Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cessna53996
Topic Author

Delta Returning to ORH (Worcester), Will Fly to LGA

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:26 am

DL looks to be joining the ORH-NYC market with a LGA flight in November.

Article: https://www.telegram.com/story/news/202 ... 184920002/

According to the article, the service will start sometime in November and will be a turn landing in ORH at 16:30 and departing at 17:00pm back to LGA. Looking at DL flying at LGA today I'd venture to say that it'll probably be operated by a Republic E170.

We'll see if this service fares better than DTW but I'm not confident given the poor timing for connections at LGA outbound from ORH.

B6 will be running 2x daily JFK service by the time DL starts so we could see people leave on B6 and maybe return on DL from their connecting city. Could benefit each airline with both running NYC service, I suppose.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title for clarity

slcdeltarumd11

Re: Delta Returning to ORH, Will Fly to LGA

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:45 am

interesting. I see some benefits of NYC. You can connect to any direction and didnt go far out of your way. I doubt they will see much O&D though, i would think the ability to connect will be huge for its survival. As long as Florida flights are connections, they can probably fill those seats. Not saying fares will be good but florida is an easy fill if they can at least connect to those

DLPMMM

Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:22 am

For those who have not memorized every small airport in the USA, ORH is Worcester, Massachusetts.

hannah9898

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:32 am

Interesting. I wonder if UA and AA will follow suit to ORH soon

b777900

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:40 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
interesting. I see some benefits of NYC. You can connect to any direction and didnt go far out of your way. I doubt they will see much O&D though, i would think the ability to connect will be huge for its survival. As long as Florida flights are connections, they can probably fill those seats. Not saying fares will be good but florida is an easy fill if they can at least connect to those

But ORH will be a BETTER option than Bos.

b777900

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:43 am

What about ORH-MCO (disney)... that would be a great addition B6 did ORH-FLL it could work

DaCubbyBearBar

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:47 am

DLPMMM wrote:
For those who have not memorized every small airport in the USA, ORH is Worcester, Massachusetts.

Thank you… for some reason I was thinking it was Newport News/Williamsport…yikes!! Time to brush up

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:45 am

b777900 wrote:
What about ORH-MCO (disney)... that would be a great addition B6 did ORH-FLL it could work

ORH-LGA is a business O&D play (in a way DTW could not be). ORH-MCO would have to compete with BOS on fares, and without the frequency.

RL757PVD

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:05 am

[twoid][/twoid]
MIflyer12 wrote:
b777900 wrote:

ORH-LGA is a business O&D play (in a way DTW could not be). ORH-MCO would have to compete with BOS on fares, and without the frequency.

A business play with one frequency? This is political and the shortest stage length to do it to minimize costs.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:37 am

...and fills an LGA slot when other routes are still down.

I could see 2x ORH-LGA eventually working but going to be tough with 1x and no morning departure from ORH

B752OS

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:43 pm

Worcester is actually the second largest city in New England and has its own distinct metro area not part of Boston's metro. Glad to see it getting some additional service.

ScottB

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:46 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
ORH-LGA is a business O&D play (in a way DTW could not be).

LOL nope. No one would fly this on business unless they lived or worked within a 10-minute drive of ORH. Worcester's only a three-hour drive from NYC and a single daily frequency coupled with the need to stay in a hotel in either direction (due to late afternoon arrival) makes this unattractive for business travel. This is all about connections and squatting on a slot while NYC business travel is down.

Polot

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:46 pm

B752OS wrote:
Worcester is actually the second largest city in New England and has its own distinct metro area not part of Boston's metro. Glad to see it getting some additional service.

It’s the second largest if looking by population in the city boundaries, but looking at the metro area population (which is far more relevant for air service) it is not the second largest.

ScottB

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:56 pm

B752OS wrote:
Worcester is actually the second largest city in New England and has its own distinct metro area not part of Boston's metro.

Do you think people living in places like Milford, Westborough, or Southborough (all in Worcester County, thus in the Wormtown metro area) are commuting to Worcester or Boston and its surrounding communities?

Cory6188

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:57 pm

On top of all the aforementioned reasons why the timing isn't great, one frequency a day is as good as useless when it comes to IRROPS heading back into ORH. Basically, if your connecting flight doesn't operate on time (and this is LGA in the afternoon, so let's be real, that's almost a given), then you either have to schlep to ORH from BDL or BOS, or wait until the following day.

BlueBaller

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:57 pm

Polot wrote:
B752OS wrote:

It’s the second largest if looking by population in the city boundaries, but looking at the metro area population (which is far more relevant for air service) it is not the second largest.

Correct. It’s got a long way to go when you measure it up against the Hartford and Providence metro areas.

sspontak

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:23 pm

This brings back the ORH-LGA route that Delta obtained when they merged with Northeast in 1972. Back then they used the DC-9 on this route.

trueblew

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:47 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
MIflyer12 wrote:
b777900 wrote:

A business play with one frequency? This is political and the shortest stage length to do it to minimize costs.

Political indeed. DL are getting into the Massport quid pro quo games it would appear.

twaconnie

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:47 pm

sspontak wrote:
This brings back the ORH-LGA route that Delta obtained when they merged with Northeast in 1972. Back then they used the DC-9 on this route.

I'll go back one further in the 60's Northeast operated 3 round trips a day with DC-6B's.If there was a market back then there should be one now I think.

Q

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:57 pm

sspontak wrote:

Yes, in later years, Delta changed the equipment they used to fly B-727-200 to Worcester from LGA and MHT. They dropped mainline jets early 90's.

Q

ScottB

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:10 pm

trueblew wrote:
DL are getting into the Massport quid pro quo games it would appear.

Gotta wonder what the quid is. They already got all of Terminal A back. Preferential access to gates in E? AC's gates in Terminal B (along with a connector from A)?

Revelation

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:14 pm

ScottB wrote:
B752OS wrote:
Worcester is actually the second largest city in New England and has its own distinct metro area not part of Boston's metro.

Do you think people living in places like Milford, Westborough, or Southborough (all in Worcester County, thus in the Wormtown metro area) are commuting to Worcester or Boston and its surrounding communities?

The people I knew when I worked in the area either worked in Worcester or places along the I-495 belt mostly working in buildings built by the late great Digital Equipment Corporation during its heyday of the 80s/90s. Most of these were occupied by startups or spinoffs once DEC faded away. Not sure what is going on down there these days, haven't worked in that area for a good five or so years now. Personally back then it made more sense for me to use MHT for business travel even if that risked issues with IROPS, others used BOS. These days MHT has so little service I think BOS would be the winner, or as mentioned, driving is an option depending on where you are going in the NYC area. In any case, I agree ORH is really just about slot squatting and throwing a bone to the airport operator, it's at a bad time of day for business travel and/or ongoing connections.

MO11

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:20 pm

Q wrote:

Yes, in later years, Delta changed the equipment they used to fly B-727-200 to Worcester from LGA and MHT. They dropped mainline jets early 90's.

Q

"Early '90s" meaning 1980 when Bar Harbor took over the routes.

BitFly

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:28 pm

BOS is a headache getting to, due to traffic and major constructions happening at the Masspike and Logan airport. Much easier to fly out of ORH and connect to your destination thru NYC.
TSA at ORH is very smooth and much quicker than BOS, once you use ORH, it is tough to stay in line at BOS again. Plus parking is free at the moment until the end of 2021, and after that it is a fraction of the cost of BOS.

If airlines add frequency and good schedule times, in my opinion, it is a no brainer to fly out of ORH. Cheap parking, small terminal, no TSA lines; it is just much more convenient. Unfortunately, some airlines keep adding bad schedule times and no frequency, which makes it tough to get demand at times.

nkops

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:59 pm

Did Massport ever upgrade the ILS into ORH?

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:49 pm

BitFly wrote:
BOS is a headache getting to, due to traffic and major constructions happening at the Masspike and Logan airport. Much easier to fly out of ORH and connect to your destination thru NYC.

That's the same argument that people have been making about MHT and PVD. MHT had (before Covid) 14 consecutive years of declines in passenger numbers. PVD handled more people in 2005 than it did in 2019. https://www.pvdairport.com/corporate/ri ... er-numbers

Regional airports lose out to proximate hubs unless the hubs are significantly capacity constrained by facilities (like EWR) or law (like LAX). One can futz around with one-flight a day from ORH and connect in LGA or just go to BOS and have non-stops. I'm a regular traveler to Framingham, to an address about equidistant from BOS and ORH. ORH is a joke, and always will be. You can start with a free 11,300 ft runway and still not have daily commercial service - see PSM.

The Audi Q7s and E-Class AMGs of the people willing to pay good money to fly ORH-NYC will need Level 4 autonomous driving before they think driving to NYC is a good idea.

BitFly

Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:04 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
BitFly wrote:

That's the same argument that people have been making about MHT and PVD. MHT had (before Covid) 14 consecutive years of declines in passenger numbers. PVD handled more people in 2005 than it did in 2019. https://www.pvdairport.com/corporate/ri ... er-numbers

Regional airports lose out to proximate hubs unless the hubs are significantly capacity constrained by facilities (like EWR) or law (like LAX). One can futz around with one-flight a day from ORH and connect in LGA or just go to BOS and have non-stops. I'm a regular traveler to Framingham, to an address about equidistant from BOS and ORH. ORH is a joke, and always will be. You can start with a free 11,300 ft runway and still not have daily commercial service - see PSM.

The Audi Q7s and E-Class AMGs of the people willing to pay good money to fly ORH-NYC will need Level 4 autonomous driving before they think driving to NYC is a good idea.

I agree to an extent, and I also fly constantly, actually just flew this past weekend thru Logan Terminal C, which the outside is a mess, as constructions are all over the place.
If given the option and good schedule/frequency, I'll take ORH any day. It all depends of preference I guess. One flight a day definitely won't help, that agree.

B757rocket

Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:24 pm

ScottB wrote:
trueblew wrote:

Gotta wonder what the quid is. They already got all of Terminal A back. Preferential access to gates in E? AC's gates in Terminal B (along with a connector from A)?

Massport and Delta must be playing ball for something. No one lines up to fly into ORH Wustah willingly.
Fog, storms, a cloud and The flight ends up in Boston anyways.
Last edited by B757rocket on Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airbazar

Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:26 pm

In my opinion this is all about Florida connections.
I don't see business passengers finding value in this schedule which forces you to spend a night away from home.
And I don't think there's any "quid pro quo" with Massport although some brownie points never hurts.
Also to be factored in, Worcester has seen its population grow 14% and the Pandemic has forced many affluent people out of greater Boston and into the suburbs putting some of these people closer to ORH than BOS.

ScottB

Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:50 pm

BitFly wrote:
I agree to an extent, and I also fly constantly, actually just flew this past weekend thru Logan Terminal C, which the outside is a mess, as constructions are all over the place.
If given the option and good schedule/frequency, I'll take ORH any day. It all depends of preference I guess. One flight a day definitely won't help, that agree.

Getting to ORH is a mess, too. It's a 15 or 20 minute drive on Worcester city streets from I-290. The office parks at 495 and route 9 are half the distance from ORH compared to BOS -- but travel time to ORH is maybe 5 minutes faster.

You can get people to use ORH if it's cheap enough, but that's really not the business DL typically chases. And they're not going to waste 3 or 4 slot pairs at LGA (unless they need to slot-squat) to make LGA-ORH competitive with options like driving or Acela from Providence.

airbazar

Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:10 pm

ScottB wrote:
BitFly wrote:

Getting to ORH is a mess, too. It's a 15 or 20 minute drive on Worcester city streets from I-290. The office parks at 495 and route 9 are half the distance from ORH compared to BOS -- but travel time to ORH is maybe 5 minutes faster.

You can get people to use ORH if it's cheap enough, but that's really not the business DL typically chases. And they're not going to waste 3 or 4 slot pairs at LGA (unless they need to slot-squat) to make LGA-ORH competitive with options like driving or Acela from Providence.

There are just no good options to get to NYC from Worcester area no matter how you slice it.
Driving is a minimum of 4.5 hours during rush hour. I've done it twice this year and we're supposed to be experiencing less commuters due to the Pandemic. Back in April I left NY at 4pm and 3 hours later I stopped to eat at the Five Guys in Stamford, CT. The idea that BOS is only 5 mins longer is equally dependent on time of day and traffic. Flying might just be the best option but not with this DL schedule.

b777900

Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:28 pm

Windsor Locks would be closer than BOS...

ScottB wrote:
B752OS wrote:

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:15 pm

airbazar wrote:
ScottB wrote:
BitFly wrote:

There are just no good options to get to NYC from Worcester area no matter how you slice it.
Driving is a minimum of 4.5 hours during rush hour. I've done it twice this year and we're supposed to be experiencing less commuters due to the Pandemic. Back in April I left NY at 4pm and 3 hours later I stopped to eat at the Five Guys in Stamford, CT. The idea that BOS is only 5 mins longer is equally dependent on time of day and traffic. Flying might just be the best option but not with this DL schedule.

THREE hours from NYC to Stamford! Details, please, that’s absurd.

VS4ever

Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:59 am

nkops wrote:
Did Massport ever upgrade the ILS into ORH?
B757rocket wrote:
ScottB wrote:
trueblew wrote:

Massport and Delta must be playing ball for something. No one lines up to fly into ORH Wustah willingly.
Fog, storms, a cloud and The flight ends up in Boston anyways.

Not so much anymore because, they upgraded the ILS to Cat III a couple of years back.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.worces ... e%3Dampart

loggat

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:05 am

ScottB wrote:
trueblew wrote:

FIS facility in A?

tphuang

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:26 am

ScottB wrote:
trueblew wrote:

Keep in mind this is to just keep up what they had pre covid. JetBlue resumed all 3 flights to orh. I seriously doubt they got anything new.

Flying to orh is just part of what any airline has to do to keep massport happy.

Even aa flew to orh pre covid and probably will have to do it again soon.

maps4ltd

Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:05 am

Surprised Delta's going back into ORH before they return to MHT.

aemoreira1981

Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:53 am

b777900 wrote:

Perhaps on the A220-300 when more are available. An A320 would be too big and an E190 too small.

IceCream

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:36 am

DLPMMM wrote:

Thank you! It's even harder (as a Canadian) to keep up with these US routes to places I've never heard of :rotfl:

tjerome

Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:08 am

ScottB wrote:
B752OS wrote:

I grew up in Westborough and it is about the same time to drive to BOS vs. driving to ORH.

FlyingElvii

Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:15 am

RL757PVD wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
MIflyer12 wrote:
b777900 wrote:

Bingo…..
This is an inexpensive slot squat. When biz returns, it will be the first to go.

uconn99

Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:39 am

The issue with ORH is you not only have BOS an hour and 15 minutes down the mass pike without traffic but you also have BDL and PVD within an hours drive. Depending on where you start the journey, BDL and PVD become great alternatives to BOS, both BDL and PVD is within the Worcester catchment area.

ORH is a very similar market to HVN, although very different when it comes to demographics, both have an issue with catchment area bleed into larger airports within an hour to 1.5 hours away,

airportugal310

Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:25 am

Milford guy here. Born/raised. Would rather go to BOS; Framingham Logan Express pretty much solves the issues for me. Still have to drive into Worcester and then the city streets to the airport negate any real advantages. Just a personal thing...different strokes for different folks.

11C

Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:30 pm

DLPMMM wrote:

…or aren’t familiar with Google.

JFKCMILAXFLL

Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:49 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
DLPMMM wrote:

Thank you… for some reason I was thinking it was Newport News/Williamsport…yikes!! Time to brush up

Newport News is actually PHF (Patrick Henry Field). Actually, an IATA code in that region which is similar to ORH is ORF (Norfolk).

airbazar

Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:55 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
airbazar wrote:
ScottB wrote:

THREE hours from NYC to Stamford! Details, please, that’s absurd.

I'm not sure what details you want. It was bumper to bumper for 3 hours up the Hutchinson River Pkwy and Rt.15. Maybe check google maps today around 5pm if you don't believe me and try to find any route that is not completely red. Anyone who thinks Worcester to NYC can be done in 2.5 hours during rush hour traffic, clearly has never done it.
My second trip this year in late June I chose to leave later in the day (after dinner) and spend the night. Run into all kinds of construction work and it took me just as long. There's really no easy way to travel by road between MA and NYC during the week. There's a reason why buses cost $10 and everything else costs $100.

bostrv

Re: Delta Returning to ORH (Worcester), Will Fly to LGA

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:10 pm

Drove up that way last week, and spent 5 hours getting from NYC (Edison, NJ) to near Boston (Groton, MA) - Google was suggesting driving up to near Albany and driving down I90.
Was mentioning this to acquintances later, who said that has become an alternative since traffic is much better.

ScottB

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:20 pm

IceCream wrote:
Thank you! It's even harder (as a Canadian) to keep up with these US routes to places I've never heard of :rotfl:

Says the guy from the country where two of the largest airports are YYZ and YUL...

b777900 wrote:
Windsor Locks would be closer than BOS...

To Wormtown? Nuh uh. Maybe if there's an accident on the Pike. Even MHT is closer to Worcester than BDL.

uconn99 wrote:
The issue with ORH is you not only have BOS an hour and 15 minutes down the mass pike without traffic but you also have BDL and PVD within an hours drive.

BOS is nowhere near 75 minutes from Worcester without traffic. It could be if you take Route 9. The drive is 48 miles so even if you drive the speed limit (in Mass. LOL!) you'd be there in 45 minutes.

BitFly

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:49 pm

Reading all the comments on this thread, I've noticed almost everyone mentioning the drive to BOS and ORH, I'm guilty of that too. Depending on where you are coming from and traffic, either airport can make sense.

One major thing being ignored is the convenience regarding ORH and TSA security check, which basically can't be compared to BOS. You can arrive at ORH just before the airplane's door closes it and still make the flight. There is no TSA lines, the terminal is small with only four gates, and you can see the plane from the security check point, parking is free at the moment.

Anyone living around Worcester County or visiting the area, to say that BOS is easier or similar to get to than ORH, is basically ignoring the convenience factor, along with the traffic, that is also not comparable to BOS. The way I see it, ORH is selling convenience and connecting flight opportunities to passengers, that instead of driving from Worcester County to BOS will be flying to NYC already being thru TSA check.

One thing for sure, is that ORH and Massport need to push for more flight frequency, if it really wants to be taken a little more seriously. Having several airport options in New England, can only help the area and not hurt.

ScottB

Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:24 pm

BitFly wrote:
One major thing being ignored is the convenience regarding ORH and TSA security check, which basically can't be compared to BOS. You can arrive at ORH just before the airplane's door closes it and still make the flight. There is no TSA lines, the terminal is small with only four gates, and you can see the plane from the security check point, parking is free at the moment.

Anyone living around Worcester County or visiting the area, to say that BOS is easier or similar to get to than ORH, is basically ignoring the convenience factor, along with the traffic, that is also not comparable to BOS. The way I see it, ORH is selling convenience and connecting flight opportunities to passengers, that instead of driving from Worcester County to BOS will be flying to NYC already being thru TSA check.

Parking at ORH is free at the moment. $7/day is still a bargain compared to BOS but it's the same price as Logan Express parking.

The real issue is that people are still going to avoid connections. I absolutely wouldn't take the risk of a single daily connection at LGA late in the day. If the flight from ORH is late and you miss your connection, you're probably stuck in NYC overnight. If you don't get on the plane (because it's running late), you're delayed a minimum of 24 hours. If your flight from XXX into LGA is late and you miss the hop to ORH (or LGA-ORH gets cancelled), what do you do? Rent a car to Worcester? Hope they'll put you on a flight to BOS and then take an expensive Uber or limo ride to the Woo? Wait overnight for the next afternoon's flight to ORH? Yuck. No, you take a non-stop to/from BOS or PVD or MHT or BDL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos