Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak

Re: Irish 8/21: Irish Aviation Thread - August 2021

Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:00 am

OA260 wrote:
The press are picking up on this now with more details.

Travel chaos at Dublin airport as passengers miss flights due to delays

The DAA has apologised after passengers at Dublin Airport were hit with lengthy queues this morning.

Some passengers reported waiting in line at security screening for almost two hours while others have complained about missing flights.

It comes as passenger numbers passing through the airport continue to increase following the easing of Covid-19 restrictions on international travel last month.

https://m.independent.ie/videos/travel- ... 98929.html

I was dispatching a flight in the early morning a few days back and at STD, we were still nearly 50 pax down! I can only imagine the frustration airline crews must face, not to mention the knock on delays. I'm sure many airlines will be writing to the DAA to tell them to get their act together, sharpish.

From a pax perspective, it must be all the more stressful. What happens in a case like this? You arrive at the airport 2h before, and yet miss your flight due to security. I can imagine EI, BA and "legacy" carriers being reasonable and putting people on the next flight, but what about FR? Could we see legal action being taken by pax (or groups of pax) against the DAA?

OA260

Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:15 am

kaitak wrote:
OA260 wrote:
The press are picking up on this now with more details.

Travel chaos at Dublin airport as passengers miss flights due to delays

The DAA has apologised after passengers at Dublin Airport were hit with lengthy queues this morning.

Some passengers reported waiting in line at security screening for almost two hours while others have complained about missing flights.

It comes as passenger numbers passing through the airport continue to increase following the easing of Covid-19 restrictions on international travel last month.

https://m.independent.ie/videos/travel- ... 98929.html

I was dispatching a flight in the early morning a few days back and at STD, we were still nearly 50 pax down! I can only imagine the frustration airline crews must face, not to mention the knock on delays. I'm sure many airlines will be writing to the DAA to tell them to get their act together, sharpish.

From a pax perspective, it must be all the more stressful. What happens in a case like this? You arrive at the airport 2h before, and yet miss your flight due to security. I can imagine EI, BA and "legacy" carriers being reasonable and putting people on the next flight, but what about FR? Could we see legal action being taken by pax (or groups of pax) against the DAA?

They should all sue the DAA then management might wake up. Staff morale is at an all time low and putting staff under such pressures at security is actually dangerous. Apparently management came took a look then hurried back to their offices and hid. Heads should roll.

OA260

Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:19 am

Two air passengers an hour were denied travel over issues with Covid documents

Two passengers every hour were refused boarding to aircraft at Irish airports because of problems with Covid-19 test certificates or pandemic travel documentation.

https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/tr ... 00442.html

Fliplot

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:48 am

Are the security check services not contracted in at DUB? I have never found them to be anything other than moody and rude. And it's about time the scanning equioment was updated to wrap around. Taking off ones belts and shoes, and displaying electronic equipment separately, is quite old world now. Queues at the two areas contracted in, security and immugration, tells it's own story.

ClassicLover

Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:05 am

Fliplot wrote:
Are the security check services not contracted in at DUB? I have never found them to be anything other than moody and rude. And it's about time the scanning equioment was updated to wrap around. Taking off ones belts and shoes, and displaying electronic equipment separately, is quite old world now. Queues at the two areas contracted in, security and immugration, tells it's own story.

I've always found security staff at Dublin to be quite pleasant for the most part. The only place I ever see them being particularly grumpy is at Heathrow. With regards to the equipment, all airports are going to eventually upgrade, but it can't be cheap to do, that's for sure.

OA260

Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:24 am

Cork airport planes to divert to Dublin for 10 weeks

Dublin airport will receive a boost next month with the bulk of Cork airport’s traffic set to divert to the capital as Cork closes for a ten-week runway upgrade programme.

Cork is slightly more than 80pc down on its normal traffic volumes.

www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavir ... 00441.html

Good news is that subject to no C-19 surprises ORK expects a bumper Christmas season. Hopefully that is the case.

--

Re DUB airport security staff I have rarely had an issue with them. They are generally ok and do the job they are paid to do. Under the strain they were put through recently I dont expect
them to be singing and dancing and all smiling. Id be fed up too.

Fliplot

Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:15 pm

Yet their current circumstance is of their own making. It is their responsibility to provide the service and if they are undermanned surely it's their responsibility?
The fast lane is usually a farce. Short queue to get to security and then join the madness that is security. I never understood why airlines paid for the make believe service.

Fliplot

Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:17 pm

Please can anyone remember if Austrian served DUB / VIE? I remember Tyrolean/Austrian on DUB / INN and ocassional Graz and Salzburg charters
Thanks

JAmie2k9

Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:33 pm

Fliplot wrote:
Please can anyone remember if Austrian served DUB / VIE? I remember Tyrolean/Austrian on DUB / INN and ocassional Graz and Salzburg charters
Thanks

Yes they served VIE scheduled for a brief period. Sometime between 2009-2012 but would need to check the dates.

Edit - Seasonal service started May 2009 and didn't return for summer 2010. It was operated by Tyrolean who also operated charters in addition to Lauda on the chartered routes mentioned.

OA260

Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:55 pm

Fliplot wrote:
Thanks

Yes I did a BMI Star Alliance redemption years ago in J DUB - VIE - BEG. It had a Austrian flight number operated by Lauda B737 . The J seats were proper 2-2 recliner style . Great service and hot meals .

AmricanShamrok

Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:56 pm

Fliplot wrote:
Thanks

Yes, OS/VO did have scheduled ops on DUB-VIE in the 2000s decade (any maybe before but the data I have only dates back to 2000). Below is what I could find. They didn't seem to have any scheduled ops on INN or GRZ (they may have had charters though).

Summer 2000
13 weekly (twice daily every day except Sunday)

I don't have data for 2001-2004

Summer 2005
6 weekly (Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/2x Sat)

Winter 2005/06
No scheduled service

Summer 2006
2 weekly (Wed/Sat)

Winter 2006/07 to Winter 2008/09
No scheduled service

Summer 2009
1 weekly (Fri/Sat night stop at DUB)

No scheduled service from S09 to the present day.

shamrock350

Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:15 pm

Aer Lingus Lounge officially reopens on 1st September.

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/14 ... 11170?s=20

It looks like the refurbishment was a mid-life refresh as expected, no major interior remodelling but I don't think anyone seriously expected that.

The design choices are very much in keeping with the previous style, plenty of neutral tones with the new corporate teal and green colour scheme added to various points. Same food offering of sandwiches, salads, snacks etc. but you can now order via a QR code and digital menu which should allow some more flexibility going forward should they ever feel the need to expand the menu. Lots more seating by the looks of it, wireless charging points, the old grassy carpets and computer stations are gone. The bar area has been improved slightly to allow more passing space, gone are the individual tables and chairs, replaced by a bar and stools along the window.

Overall, nice but nothing spectacular.

OA260

Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:53 pm

No issues at lunchtime today only a handful going through normal security and empty at Fast Track . I was through the Fast Track lane in 3 mins and friendly staff.

Fliplot

Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:09 pm

Thanks all
Remembered VO and OS but forgot all about Lauda.

ClassicLover

Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:42 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Aer Lingus Lounge officially reopens on 1st September.

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/14 ... 11170?s=20

It looks like the refurbishment was a mid-life refresh as expected, no major interior remodelling but I don't think anyone seriously expected that.

The design choices are very much in keeping with the previous style, plenty of neutral tones with the new corporate teal and green colour scheme added to various points. Same food offering of sandwiches, salads, snacks etc. but you can now order via a QR code and digital menu which should allow some more flexibility going forward should they ever feel the need to expand the menu. Lots more seating by the looks of it, wireless charging points, the old grassy carpets and computer stations are gone. The bar area has been improved slightly to allow more passing space, gone are the individual tables and chairs, replaced by a bar and stools along the window.

Overall, nice but nothing spectacular.

I like the better division of the space with the green dividers - it makes things feel more cosy. The pod seats look nice enough too and I'm glad the computer stations are gone, as they were fairly useless.

Overall a good effort, and certainly due since it's been over 10 years now since it opened. I guess we can expect it to stay exactly like this until 2030 then :)

Quite looking forward to checking it out, I must say.

Eirules

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:20 pm

The food offering still appears to be pretty mediocre in the EI lounge. Better than before but given Dublin is their home airport, no real hot food is pretty weak

EI320

Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:10 pm

Are they charging for the sandwiches and salads? The absence of the word “complimentary” is suspect. I wouldn’t put it past them.

Lounge generally looks fine. Nothing to write home about but is consistent with EI’s mid-market positioning.

I’m more concerned about delays at security. Friend going through at 6PM this evening waited 35-40 mins. What’s going on? Staff shortages? DAA need to get their act together as these delays are inexcusable. DAA are aware of how many passengers are traveling through each day and should resource accordingly.

OA260

Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:50 pm

Until there is more consistency I recommend anyone flying early morning or between 5-7 pm to buy Fast Track just to be on the safe side. Also all of the hand sanitisers are empty at DUB and lots of people pressing them only to find nothing in them . Thats pure laziness by DAA management not to mention dangerous !

Fliplot

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:28 pm

I wasn't aware the DAA managment were that hands on? Dont they have staff to sort out the sanatizers? Don't always blame managment though I am usually unhappy with the standard of cleanliness at DUB. In the past the food halls in DUB were filthy, the toilets always stink and the floors never look cleaned! Has anyone cleaned the windows recently?

Clydenairways

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:35 pm

EI320 wrote:
I’m more concerned about delays at security. Friend going through at 6PM this evening waited 35-40 mins. What’s going on? Staff shortages? DAA need to get their act together as these delays are inexcusable. DAA are aware of how many passengers are traveling through each day and should resource accordingly.

Surely the DAA have some sort or system where the expected passenger flows can be predicted? They should be able to plan manpower based on something other than just guesswork. Do they get expected loads from the airlines?

OA260

Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:30 pm

Fliplot wrote:
I wasn't aware the DAA managment were that hands on? Dont they have staff to sort out the sanatizers? Don't always blame managment though I am usually unhappy with the standard of cleanliness at DUB. In the past the food halls in DUB were filthy, the toilets always stink and the floors never look cleaned! Has anyone cleaned the windows recently?

Instructions come from the top as do the short staffing issues .

Fliplot

Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:05 pm

I do know how a management structure works! I just find it interesting that no employee can actually replace an empty hand sanatizer. That explains rhe dirty toilets, food halls and floors too. Might also explain all those walking around the airport, folders under arms and doing nothing!

The old civil service method - look busy, do nothing and don't admit to anything!

JAmie2k9

Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:47 pm

OA260 wrote:
Until there is more consistency I recommend anyone flying early morning or between 5-7 pm to buy Fast Track just to be on the safe side. Also all of the hand sanitisers are empty at DUB and lots of people pressing them only to find nothing in them . Thats pure laziness by DAA management not to mention dangerous !

All of them, how early did you arrive to CHECK ALL of them across both terminals? In the region of 1,000 stations at DUB.

Lets stick to the facts and not get carried away...

OA260

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:16 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

All of them, how early did you arrive to CHECK ALL of them across both terminals? In the region of 1,000 stations at DUB.

Yep ALL of them . I have been flying weekly since 19/7 and T2 and T1 everyone Ive tried to use and seen others trying to use all out . Entry to T2 empty . Security control empty . Duty free areas and numerous gate areas empty. Toilet Sinks and taps for washing hands near gate 107 today broken .

T1 today entrance empty / duty free empty gates empty so if you know where the full ones or even 1/4 full are please do post locations ? Either you are not traveling or not using or trying to use the dispensers!

JAmie2k9

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:40 pm

OA260 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Yep ALL of them . I have been flying weekly since 19/7 and T2 and T1 everyone Ive tried to use and seen others trying to use all out . Entry to T2 empty . Security control empty . Duty free areas and numerous gate areas empty. Toilet Sinks and taps for washing hands near gate 107 today broken .

T1 today entrance empty / duty free empty gates empty so if you know where the full ones or even 1/4 full are please do post locations ? Either you are not traveling or not using or trying to use the dispensers!

I hope you take the grievance further than an aviation forum and invest in a personal supply.

OA260

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:51 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

I hope you take the grievance further than an aviation forum and invest in a personal supply.

DAA do read here and so do their employees ;) . Other people have complained to them on their social media platforms. Lets see if by magic they start to work ! No point releasing fancy PR videos about covid safe travel if aspects are lacking. I don't have a horse in the race so never touches a nerve with me . Im just a frequent flyer who like everyone else pays their fees and expects a half decent facility / service . When it works I praise it when it doesn't I give my criticism.

Fliplot

Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:00 am

As ever the Irish fix - bring your own sanitizer! I guess we should bring toilet paper and wipes for the toilets and dont forget a mop for the floors!

I hear a covid excuse being prepared!

JAmie2k9

Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:22 am

OA260 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

DAA do read here and so do their employees ;) . Other people have complained to them on their social media platforms. Lets see if by magic they start to work ! No point releasing fancy PR videos about covid safe travel if aspects are lacking. I don't have a horse in the race so never touches a nerve with me . Im just a frequent flyer who like everyone else pays their fees and expects a half decent facility / service . When it works I praise it when it doesn't I give my criticism.

That may well be the case and insinuating I am employee is way off the mark. Complaining via social media isn't a complaint nor recorded as one. It can be effective but only if it gains traction like the security issues. Somehow I don't think hand sanitizer will make the same headlines.

You need to give your criticism to the right people.

OA260

Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:30 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
That may well be the case and insinuating I am employee is way off the mark. Complaining via social media isn't a complaint nor recorded as one. It can be effective but only if it gains traction like the security issues. Somehow I don't think hand sanitizer will make the same headlines.

You need to give your criticism to the right people.

Sorry I don't see where I insinuated anything thats maybe you reading into things .

Fliplot

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:02 am

If a frequent flyer cannot criticise, then who should? The point remains rhe same whether it is security or sanatizer, namely provide the service that you advertise. The DAA put it's hands up for the security mess, it would have been better putting it's hands in its pockets and sort out the flights missed.

goldcrest

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:09 am

I travelled back through Dublin on the 29th Aug. No queue entering security at T2, but once inside a long line down to the two screening points for bags, and 1 arch detector for customers, this was at 4pm.

Staff seemed more interested in chatting than processing customers efficiently. 20 min queue for no apparent reason.

Once airside, poor facilities in T2 to avail off. Most retail outlets closed, the bar was open, and that was it.

I took a stroll to T1 via the airside walkway, and the terminal was very busy. Plenty of retail/food/beverege options.

On returning to T2 at approx 1730, I went down to the gates, awaiting the EI246 to LGW, everything closed apart from WH Smith. I understand volumes aren't what they were, but T2 is lacking some real basic facilities. Tea/Coffee etc. Not everyone wants to sit in a bar.

I wonder if DAA would have been better consolidating all operations in one terminal (if numbers permitted) and offer a decent service to all customers.

ClassicLover

Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:55 am

EI320 wrote:
Are they charging for the sandwiches and salads? The absence of the word “complimentary” is suspect. I wouldn’t put it past them.

I wouldn't think so, the QR code ordering looks to be the same as what BA use in their London lounges. It's to prevent people wandering about. I'll be curious to see if these things stay available post-pandemic.

OA260

Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:20 am

Passenger numbers climb at Kerry Airport as routes take off again

Traffic at airport not expected to return to pre-pandemic levels for ‘years’, agm hears

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 0?mode=amp

iRISH251

Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:57 am

Fliplot wrote:
I do know how a management structure works! I just find it interesting that no employee can actually replace an empty hand sanatizer. That explains rhe dirty toilets, food halls and floors too. Might also explain all those walking around the airport, folders under arms and doing nothing!

The old civil service method - look busy, do nothing and don't admit to anything!

Funny how people reach for a reference to the civil service when they want to highlight inefficiency. Must be watching too many re-runs of "Yes, MInister".

ClassicLover

Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:12 am

OA260 wrote:
Passenger numbers climb at Kerry Airport as routes take off again

I wonder how long for though - Radio Kerry reports Ryanair is committed to Kerry until "at least February".

https://www.radiokerry.ie/news/ryanair-committed-to-kerry-dublin-route-until-at-least-february-249071

Hopefully the numbers will stack up, otherwise Amapola Flyg might be called on to run some Fokker 50s down there :)

kaitak

Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:40 pm

Irish 9/21 is now ready for push and start:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1464355

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos