Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DL757NYC
Topic Author

Boeing 747-8i Cargo Conversion

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:10 am

Came across this listing and apparently they will sell aircraft with a 747-400BCF door installed. Obviously won’t have the nose loading door. I was told it was impossible to convert the 747-8i to cargo. I was surprised UPS didn’t take the last 4 -8f being built. Is this end of production a hard date or subject to a large order. I would imagine for UPS even a converted-8 is better than nothing available.

https://www.controller.com/listing/for- ... t-aircraft

flee

Re: Boeing 747-8i Cargo Conversion

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:21 am

Yes, the long lead time components suppliers have closed their production lines and the B748 will end production when the last one is built.

DL757NYC
Topic Author

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:31 am

flee wrote:
Yes, the long lead time components suppliers have closed their production lines and the B748 will end production when the last one is built.

Check out the link in the original post. They are offering the aircraft with a door installed for further cargo conversion. Maybe the type allows Boeing to install a cargo door from the 400BCF. This aircraft was apparently sold to an unknown customer. At the time it was thought to be a BBJ customer. Just found it odd they offer a cargo door included in the sale. This looks like the NTU LH 747-8i

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:32 am

I have not heard of any approved modification for a 748P2F yet, and what I did hear was that there were not enough 8i's available to make it worth developing and certifying a 748P2F

I suspect that this is an existing 748F that is being listed for sale.

Have a great day,

zeke

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:49 am

This is the second thread on the same topic, from memory the other thread indicated it was stored in Switzerland. This airframe in my view is next to useless. Aircraft should not be stored in humid environments.

Photos now appear to have been photoshopped to remove livery. I remember the background aircraft is the same.

Boeing757100

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:07 pm

zeke wrote:
This is the second thread on the same topic, from memory the other thread indicated it was stored in Switzerland. This airframe in my view is next to useless. Aircraft should not be stored in humid environments.

Photos now appear to have been photoshopped to remove livery. I remember the background aircraft is the same.

According to the air cargo thread of this year, that frame, ln 1446, was, as you said, stored in BSL airport in France and not in a good environment. It supposedly had a large cargo door at the rear and could be converted to a full fledged freighter. However, a few other users debunked the theory by proving it was just some advertising technique later in the thread. But, it did have a few APU runs and other tests, as the original buyers wanted to keep the plane airworthy for a new buyer. However, I do not understand why they store it in an improper environment if they want to keep airworthy.

Back on topic, why would we need a cargo conversion for the 747-8? There is simply nothing to convert right now. We have the Saudis with their 2 748Fs and someone would probably pick them up in the near future. LN 1446 is probably going to get scrapped most likely, so that's also a no. And, surprise surprise, that's the full list of frames that are awaiting buyers.

I do wonder though, will the last 747 built get some kind of ceremonial celebration or at least a nice water salute sendoff.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos