Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RWA380
Topic Author

AS starts seasonal SFO to ZIH, MZT & LTO

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:45 pm

AS is trying to expand a little at SFO with seasonal Mexican destination flights starting this year, all will be flown by the A-320's in their fleet.

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2021-08- ... ter-season

"SEATTLE, Aug. 12, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- There's a lot to love about Mexico. The people, the beaches, the culture, the food! With so much of Mexico to see and experience, Alaska Airlines is announcing new service to connect our guests throughout the Bay Area to three new nonstop destinations south of the border from San Francisco International Airport – Loreto, Mazatlán and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo.

Alaska has more nonstop flights to Mexico from the West Coast than any other U.S. carrier. This winter, we'll have up to 27 departures a day: 20 from California and seven from the Pacific Northwest."

Of course AS has had challenges at SFO & here is hoping that this helps a bit in turning the tides at SFO for AAG.
Last edited by RWA380 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TerminalD

Re: AS starts seasonal SFO to IXT, MZT & LTO

Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:01 pm

RWA380 wrote:
AS is trying to expand a little at SFO with seasonal Mexican destination flights starting this year, all will be flown by the A-320's in their fleet.

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2021-08- ... ter-season

"SEATTLE, Aug. 12, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- There's a lot to love about Mexico. The people, the beaches, the culture, the food! With so much of Mexico to see and experience, Alaska Airlines is announcing new service to connect our guests throughout the Bay Area to three new nonstop destinations south of the border from San Francisco International Airport – Loreto, Mazatlán and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo.

Alaska has more nonstop flights to Mexico from the West Coast than any other U.S. carrier. This winter, we'll have up to 27 departures a day: 20 from California and seven from the Pacific Northwest."

Of course AS has had challenges at SFO & here is hoping that this helps a bit in turning the tides at SFO for AAG.

>>>Pasighat Airport (IATA: IXT, ICAO: VEPG) is located at Pasighat in the state of Arunachal Pradesh, India.

EA CO AS

Re: AS starts seasonal SFO to IXT, MZT & LTO

Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:01 pm

Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo is ZIH, not IXT

as739x

Re: AS starts seasonal SFO to ZIH, MZT & LTO

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:07 pm

ZIH/MZT are a restart technically. Alaska flew these routes years ago. ZIH was always a MD-83 and MZT was mix of MD's and 737s. Nice to see these coming back for sure! Loreto, I actually thought would be tested with 175's first.

panam330

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:42 pm

as739x wrote:
ZIH/MZT are a restart technically. Alaska flew these routes years ago. ZIH was always a MD-83 and MZT was mix of MD's and 737s. Nice to see these coming back for sure! Loreto, I actually thought would be tested with 175's first.

Didn’t AS operate LAX-LTO with 737s some years back as well?

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:43 pm

Shawshank Redemption: Zihuatanejo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS29IkGsqJU

AC4500

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:45 pm

panam330 wrote:
as739x wrote:

They still do, currently at 3x weekly with the 737-800: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA258

hiflyeras

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:58 pm

So happy to see a return to the smaller Pacific resort towns! MZT has my favorite beach in Mexico and hanging out in Zeewat is wonderful!

EA CO AS

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:01 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Shawshank Redemption: Zihuatanejo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS29IkGsqJU

Filmed in St. Croix.

BoeingGuy

Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:55 pm

panam330 wrote:
as739x wrote:

Yes. When I flew it years ago it was a 737-400. I think it was a QX CR7 or Q400 at one point also.

I wonder if AS will again resume LAX-LAP. That route has been on and off a few times.

Acey559

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:22 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
panam330 wrote:
as739x wrote:

Yes. When I flew it years ago it was a 737-400. I think it was a QX CR7 or Q400 at one point also.

I wonder if AS will again resume LAX-LAP. That route has been on and off a few times.

It was definitely on the Q400 for a bit. I flew it very shortly before it switched to the 737 in late 2014 or early 2015.

Wneast

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:24 pm

Seasonal Saturday only FAT to Mexico would be cool next

Ionosphere

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:38 pm

Horizon flew the Q400 from LAX to La Paz & Loreto. Loreto became mainline and La Paz was dropped about 5-8 years ago.

iAmAlaska49

Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:15 am

as739x wrote:

Do you mean a restart from SFO specifically? AS has been flying to those two places for quite some time now. ZIH is served from LAX while MZT is served from a few different places.

RWA380
Topic Author

Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:33 am

iAmAlaska49 wrote:
as739x wrote:

Do you mean a restart from SFO specifically? AS has been flying to those two places for quite some time now. ZIH is served from LAX while MZT is served from a few different places.

I found this to back up SFO-MZT prior service, SA & Su only M80 service in 1996 - http://www.departedflights.com/SFOI96p1.html

This has AS flying SFO-GDL-ACA, SFO-MZT-PVR & SFO-PVR-MZT, plus n/s to GDL, PVR, MZT. from 1990 - http://www.departedflights.com/AS070190p10.html

Route Maps from:

06/89 - http://www.departedflights.com/AS060589.html
10/01 - http://www.departedflights.com/AS103101.html (first I see ZIH & it's the only Mexico city from SFO)

SJD was added in the late 90's as well.

BoeingGuy

Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:40 am

iAmAlaska49 wrote:
as739x wrote:

Yes, restart from SFO. Alaska previously flew SFO-MZT and also SFO-ZIH for a short time on weekend. Both were dropped. It might have been the same time that AS dropped SFO-CUN the first time.

AS also flew seasonal SEA-MZT on weekends.

AS has only been flying to MZT from LAX, not a few different places.

BoeingGuy

Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:44 am

RWA380 wrote:
10/01 - http://www.departedflights.com/AS103101.html (first I see ZIH & it's the only Mexico city from SFO.

Look at the map again. All the other route lines from SFO to Mexico curve to the right.

AS flew PHX to SJD and PVR at one time too, but dropped it. A more unusual route was ONT-MEX. They did SMF-GDL after Mexicana failed but it lasted a very short time.

RWA380
Topic Author

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:56 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
10/01 - http://www.departedflights.com/AS103101.html (first I see ZIH & it's the only Mexico city from SFO.

Look at the map again. All the other route lines from SFO to Mexico curve to the right.

AS flew PHX to SJD and PVR at one time too, but dropped it. A more unusual route was ONT-MEX. They did SMF-GDL after Mexicana failed but it lasted a very short time.

I thought that was odd, but yeah I see, I saw a PHX-PVR & SJD someplace. Don't forget AS had several Mexico flights from SJC at some point & of course SAN to Mexico, I never knew about ONT-MEX. huh!

Aaron747

Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:07 am

ZIH is remote but one of the most beautiful little airports on the west coast of Mexico. Enjoy the approach here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGo6tLqK52s

BoeingGuy

Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:17 am

RWA380 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

I thought that was odd, but yeah I see, I saw a PHX-PVR & SJD someplace. Don't forget AS had several Mexico flights from SJC at some point & of course SAN to Mexico, I never knew about ONT-MEX. huh!

AS flew SJC to SJD and PVR on alternate days. Reno Air had originally applied for the authority. AS dropped PVR first, then SJD. They resumed them in reverse order - SJD first and PVR more recently.

panam330

Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:32 am

Acey559 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
panam330 wrote:

It was definitely on the Q400 for a bit. I flew it very shortly before it switched to the 737 in late 2014 or early 2015.

Nifty, thanks guys. I suppose I could’ve wiki’d this and found out they still flew to LTO too. :D

onwFan

Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:29 pm

If I am not mistaken, this leaves Manzanillo (ZLO) as the only destination in AS’ Mexico network that is not served from the Bay Area. I wonder if we will see them launch SFO-ZLO if these routes are successful.

Also, GDL will be the only Mexican destination that will be served from SJC but not from SFO. I guess the VFR nature of the route might SJC better, but hopefully they add SFO-GDL in the not too distant future...

as739x

Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:25 pm

iAmAlaska49 wrote:
as739x wrote:

Yes I mean from SFO specifically, since that's the topic of the post

EA CO AS

Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:18 pm

PHXSJD and PHXPVR were more about running them as SEAPHXSJD and SEAPHXPVR to maintain good SEA yield, rather than going over LAX, where the local LAX O&D trashed the yield. Eventually those just went SEASJD/SEAPVR nonstop and omitted PHX entirely.

BoeingGuy

Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 pm

as739x wrote:
iAmAlaska49 wrote:
as739x wrote:

As I mentioned, the previous statement was incorrect. Prior to this announcement, AS was in fact only serving MZT from LAX, not a few different places.

AS dropped SEA-MZT several years ago and SFO-MZT even before that.

DesertAir

Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:46 pm

D[i]idn’t AS operate LAX-LTO with 737s some years back as well?[/I]

I took this flight in July of 2011. I recall the terminal being open air with a thatched roof. What a great experience.

BoeingGuy

Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:55 pm

DesertAir wrote:
D[i]idn’t AS operate LAX-LTO with 737s some years back as well?[/I]

I took this flight in July of 2011. I recall the terminal being open air with a thatched roof. What a great experience.

Yep. It was a 734 when I took it. You walked out on the tarmac to load by air stars. The airplane swung out of it’s parking spot without a pushback. Just like the good old days. IPC airport is still like this too.

ASFlyer

Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:14 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
PHXSJD and PHXPVR were more about running them as SEAPHXSJD and SEAPHXPVR to maintain good SEA yield, rather than going over LAX, where the local LAX O&D trashed the yield. Eventually those just went SEASJD/SEAPVR nonstop and omitted PHX entirely.

we were doing SEA-SJD/SEA-PVR and even SEA-MZT for a while before they ditched the PHX-SJD/PVR legs. I remember they used to have to go to the international arrivals terminal to clear customs, they would re-board the passengers going on to SEA at the international terminal then tow us over to normal Alaska gates with the continuing passengers. It was kind of a weird setup.

ASFlyer

Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:22 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
as739x wrote:
iAmAlaska49 wrote:

As I mentioned, the previous statement was incorrect. Prior to this announcement, AS was in fact only serving MZT from LAX, not a few different places.

SEA-MZT went away around 10-15 years ago or more. When the economy tanked back around 2007-2008 our Mexico stations took some big hits. As you said, SFO went away even before that The flights from SEA carried a lot of connecting passengers going to Canada. It was a station with maybe three flights a day and more on weekends, dropped down to one flight four days a week. I never felt unsafe in MZT on layovers until the last year we did the nonstop and then we had a crew that were attacked, one was knifed in front of our hotel during a robbery. The hotel across the street from our layover hotel was burnt down by the cartel and the owner killed in the parking lot, then another man was killed in the parking lot of another hotel just down the street - and this was in the primary tourist area there.

BoeingGuy

Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:38 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
as739x wrote:

SEA-MZT went away around 10-15 years ago or more. When the economy tanked back around 2007-2008 our Mexico stations took some big hits. As you said, SFO went away even before that The flights from SEA carried a lot of connecting passengers going to Canada. It was a station with maybe three flights a day and more on weekends, dropped down to one flight four days a week. I never felt unsafe in MZT on layovers until the last year we did the nonstop and then we had a crew that were attacked, one was knifed in front of our hotel during a robbery. The hotel across the street from our layover hotel was burnt down by the cartel and the owner killed in the parking lot, then another man was killed in the parking lot of another hotel just down the street - and this was in the primary tourist area there.

Time flies. Sometimes what seems like a few years ago was really 10+ years ago. That was my understanding also that the safety in MZT declined. You obviously had direct knowledge of the situation.

Years ago there was a rumor that AS was going to start Oaxaca. I assume that wasn’t credible.

Any chance of AS resuming LAP? I liked that area and never felt unsafe on the malecon when I was there.

ASFlyer

Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:21 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Time flies. Sometimes what seems like a few years ago was really 10+ years ago. That was my understanding also that the safety in MZT declined. You obviously had direct knowledge of the situation.

Years ago there was a rumor that AS was going to start Oaxaca. I assume that wasn’t credible.

Any chance of AS resuming LAP? I liked that area and never felt unsafe on the malecon when I was there.

You're right, time really does fly. It seems like last year that I did MZT layovers all the time. I loved it there. It was my favorite at the time. The people there are really gracious, kind and humble. At the time Alaska pulled out, the cartel seemed to be taking advantage of the poor economy and the vulnerability of the people there and it just started to have an unsafe feeling being out and about. It made me sad because I think the tourism economy was important to their city and, at least at then, it really tanked more than the bigger resort cities (CUN, PVR, SJD).

It's funny because someone just asked on our internal web page about resuming LAP and the official answer indicated that it seems to be something that's on their radar but not anytime in the near future. You know the industry though - things change by the day.

I had never heard rumors of Oaxaca - but 2007 was when Alaska started flying to Hawaii and it caused a lot of excitement that lead up to it and last for quite some time after as the company grew that flying. The new destination rumor mill didn't seem to be as active while all that was going on.

iAmAlaska49

Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:03 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
iAmAlaska49 wrote:
as739x wrote:

Yes, restart from SFO. Alaska previously flew SFO-MZT and also SFO-ZIH for a short time on weekend. Both were dropped. It might have been the same time that AS dropped SFO-CUN the first time.

AS also flew seasonal SEA-MZT on weekends.

AS has only been flying to MZT from LAX, not a few different places.

Apologies. For some reason I had thought AS was flying to MZT from other places besides just LAX.

sfojvjets

Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:02 am

Since we're on the topic of AS at SFO: Think we'll see SFO-KOA/LIH come back at some point? Hard to imagine that AS would start a route like SFO-TPA in competition with UA but also cut SFO-KOA/LIH which also compete with only UA.

Wneast

Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:08 am

sfojvjets wrote:
Since we're on the topic of AS at SFO: Think we'll see SFO-KOA/LIH come back at some point? Hard to imagine that AS would start a route like SFO-TPA in competition with UA but also cut SFO-KOA/LIH which also compete with only UA.

Hopefully they do bring that back they haven’t really added anything to hawaii lately must be something holding them back

MIflyer12

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:55 am

sfojvjets wrote:

UA is a lot stronger to Hawaii than it is to Tampa. UA SFO-KOA today is 1x 767 + 3x 737; SFO-LIH is 1x 767 + 2x 737. SFO-TPA is 1x 737. And of course WN has OAK-KOA and OAK-LIH.

sfojvjets

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:22 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:

UA is a lot stronger to Hawaii than it is to Tampa. UA SFO-KOA today is 1x 767 + 3x 737; SFO-LIH is 1x 767 + 2x 737. SFO-TPA is 1x 737. And of course WN has OAK-KOA and OAK-LIH.

Sure. But the same argument could be made for HNL/OGG - Alaska flies to those.

And of course, Hawaii is the West Coast's Florida - demand from here to the Islands far outpaces here to FL. I used Tampa as an example exactly for that reason - I don't quite get the rationale for adding a thin, seasonal transcon as opposed to a year-round route that has much more significant demand and would be, dare I say, more appreciated by AS customers & Bay Area FFs (if they even have any of those at this point lol). As a Bay Area native, the example I would give is that I've never been to Florida, yet I've been to Hawaii far more times than I can remember. It just seems like they're making the job harder for themselves by purposely adding thinner routes.

This announcement seems like a testament to that, since I'm sure they could easily fill a subdaily flight from SFO-SJO/LIR for example, but instead they're somehow deciding to fly to ZIH/MZT/LTO a la WestJet by coming into tiny markets of relatively long stage length 1x weekly. Tangentially, I'd love to get into the brain of their chief network planner and understand the process by which these routes get selected over other ones that would seem more likely. Perhaps AS has some kind of agreement with resorts/hotel groups which prompts these recent Mexico adds?

KLMatSJC

Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:16 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:

Don't forget SJC-LIH/KOA on both WN and AS as well as OAK-LIH/KOA on HA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos