity to lie down with a wink and a nudge. Does four rows blocked in the middle correspond to the ‘missing’ seats people reported above?
Last edited by RyanairGuru on Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

RyanairGuru

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:28 am

moa999 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
As a minimum, the Economy seats will need to be replaced with the model on the A333s (please God, tell me they're not planning to keep that ancient early-naughties era IFE with tiny screens!). .

Haven't been any tiny square (Rockwell Collins) screens for a long while. The A330 refurbs completed in mid 2019.

There are 8 332s with 9" Panasonic screens in Y (versus 11" Panasonic on the 333s).

The other 10 332s are wireless internet with iPad minis but these were typically domestic only.

Thanks for that, for some reason I thought the ‘international’ A332s still had their original economy seats. Is there a picture anywhere of the new economy interior?

Singapore 777

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:34 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Thanks for that, for some reason I thought the ‘international’ A332s still had their original economy seats. Is there a picture anywhere of the new economy interior?

It is the same seat in Y as the previous domestic A330-200 config with the Panasonic eX2 inseat entertainment screen (EBM onwards). The seats were just reupholstered in red with black headrests.

The screens themselves, while newer than the 4:3 Rockwell Collins ones, are the older resistive touch screens and not the newer capacitive ones (like on the -300s which allow for swiping with fingers). The content library is the same though so the only downside is the user experience and quality of the image.

moa999

Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:05 am

Good review here of the international 332s.
https://youtu.be/1W9RPpigRMo

From 5.45 reviewer agrees with the comments on the touchscreen.

tristans

Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:12 am

tullamarine wrote:
I was talking about the PER-LHR flights in the conditions that’ll exist post opening up as vaccinated and tested travellers get relief from quarantine etc. and then normal commercial considerations that will return in the year ahead, which would make it profitable.

There’s an existing agreement for PER-LHR flights with the airport they’d want to keep, but there’s long term discussions with further Europe flights and the negotiations over the use of an expanded T1/T2 terminal where all passenger flights in PER (T3/T4 will eventually close) will operate from within the next decade

Alan Joyce will be keen for timetable integrity. At this stage, WA, by its own choice, is not able to offer the level of credibility QF requires so he will have no qualms in ditching PER and sending QF9 via DRW or SIN.

I really don't think QF have any interest in talking with PER about further Europe services. For a start, it may be years before such services are required. If anything, QF will be even keener for Sunrise flights to become a reality so they can make QF9 a non-stop service from MEL and no longer have to deal with the fickle PER management and its equally mystifying state government.

SQ (Ex-Silkair) has 8 parked 738s between 5 and 7 years old so they would be good options for VA. Once again, they have 12 J seats but I assume the cost of replacing Row 3 with a Economy X row isn't prohibitive in the whole scheme of things.

What are the last 2 ex-VA 738s that are returning? I didn't think there were any BSI left parked.

N341CG (ex-VH-VUI) and N343CG (ex-VH-VUJ) they are in VCV and MIA respectively.
The first of which is coming back next week.

moa999

Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:16 am

So presumably there is going to be a pretty substantial age difference between QFs 737s and VAs by the end of this.

qf789

Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:20 am

Qantas is set to return the A380 to SYD-LAX from July 2022 and SYD-SIN-LHR from November 2022, though is subject to change

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ember-2021

tullamarine

Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:57 am

moa999 wrote:
So presumably there is going to be a pretty substantial age difference between QFs 737s and VAs by the end of this.

QF’s 737 fleet average about 12 years old, VA are probably averaging around 8 or 9 years old now the oldest VO* and most of VU* series are gone.

qf789

Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:04 am

tullamarine wrote:
moa999 wrote:

QF’s 737 fleet average about 12 years old, VA are probably averaging around 8 or 9 years old now the oldest VO* and most of VU* series are gone.

Actually QF 737 fleet averages at 13.4 years while VA is currently averages at 10 years

qf002

Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:32 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:

There were only ever four A332s with Mk1 Skybeds and Rockwell Collins IFE in Y. Two have since been retired and the other two were retrofitted to match the rest of the non-IFE fleet with these seats -

The current set of "international" A332s were delivered as domestic aircraft initially with the old 2-3-2 recliners in J (which QF ended up selling as 2-2-2 due to the backlash). They have the standard domestic 9" Panasonic IFE screens.

Foopz

Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:33 pm

qf2048 wrote:

TR has never actually stopped operating SIN-PER / PER-SIN through the pandemic, but has varied between freight-only and passenger services from month to month. Think they're doing daily passenger service at the moment, and some days of the week flying an additional frame freight-only similar to SQ.

RyanairGuru wrote:
qf2048 wrote:

In addition to lower crew costs, is there a chance that TR operate it as a turnaround, at least for cabin crew and maybe with 3 pilots, whereas SQ crew are contractually entitled to an overnight?

TR has always operated as a turnaround ex-PER, so you're correct.

sierrakilo44 wrote:
martinjc wrote:
I think the whole isolation thing is a media driven furphy. West Australians are sick of the only real travel destination being Broome with massively overpriced costs.

Bingo, the media are really going into overdrive with it particularly this week when there's no hard evidence (especially based on prior precedent - look at all the posturing that the hard border was going to stay up until Easter 2021 only for it to be quietly dropped in November 2020) that WA will do anything differently to the rest of the country come the 80% double vaxxed mark, but now we're going off topic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos