Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KCaviator
Topic Author

Air Wisconsin Cargo CRJ-200

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:42 pm

Photos floating around of a confirmed Air Wisconsin cargo CRJ-200 in their retro livery. I would post it here, but I don't know how.

Does anyone have any more details? How many aircraft planned, who they're flying for (if anyone), routes, etc?

wjcandee

Re: Air Wisconsin Cargo CRJ-200

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:56 pm

Yeah, there's a photo in APC. As I mentioned there, this thing doesn't have a cargo door, so is gonna have to be bulk-loaded with a belt loader.

For background, there are two kinds of CRJ200 "freighters". The first is the AEI freighter conversion, which has a real cargo door. https://www2.bombardier.com/Used_Aircra ... .en.en.pdf
TSM has taken a few of them, among others. https://www.aircargonews.net/services/f ... xicos-tsm/

Plainly, this thing, assuming it's real, does not have a cargo door. What it could be is something like the Avmax "package freighter", which loads through the existing door. http://www.avmax.com/aircraft-leasing/c ... freighter/ If you scroll through the photos, you can see how it works. Basically, you use a belt loader and load it like a cargo compartment, with little nets in each zone to hold the stuff in place. Meh.

JohanTally

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:04 pm

Would you bulk load through the catering door on the FO side and also the cargo door underneath the #1 engine? It seems like you would avoid the passenger door with the built in stairs but it's also the largest opening.

Spacepope

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:08 pm

JohanTally wrote:
Would you bulk load through the catering door on the FO side and also the cargo door underneath the #1 engine? It seems like you would avoid the passenger door with the built in stairs but it's also the largest opening.

Using the belt loader like our friend wjcandee described would avoid the stairs completely (by loading over them).

I’m interested to see the market for this one.

JohanTally

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:55 pm

Spacepope wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

Using the belt loader like our friend wjcandee described would avoid the stairs completely (by loading over them).

I see how it would work but typically we raise beltloaders to the door in this instance you would lower once positioned. Also handrails would have to be lowered. I'm just thinking about durability of the pax door with integrated stairs in the rough environment of loading cargo. The CR2 bulk cargo door is a plug style and that part of the aircraft is reinforced for ramp rash situations.

jscottwomack

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:57 pm

Good to see a use for the aircraft vs. parking/scrap yard. If it is airworthy, might as well find a way to make money with it.

Spacepope

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:00 pm

JohanTally wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

I see how it would work but typically we raise beltloaders to the door in this instance you would lower once positioned. Also handrails would have to be lowered. I'm just thinking about durability of the pax door with integrated stairs in the rough environment of loading cargo. The CR2 bulk cargo door is a plug style and that part of the aircraft is reinforced for ramp rash situations.

I'm just thinking ergonomically how it would work trying to load the entire cabin through the bulk door. My back hurts just thinking of it.

N757ST

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:11 pm

It might actually have a door you can’t see due to the low resolution. Those look like locks under the paint lines.

JBo

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:15 pm

I will say, they did a pretty faithful recreation of the vintage ZW livery.

Boof02671

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:33 pm

KCaviator wrote:
Photos floating around of a confirmed Air Wisconsin cargo CRJ-200 in their retro livery. I would post it here, but I don't know how.

Does anyone have any more details? How many aircraft planned, who they're flying for (if anyone), routes, etc?

Go too imgbb.

gdavis003

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:34 pm

Would love to see them use the containers that fit through the main door that Airborne used to use for the DC-9s. That was quite the invention. https://i.pinimg.com/236x/87/48/37/8748 ... -years.jpg

Newark727

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Tail number on this one?

Spacepope

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:03 pm

N757ST wrote:
It might actually have a door you can’t see due to the low resolution. Those look like locks under the paint lines.

I think you nailed it.

A quick google search on another forum indicated in June that Air Wisconsin was purchasing a single CRJ-200SF (AEI conversion). AEI doesn't have a notice on their press releases so.... Where from?

FlapOperator

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:14 pm

Wow...I think we might be back to AA once Amazon gets done with that pay scale.

MO11

Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:25 pm

Spacepope wrote:
N757ST wrote:

I think you nailed it.

A quick google search on another forum indicated in June that Air Wisconsin was purchasing a single CRJ-200SF (AEI conversion). AEI doesn't have a notice on their press releases so.... Where from?

I don't think AEI has done any CRJ conversions in a while. I thought one of these came back from the Middle East a while back. Parked at ROW, it's registered N679AC.

airzona11

Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:34 pm

What a great looking plane!

Spacepope

Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:17 pm

MO11 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
N757ST wrote:

I think you nailed it.

I don't think AEI has done any CRJ conversions in a while. I thought one of these came back from the Middle East a while back. Parked at ROW, it's registered N679AC.

You surely are the registry sleuth to know! AEI's press only has one conversion order in the past year for the CRJ, for Aeronaves.

MohawkWeekend

Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:29 pm

Reminds me of how Federal Express started - moving priority mail and cancelled checks in a Falcon 20.

But the Falcon's had large cargo doors added.

stretch8

Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:45 pm

I agree, they did a great job bringing back the Air Wisconsin colors, which also look great on metroliner, DHC7, & BA146. cheers!

JBo

Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:09 pm

Huh. Apparently the photo got deleted.

wjcandee

Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:58 pm

JBo wrote:
Huh. Apparently the photo got deleted.

It's still up on APC.

JBo

Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:58 pm

ZW officially unveiled the aircraft on its Facebook page. Yes, it has the cargo door conversion:

https://www.facebook.com/AirWisconsin/p ... 8564199536

dmanonice

Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:35 am

JBo wrote:
ZW officially unveiled the aircraft on its Facebook page. Yes, it has the cargo door conversion:

Yes you can see the locks in the photo in the comments section. The cargo door runs from A to C in Air Wisconsin.

JBo

Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:50 am

dmanonice wrote:
JBo wrote:

Yes you can see the locks in the photo in the comments section. The cargo door runs from A to C in Air Wisconsin.

Oooh, they hadn't shared that one yet when I posted.

The little "Operated by Air Wisconsin Airlines" titles in the orange stripe next to the door are amusingly redundant (but probably legally required).

Newark727

Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:51 am

Have they announced what routes it's going to be flying yet?

9lflyguy

Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:56 am

Glad to see there will be a glimmer of a future one way or the other for ZW. I was very proud to call them family when I worked for them as an FA after the collapse of Colgan. Great operation ran by great people.

There will always be plenty of cargo to haul. Just a guess here, but I'd bet ZW will most likely provide lift for Amazon on routes that can't support a 737 but aren't reachable by truck for 1 day delivery. Or maybe on-demand cargo like USA Jets. Both are just a guess.

F27500

Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:01 am

airzona11 wrote:

Said no one ever about a CRJ200! LOL .. I agree, though .. that retro ZW livery does look great .. its nice to see it again. Brings back memories of when ZW was a class act.

Polot

Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:48 am

F27500 wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

Said no one ever about a CRJ200! LOL .. I agree, though .. that retro ZW livery does look great .. its nice to see it again. Brings back memories of when ZW was a class act.

I’ve always thought the CRJ200 (and other CRJs) look great. Just don’t ride in them.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:34 pm

9lflyguy wrote:
Glad to see there will be a glimmer of a future one way or the other for ZW. I was very proud to call them family when I worked for them as an FA after the collapse of Colgan. Great operation ran by great people.

There will always be plenty of cargo to haul. Just a guess here, but I'd bet ZW will most likely provide lift for Amazon on routes that can't support a 737 but aren't reachable by truck for 1 day delivery. Or maybe on-demand cargo like USA Jets. Both are just a guess.

There's very little in the USA Jet on demand business that would fit in that jet without a cargo door. They're going to do package freight, probably Amazon would be my guess. That said, having bulk loaded B1900 and SA227 in the past, it's going to take forever to bulk load a CR2.

Cubsrule

Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:46 pm

JBo wrote:
dmanonice wrote:
JBo wrote:

The little "Operated by Air Wisconsin Airlines" titles in the orange stripe next to the door are amusingly redundant (but probably legally required).

It’s been a few years, but I believe some ZW aircraft flew in a UA Express livery pretty similar to this one in the late 80s and early 90s, and those would have needed the “operated by Air Wisconsin.” So it’s not technically correct but makes at least a little sense.

Polot

Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:01 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
9lflyguy wrote:

There's very little in the USA Jet on demand business that would fit in that jet without a cargo door. They're going to do package freight, probably Amazon would be my guess. That said, having bulk loaded B1900 and SA227 in the past, it's going to take forever to bulk load a CR2.

The jet appears to have the cargo door modification.

Cubsrule wrote:
JBo wrote:
dmanonice wrote:

It’s been a few years, but I believe some ZW aircraft flew in a UA Express livery pretty similar to this one in the late 80s and early 90s, and those would have needed the “operated by Air Wisconsin.” So it’s not technically correct but makes at least a little sense.

I believe all Air Wisconsin jets flying in a livery similar to this (with the orange and green striping, and Air Wisconsin logo) had Air Wisconsin titles. You are probably thinking of the original United Express livery, which was the mainline rainbow livery with a little upward swoop at the end of the aircraft and three horizontal lines (in orange, red, and blue) stacked on top of each other to form a stylized “E” on the tail in place of the tulip.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:05 pm

Polot wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
9lflyguy wrote:

I missed that, my bad. Even still, I'm not really sure that the CR2 is a great fit for the automotive stuff. Maybe going after the smaller automotive stuff, things that flew in Falcons in the past. I don't think the CRJ is wide enough for 2 normal 40x48 pallets to sit side by side, which really limits how much they can do with it. Either way, I feel like the whole ZW cargo move is trying to fix a gun shot with a bandaid.

sunking737

Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:14 pm

Could ZW fly packages for UPS like Bemidji does out of MSP?? Amazon has all their planes painted as PRIME AIR and colors

DiamondFlyer

Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:15 pm

sunking737 wrote:
Could ZW fly packages for UPS like Bemidji does out of MSP?? Amazon has all their planes painted as PRIME AIR and colors

Could they, sure. They'd have to bid for a contract and win it. Not sure there's any routes where UPS would want the volume of a CRJ, other than where they already have it.

9lflyguy

Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:59 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
9lflyguy wrote:

The aircraft in question is a CRJ-200SF with the large cargo door conversion. Any load that will fit in a Falcon 20, will happily fit in a CRJ-200 with this conversion. Same with the E120 on-demand flying that's handled by Berry Aviation. So yes, I do believe there is room for ZW in the on-demand market if they can price themselves accordingly to remain competitive. Now, what they will use this for is still a mystery, but I wouldn't count out on-demand air freight just yet.

FX1816

Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:51 pm

sunking737 wrote:

No Amazon does not have all their aircraft painted in the Prime Air livery, there are 767's that fly Amazon in the ABX Air livery, the ATI livery or all white.

FX1816

Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:54 pm

JBo wrote:
dmanonice wrote:
JBo wrote:

That reminds me of the late 90's when I worked for Emery Worldwide. Even though the DC-8's and DC-10's were painted in the full Emery livery, red, white and green, they still had markings towards the back of the airplane that said, "Operated by Emery Worldwide Airlines", (A/C Type and Serial number were usually there too).

Spacepope

Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:55 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:

I missed that, my bad. Even still, I'm not really sure that the CR2 is a great fit for the automotive stuff. Maybe going after the smaller automotive stuff, things that flew in Falcons in the past. I don't think the CRJ is wide enough for 2 normal 40x48 pallets to sit side by side, which really limits how much they can do with it. Either way, I feel like the whole ZW cargo move is trying to fix a gun shot with a bandaid.

You know AEI's biggest conversion customers for the CRJ have been IFL Group and Aeronaves TSM, both big in the auto parts biz. Anything you can fit into a CV-580/640, you can get into a CRJ.

Flaps

Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:12 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
9lflyguy wrote:

If you think that CR2 is going to be difficult to bulk load, try bulk loading 77W's.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:30 pm

Spacepope wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

You know AEI's biggest conversion customers for the CRJ have been IFL Group and Aeronaves TSM, both big in the auto parts biz. Anything you can fit into a CV-580/640, you can get into a CRJ.

I am aware, I've flown in the on-demand business. The business is only so big, and last I checked, 66% of the IFL CRJ fleet is flying either FedEx or UPS flying. On-Demand auto parts is a dying business, look at Kalitta, when they went from DC9 to 737, they left the business in that size airplane. USAJet is making a big leap with the MD88's coming, but I get the feeling that the automotive manufacturing business is going to drastically change after the last year of production issues.

If Air Wisconsin is hitching their wagon to surviving on on-demand CRJ2 cargo, it's going to be a max 5 plane airline...

FLALEFTY

Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:55 pm

Here's some interesting background concerning the CRJ-200SF N498AW. It used to fly for ExpressJet (as N858AS) under the Delta Connection banner until late-2017. It was bought by Pinnacle Partners, who re-registered it as N679AC, then had ATI convert it from passenger to the SF configuration at DHN in 2018. Pinnacle Partners had a lease deal for this aircraft fall through with Iraqi-based Al Haya Airlines somewhere along the way. It was stored at DHN until March of this year. It still shows under Pinnacle Partners ownership, so it is unclear if Air Wisconsin has leased, or purchased this aircraft.

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... ers/ekd2d1

vetjetatl

Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:54 pm

The only good thing the CRJ-200 should be good for, cargo. Good riddance uncomfortable bird :)

F27500

Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:23 pm

vetjetatl wrote:
The only good thing the CRJ-200 should be good for, cargo. Good riddance uncomfortable bird :)

What he ^^ said.

The CRJ200 is the Shorts 360 of the RJ category and I con't mean that as a compliment. LOL

USAirKid

Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:28 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
9lflyguy wrote:

Somehow this doesn't seem like Amazon's MO. They usually bring multiple planes on at once, a single plane doesn't seem like something they'd want to do. That being said, perhaps AW is trying to sell Amazon on the idea? If its a lease, that might work.

jetmatt777

Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:57 am

I think if they came to the table with an at-risk turn-key solution to Amazon they may bite. I don’t think that would be especially wise to be the desperate bride for them, but it may get their attention and some work in the meantime.

Some other avenues would be to maybe partner with OnTrac or a similar regional operator to help expand their overnight parcel services footprint.

Will be interesting to watch. What a great looking livery.

alasizon

Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:04 am

With the freight business being so stretched thin right now - I wonder if ZW is hoping to run some sort of ad-hoc additional capacity for FX and 5X and continuing it through peak to see if the business is viable.

There is a lot of difficulty in getting packages out of SDF and MEM right now just due to volume and customs delays.

rbavfan

Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:37 am

JohanTally wrote:

You would loaad through the added 94" x 77" main deck cargo door. Look at the link.

rbavfan

Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:40 am

gdavis003 wrote:
Would love to see them use the containers that fit through the main door that Airborne used to use for the DC-9s. That was quite the invention. https://i.pinimg.com/236x/87/48/37/8748 ... -years.jpg

First the image is not a DC-9 & second the DC-9 used by airborn and MDC's main deck cargo door.

rbavfan

Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:46 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Polot wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

If you read the links they have a full cargo door added and carry 88" x 61.5" pallets. Does anybody read the linked PDF's before they comment?

SwissCanuck

Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:28 am

As a Canadian, and former very-frequent flyer in the '00s, I think all CR2s should be sliced up for beer cans (yes I know) for a brew called "Sorry" and distributed for free to former PAX.

I'll take a Dash over a CR2 any day.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos