Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr
Topic Author

FAA using memes, humor in public service ads to curb unrurly behaviors

Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:56 am

The USA's FAA is using memes, humor and other ways to try to curb the sharp rise in unruly behaviors toward flight crews on airplane flights and zero tolerance of them. One shows a pickup truck and suggesting instead of being able to buy one you wasted the money on fines and legal costs by acting stupid. Another uses kids talking about adults behaving badly on flights.
https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other/se ... ar-AANaFcI

Seabear

Re: FAA using memes, humor in public service ads to curb unrurly behaviors

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:17 pm

Or better yet, how about an all-inclusive vacation to a Federal Penitentiary? Just imagine the memories!

Sooner787

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:36 pm

How about the FAA & TSA ditch the stupid mask mandate and install temp check kiosks at security entrances.
They print out little stickers that can attach to your boarding pass or your shirt.
Doesn't matter if you have Covid, the flu or a simple head cold, if you're running a fever that day, you don't
belong on an airliner.

NYPECO

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:50 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
How about the FAA & TSA ditch the stupid mask mandate and install temp check kiosks at security entrances.
They print out little stickers that can attach to your boarding pass or your shirt.
Doesn't matter if you have Covid, the flu or a simple head cold, if you're running a fever that day, you don't
belong on an airliner.

I think it's likely the mask mandate would be lifted well before temp check kiosks could be implemented at every commercial airport across the US.

AZa346

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:09 pm

NYPECO wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
belong on an airliner.

I think it's likely the mask mandate would be lifted well before temp check kiosks could be implemented at every commercial airport across the US.

That is so odd.. it is throuroughly implemented all over the EU, already from last summer (at least in the major airports I have been to in Italy, France and Spain).

2eng2efficient

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:17 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
belong on an airliner.

I don’t disagree with any of this, but to what extent will removing the mask mandate improve behavior on airplanes? Probably somewhat, but some the incidents stem from some more… fundamental issues?

armagnac2010

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:20 pm

The EASA attempt on unruly passengers (pre-COVID, obviously):

https://www.easa.europa.eu/notonmyflight

The legal framework, including enforcement approach, is different between US and Europe.

SoCalPilot

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:21 pm

2eng2efficient wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
belong on an airliner.

I don’t disagree with any of this, but to what extent will removing the mask mandate improve behavior on airplanes? Probably somewhat, but some the incidents stem from some more… fundamental issues?

75% of unruly passengers are because of mask disputes. So I'd say quite a lot.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/06/dispute ... anes-.html

Revelation

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:35 pm

Sooner787 wrote:

How about not making a big thing about wearing a simple face covering?

What's next, complaining about having to wear underwear? Clothes?

If we have people not complying with mask rules, why do you think they will comply with your suggestion?

sldispatcher

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:37 pm

The airport is where I witness the absolute worst. I wish airports had security guards roaming check in lines during busy times. I witnessed a United agent get absolutely berated by a passenger in the check in area at CMH this Monday with very loud F bombs, etc. That should have triggered security and out of the building. His potential to cause a major issue onboard was being telegraphed right there (thankfully he was on a different flight.)

It is highly doubtful, as in many other situations, that the onboard incidents aren't preceded by a series of issues from check in to the gate area.

jetwet1

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:39 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:

Or how about, you know the rules before you bought the ticket, suck it up and follow them because acting out on plane is only going to end one way, if you can't do that, don't buy the ticket.

SoCalPilot

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:42 pm

Revelation wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:

If we have people not complying with mask rules, why do you think they will comply with your suggestion?

Is there a law requiring underwear that I'm not aware of?

Comparing masks to clothing is silly. Humans are use to wearing clothes, we've done it for ages...we aren't use to wearing masks.

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:48 pm

Sooner787 wrote:

It was demonstrated fairly in the the pandemic that people can be infected - and infectious - for days before onset of fever. Masking up for a respiratory infection - kind of obvious, and well-studied for effectiveness at this point.

The FAA's plan isn't going to work on people who have impulse control issues or entitlement issues.

slvrblt

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:52 pm

Revelation wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:

Bingo - with you, Revelation, ab-so-lutely agree, 100% agree. These people never had anyone say 'no' to them in their lives.

Ziyulu

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:25 pm

I know on Chinese carriers, there is an announcement from the "safety officer" at the beginning of every flight and addresses issues like assaulting crew members, tampering with safety equipment, opening emergency exits, unauthorized mobile phone usage, grabbing seats, etc. Maybe something similar should happen in the US.

kalvado

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:42 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:

Comparing masks to clothing is silly. Humans are use to wearing clothes, we've done it for ages...we aren't use to wearing masks.

How long ago underwear became the norm? I remember stories from my (non-US) grandma, a former teacher, how they as students got sent countryside with education missions - including talking about underwear and personal hygiene. That mission is not accomplished yet, actually - I see lots of people not washing hands after the restroom (in US). Respiratory hygiene would be the next one.

william

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:06 pm

Slap big enough fines on enough people and word will spread. A couple of years of not getting a tax refund check will go far. Acting a fool on any public transport is Federal, that word needs to get out. When you buy a ticket one is told about the maks, when show up at the airport one is told about the mask, and when you listen to the safety announcement one knows to where a mask. Don't like it write your congressman or drive. Because even on Amtrak you are wearing a mask or meeting the local sheriff at the next station or railroad crossing.

SXDFC

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:09 pm

All of this stems from the fact that many grown adults don’t like being told the word “NO.” When told the word no, or that they have to wear a mask is typically followed by a reaction that a toddler would make.

Traveling in these times isn’t fun… AT ALL! People come to the airport with a ton of anxiety, what do they do? They drink. The airports offer a ton of outlets to let them drink, so by the time they’re ready to fly, they’re already intoxicated. If they’re not drinking, all the other stressors of flying (delays, cancellations, etc) already create an irate human who’s ready to snap at the next chance they get. I am not making any excuses, it’s just all the things I’ve observed while at work.

Would lifting the mask mandates help curb these issues? Possibly. However with all the airlines, contractors, and airport vendors being short staffed, leading to longer lines, and delays. This might still fuel people to still be angry during their travels.

I’ve been both a working crew member, and a passenger during this pandemic. I always try to put myself in other peoples shoes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve watched passengers be nasty to the airline employees, and I’ve watched it the other way around too. I am very much looking forward to all of this being over with, or at least having all the nonsense subside a bit.

Revelation

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:30 pm

SXDFC wrote:
All of this stems from the fact that many grown adults don’t like being told the word “NO.” When told the word no, or that they have to wear a mask is typically followed by a reaction that a toddler would make.

And that behavior gets reinforced by media outlets that chose to treat this situation as a political wedge issue rather than as a public health crisis. Given how much people have tied their identity to politics these days, it's had disastrous ramifications for many.

travelsonic

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:58 pm

Revelation wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

And that behavior gets reinforced by media outlets that chose to treat this situation as a political wedge issue rather than as a public health crisis. Given how much people have tied their identity to politics these days, it's had disastrous ramifications for many.

Not to go off topic too much, but I do think that this is at least partially something I'd blame on the hyper-polarizing of politics as "left" and "right," which consequently has lead to non-political issues being overly polarized, when in reality such issues are far more complicated than a simple 2-choice, binary dichotomy - and an overtaking of tribalism esque behaviors regarding which "side" is the right side overtaking anything else.

ddye123

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:23 pm

I agree that passengers should be notified about mask wearing at the time they purchase a ticket. There should be a pop-up window that says:

- By checking this box, I agree to wear a mask at all times on the airplane except when eating or drinking. Failure to do so can result in:
- A fine of up to $10,000.00
- Possible removal from the plane
- Possible addition to the airlines "No Fly" list

- By checking this box, I agree to comply with all crew member instructions. Failure to do so can result in:

Airlines could also pop this up at Check-In time online.

sldispatcher

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:46 pm

Revelation wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

ALL of the news outlets have treated this politically and as a wedge issue. Working in healthcare specifically in nursing homes, I have seen the damage done by news outlets that, from your skillfully worded responses, you probably watch.

In fact, I would say the news outlets have much less impact than social media. It is the worst of all.

This goes back to individual responsibility. If one doesn't like the mask rule that is in place, for goodness sake, don't buy a plane ticket and expect something different at the airport. Mad about someone else not wearing a mask? Don't take it out on airport customer service agents.

Above all, love thy neighbor as thyself.

travelsonic

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:57 pm

ddye123 wrote:
I agree that passengers should be notified about mask wearing at the time they purchase a ticket. There should be a pop-up window that says:

- By checking this box, I agree to wear a mask at all times on the airplane except when eating or drinking. Failure to do so can result in:

Would they be able to levy fines in that manner, or would they go through the courts, and would it depend on if they were forced to divert (where it would make sense), as opposed to still being at the gate, for instance?

AWACSooner

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:10 pm

ddye123 wrote:
- By checking this box, I agree to comply with all crew member instructions. Failure to do so can result in:

All it takes is one FA on a power trip (which a lot of us have seen) who is clearly in the wrong and you're out $10K. Good intentions by your post, I know...but no thanks!

Ziyulu wrote:
I know on Chinese carriers, there is an announcement from the "safety officer" at the beginning of every flight and addresses issues like assaulting crew members, tampering with safety equipment, opening emergency exits, unauthorized mobile phone usage, grabbing seats, etc. Maybe something similar should happen in the US.

Suggesting the US model ANYTHING after China is simply a reprehensible idea...

ddye123

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:00 pm

travelsonic wrote:
ddye123 wrote:

Would they be able to levy fines in that manner, or would they go through the courts, and would it depend on if they were forced to divert (where it would make sense), as opposed to still being at the gate, for instance?

I did not mean to convey fines levied by the company but fines levied by the FAA

WayexTDI

Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:37 am

SoCalPilot wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:

Many countries in Asia have been wearing masks voluntarily for decade; nothing new.
Oh, and let's not forget dentists or surgeons; same thing, been doing it for decades, no complain.

And, there are law mandating you to wear cloth; and every body complies with that one.