Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClassicLover

Re: Irish 8/21: Irish Aviation Thread - August 2021

Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:53 pm

Fliplot wrote:
Fine if all other carriers are providing a similar service but they are not. Most are back serving hot food and all the ancillary items. I thought that if you were fighting for bums on seats you would not fail to serve food or charge for hand bags. You would do your best to enhance your services.

You might want to take up your concerns directly with Aer Lingus management. I'm sure they can give you the details, then you can report back here to us about it :)

BrianDromey

Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:27 pm

Fliplot wrote:
Fine if all other carriers are providing a similar service but they are not. Most are back serving hot food and all the ancillary items. I thought that if you were fighting for bums on seats you would not fail to serve food or charge for hand bags. You would do your best to enhance your services.

Indeed. All that said the in-flight experience was perfectly acceptable. BA, as an example, are offering only pre-ordered items in short haul economy. You get a bag of crisps or a biscuit and a small bottle of water. If you have not pre-purchased anything, nothing is available for sale. At least EI have some options, even if they were not what was available pre-pandemic.

The hand luggage charging Im not sure about - easyJet have all but removed hand luggage, unless you pre-assign a seat in the from few rows, Vueling appears to have the same policy as EI. In the days of PLF, Vaccination Certificates and COVID testing you end up having to go to the check-in desk more often than not, so Im not completely against the policy of allowing a 10KG checked bag. Boarding is a compete circus these days on BA, where passengers arrive at the gate without all their documents from connecting flights.

Galwayman

Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:27 pm

AirbusA343 wrote:
I'm about to board TK1976, operated by an A333. I never imagined I'd ever be on a widebody on this route! The load factor is not too bad for the times we are in, especially for an A330-300 - would guess the load factor is around 50-60%.

Fantastic. TK are brilliant and the A330 is very frequent these days . TK have so been committed to DUB throughout all this madness, probably DUB's best LH carrier

Enjoy your trip

AirbusA343

Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:42 pm

Galwayman wrote:
AirbusA343 wrote:
I'm about to board TK1976, operated by an A333. I never imagined I'd ever be on a widebody on this route! The load factor is not too bad for the times we are in, especially for an A330-300 - would guess the load factor is around 50-60%.

Fantastic. TK are brilliant and the A330 is very frequent these days . TK have so been committed to DUB throughout all this madness, probably DUB's best LH carrier

Enjoy your trip

Thank you very much. It was a great flight, excellent food, very friendly FAs and comfortable economy seats. The flight was busier than I initially thought so I'd bump the LF up to 70%.

TK are indeed committed to the DUB route, there was talk of a third frequency to Dublin before the pandemic. Hopefully it comes to pass once things settle down.

Galwayman

Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:08 pm

AirbusA343 wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
AirbusA343 wrote:

Enjoy your trip

Thank you very much. It was a great flight, excellent food, very friendly FAs and comfortable economy seats. The flight was busier than I initially thought so I'd bump the LF up to 70%.

TK are indeed committed to the DUB route, there was talk of a third frequency to Dublin before the pandemic. Hopefully it comes to pass once things settle down.

They have the best food of any airline I'v ever flown on, and the crew are usually excellent plus Turkish hospitality can't be beaten - it's so much part of their culture. For anything East of Europe they're my number one choice.

OA260

Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:38 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
The hand luggage charging Im not sure about -

The new hand luggage rules continue to catch people out at check in and the gate. I saw a few have to pay at the gate in ACE . It just added delays and frustration. Although its not peak season as we know it Aer Lingus could have waited until October to introduce this or at least have a 8 week grace period and leeway for July and August .

They were really pushing their Prem Seats upgrades at check in . Overhead screens advertised them and signs at the desks .

In other news the next tranche of EU cancellations for Sept / Oct seem to be coming in . Certain flights cancelled on various days on the majority of EU routes.

neutral

Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:24 pm

Are EI happy to let traffic flow via Ryanair at the moment during recovery mode? Seems like a dangerous path as Ryanair are quite happy to provide the frequency to meet demand and surely demand will only improve. Pre Covid Dublin was the best revenue per passenger in Ryanair’s hubs.

shamrock321

Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:34 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
Fliplot wrote:

Indeed. All that said the in-flight experience was perfectly acceptable. BA, as an example, are offering only pre-ordered items in short haul economy. You get a bag of crisps or a biscuit and a small bottle of water. If you have not pre-purchased anything, nothing is available for sale. At least EI have some options, even if they were not what was available pre-pandemic.

The hand luggage charging Im not sure about - easyJet have all but removed hand luggage, unless you pre-assign a seat in the from few rows, Vueling appears to have the same policy as EI. In the days of PLF, Vaccination Certificates and COVID testing you end up having to go to the check-in desk more often than not, so Im not completely against the policy of allowing a 10KG checked bag. Boarding is a compete circus these days on BA, where passengers arrive at the gate without all their documents from connecting flights.

This is no longer through, BA offer drinks and non fresh food which you can you buy without pre ordering. Fresh food does still have to be pre ordered however. But at least you can order a G&T without ordering it the day before!

Fliplot

Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:40 pm

EI used to do that with the A330 flights to Malaga and Faro, in the good old days! Then I think it was €75 each way!

BestWestern

Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:55 pm

I did J class to LPA on the 330’s in 1998 - day trip to go for a swim - EI had changed from winter to summer config so had a few extra seats, so off four of us went.

OA260

Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:06 pm

Its looks like the USA cancellations are starting to come through up until mid October .

SFO / EWR / The 137 to BOS / Tues- Thurs - Sat to MCO and various YYZ .

nickya340

Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:36 pm

I did the Dublin to Kerry route today, the flight was nearly empty only about 20-25 pax onboard, I know it’s a Tuesday but it’s still very low.
I was surprised how short the flight was at only 32 minutes and how small Kerry Airport was, we landed and in just over 5 minutes you can be outside arrivals.

Overall it was a great flight!

OA260

Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:46 pm

The UK Civil Aviation Authority is pleased to confirm that it has granted an airline Operating Licence to Aer Lingus (UK) Limited, part of the Aer Lingus Group.

This allows the company to undertake transatlantic scheduled passenger services between the United Kingdom and the United States.

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/UK-Civil-Avi ... Lingus-(UK)-Limited/

AmricanShamrok

Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:46 pm

nickya340 wrote:
I did the Dublin to Kerry route today, the flight was nearly empty only about 20-25 pax onboard, I know it’s a Tuesday but it’s still very low.
I was surprised how short the flight was at only 32 minutes and how small Kerry Airport was, we landed and in just over 5 minutes you can be outside arrivals.

I was supposed to be on that flight today too but missed it due to my late arriving AA208 (ORD-DUB) flight due to weather in Chicago. On that note, if my AA flights are anything to go by, transatlantic loads overall are understandably quite poor given the ongoing US border restrictions. The load factor on last night's flight was under 50% (granted, they did use the slightly larger 787-9 due to operational reasons). The outbound a week ago was slightly better but still not fantastic. I paid just over €500 for a Basic Economy return fare just a few days before travelling. That says it all really.

I think AA has improved in terms of service since I last flew them on PHL-SNN in 2019; the replacement of older aircraft with newer 787s/777s a contributory factor no doubt. On the COVID front, all international departures with AA must now check-in in person with an airport agent (online/mobile is not available as PCR tests/vaccination/passenger locator documentation etc. needs to be verified at check-in). The DUB flight had two dedicated check-in lines at ORD.

ClassicLover

Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:37 pm

nickya340 wrote:

Great to hear another report on this flight. You're not wrong on how small Kerry Airport is - there are some pictures here - https://travelupdate.com/kerry-airport-farranfore-ireland/

I was pretty surprised at how small it was, but then I remembered that Galway and Waterford Airport had terminals just a small. One thing Kerry does have, which surprised me, was really modern equipment. They have one of those huge ramps for boarding, which I took a picture of when I was there.

They also have the modern security scanners like at Schiphol which don't require you to remove laptops or liquids. Definitely some cash has been invested in that airport.

OA260

Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:33 pm

ClassicLover wrote:

They also have the modern security scanners like at Schiphol which don't require you to remove laptops or liquids. Definitely some cash has been invested in that airport.

The governments funding for regional airports helped pay for those.

EIEIDW

Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:46 pm

nickya340 wrote:

Was also onboard! Flew straight back to DUB - similar number of people onboard.

nickya340

Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:47 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
nickya340 wrote:

Great to hear another report on this flight. You're not wrong on how small Kerry Airport is - there are some pictures here - https://travelupdate.com/kerry-airport-farranfore-ireland/

I was pretty surprised at how small it was, but then I remembered that Galway and Waterford Airport had terminals just a small. One thing Kerry does have, which surprised me, was really modern equipment. They have one of those huge ramps for boarding, which I took a picture of when I was there.

Yeah I saw that big ramp (surprised they had it too) but it wasn’t used for us because we just used one exit which shows how few passengers there were and only 1 door was needed.

I’ll be flying back to Dublin again tomorrow and I’ll report back but I’d say the flight will be just as empty unfortunately. Fortunate for me though because I get whatever seat I want with no extra costs.
AmricanShamrok wrote:
nickya340 wrote:

I was supposed to be on that flight today too but missed it due to my late arriving AA208 (ORD-DUB) flight due to weather in Chicago. On that note, if my AA flights are anything to go by, transatlantic loads overall are understandably quite poor given the ongoing US border restrictions. The load factor on last night's flight was under 50% (granted, they did use the slightly larger 787-9 due to operational reasons). The outbound a week ago was slightly better but still not fantastic. I paid just over €500 for a Basic Economy return fare just a few days before travelling. That says it all really.

I think AA has improved in terms of service since I last flew them on PHL-SNN in 2019; the replacement of older aircraft with newer 787s/777s a contributory factor no doubt. On the COVID front, all international departures with AA must now check-in in person with an airport agent (online/mobile is not available as PCR tests/vaccination/passenger locator documentation etc. needs to be verified at check-in). The DUB flight had two dedicated check-in lines at ORD.

That’s unfortunate :( at least the flights to Kerry are reasonably priced for you to rebook. We actually met someone who was meant to be on that flight (ORD-DUB) but they got a connection in PHL instead (they started in Atlanta) so she made her Kerry flight.

What was the load factor like across all the cabins?
I assume it was nearly all economy class due to little or no business travel right now.

nickya340

Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:55 pm

EIEIDW wrote:
nickya340 wrote:

Was also onboard! Flew straight back to DUB - similar number of people onboard.

I might do that next time. It’s worth it even just for the flight. So do you have to pass through security during the 25 minute turnaround time? Will Ryanair let you book the return tickets together or do you need to book them separately because it’s only 25 mins?
Thanks

EIBPI

Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:23 pm

Very few DUB-KIR-DUB have had many more than 20-30 on board. I really wonder what will happen when the second daily starts next month.

The new hand luggage scanners are a big improvement. Body scanners also replaced the old metal detectors. Meanwhile at arrivals, passport control was moved to after luggage collection.

JAmie2k9

Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:31 pm

Not sure why the KIR-DUB is getting so much attention. Passenger numbers are more or less normal. 30+ is a very good day!

Not even Ryanair can win this battle and create a profitable market.

Only back on it (and other older routes) because they have a lot of spare capacity.

ClassicLover

Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:52 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Body scanners also replaced the old metal detectors.

I'd forgotten about the body scanner! It's also a new one - you don't have to go inside the machine, you just stand in the open. That was the first one I'd ever come across, to be honest... from memory anyway - the attention I pay to security screening is pretty low to be fair.

EIBPI

Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:32 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Not sure why the KIR-DUB is getting so much attention. Passenger numbers are more or less normal. 30+ is a very good day!

Because we are unfortunately watching Ryanair (re-)launch a route everyone (incl. Ryanair) knows is going to fail badly and turn into a blame game. Not even Kerry airport wants to see Ryanair on DUB-KIR. As an aviation enthusiast and a regular passenger on domestic flights in Ireland, I would love to see it work for Ryanair but the Kerry market is just not there for a medium sized jet (and even less so with the current decent rail and road options, not to mention COVID).

In a perfect world, I think EI Regional 2.0 (Emerald or whoever else) could actually operate Kerry without a PSO subsidy, assuming a suitable aircraft, good timetable, and US and European one ticket connections (Are Lingus never officially sold one ticket European connections from KIR/CFN, although there were workarounds). Not everyone will agree, but the route could probably also absorb somewhat higher fares than previously paid by Aer Lingus/Stobart passengers.

Of course, dropping the PSO altogether is also very unlikely to happen with the local politics involved. The probably failure of the Ryanair PSO free operation will ironically further justify the need for a PSO for another long time.

alancostello

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:33 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
On the COVID front, all international departures with AA must now check-in in person with an airport agent (online/mobile is not available as PCR tests/vaccination/passenger locator documentation etc. needs to be verified at check-in). The DUB flight had two dedicated check-in lines at ORD.

Leaving the US you can still check-in online/mobile if you use the VeriFly app that they email you about, you just have to upload your test at least 4 hours before departure for verification and tick that you’ve completed the passenger locator form, it’s quite seamless and easy to do, I did it on AA208 last month. You’ve never been able to check in online for travel to the US from Ireland, or at least you may be able to check-in but they won’t let you generate a boarding pass, they have to verify ESTA/visa/residency before they’ll let you go to pre-clearance and you have to have a physical ticket. You can similarly use VeriFly to upload your test and not have to worry about that part at check-in.

OA260

Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:28 am

After disastrous year, airport hopes for upturn

The Farranfore facility suffered an operating loss after taxation of €144,996. That is compared to an after-taxation operating profit of €1,020,341 the previous year.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/kerr ... 38089.html

BestWestern

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:46 pm

I can only assume that loss is after state support was paid.

Regional airports are a state infrastructure investment - and so is sensible support for economically beneficial routes that bring inbound investment. KIR DUB isn’t one of those due to good ground links. Brussels, Dusseldorf and Paris would be. Malaga and Alicante bring nothing to the local economy.

BestWestern

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:50 pm

Ryanair operated SNN dub for a while. It felt like a personal jet service. I flew it about 15 times, and maximum loads were 50 one Friday afternoon. Worst was 9 of us. Pilot was an American on that one, and I remember him correctly saying ‘Lady and gentlemen’ and ‘dublin, Ireland’. It didn’t beat the EI widebody 330s in the Morning - more often than now, the crew would put you into J. So much better than driving to Dublin at the time.

Fliplot

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:54 pm

I was always amused when an American said Dublin, Ireland until in Yexas goibg to Dublin, Texas! The FR SNN American pilot was there for quite a while and quite a character. Now that a base is back has he returned?

AmricanShamrok

Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:03 pm

nickya340 wrote:

That’s unfortunate :( at least the flights to Kerry are reasonably priced for you to rebook. We actually met someone who was meant to be on that flight (ORD-DUB) but they got a connection in PHL instead (they started in Atlanta) so she made her Kerry flight.

What was the load factor like across all the cabins?
I assume it was nearly all economy class due to little or no business travel right now.

I didn't get a good look at Business so I'm not too sure.

alancostello wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
On the COVID front, all international departures with AA must now check-in in person with an airport agent (online/mobile is not available as PCR tests/vaccination/passenger locator documentation etc. needs to be verified at check-in). The DUB flight had two dedicated check-in lines at ORD.

Leaving the US you can still check-in online/mobile if you use the VeriFly app that they email you about, you just have to upload your test at least 4 hours before departure for verification and tick that you’ve completed the passenger locator form, it’s quite seamless and easy to do, I did it on AA208 last month. You’ve never been able to check in online for travel to the US from Ireland, or at least you may be able to check-in but they won’t let you generate a boarding pass, they have to verify ESTA/visa/residency before they’ll let you go to pre-clearance and you have to have a physical ticket. You can similarly use VeriFly to upload your test and not have to worry about that part at check-in.

Interesting. I had used Verifly and the app to check in but on joining the security queue, an agent sent me back to get a paper boarding pass (which had to have an orange sticker on it apparently verifying that I had all my documentation in order). At the boarding gate, all inbound connecting passengers to DUB were called to the podium to have their documentation verified and they too were issued with a new paper boarding pass with a stamp on it.

BrianDromey

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:56 am

https://simpleflying.com/jetblue-uk-us-travel-ban/

Not directly related to Irish aviation, but jetBlue have finally made their first adventure across the Atlantic. I think it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for jetBlue to get a foot in the door at LHR. I think most of us expected something like DUB or MAN as their first transatlantic route, but London itself has such strong demand in normal times I don't blame them for going for it while they had the chance. I do wonder if the A321LR is really the aircraft for the job in the longer term, especially once they have to acquire slots on the open market a few years down the road. It will be an exciting adventure to watch and I might be proved wrong on the LR. Both B6 and EI will be using it across the Atlantic, in some cases against widebodies, its all to play for.

I really do hope that the US market will reopen for Europeans before November (but I have said before that I can see Thanksgiving being a suitably important social holiday to be symbolic). It really does not make much sense to admit double vaccinated US Citizens/Residents from an EU destination when EU citizens/residents from the same area, vaccinated with the same vaccines are not admitted. Indeed an American citizen could have been vaccinated in the EU, while the EU citizen in the vaccination queue next to him would not be admitted to the US...

ClassicLover

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:38 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
Not directly related to Irish aviation, but jetBlue have finally made their first adventure across the Atlantic. I think it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for jetBlue to get a foot in the door at LHR. I think most of us expected something like DUB or MAN as their first transatlantic route, but London itself has such strong demand in normal times I don't blame them for going for it while they had the chance. I do wonder if the A321LR is really the aircraft for the job in the longer term, especially once they have to acquire slots on the open market a few years down the road. It will be an exciting adventure to watch and I might be proved wrong on the LR. Both B6 and EI will be using it across the Atlantic, in some cases against widebodies, its all to play for.

They may not have to acquire slots on the open market at all. The waivers for slots won't continue forever, and if airlines are unable to operate their former levels, their slots will be reduced accordingly, so airlines like JetBlue will have a great opportunity to continue on without the requirement to buy slots. I wish them all the best and hope they do well and make money on the services. Time will tell - no reason it shouldn't work for them anyway!

Fliplot

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:04 pm

Are the EI A321LRs not for less trodden routes and to add a second rotation on some routes without having overkill? B6 only has A321LRs and I thought their plan was frequest connectivity? Their problem will be a lack of seats on certain flights if their product/service is above average and liked? I suppose a champagne problem.

BestWestern

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:16 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
Fliplot wrote:
Are the EI A321LRs not for less trodden routes and to add a second rotation on some routes without having overkill? B6 only has A321LRs and I thought their plan was frequest connectivity? Their problem will be a lack of seats on certain flights if their product/service is above average and liked? I suppose a champagne problem.

That’s what yield Management is for …. But as you say that problem is for next year. They’ve already cut back from daily service later in the season, so it’s not going swimmingly.

OA260

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:15 pm

New Aer Lingus Bia menu for those that have not seen it

https://www.aerlingus.com/media/pdfs/bi ... onkpdHHgEI

IrishTexan

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:51 pm

Jambost

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:40 pm

Should be on the KIR-DUB sector on Sunday 26th September, so will report numbers. Anyone else heading to Killarney to see Bill Bailey?

Fliplot

Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:25 pm

Does the new Bia menu come with a limited availability sticker? Why produce a stylish menu if you are not going to provide the service?

So SNN get a LHR service because ORK can't accommodate. ORK people have to drive to SNN and SNN people might as well not book it as it wont be there after November!
Choices, choices!

cbchicago

Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:50 pm

Just a thought while EI is down, could they maybe replace their 1968 ASTRAL Reservations system?

nickya340

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:12 pm

Did the KIR-DUB route yesterday. Better LF than the day before, 45-50 on board but tbh I don’t think it will ever get much higher than that.

OA260

Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:05 am

EAG opts for hydrogen fuel cells on 90-seater, as CityJet backs programme

CityJet confirms its investment in EAG, but says it is “unable to disclose the specifics due to confidentiality reasons”.

www.flightglobal.com/airframers/eag-opt ... 18.article

factsonly

Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:39 am

The latest EUROCONTROL operational report shows that during this second week of August 2021:

- Aer Lingus operated at -66% of 2019
- Dublin Airport operated at -55% of 2019.

https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/defau ... 082021.pdf

In comparison:

- Athens -16% of 2019
- Palma -20%
- London Heathrow -59%
- London Gatwick -76%

- BA -70%
- SK -60%
- LH -50%
- AF -30%
- KL -23%
- Ryanair -17%
- Wizz -7%

ClassicLover

Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:51 am

nickya340 wrote:
Did the KIR-DUB route yesterday. Better LF than the day before, 45-50 on board but tbh I don’t think it will ever get much higher than that.

It could well be that because the flights are in the middle of the day that they are less popular? Once they go to morning and evening from 1 September, that might be better placed to capture demand.

It's funny though, so many people have no idea about the two Irish domestic routes. I was telling someone at work yesterday and she was like, "Oh, that would be really handy, we live near DUB, so we could fly down rather than having to take the long train journey". Absolutely! Shame there is no promotion of them really.

dstc47

Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:45 am

OA260 wrote:
EAG opts for hydrogen fuel cells on 90-seater, as CityJet backs programme

CityJet confirms its investment in EAG, but says it is “unable to disclose the specifics due to confidentiality reasons”.

http://www.flightglobal.com/airframers/ ... 18.article

Does the word "Hindenburg" come to mind?
After fun with the SSJ's perhaps another walk on the wild side.

metalinyoni

Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:22 am

dstc47 wrote:

Not sure if that's a fair comparison as technology has advanced in the subsequent 90 or so years and airliners already carry flammable fuel (I know they have very different ignition points.)

I think the point I am trying to make is that unnecessary scaremongering will only delay a possible solution to one of the biggest contributors to global warming. If Covid and the vaccines have taught us anything, unnecessary negativity is unhelpful.

BrianDromey

Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:52 am

factsonly wrote:
The latest EUROCONTROL operational report shows that during this second week of August 2021:

- Aer Lingus operated at -66% of 2019
- Dublin Airport operated at -55% of 2019.

https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/defau ... 082021.pdf

In comparison:

- Athens -16% of 2019
- Palma -20%
- London Heathrow -59%
- London Gatwick -76%

- BA -70%
- SK -60%
- LH -50%
- AF -30%
- KL -23%
- Ryanair -17%
- Wizz -7%

It's hard to know what to make of those numbers from the Irish point of view. Irish airports are down significantly, presumably driven by government decisions on travel restrictions. Ryanair are down 17% across their network, but DUB is down 55%. UK airports are also down by similar amounts, but delving deeper into the report, UK domestic traffic is recovering more strongly. Presumably, the staycation effect. From this data it does seem that the recovery is much stronger around the Mediterranean and probably driven by leisure traffic, again this is driven by domestic recovery and Greece features strongly, geography plays a role there.

The traffic pattern won't surprise many on here, countries that signalled to travellers that they would be welcome and could plan in advance like Spain and Greece are leading the recovery, countries that waited longer have missed much of the 2021 summer traffic. Intercontinental traffic is essentially a disaster zone, volumes to the Americas, Asia and Africa are all down 50% plus. Fares reported to be down ~20%. Many of those movements will be cargo flights, 'preighters' or passenger flights with cargo as the primary driver.

The change in demand may be a concern for the upcoming winter, if business travel does not return in a decent volume the schedules and loads might look fairly bleak on a lot of routes, especially long haul where both volume and fares are significantly down. JetBlue don't expect the US to open to EU travellers until November, according to an interview on one of the blogs. I hope that things will reopen sooner than that, because it will be a long winter otherwise.

dstc47 wrote:
After fun with the SSJ's perhaps another walk on the wild side.

Storage of any flammable fuel, aircraft structures and safety testing have moved on quite a bit since 1937. These days Hydrogen in road cars is stored in ballistic proof carbon fibre tanks, I assume aviation would be beyond even this. Jet-A1 is also highly flammable if it escapes, I guess Concorde is the most iconic example.

Why are cityJet getting involved in all of this? Who knows! Maybe they saw the fate that befell Stobart Air, keeping all their eggs in one basket. The SSJ was a brave decision and cityJet might have been able to remain competitive at LCY if it had worked out. I don't think it was ever certified in the end?

Fliplot

Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:34 am

Even if the SSJ had been certified for LCY I think Cityjet would have been in trouble. They had no spares for the aircraft and almost no chance of getting any.

The Soviet plan for spares was buy another aircraft and if you look at that industry today little has changed.

SRGVA67

Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:40 am

I've noticed that resumption of EI services between DUB and Switzerland has been further postponed until mid-October at the earliest while LX operates several flights a week from ZRH and GVA. ZRH isn't much of a surprise as they are feeding their STAR hub, but GVA seems to manage 3 flights on local demand only. What surprises me is that EI services to LYS have been operating for quite a while, if they were ever suspended. Is there really such a passenger demand between LYS and DUB or is this a matter of cargo demand ? Strangely enough FR manages to operate between BSL ( probably marketed as MLH/France ) and DUB, although that fact that they were flogging tickets at 5 EUR doesn't say much for their loads.
Any idea why Switzerland is no longer served by EI while LYS has managed to keep it's service ?

JAmie2k9

Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:51 am

3 FR routes from Dublin to Sibiu, Kosice and Plovdiv (resumption) starting in November/December.

OA260

Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:49 am

DY are to operate twice weekly to OSL and CPH .

BrianDromey

Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:06 pm

SRGVA67 wrote:
Any idea why Switzerland is no longer served by EI while LYS has managed to keep it's service ?

At a guess, LX have much stronger point of sale at their end and they have the dual hubs of FRA/ZRH to offer a wide range of connections onwards. Given the reduced non-stop options and reduced schedules to/from LHR it probably makes sense. IAG in general are being very cautious with the resumption of services and not operating cash negative flights. Given the scraps that EI would have on ZRH/GVA it hasn't met the requirements. As you say the fares to BSL are astonishingly low, why burn cash in the summer with a long winter ahead?

Fliplot wrote:
Even if the SSJ had been certified for LCY I think Cityjet would have been in trouble. They had no spares for the aircraft and almost no chance of getting any.

In the 4 years they had the SSJ it was never certified for London City and I don't think it is yet? Maybe with the low capital costs of the SSJ and the lower fuel burn compared to the AVRO's they would have had some chance? I'd love to know why it never happened, was it performance off the aircraft itself, or were the payloads so heavily restricted that it wouldn't make sense.
Looking at CityJet, what choice did they have in 2012? Newly cut adrift from AF/KL and with an ageing fleet they needed something to compete with BA. The CS-100 or E-170/190 were the obvious choices, the C-series can only park on some stands, so not ideal for a based airline. Somehow they stitched together a deal for SSJ's which must have suite all parties. Shame that Sukhoi couldn't deliver a reliable aircraft, certify it for use at LCY and deliver spares in a timely manner.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos