Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

744SPX
Topic Author

Boom Supersonic quietly drops the Overture's cruising speed from mach 2.2 to mach 1.7

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:41 pm

Signs of trouble? .5 mach is a pretty significant loss in performance, with no explanation to boot..

https://aviationweek.com/aerospace/retu ... eed-flight

https://boomsupersonic.com/overture
Last edited by SQ22 on Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

737max8

Re: With no official announcement, Boom Supersonic quietly drops the Overture's cruising speed from mach 2.2 to mach 1.7

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:43 pm

Just wait until it doesn't fly at all! Will there be an announcement then?

NearMiss

Re: With no official announcement, Boom Supersonic quietly drops the Overture's cruising speed from mach 2.2 to mach 1.7

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:49 pm

Well, I think all of us saw something like this coming.

32andBelow

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:51 pm

No need to drop the speed when it’s not gonna fly

ikolkyo

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:51 pm

Wasn’t this already noted awhile back? At least it was to me. I believe it came up around the UA “order”

Polot

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:59 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
Wasn’t this already noted awhile back? At least it was to me. I believe it came up around the UA “order”

Not sure when exactly the change was made but the UA PR does quote it’s top speed as Mach 1.7 and not 2.2, so at the very least it dates till then:

https://hub.united.com/2021-06-03-unite ... 16403.html

par13del

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:04 pm

Not sure I believe it is significant, in my line of thinking the key's are to have supersonic flight with minimal sonic boom, not to have the fastest supersonic a/c or to compete with the Concorde. If reducing the speed makes some of the engineering problems easier, I still say go for it, especially when it may still knock an hour or so from the current non-supersonic flight times.

kiowa

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:09 pm

par13del wrote:
Not sure I believe it is significant, in my line of thinking the key's are to have supersonic flight with minimal sonic boom, not to have the fastest supersonic a/c or to compete with the Concorde. If reducing the speed makes some of the engineering problems easier, I still say go for it, especially when it may still knock an hour or so from the current non-supersonic flight times.

Agreed, I would think this forum would applaud any advances in aviation and this is certainly a step forward at any supersonic speed.

Aaron747

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:21 pm

kiowa wrote:
par13del wrote:

Agreed, I would think this forum would applaud any advances in aviation and this is certainly a step forward at any supersonic speed.

It definitely would be, I just hope this change doesn't mean their team suddenly found out about the limiting factors of temperature.

bravotango75

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:36 pm

Always got that vibe that it was a “fly-by-night” scam, honestly I am shocked that a huge global carrier like UA fell for it.

FGITD

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:41 pm

kiowa wrote:
par13del wrote:

It’s not that people want to see them fail (in most cases) it’s just that anyone with experience or a history of following aviation sees right through them and other companies like them.

They announce a project that is going to revolutionize the industry. Cheaper, faster, higher, more fuel efficient. It’s going to blow your minds.

Then they release the fine print-all they need is financial backing, offices/production sites, staff, a viable engine, a few pieces of technology that haven’t yet been invented, as many customers as possible, oh and also need to sidestep a few FAA or other govt regulations. BUT they’re the next big thing, first flight expected in 2 years.

Boom has changed the names, logos, specs, announced customers, had big press releases etc. in terms of actual flying? None.

(And I don’t think customers can be touted too highly at this stage- if you don’t believe me, go take a look at Concorde and the 2707’s order books)

william

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:51 pm

Must be easier to engineer for Mach 1.7 than 2.2. Should be more efficient too. As someone stated, it should lessen the boom too.

Noshow

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:54 pm

What engine will be finally used for their big one?

jeffrey0032j

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:03 pm

bravotango75 wrote:
Always got that vibe that it was a “fly-by-night” scam, honestly I am shocked that a huge global carrier like UA fell for it.

I have a feeling we are heading into a high tech engineering startup bubble situation similar to the dotcom bubble back in the late 90s. Fueled by the egos of the likes of Musk and wannabe Musks, though Musk himself will most likely get out relatively unscathed with SpaceX actually showing some (physical) results.

clrd4t8koff

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:51 pm

How long before - With no official announcement, United Airlines quietly drops the Boom Supersonic order.

Aesma

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:16 pm

par13del wrote:

kiowa wrote:

Going transsonic then supersonic is going to guzzle gas regardless. So now you have a slower gas guzzler, making its case even more difficult.

But yeah it was already known, same as Aerion went from 1.6 to 1.4 to nowhere.

WayexTDI

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:18 pm

kiowa wrote:
par13del wrote:

I think we're all applauding advances like this one. But, as of right now, Boom feels more like Nikolas Motor Company than Tesla, let alone Ford/GM/Toyota/VAG/Stellantis: a too good to be true venture that feels like it'll end up bleeding money and belly up...

Aesma

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:18 pm

jeffrey0032j wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:

I have a feeling we are heading into a high tech engineering startup bubble situation similar to the dotcom bubble back in the late 90s. Fueled by the egos of the likes of Musk and wannabe Musks, though Musk himself will most likely get out relatively unscathed with SpaceX actually showing some (physical) results.

We're already there with electric cars (and trucks). Nikola already blew up, out of all these startups working on high end electric cars, at least half of them will never deliver.

Revelation

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:36 pm

ikolkyo wrote:

Yes. It was disappointing then, it's disappointing now.

william wrote:
Must be easier to engineer for Mach 1.7 than 2.2. Should be more efficient too. As someone stated, it should lessen the boom too.

Even easier to engineer for Mach 0.8 and far more efficient too.

jeffrey0032j wrote:

That period created brands that are household names ( Amazon, Google, Android, too many to name ) as well as lots of tech that was bought out by big names and is still in day to day use.

Boom isn't one of those, IMO.

SpaceX already has the kind of results and mindshare Boom only dreams of. Tesla is already a household name, Starlink is on the verge of being one.

I'm not sure ego is a bad thing. Steve Jobs was a maniacal jerk, but IMO the world was a better place with him than without him, although some of his long suffering colleagues might not agree.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos