Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AvgWhiteGuy
Topic Author

Rumour: Spirit FA removed from WN flight - any info?

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:27 am

Thursday morning flight TPA-FLL. The FO I worked with that afternoon said an NK FA refused to wear her mask once on the plane and was removed from the flight before push. The FO was one of the last ones on and witnessed the altercation in the jetway, with the FA getting very combative, complete with screaming F-bombs and throwing things. Apparently the SW agent said he was calling the police, but the rest is unknown because the FO got on the plane and didn't see the rest.
Anyone know more?
Last edited by SQ22 on Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

TerminalD

Re: Rumour: Spirit FA removed from WN flight - any info?

Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:30 pm

AvgWhiteGuy wrote:
Thursday morning flight TPA-FLL. The FO I worked with that afternoon said an NK FA refused to wear her mask once on the plane and was removed from the flight before push. The FO was one of the last ones on and witnessed the altercation in the jetway, with the FA getting very combative, complete with screaming F-bombs and throwing things. Apparently the SW agent said he was calling the police, but the rest is unknown because the FO got on the plane and didn't see the rest.
Anyone know more?

Well that’s a twist on the regular story

IceCream

Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:31 pm

Ridiculous behaviour, especially from an FA of all people...

santi319

Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:42 pm

Do you have any source??? If not it seems there is no proof and could be just about anyone….

F27500

Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:40 pm

AvgWhiteGuy wrote:
Anyone know more?

I can't say i am entirely shocked. I've had the "pleasure" of enough Spirit flights to have seen some pretty, uh .. lets just say .. rough around the edges flight attendants. They're not hired for their finesse at Spirit. They get what they pay for.

ozark1

Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:38 pm

F27500 wrote:
AvgWhiteGuy wrote:
Anyone know more?

I can't say i am entirely shocked. I've had the "pleasure" of enough Spirit flights to have seen some pretty, uh .. lets just say .. rough around the edges flight attendants. They're not hired for their finesse at Spirit. They get what they pay for.

Yes I agree. That doesn’t surprise me at all. They have absolutely no class. Plus management has asked them to volunteer at the airport. The head of their union “:Why volunteer for free verbal abuse when we can at least get paid for it on the the line?” Absolutely unbelievable. She apparently caused a scene that included some yelling. WN needs to ban her and Spirit needs to terminate her. ( Providiing that the altercation occurred as described)
Ter

KlimaBXsst

Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:24 pm

Sounds like a real emotional meltdown “help me” Southwest moment this alleged non-rev airline employee was having.

Completely not a way to garner favorable attention to one’s plight, however in times of high emotional stress, sometimes people do odd things. Hopefully this report is wrong as I am sure the vast majority of Spirit’s employees are very grateful Southwest allows non-revs travel upon their routes.

Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:21 pm

We need actual facts vs second hand info. I'm sure he saw something but could have been an average SW pax.

LASVegan

Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:53 pm

Seems like an awful lot of hearsay. Don’t think this really belongs here until something official comes out.

Mods, please consider locking.

atcsundevil

Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:39 pm

LASVegan wrote:
Seems like an awful lot of hearsay. Don’t think this really belongs here until something official comes out.

Mods, please consider locking.

The title implies that the information is unsourced and unconfirmed, so there's no need to lock the thread for now.

✈️ atcsundevil

usflyer msp

Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:55 pm

Sounds like a great way for the WN/NK employee interline agreement to get cancelled. Employee behavior is why FedEx no longer has one and US almost lost theirs years ago because the commuting FA's were acting crazy on PIT-PHL.

spinotter

Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:01 pm

AvgWhiteGuy wrote:
Anyone know more?

Sometimes it seems to me lately as if the whole country (whole world?) is having a bad nervous breakdown! Is it Covid, the heat, the fires, impending ecological disaster, or what?

gr8slvrflt

Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Every single Spirit FA I’ve encountered has been nothing but polished, charming, and polite.

n9801f

Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:49 pm

gr8slvrflt wrote:
Every single Spirit FA I’ve encountered has been nothing but polished, charming, and polite.

That's my experience as well.

I feel sorry for Spirit's customer-facing employees. I've frequently seen them remain cool and professional when facing difficult, unpleasant situations.

arielpeinado

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:18 pm

n9801f wrote:
gr8slvrflt wrote:

I feel sorry for Spirit's customer-facing employees. I've frequently seen them remain cool and professional when facing difficult, unpleasant situations.

Ditto. In most of my flights with Spirit I come across very nice crews, of course there's always a grumpy one here or there, but they're always kind and very professional. Hats off to them for keeping their professionalism while dealing with rude passengers.

It's kind of sad to see all the unfounded bias against Spirit. Yeah, last meltdown was inexcusable, but they're a much better airline than a lot of people think. It's always amusing to start a conversation with other airline fanboys, and see how they absolutely hate Spirit - just to find out a few minutes later that they've never flown it or haven't done it in 5+ years.

cledaybuck

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:26 pm

F27500 wrote:
AvgWhiteGuy wrote:
Anyone know more?

My lone example with Spirit was very pro mask. They kept admonishing a guy who was being a total ass about wearing a mask.

Speedy752

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:55 pm

arielpeinado wrote:
n9801f wrote:
gr8slvrflt wrote:

Ditto. In most of my flights with Spirit I come across very nice crews, of course there's always a grumpy one here or there, but they're always kind and very professional. Hats off to them for keeping their professionalism while dealing with rude passengers.

It's kind of sad to see all the unfounded bias against Spirit. Yeah, last meltdown was inexcusable, but they're a much better airline than a lot of people think. It's always amusing to start a conversation with other airline fanboys, and see how they absolutely hate Spirit - just to find out a few minutes later that they've never flown it or haven't done it in 5+ years.

I mean I’m not a Spirit fan but I’ve never seen any FAs or employees be unprofessional on any airline. I’d also throw in they likely have to deal with a lot more s*** because of Spirits business model and nickel and diming customers. I don’t think we really want to start generalizing people in these threads based on who they work for.

global1

Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:34 am

I have been a guest of Spirit using reciprocal jumpseat privileges as well as having many on my flights at Delta as well. They have all been lovely and very professional.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:41 am

I have to jump in here too. I’ve had zero issues with their crew members on my flights and zero issues with their crew members when they do me a solid and get me home. Most people, myself included, always mention how friendly and helpful they are. Anyone talking about non rev agreements falling apart isn’t in the game and/or is just stirring the Internet forum pot.

AvgWhiteGuy
Topic Author

Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:48 am

According to my coworker, the Spirit FA was in unifom, so it wasn't a passenger.

I have worked with this FO before and she is very nice, honest and professional; one of my favorite coworkers - I have
no reason to believe she would be making this up. Though still hearsay/rumor/circumstantial, it comes from an extremely reputable
source who saw the events with her own eyes.

ASFlyer

Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:26 am

Spirit's notorious passengers are not a reflection on the Spirit crews who, in my experiences, have always been professional and kind. I've interacted with them on my own flights, on their flights and in passing in airports all over.

Woodreau

Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:40 am

Usually the way most airlines handle this is to go thru the union jumpseat committees. the various pilot and flight attendant group jumpseat committees all talk to each other and deal with the offender internally - up to and including revocation of jumpseat privileges.

Since these privileges are near and dear to commuters, it's extremely unlikely that someone would act in this manner. But there are characters at every airline and there has been a Spirit pilot that was a total butt on a SWA flight that almost caused the Spirit pilot group to lose their jumpseat privilege on Southwest a few years ago, and everyone at Spirit knows exactly who that one pilot is.

MaksFly

Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:49 am

arielpeinado wrote:
n9801f wrote:
gr8slvrflt wrote:

Spot on, even though I fly Delta most of the time for work, when I need a cheap personal trip I am not opposed to Spirit and Frontier, and in the majority of cases, you have a more consistent pleasant experience there than at Delta, and for sure than at United or AA. With Delta you either have REALLY nice people or others that just don't give a crap anymore. With Spirit and Frontier, and could be because they have far less seniority, they are still actually excited to work there. lol.

The average pax on the other hand, is a different story. lol.

ASFlyer

Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:56 am

MaksFly wrote:
arielpeinado wrote:
n9801f wrote:

Spot on, even though I fly Delta most of the time for work, when I need a cheap personal trip I am not opposed to Spirit and Frontier, and in the majority of cases, you have a more consistent pleasant experience there than at Delta, and for sure than at United or AA. With Delta you either have REALLY nice people or others that just don't give a crap anymore. With Spirit and Frontier, and could be because they have far less seniority, they are still actually excited to work there. lol.

You had me until you tried to equate "far less seniority" with "still actually excited to work there". There are plenty of senior folks that are "old school" and do things as they were trained to back when service was very important. Just the same, there are also a lot of junior people that are lazy and don't place the same importance on customer service. As always, there are plenty of both - senior and junior. Stop knocking the senior folks. Also, for what it's worth, Spirit and, to a lesser extent, Frontier, both have what most people would consider to be senior (25+ years seniority)

tu154

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:34 pm

MaksFly wrote:
arielpeinado wrote:
n9801f wrote:

Their seniority has nothing to do with their excitement or lack of. I consider myself senior at 33 years, and I fly with flight attendants in my seniority that are still very excited about their jobs, as I am.
I have flown with junior flight attendants that are lazy, indignant and entitled.

F27500

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:40 pm

tu154 wrote:

Their seniority has nothing to do with their excitement or lack of. I consider myself senior at 33 years, and I fly with flight attendants in my seniority that are still very excited about their jobs, as I am.
I have flown with junior flight attendants that are lazy, indignant and entitled.

Its a shame that kind of behavior is tolerated and accepted by the airline. Why is that?

jco613

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:46 pm

Ah yes...TPA-FLL AKA the Non-Rev Express!

I want to echo everything said about NK crews...and extend that to airport crews as well. I know FLL is one of the few airports that are fully Spirit crews, but they are honestly some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure to talk to at any airline in any airport. In fact, Spirt requires personality tests for all employment applications, so it makes sense.

Just this week, I had to go to the airport to buy a ticket. After everything they've been through, I expected rudeness from the ticket agents, but it was all smiles and laughter and courtesy to Customers. So, to hear that a FA decided to pull this, especially a (presumably) FLL based FA, is shocking to say the least. I hope that if this is true, the FA is reprimanded to the fullest extent allowed.

fraspotter

Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:32 pm

AvgWhiteGuy wrote:
Anyone know more?

You'd be surprised (or maybe not considering you work in the industry) how often police are called on a daily basis at airports across the country for stuff occurring in the terminal. Very rarely do the majority of those make the news and it's highly unlikely this will get any further attention whatsoever. Now had it happened in flight...

bpat777

Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:59 pm

gr8slvrflt wrote:

I agree 100% with that statement. All very professional and friendly.

F27500

Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:52 am

bpat777 wrote:
gr8slvrflt wrote:

"ALL" ? Have you seen and flown with each and every Spirit Airlines FA? No, you haven't.

I flew MYR-BDL last year and the FA said -on the PA- "Flight 1132 .. to ... uh .. whereva we goin ... Hartford? Isss Hartford, really? Okayyyy"

You wanna call that professional?

Our last MCO-BDL flight on NK, the FA rolled their eyes when we asked for a little more than the 3 cubes of ice he put into our cups when buying cocktails. Classy, right?

The other actin all bored and put out doing his safety demo .. throwin his demo bag down on the floor during the announcements.

No .. sorry ... not a classy airline .. and i laugh at whoever above said NK crews underwent "personality screenings".

Italianflyer

Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:55 am

If....BIG IF.... there is empirical evidence to back the story up, let's remember that mental health issues transcend the type of uniform,the color of the tail, and the number of stripes on the crew lapel. We can go through the grocery list of mental health issues that ranged from annoying to amusing to deadly.

This is another example of the "see something, say something" security layer that should be followed in any professional industry. It's not snitching when people's lives are at risk.

WayexTDI

Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:12 am

F27500 wrote:
bpat777 wrote:
gr8slvrflt wrote:

"ALL" ? Have you seen and flown with each and every Spirit Airlines FA? No, you haven't.

I flew MYR-BDL last year and the FA said -on the PA- "Flight 1132 .. to ... uh .. whereva we goin ... Hartford? Isss Hartford, really? Okayyyy"

Our last MCO-BDL flight on NK, the FA rolled their eyes when we asked for a little more than the 3 cubes of ice he put into our cups when buying cocktails. Classy, right?

The other actin all bored and put out doing his safety demo .. throwin his demo bag down on the floor during the announcements.

No .. sorry ... not a classy airline .. and i laugh at whoever above said NK crews underwent "personality screenings".

I find WN FAs to be NOT professional: the safety announcements are closer to backyard jokes than what one would expect from professionals in the aerospace industry. Some might find it funny, but I don't.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:34 am

F27500 wrote:
bpat777 wrote:
gr8slvrflt wrote:

Seriously sounds like you’re working a personal angle.

DarkSnowyNight

Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:35 am

F27500 wrote:

I once witnessed an off duty —but somehow still in uniform— FA get into a shouting match with a Ten Year Old Boy over a window seat. For me, that was the capstone to a series of customer service horrors that year, and I have not flown them since. Nor will I. I have also seen safety demos outright skipped, and when I sent a message to their customer service center documenting the same, I was met with almost total apathy. I am however, not talking about NK. This was all on AA. PmAA, not the one you can blame US for either.

That is not to say everyone at AA are terrible or unprofessional. We know this is simply not true. But if you expect that people will hate on NK over a few eye rolls you did not like, do not waste your time flying on any airline again. While I agree that there is no excuse for the outright hostility to customers that we see here and there, believing that such is confined to one carrier is utter fantasy.

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
a personal angle.

I suspect the same.

I have only flown NK a few dozen times, so it is difficult for me to formulate an adequate personal picture of their customer interactions. But I do have to say that thus far, the worst I have seen is average. At this point, if there is to be an issue with an NK flight, it will more likely be from a customer than an FA or CS person.

tys777

Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:11 am

This thread has run its course and deviated from the original topic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos