Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pipeafcr
Topic Author

Avianca Launching 23 Brand New Routes

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:08 pm

Avianca has announced that it will launch 23 brand new routes from Colombia, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and El Salvador. Most of the new routes from Colombia be from secondary hubs and focus cities as BOG has become overcrowded with Gov.-related operations and insufficient infrastructure.

COLOMBIA

From Bogotá (BOG): Toronto (YYZ)

From Bucaramanga (BGA): Miami (MIA)

From Cali (CLO):
* New York City (JFK)
* Cancun (CUN)
* Mexico City (MEX)
* San Jose, CR (SJO)
* Quito (UIO)

From Medellín (MDE):
* Mexico City (MEX)
* San Jose, CR (SJO)
* Quito (UIO)
* Guayaquil (GYE)
* Orlando (MCO)
* Aruba (AUA)

COSTA RICA
From San Jose (SJO): Los Angeles (LAX), New York City (JFK), Mexico City (MEX), Managua (MGA)

ECUADOR
From Guayaquil and Quito: New York City (JFK) and Miami (MIA)

EL SALVADOR
From San Salvador: Orlando (MCO)

GUATEMALA
From Guatemala City: Washington DC (IAD)

In addition, AV has requested the Colombian Civil Aviation Authorities to authorize flights between BOG and COR, MDE and EZE, and CLO and EZE.

Aircraft type and start date for the operations are pending.

Source: https://www.eltiempo.com/economia/empre ... les-610139 (in Spanish)

avi8

Re: Avianca Launching 23 Brand New Routes

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:18 pm

Add MIA and JFK from GUA as well.

eta unknown

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:43 pm

IIRC AV operated Cali-JFK nonstop in the 80's for a brief period.

AWACSooner

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:57 pm

I wonder if they're trying to pre-empt NK or Wingo from moving in on their turf even more.

avi8

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:02 pm

It's interesting to see that they did not announce start dates. I wonder when that will come.

pipeafcr
Topic Author

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:20 pm

avi8 wrote:
It's interesting to see that they did not announce start dates. I wonder when that will come.

Also AA as they have also started operating in previously unserved cities like BAQ and ADZ (from December)

DCA350

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:39 pm

Outstanding.. I just flew them to MDE last week from Miami.. Bogota is a disaster.. way overcrowded.. Great that they are branching out. The demand is definitely there.

sfojvjets

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:56 pm

Where is SFO???? Come on, AV. Slacking on the job! Lol.

usflyer msp

Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:19 pm

pipeafcr wrote:
avi8 wrote:

Also AA as they have also started operating in previously unserved cities like BAQ and ADZ (from December)

AA also launched JFK - BOG/MDE/CLO plus MIA- BGA/SMR have been strong rumors. I think the AV bankruptcy shows how trying to go upmarket as a carrier in the developing world rarely ends well -- the demand is just not there especially if there is heavy LCC competition like in Colombia.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:24 pm

Impressive! Congratulations to Avianca for organizing and getting this going. Now keeping it going, that's another thing. I hope it works.

Non-stop West Coast USA - Central & South America is a tough nut to crack. There is demand, but the premium market is dominated by COPA and LACSA, and numerous one-stops via the U.S. and Mexico. Heck, before quarantine, COPA had long been rumored to be in talks to fly into San Diego!

LAX-BOG has been an on-again off-again thing. SFO would obviously be next; however, that might be a while off.

Side note: Avianca and Viasa have always been my favorite names in aviation. I absolutely love the way they roll off the tongue, almost like female names. At least one of them is still around!

avi8

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:34 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Impressive! Congratulations to Avianca for organizing and getting this going. Now keeping it going, that's another thing. I hope it works.

Non-stop West Coast USA - Central & South America is a tough nut to crack. There is demand, but the premium market is dominated by COPA and LACSA, and numerous one-stops via the U.S. and Mexico. Heck, before quarantine, COPA had long been rumored to be in talks to fly into San Diego!

LAX-BOG has been an on-again off-again thing. SFO would obviously be next; however, that might be a while off.

Side note: Avianca and Viasa have always been my favorite names in aviation. I absolutely love the way they roll off the tongue, almost like female names. At least one of them is still around!

Hmmm. LACSA = Avianca

LAX-SAL: AV (3 daily I believe)/DL/Volaris/UA
LAX-GUA: AV/DL/UA/Volaris
LAX-SJO: UA/AS/DL/B6

LAX-PTY: CM multiple daily

SFO-SAL: AV
SFO-PTY: CM

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:53 pm

avi8 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Hmmm. LACSA = Avianca

Correct, of course, but even before LACSA = Avianca, these routes found the equilibrium early, and as one carrier might exit, one more might enter. Not likely routes for yield-slashing competition. I don't think Volaris has anything above premium economy, does it?

It's all about alliances nowadays, isn't it?

avi8

Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:07 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
avi8 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Hmmm. LACSA = Avianca

Correct, of course, but even before LACSA = Avianca, these routes found the equilibrium early, and as one carrier might exit, one more might enter. Not likely routes for yield-slashing competition. I don't think Volaris has anything above premium economy, does it?

Ohhh I get what you mean now. It’s mostly VFR traffic, so I wouldn’t call it premium either. Most will take the cheapest option with a select few opting for premium seats. It’s a very interesting market I’ll give you that.

BoeingGuy

Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:51 am

pipeafcr wrote:
avi8 wrote:

AA has been flying to BAQ for a long time. They were doing MIA-BAQ long before starting CTG. It’s not previously unserved. ADZ is new.

tphuang

Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:22 am

Seems overly ambitious for an airline just getting out of bankruptcy but who knows.

MAH4546

Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:48 am

pipeafcr wrote:
avi8 wrote:

AA has flown to Barranquilla since 1991 (with two brief interruptions in the 2000s). Pieria is the one that new to it's network.

copa330200

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:22 am

tphuang wrote:
Seems overly ambitious for an airline just getting out of bankruptcy but who knows.
:checkmark:

wish them all the best :)

usflyer msp

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:26 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
avi8 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Hmmm. LACSA = Avianca

TA had closed the LACSA hub on SJO before the merger with AV.

panam330

Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:48 am

Very nice to see AV grow again! So happy to see it; I wish them luck!

rjbesikof

Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:53 pm

Where did they get the frequencies to fly the U.S.A.-Ecuador routes? From Eastern?

MAH4546

Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:06 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
Where did they get the frequencies to fly the U.S.A.-Ecuador routes? From Eastern?

They are an Ecuadorian carrier (Avianca Ecuador). U.S. carrier slots are not available, Ecuadorian slots are aplenty.

OzarkD9S

Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:27 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Curious. Do you pronounce VIASA vee-AH-sah or VEE-sah? Don't think I've heard it said out loud.

RCS763AV

Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:45 pm

This is very nice and out-of-the-box thinking from AV, on the back of the fleet reconfiguratoin and fare simplification plans which are already rolling. This of course has to do with tough LCC competition from the US and within Colombia. Looking forward to the return of CTG-MIA and MDE/CLO-SAL, which should make more sense now in a more LCC-like operating scheme.

Also, it's good to see they're finally expanding the ecuadorian operation seriously, it makes up a bit for the closure of the LIM hub.

All in all, good to see the airline recovering so fast and brnging more connectivity.

NearMiss

Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:56 pm

Surprised not to see a new BOG - ANF route since Antofagasta (Chile) has a very big Colombian community there and there are no direct flights between both cities.

LAX772LR

Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:17 pm

Was really hoping they'd resume SAP-MSY, but NK beat them to that.

Now, would love to see them bring back SAL-MSY. Come on AV!

Okcflyer

Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:19 pm

Wish they’d launch GYE-IAH to connect into UA’s network. It’s a pipe dream … I know.

DCA350

Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:59 pm

Okcflyer wrote:
Wish they’d launch GYE-IAH to connect into UA’s network. It’s a pipe dream … I know.

Despite both being Star members they don't appear to have the closest relationship. I'm still surprised they don't fly to EWR.. there is a huge Colombian population in Jersey that doesn't want to cross the river into NYC for the JFK flights.. Maybe because United is so close with COPA.. Probably won't happen but AA/OneWorld should try and poach Avianca, since they lost LATAM to Delta. That would be a beneficial partnership.

2travel2know2

Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:59 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
I'd have thought it was CM to PHX not SAN but CM to ONT very doubtful.
IMHO, Thrice weekly BOG-LAX-BOG red-eyes wide-body both ways w/ day-time LAX-SAL-LAX or LAX-GUA-LAX rotation may work, at least to re-start LAX from BOG.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:20 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Curious. Do you pronounce VIASA vee-AH-sah or VEE-sah? Don't think I've heard it said out loud.

Three syllables. Speakers of Spanish who know better will have to confirm, but each vowel must be pronounced, as in "Aero" being "ah-E-ro".

OzarkD9S

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:29 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Three syllables. Speakers of Spanish who know better will have to confirm, but each vowel must be pronounced, as in "Aero" being "ah-E-ro".

Three syllables does sound more elegant than VEE-sah. I remember being a kid on a trip to Paris and seeing Air Zaire. Thought it was pronounced "ZAYR". Found out later "ZAI-eer". This was way before Hooked On Phonics, which obviously wouldn't have worked for me. ;)

AntonioMartin

Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:58 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Both Avianca and Delta ARE female names...I know at least one woman named Avianca and Delta? Well..Delta Burke, Delta Goodrem.....

A side note: When I was little in Puerto Rico, the Avianca building lay right across the street from the Iberia one in Santurce (a San Juan semi-affluent barrio, depending on where you live at there you can be wealthy-hence airline buildings-or dirt poor) and I made a connection between them in my mind and to this day whenever I think Avianca, I also think Iberia or vice-versa!

Anyways, back to topic...there are many people in PHX from northern Central America. I have been hoping for decades now that we get service on one o their airlines, first TACA and now Avianca. Is it maybe that all the Central Americans here just fly to San Jose (Costa Rica) on American or to California, Texas or Mexico on the various airlines that serve that country from here and then connect? Or?..heck I have a friend who just drives here from Guatemala all the time...

Why dont we have service to northern Central America from Phoenix yet?

ContinentalEWR

Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:49 am

I have no clue as to whether the recent AA launches from JFK to BOG, MDE, and CLO are performing well, but wonder if the AV add to CLO from JFK is in response to AA being on the route.

2travel2know2

Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:25 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:
PHX should try to woo AV into flying SAL-PHX.
Perhaps after AV has flown SAL-ONT for a while, AV might get a bigger picture to how feasible is to open routes like SAL-PHX, SAL-LAS, SAL-DEN or even SAL-ABQ, SAL-SEA.
IMHO, AV BOG staff has finally realised that AV SAL has different route demand than its BOG hub.

aemoreira1981

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:09 pm

Some of these routes, like GYE-JFK, have to be in direct response to competitors...such as B6 flying GYE-JFK on the A321neo and, as mentioned, AA flying CLO-JFK on the A319. The problem is that AV only has six A321s left fleet-wide...could AV realistically hope to compete on a route like GYE-JFK without using one of its A321s on the route against a B6 A21N?

Some of these are also re-starts from the old LACSA days as well, especially from SJO, and UIO-JFK fills in a gap from when EQ was closed (with most of its fleet scrapped). All appear to be low-risk narrow-body routes.

Elgorou

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:34 pm

NearMiss wrote:
Surprised not to see a new BOG - ANF route since Antofagasta (Chile) has a very big Colombian community there and there are no direct flights between both cities.

Jetsmart flights ANF-CLO and ANF-BOG, 1 weekly both. But are suspended by the moment, because SCL is the only airport can operate international flights during the pandemic

usflyer msp

Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:18 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
PHX should try to woo AV into flying SAL-PHX.
Perhaps after AV has flown SAL-ONT for a while, AV might get a bigger picture to how feasible is to open routes like SAL-PHX, SAL-LAS, SAL-DEN or even SAL-ABQ, SAL-SEA.
IMHO, AV BOG staff has finally realised that AV SAL has different route demand than its BOG hub.

I think the SAL resurgence is more related to the Kreite family (former TACA owners) having a larger influence over the company now.
I'm not seeing the damnd for PHX-Central America however; 89% of the Hispanic population in the Phoenix area is Mexican.