Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boston757
Topic Author

Spirit operational challenges

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:23 pm

Channel 10 news in South Florida just reported from FLL airport that Pilots and Flight Attendants have gone on strike. Who new!! Didn’t realize the pilots were nearing being released by the NMB. The FAs have no idea about where they’re at except walked out too.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title for clarity

TWA302

Re: Spirts current situation

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:37 pm

Boston757 wrote:
Channel 10 news in South Florida just reported from FLL airport that Pilots and Flight Attendants have gone on strike. Who new!! Didn’t realize the pilots were nearing being released by the NMB. The FAs have no idea about where they’re at except walked out too.

Can you post a link or something? Not seeing anything on WPLG.

C525C

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:01 pm

Spirit pilots and flight attendants are NOT on strike. They’re not even in contract negotiations.

NorthTexAAs

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:02 pm

TWA302

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:06 pm

C525C wrote:
Spirit pilots and flight attendants are NOT on strike. They’re not even in contract negotiations.

Well, something is going on at FLL. Look at all the delayed and cancelled yellow buses

https://www.broward.org/Airport/passengers/Flights/Pages/FlightInformationArrivals.aspx

Pretty sure we will be seeing another embarrassing video from passengers soon. Lol.

If it is pilots upset over pay, what is the average comp of a Spirit pilot versus say G4, F9?

Boston757
Topic Author

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:09 pm

Channel 10 is now reporting it’s not a strike. However, the Airline is declining to comment.

AAIL86

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:12 pm

Good luck getting rebooked on a later flight or another carrier in a situation like this.
One of the biggest reasons to avoid NK, in my opinion.
" Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ” - Mark Twain, 1869

jayunited

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:29 pm

Spirit's only comment "there is no strike", ALPA's only comment "there is no strike", but neither organization is willing to provide more information.

Since there is no strike then this must be an unofficial call in sick day which is terrible for passengers but I'm sure Spirit's pilots choose to do this on a Sunday because they already know Sunday's are one of the most busiest travel days of the week and other airline would little to no seats available and those that do would charge 3x, 4x, or eve, 5x as much for a last minute ticket.

MIflyer12

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:41 pm

Passengers at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport told Local 10 News’ Madeleine Wright on Sunday that pilots are once again on strike, and so are the flight attendants.

It’s not clear where the passengers got that idea though.

Responding to a request for comment, Spirit Airlines told Local 10 News that no one is on strike.

The airline did not specify, however, what was causing the delays and cancellations.

The Air Line Pilots Association also told Local 10 News that there is no strike happening with Spirit Airlines.

Such is the quality of much mass journalism in the U.S. today.

From the link provided by NorthTexAAs.

FlyingElvii

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:49 pm

Looks like all of this started at about 5PM last night, flightaware shows 81 cancels so far. Not just FLL, but across several bases.

TerminalD

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:00 pm

AAIL86 wrote:
Good luck getting rebooked on a later flight or another carrier in a situation like this.

Then the legacy strategy of denying low priced airlines interline agreements to hurt them financially is working perfectly. Great. Before deregulation interline agreements were not optional.

usflyer msp

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:28 pm

Considering it was the last day of the month, could NK crews have been out of hours for the month?

9w748capt

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:41 pm

TerminalD wrote:
AAIL86 wrote:

Then the legacy strategy of denying low priced airlines interline agreements to hurt them financially is working perfectly. Great. Before deregulation interline agreements were not optional.

Haha is that why DL declined to have an interline agreement with AA all those years? I know that's not what you exactly meant but it's kinda funny.

FlyingElvii

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:02 pm

9w748capt wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
AAIL86 wrote:

Haha is that why DL declined to have an interline agreement with AA all those years? I know that's not what you exactly meant but it's kinda funny.

No…
After the Branniff debacle, Southwest and a couple of others pulled out of interlining. They didn’t want to risk the power of on-demand presentation bankrupting them, as well.

As Delta developed the fortress hubs, especially CVG, someone at HQ noted that they were giving away ruled seats for United xcls at less than $100 bucks, while commanding $1;000 plus walk ups for those same seats. Being in the agreements was costing them money.
ORD and Den have always been rough places when the weather hits, and someone noticed the trend that United would cancel flights into competitor hubs first, where pax could be easily reaccomodated at little cost, while continuing to run the profitable trips. All of this was pre-bankruptcy.

FlyingElvii

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:37 pm

Perusing Twitter, it seems to be centered around FLL and MCO.
https://twitter.com/search?q=Spirit%20a ... ery&f=live

KlimaBXsst

Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:02 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
Considering it was the last day of the month, could NK crews have been out of hours for the month?

Great observation by BTW.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

usflyer msp

Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:02 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Thanks. I canttotally see how that could get translated into a pilot strike by passengers. The (outsourced) gate agents probably told the pax the flight was cancelled because of limits in the union contract (not FAR's) and to the passengers that translates into a pilot strike.

KlimaBXsst

Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:06 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Thanks. I canttotally see how that could get translated into a pilot strike by passengers. The (outsourced) gate agents probably told the pax the flight was cancelled because of limits in the union contract (not FAR's) and to the passengers that translates into a pilot strike.

Unfortunately is does seem Spirit does not rebook on other airlines for irregular operations. I think someone mentioned this earlier so I am providing a link.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spirit- ... ement.html

Woodreau

Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:50 am

usflyer msp wrote:

That is no longer possible anymore. 117 changed it from 100 flight hours per calendar month to 100 flight hours per previous 672-hour window.

And from 1000 flight hours per calendar year to 1000 flight hours per previous 365 day window.

So if pilots are flying “a lot” it’s possible to time out at 100 hrs per “month” during the first week or second week of the “month” or 1000 hours in February or March as it is possible to tome out at the end of the month and November or December.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

TerminalD

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:36 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
TerminalD wrote:

No…
After the Branniff debacle, Southwest and a couple of others pulled out of interlining. They didn’t want to risk the power of on-demand presentation bankrupting them, as well.

As Delta developed the fortress hubs, especially CVG, someone at HQ noted that they were giving away ruled seats for United xcls at less than $100 bucks, while commanding $1;000 plus walk ups for those same seats. Being in the agreements was costing them money.
ORD and Den have always been rough places when the weather hits, and someone noticed the trend that United would cancel flights into competitor hubs first, where pax could be easily reaccomodated at little cost, while continuing to run the profitable trips. All of this was pre-bankruptcy.

Southwest pre-deregulation was not under the regulatory review of the federal govt because they were an intrastate carrier. So they had no pressure to interline.

Wacker1000

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:39 pm

Hopefully everyone is enjoying their $27.95 fare. Legacies definitely have cost structure issues but there is still reasoning behind why flying costs more than Greyhound or Amtrak.

KlimaBXsst

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:44 pm

ONE has to add maybe a complete Spirit Airlines failure, could boost fare yield recovery of the entire airline industry.

Perhaps this NK operational meltdown could even amount to being a good thing especially with the media’s and governments promotion of a second wave of Delta strain Covid.

Could we be seeing the first signs of the wheels coming off the economic wagon again in the industry?

MIflyer12

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:55 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
ONE has to add maybe a complete Spirit Airlines failure, could boost fare yield recovery of the entire airline industry.

Perhaps this NK operational meltdown could even amount to being a good thing especially with the media’s and governments promotion of a second wave of Delta strain Covid.

Could we be seeing the first signs of the wheels coming off the economic wagon again in the industry?

You recognize that AA on Monday cancelled the same fraction of flights as NK did Sunday, right?

Airline employees and fanbois and their schadenfreude... sheesh.

KlimaBXsst

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:12 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:
ONE has to add maybe a complete Spirit Airlines failure, could boost fare yield recovery of the entire airline industry...

You recognize that AA on Monday cancelled the same fraction of flights as NK did Sunday, right.

No I did not. Perhaps because of AA’s ability to protect its customers upon other airlines or on other AA flights? I conjecture NKs problems are bigger than AA’s, despite ones implies tone.

Speaking of treatment... I did notice JetBlue’s snow meltdown ... as seen here... was never relegated to polls and forums like Northwest Airlines never was either.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=446369&hilit=JetBlue+snow+meltdown

alpine1989

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:24 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

You recognize that AA on Monday cancelled the same fraction of flights as NK did Sunday, right?

Airline employees and fanbois and their schadenfreude... sheesh.

Well there were multiple rounds of storms on Sunday impacting DFW. Many diversions and crew timeouts for AA.

Since then , NK continues to cancel a larger percentage of flights as compared to AA.

Monday 8/2/21
NK - 334 flights (42%)
AA - 563 flights (18%)

Tuesday 8/3/21(through 1015 CDT)
NK - 291 flights (42%)
AA - 284 flights (9%)

Alpine1989

alberchico

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:35 pm

I'm not condoning violence or aggression but it's gotta be frustrating for passengers. There are a lot of people in this country who travel with only the bare minimum, so if your flight gets cancelled and you're stuck waiting several days for it you might not be able to afford a hotel room. What are you supposed to do then ?
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

n92r03

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:13 pm

alberchico wrote:
There are a lot of people in this country who travel with only the bare minimum, so if your flight gets cancelled and you're stuck waiting several days for it you might not be able to afford a hotel room. What are you supposed to do then ?

If one is traveling for an emergency (to visit a sick relative/friend) then I understand and that would be terrible. However, if people are simply traveling because 'they can' or because 'they want to', then perhaps they should prioritize their needs and wants. Make no mistake I am not here to defend Spirit or any other airline, but if one is not prepared to handle a cancellation or other issue that comes up then perhaps they should not be flying.

For the record, I needed to travel to Asheville in March for a family emergency. Allegiant had a nonstop, I booked same day for $250 one way, figured a 90 minute flight would be fine. Got through security and waiting at the gate and was texted the flight was cancelled literally 30 minutes prior to departure. It sucked. But it t really sucked for the people with families that were trying to get home on a Sunday evening... I drove across the bridge to TPA and paid $450 for a one way ticket to CLT, rented a car and drove to Asheville.

Bottom line is buyer beware. Stuff happens at B6, WN, UA, AA and DL too but at least they have the assets (usually) to pick up the pieces. Oh and Allegiant told me I can use that $250 sometime in the future...I'll take a pass on that.

TerminalD

Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:24 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:
ONE has to add maybe a complete Spirit Airlines failure, could boost fare yield recovery of the entire airline industry...

You recognize that AA on Monday cancelled the same fraction of flights as NK did Sunday, right.

No I did not. Perhaps because of AA’s ability to protect its customers upon other airlines or on other AA flights? I conjecture NKs problems are bigger than AA’s, despite ones implies tone.

Speaking of treatment... I did notice JetBlue’s snow meltdown ... as seen here... was never relegated to polls and forums like Northwest Airlines never was either.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=446369&hilit=JetBlue+snow+meltdown

Spirit likely doesn’t want a place for people to reveal what the real issue is. I’ve never seen a meltdown like this with no real reason given. I’m actually not sure I’ve ever seen anything this bad in terms of % cxld for days on end at any large airline. Particularly when there is not a clear weather cause.

atcsundevil

Re: Spirit operational challenges

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:39 am

This discussion is occurring in the Spirit thread, but this discussion deserves its own thread in Civil Aviation, particularly due to the widespread impact of these cancelations.

✈️ atcsundevil

Jshank83

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:21 am

At this point to me it has to be one of two things to last this long.

1. Tech issue
2. Manpower issue

They can’t keep blaming weather.

Either they have a major tech issue keeping them from running at capacity or they are short staff.

With all the cancels already tomorrow they should be getting pressed hard to give a better explanation.

spinkid

Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:05 am

Jshank83 wrote:

1. Tech issue
2. Manpower issue

Either they have a major tech issue keeping them from running at capacity or they are short staff.

With all the cancels already tomorrow they should be getting pressed hard to give a better explanation.

It could certainly be both. If you have tech issues with scheduling it can cause your crews to time out, especially if they and the planes are out of place due to irrops from the weather this week.

I don't understand why they won't ask a charter carrier to help them clear out the back log of passengers. Today was a Tuesday, so I would think Allegiant , Sun Country and Frontier would have extra planes around (or would they just say no thanks because they are competitors?) If not them, there are still carriers like Eastern who would take the work if asked.

KFLLCFII

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:35 am

spinkid wrote:
Sun Country and Frontier would have extra planes around (or would they just say no thanks because they are competitors?) If not them, there are still carriers like Eastern who would take the work if asked.

Is there a company now that would willingly take on Spirit's passengers?
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:48 am

spinkid wrote:

I don't understand why they won't ask a charter carrier to help them clear out the back log of passengers. Today was a Tuesday, so I would think Allegiant , Sun Country and Frontier would have extra planes around (or would they just say no thanks because they are competitors?) If not them, there are still carriers like Eastern who would take the work if asked.

Hmmm... No. Money is money. It is irresponsible to turn away revenue just because it comes from competition. I do not know what they will do now, however.
It’s perfectly natural to be surprised by something coming at you faster than light. You’d never see it coming anyway. . .

DaCubbyBearBar

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:52 am

Flightaware is showing that 61%, or 429 flights yesterday were canceled with another 130 flights delayed, or 18%. Adds up to 79%. That is just a MASSIVE number. For today so far, 304 cancellations, or 45% of scheduled flights. My heart ❤️ goes out to those on the front line and to the passengers.
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

DaCubbyBearBar

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:59 am

Jshank83 wrote:

1. Tech issue
2. Manpower issue

I concur…. The cancellations are coast to coast and the weather isn’t that bad right now. Someone knows the truth.
NK has too many mini hubs for weather to be effecting all of them…
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

EBiafore99

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:03 am

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

1. Tech issue
2. Manpower issue

I concur…. The cancellations are coast to coast and the weather isn’t that bad right now. Someone knows the truth.
NK has too many mini hubs for weather to be effecting all of them…

This IS a scenario where I would welcome government intervention...NK has been "resetting" operations for three days now. They need a new story.

DashTrash

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:18 am

spinkid wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

1. Tech issue
2. Manpower issue

It could certainly be both. If you have tech issues with scheduling it can cause your crews to time out, especially if they and the planes are out of place due to irrops from the weather this week.

I don’t know what scope clauses are in the applicable CBAs, but I highly doubt that idea is compliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockAir

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:57 am

My flight on United for today 8/4 - MCO DEN was upgaged from a 753 to 772. Probably related to all the Spirit cx in MCO.
Last edited by RockAir on Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

KlimaBXsst

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:14 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:

Great question... why does Spirit not “charter” some rescue flights to get the operation back on track.

This has been known to happen in other airline failures during the course of deregulation. Would such an outlay tip Spirit over the financial edge? Probably not ... but I really do not know Spirits financials.

FlapOperator

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:34 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:

Great question... why does Spirit not “charter” some rescue flights to get the operation back on track.

This has been known to happen in other airline failures during the course of deregulation. Would such an outlay tip Spirit over the financial edge? Probably not ... but I really do not know Spirits financials.

Because the word is that it isn’t a crew or aircraft issue. It’s a IT, scheduling, ramp personnel and gate agent issue.

ScottB

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:37 pm

And up to 46% cancelled for today according to FlightAware.

mcdu

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:38 pm

I feel bad for the passengers. But what do you really expect if you do any research beyond buying the cheapest ticket? For NK, this is just the consequence of their own actions. Canceling 60% of your schedule and losing operational control is a great way to get some extra FAA oversight. Perhaps even certificate action. This is something that can kill a company if they can’t get their act together soon.

CRJ5000

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:50 pm

mcdu wrote:
I feel bad for the passengers. But what do you really expect if you do any research beyond buying the cheapest ticket? For NK, this is just the consequence of their own actions. Canceling 60% of your schedule and losing operational control is a great way to get some extra FAA oversight. Perhaps even certificate action. This is something that can kill a company if they can’t get their act together soon.

The current situation is certainly inexcusable and it would be nice to see some real ownership, but as far as performance goes, NK has improved by leaps and bounds in nearly every metric.
They frequently have better on time and completion factors than some legacies. I certainly think if "certificate action" needs to be taken, then its more of an industry thing...

With that being said, these summer meltdowns seem to be an annual thing at Spirit, albeit not usually this bad. They have to figure that out.

usflyer msp

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:51 pm

NK has not had a flight leave SJU since Sunday. The keep cancelling everything a few hours before departure.
They just need to be honest with their passengers and cancel all the flights for this week.

"Due to staffing issues with our vendor we are unable to maintain service to SJU for the foreseeable future. All passengers with tickets to SJU until XXX date should make alternate travel arrangements and will receive a full refund. We apologize for the inconvenience."

It is unconscionable. Puerto Rico is an island so it is not like these passengers can just hop in a car or bus and take ground transport home. All they are doing right now is pissing people off more and more. I'm sure the local police and airport staff are tired of dealing with their passengers.

Sooner787

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:42 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
NK has not had a flight leave SJU since Sunday. The keep cancelling everything a few hours before departure.
They just need to be honest with their passengers and cancel all the flights for this week.

"Due to staffing issues with our vendor we are unable to maintain service to SJU for the foreseeable future. All passengers with tickets to SJU until XXX date should make alternate travel arrangements and will receive a full refund. We apologize for the inconvenience."

It is unconscionable. Puerto Rico is an island so it is not like these passengers can just hop in a car or bus and take ground transport home. All they are doing right now is pissing people off more and more. I'm sure the local police and airport staff are tired of dealing with their passengers.

I'd say it's time for NK to charter some planes to clear out their stranded SJU guests, but who would work the ramp?

usflyer msp

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:47 pm

If they charter SY, they have a station in SJU.

ScottB

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:50 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

The crazy thing is they're still selling tickets to/from SJU for today on flights which are almost certain to not operate.

stlgph

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:03 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

This has been my personal favorite:
https://www.foxla.com/news/pregnant-wom ... of-flights
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

ScottB

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:07 pm

stlgph wrote:

How did she end up at LAX with a Cleveland-Atlanta itinerary?

stlgph

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:33 pm

ScottB wrote:
stlgph wrote:

How did she end up at LAX with a Cleveland-Atlanta itinerary?

Who the hell knows? That'd be the first question I would be asking!
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport