Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tphuang
Topic Author

Re: JetBlue/JMP going forward with JFK terminal 6 project

Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:25 pm

Watching the PANYNJ video on this https://www.panynj.gov/corporate/en/boa ... ideos.html
- the one on 08/05/2021 on capital planning, execution and asset management
1.2 million sq feet terminal including 65000 sq ft concession space (so maybe 40000 sq ft on lounge and recreational spaces)
9 wide body gates + 1 narrow body gates
construction starts mid 2022
First 5 gates by Q2 2025 and completion by Q2 2027
Consolidates international arrival facility with T5 by 2030
Consolidating taxi plaza, HOV and FHV pick up area with T5
Enable expansion of JetBlue’s long haul service at JFK
- lease term 38+ years (2022-2060)

- Chairman of Port Authority called this deal “a miracle” and “a work of art” (a lot of self patting in the back)

Prost

Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:07 am

Revelation wrote:

Prost wrote:
I’m sure the new T6 will take care of the TWA hotel carpets.

How are these two linked?

Exactly my point.

CaptCoolHand

Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:13 pm

atlflyer wrote:
CaptCoolHand wrote:
bigb wrote:

Fortunately, that building will not go anywhere as it is a registered historic landmark and a sweet hotel for a at airport stay.

Respectfully disagree. The nostalgia of TWA hay day aside. The rooms are cramped and don’t even have trash cans! The carpets are wrecked and the place is in poorly kept shape. There are few food options available even pre COVID. The walls are paper thin and unless you’re into voyeurism it’s terrible. Pretty much the only convenience is not having to wait for a cab or Uber. The gym may be the only saving grace.

Jmo, the twa hotel may have been a good idea, but it’s a dump.

I couldn’t disagree more. The entire hotel is beautiful. The carpets were perfect. And if you don’t like the large, floor to ceiling windows, they have built in motorized black-out shades.

I guess the saying goes. one mans trash…. Another’s treasure. Don’t get me wrong I love the nostalgia, it’s the sad state of disrepair and cramped area I don’t care for. Especially after landing at 0515.

BA178

Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:44 pm

New renderings available on the redevelopment website: https://www.anewjfk.com/jetblueterminal6/

Looks like a part where some gates were to be built at the T7 end has been turned into hardstand space, but other than that it looks quite similar to previous renderings, with the addition of a new ground transport area and connection between the T5-T7 garages.

Interestingly, it looks like the TWA campus will receive renovations (notably the elimination of that crosswalk on the former T6 access road), so perhaps those carpets might be changed after all!

Happytycho

Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:07 pm

BA178 wrote:
New renderings available on the redevelopment website: https://www.anewjfk.com/jetblueterminal6/

Looks like a part where some gates were to be built at the T7 end has been turned into hardstand space, but other than that it looks quite similar to previous renderings, with the addition of a new ground transport area and connection between the T5-T7 garages.

Interestingly, it looks like the TWA campus will receive renovations (notably the elimination of that crosswalk on the former T6 access road), so perhaps those carpets might be changed after all!

So they took a full widebody gate off the northwest end AND the price went up by a billion dollars? Awesome.

lesfalls

Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:02 pm

BA178 wrote:

What are you specifically talking about with regards to the crosswalk elimination?

I still see it in the photo.

---------------------------

Will be a real pity for JFK spotters. Used to go all the time to T5 parking with the view on 31R/13L. Best on terminal spot. Nothing can compare.

Let's hope this for once ends the airport's continuous overcapacity since it's opening in the 60s. This may be the first time a New York PA project is ahead of the game and actually going to enable things to work properly.

WALmsp

Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:30 pm

codc10 wrote:
As for the HQ project, a number of functions are still being relocated to Florida, and I understand overall square footage is being reduced, but it's still nice to see that JetBlue will remain officially in New York.

Seems to be a recurring theme: every few years, B6 looks at relocating to Florida only to announce that it is staying in New York.

BA178

Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:32 pm

lesfalls wrote:
BA178 wrote:

What are you specifically talking about with regards to the crosswalk elimination?

I still see it in the photo.

---------------------------

Will be a real pity for JFK spotters. Used to go all the time to T5 parking with the view on 31R/13L. Best on terminal spot. Nothing can compare.

Let's hope this for once ends the airport's continuous overcapacity since it's opening in the 60s. This may be the first time a New York PA project is ahead of the game and actually going to enable things to work properly.

Apologies, I should have been more specific. Today, the crosswalk crosses the former T6 access road as well as the TWA parking lot. In the rendering, it appears the former T6 road is eliminated in exchange for an elevated roadway, and the platform with those water fountains is extended over where that road was. The crosswalk still exists in the rendering, except now it opens directly to the TWA lot. I’m not a huge fan of crossing that (sometimes quite busy) road when I go to the hotel, so I’m looking forward to this change.

Josh76040

Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:37 am

CaptCoolHand wrote:
bigb wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
To clarify one thing about terminal 5 crowds

Terminal 5 post security has the most space per narrowbody gate of any New York airport terminal. They also have ample restroom space…Another luxury at New York airports.

Where terminal 5 is lacking space is the head house, the roadway system, and the food court area.

The headhouse Is Jetblue’s own doing. They took the post 9/11 Airport design to the extreme and put everything post security with little room to adapt pre security

The roadway system speaks to the fact That TWA probably should’ve been moved or demolished. It is a logistical problem to get around that building. That building doesnt need to be there

The food court is just a piss poor design

Fortunately, that building will not go anywhere as it is a registered historic landmark and a sweet hotel for a at airport stay.

Respectfully disagree. The nostalgia of TWA hay day aside. The rooms are cramped and don’t even have trash cans! The carpets are wrecked and the place is in poorly kept shape. There are few food options available even pre COVID. The walls are paper thin and unless you’re into voyeurism it’s terrible. Pretty much the only convenience is not having to wait for a cab or Uber. The gym may be the only saving grace.

Total dump. I could not agree with this post more.

Dirty. Poorly maintained. Minimal food options. Cramped rooms. I really wanted to like it but i couldn’t.

And what is up with having to pile your garbage on the desk on that filthy plastic placemat?

The gym is awesome but it’s hours on weekends are severely limited,

What a dump.

IFLYUA767

Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:41 pm

I’m assuming some of those wide-body gates will be used by B6 partner airlines. I think I read that they can be used by wide-body and narrow-body aircraft. In regards to EWR, are they getting all of the remaining gates at Terminal A? Does anyone know what gates they are getting at LGA and what are the plans for Terminal A there since they are moving to Terminal B?

tphuang
Topic Author

Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:02 am

IFLYUA767 wrote:
I’m assuming some of those wide-body gates will be used by B6 partner airlines. I think I read that they can be used by wide-body and narrow-body aircraft. In regards to EWR, are they getting all of the remaining gates at Terminal A? Does anyone know what gates they are getting at LGA and what are the plans for Terminal A there since they are moving to Terminal B?

I'm assuming the LGA gates will be close to where AA operates. The widebody gates will probably be a mostly B6 partner airlines and some B6 TATL flights. Eventually, I see this as at least preparing for widebody purchase.

EWR is a big question mark. They are opening a pilot base there, which indicates they have enough gates to run at least the 70 to 80 departures they've told everyone. I think there will be another announcement from JetBlue where they talk about some expansion at EWR with more gates and a couple of new route announcement + opening up a pilot base and creating local jobs. The politicians love that kind of talk.

FARmd90

Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:17 am

Josh76040 wrote:
CaptCoolHand wrote:
bigb wrote:

Total dump. I could not agree with this post more.

Dirty. Poorly maintained. Minimal food options. Cramped rooms. I really wanted to like it but i couldn’t.

And what is up with having to pile your garbage on the desk on that filthy plastic placemat?

The gym is awesome but it’s hours on weekends are severely limited,

What a dump.

I definitely think this hotel has a lot of potential, however whoever is in charge of it…..they are not letting it live up to its potential. Last time I was there (July) the tunnel from T5 to the hotel the carpet was dirty, stained and worn out. It should honestly be replaced at this point and shampooed regularly, along with the tile in the main lobby being cleaned often. Even the sunken lobby was looking rough. Im sure they thought the original fabric after years of sitting there/use would suffice when it should of been changed out. Food options for the main lobby could definitely use some expansion.

I do find the rooms to be more than adequate for a airport hotel other than the missing trash cans. It’s not like you’re spending a week long vacation there, so not sure how much space is needed. Every time I’m there I still love walking into that TWA lobby and still get a smile on my face even if the TLC isn’t quite up to where it should be.

CRJ200flyer

Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:58 am

Biophobe99 wrote:
Congratulations to B6 on the new terminal project! It will certainly help make them an even stronger competitor in the NYC metro market.

As to if this project gives them the best facilities, well, that’s subjective. It will certainly give them the newest terminals in NYC metro area. DL and AA will also have mostly new terminals as well. DLs challenge will be how well they upgrade T4 at JFK. The current plans seem a little short sighted but it does appear they left themselves opportunities to further expand at a later date. AA appears to have deferred any meaningful growth to B6. The B6 codeshare does give them additional reach and frequency but at the loss of control when it concerns onboard product, scheduling and revenue. UA will continue to chug along with their fully consolidated hub at EWR and cursory presence at both LGA and JFK.

The TWA hotel is a fantastic hotel. It has suffered during COVID too. You can tell that a lot of low level maintenance and replacement items are being put off as long as they can. The rooms are being kept up though. They are more of a European size and it’s important to keep in mind that it is an airport hotel. People tend to only spend a short evening there. If you want a full service hotel with large rooms that you can vacation at for long periods of time you would be best served off of JFK airport property.

Can you explain what you mean by JetBlue’s loss of control of onboard product because of the codeshare? I haven’t noted any changes, or degrading of service toward American’s inferior product.

Biophobe99

Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:47 am

CRJ200flyer wrote:
Biophobe99 wrote:
Congratulations to B6 on the new terminal project! It will certainly help make them an even stronger competitor in the NYC metro market.

As to if this project gives them the best facilities, well, that’s subjective. It will certainly give them the newest terminals in NYC metro area. DL and AA will also have mostly new terminals as well. DLs challenge will be how well they upgrade T4 at JFK. The current plans seem a little short sighted but it does appear they left themselves opportunities to further expand at a later date. AA appears to have deferred any meaningful growth to B6. The B6 codeshare does give them additional reach and frequency but at the loss of control when it concerns onboard product, scheduling and revenue. UA will continue to chug along with their fully consolidated hub at EWR and cursory presence at both LGA and JFK.

The TWA hotel is a fantastic hotel. It has suffered during COVID too. You can tell that a lot of low level maintenance and replacement items are being put off as long as they can. The rooms are being kept up though. They are more of a European size and it’s important to keep in mind that it is an airport hotel. People tend to only spend a short evening there. If you want a full service hotel with large rooms that you can vacation at for long periods of time you would be best served off of JFK airport property.

Can you explain what you mean by JetBlue’s loss of control of onboard product because of the codeshare? I haven’t noted any changes, or degrading of service toward American’s inferior product.

I was referring to AA and the lack of control over what B6 does with their product, scheduling and revenue from flights they operate. AA get access to B6’s network but they have zero control over what B6 does.

blacksoviet

Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:13 pm

Just by looking at the renderings it appears that they could have kept the I.M. Pei headhouse and incorporated it into the new, larger headhouse.

airbazar

Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:05 pm

atlflyer wrote:
STT757 wrote:
$3.9 Billion for ten gates?

It’s 1.2 million square feet. Their current Terminal 5 is 640,000 square feet. It’s nice JetBlue is seeing that it’s not a good experience when you cram so many gates into a small space. T5 is way too crowded.

T5 is awful. I used it for the first time this Spring, mind you and it was cramped despite the number of passengers being way down. There was no room for passengers to wait at the gates, everyone spilled onto the the main hallway and the security line was a sh*t show. I understand that it's cramped because they tried to squeeze as many gates as they could into such a small area tho.

As for the 9 widebody gates, I would be surprised if they are not like the new BOS expansion where each widebody gate can accommodate 2 narrowbody planes so in essence we're looking at 19 gates considering B6's largest plane is a group C plane.

tphuang
Topic Author

Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:33 am

I don't think they are looking to expand those widebody gates to 2 narrowbody gates each. There is space for additional narrowbody gates if necessary. It's a very spacious terminal. They will be slot constrained and not gate constrained once they move into this new terminal. Those widebody gates will be good for partner airlines and their own TATL flying.

I do wonder what will happen to EI and HA in 2023/2024. B6 will operate over 220 flights a day in summer time. That seems to leave very little space in T-5 for partner airlines.

OA412

Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:49 pm

Please stay on topic and refrain from the childish personal attacks.

FSDan

Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:54 pm

tphuang wrote:
I do wonder what will happen to EI and HA in 2023/2024. B6 will operate over 220 flights a day in summer time. That seems to leave very little space in T-5 for partner airlines.

With EI joining the AA-BA-IB-AY joint business, I could see them ending up in T8. Or maybe they'll stay at T5 and just use the bus connection. I recall hearing that AA and B6 were going to be shifting some slots around so that AA had more in the afternoon/evening TATL bank and B6 would get more slots at other times. If B6 isn't operating a ton of flights at the times when EI needs gates, then there's no problem.

As for B6 partners using all 9 new widebody gates in T6, I get that EK could take up 1-2 and HA and EI could use another 1-2 assuming they stay in T5 (although for just 1-2 turns per day on each gate), but B6 doesn't have all that many other partners. I guess FI could use 1-2 gates for a few turns in the afternoon. Besides that, it seems to me they would need to try to rent them out to various nonaligned airlines at JFK where T6 might end up being their only option.

tphuang
Topic Author

Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:05 pm

FSDan wrote:
tphuang wrote:

With EI joining the AA-BA-IB-AY joint business, I could see them ending up in T8. Or maybe they'll stay at T5 and just use the bus connection. I recall hearing that AA and B6 were going to be shifting some slots around so that AA had more in the afternoon/evening TATL bank and B6 would get more slots at other times. If B6 isn't operating a ton of flights at the times when EI needs gates, then there's no problem.

As for B6 partners using all 9 new widebody gates in T6, I get that EK could take up 1-2 and HA and EI could use another 1-2 assuming they stay in T5 (although for just 1-2 turns per day on each gate), but B6 doesn't have all that many other partners. I guess FI could use 1-2 gates for a few turns in the afternoon. Besides that, it seems to me they would need to try to rent them out to various nonaligned airlines at JFK where T6 might end up being their only option.

I would think having a brand new terminal and possibly the most flights in the largest international gateway in USA will allow them to get more partners.

lesfalls

Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:29 pm

FSDan wrote:
tphuang wrote:

They said there would be an airside bus connection but until now there hasn't been any.

The question is, when will it start as the actual cooperation between the two has already started?

JoseSalazar

Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:43 pm

lesfalls wrote:
FSDan wrote:
tphuang wrote:

They said there would be an airside bus connection but until now there hasn't been any.

The question is, when will it start as the actual cooperation between the two has already started?

Are you asking when the airside bus connector will start between T5-T8 at JFK? It’s been going now for a few weeks. Just rode it the other day.

blacksoviet

Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:36 pm

FSDan wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I think United plans to rent one widebody gate for their exclusive use.

tphuang
Topic Author

Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:22 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
FSDan wrote:
tphuang wrote:

UA needs more than 1 widebody gates for what they want to fly. Probably needs 2 or 3. As I've said in numerous places, an exchange between UA and B6 at JFK & EWR could be helpful to both parties. But I doubt it will happen.

jfklganyc

Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:41 pm

tphuang wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
FSDan wrote:

UA needs more than 1 widebody gates for what they want to fly. Probably needs 2 or 3. As I've said in numerous places, an exchange between UA and B6 at JFK & EWR could be helpful to both parties. But I doubt it will happen.

What exactly does UA plan to fly?

They have had plenty of time to use unused slots at JFK. So far the same 4 flights.

I imagine they are doing quite poorly as they have almost no relevance in the NYC market east of the Hudson

IFLYUA767

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:19 pm

tphuang wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Doesn’t UA only use 1 gate at T7 currently? I may be wrong but I’m pretty sure I read that in an article somewhere.

nycflyer99

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:02 pm

IFLYUA767 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Doesn’t UA only use 1 gate at T7 currently? I may be wrong but I’m pretty sure I read that in an article somewhere.

Every time I pass by T7, they’re at 2 gates.

blacksoviet

Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:22 am

nycflyer99 wrote:
IFLYUA767 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Are they using the original UA gates or are they using the two domestic gates?

SCFlyer

Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:00 am

blacksoviet wrote:
nycflyer99 wrote:
IFLYUA767 wrote:

If I recall all T7 gates are currently common-use, so UA could be at any gate. Previously prior to 2015 all 12 gates were controlled by BA with BA subleasing 4-gates to UA.

At UA's peak during the early 2000s, I did recall BA and UA had 6-gates each.

blacksoviet

Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:47 am

SCFlyer wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
nycflyer99 wrote:

If I recall all T7 gates are currently common-use, so UA could be at any gate. Previously prior to 2015 all 12 gates were controlled by BA with BA subleasing 4-gates to UA.

At UA's peak during the early 2000s, I did recall BA and UA had 6-gates each.

Gate 11 & Gate 12 are domestic gates and it would make sense for BA to assign AS and UA flights to these gates. If Smisek had not retreated back to EWR, AS might not be operating in T7 today. Smisek created the situation that exists today.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos