Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jetty
Topic Author

Florida Man Screams N-word and Hurls Metal Pole at MIA

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:35 pm

- A crazed man was captured on video getting violent with Miami airport staff on Friday
- The unidentified man could be seen screaming and yelling at the American Airlines terminal when he picks up a metal pole and threw it at workers nearby
- Miami-Dade police say the man was a veteran in crisis. He is said to have fought with his girlfriend just before boarding, and was barred from his flight
- 'Where's the police?' a bystander could be heard asking
- Officials at Miami International Airport say there has been a noticeable spike in aggressive passenger behavior
- The Federal Aviation Administration revealing there was 150 incidents of unruly behavior in 2019, compared to a whopping 3,800 so far this year
- And this year alone, over 2,500 passengers have been banned by airlines for refusing to wear a mask, according to Reuters
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... staff.html

The situation at MIA is getting out of hand, MIA should step up security as with many of these incidents it took a long time for police or security to arrive.

Cdydatzigs

Re: Florida Man Screams N-word and Hurls Metal Pole at MIA

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:43 pm

Anyone else just assume this took place at MIA before reading the whole headline?

MIflyer12

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:51 pm

Cdydatzigs wrote:
Anyone else just assume this took place at MIA before reading the whole headline?

Maybe Orlando or Jacksonville.

F27500

Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:18 pm

"Veteran in crisis who just had a fight with his girlfriend" is NO excuse either. He was arrested, i hope?

aemoreira1981

Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:54 pm

Florida Man strikes again!

LCDFlight

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:41 pm

Personally I think beating a woman is more serious than saying the N word, or any word. By “fight with girlfriend,” what are we talking about? Sigh. Still love you, America. Not always easy..

atcsundevil

Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:39 am

Just a reminder to users: advocating for the use or acceptance of racial slurs is never — and will never be — permitted on these forums. There are other websites for that kind of ugly language, but we won't have it here.

Furthermore, political language is limited to the Non Aviation Forum, so please keep it out of these discussions. It only serves as flamebait for off topic discussion.

✈️ atcsundevil

Seabear

Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:45 am

So in other words, just a typical day at MIA.

F9Animal

Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:05 am

I do not care if he was a "veteran in crisis," or a "woman going through menopause!" This behavior is absolutely unacceptable. Im tired of people using excuses to warrant their behavior. It's just not a get out of jail for free option IMO. He was still able to comprehend that he had a flight, made it to the airport, got a boarding pass, cleared the TSA, and made it to board the flight. That tells me he was competent enough to know at that point right from wrong. Meaning, I am not buying the "veteran in crisis" BS!

Let that clown have his crisis on a Greyhound next time. He should be banned from being able to fly for the remainder of his life. We need to really crack down on these idiots. Those gate agents deserve a pat on the back as well. Closing the boarding door and trying to remain calm during such a crazy time.

As for the racial slurs? Yet another justified excuse to ban him from flying ever again. The excuses are getting old. He is a grown adult and made his own bed.

ikramerica

Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:19 am

Jetty wrote:
- A crazed man was captured on video getting violent with Miami airport staff on Friday
- The unidentified man could be seen screaming and yelling at the American Airlines terminal when he picks up a metal pole and threw it at workers nearby
- Miami-Dade police say the man was a veteran in crisis. He is said to have fought with his girlfriend just before boarding, and was barred from his flight
- Officials at Miami International Airport say there has been a noticeable spike in aggressive passenger behavior
- The Federal Aviation Administration revealing there was 150 incidents of unruly behavior in 2019, compared to a whopping 3,800 so far this year
- And this year alone, over 2,500 passengers have been banned by airlines for refusing to wear a mask, according to Reuters

The situation at MIA is getting out of hand, MIA should step up security as with many of these incidents it took a long time for police or security to arrive.

As someone who had the unfortunate experience of flying with my family out of MIA in Flagship J, maybe there would be fewer incidents if the staff at AA, MIA and the TSA at least acted like they gave a crap. Until the employees improve, there will be more people losing patience.

Rookie87

Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:08 am

ikramerica wrote:
Jetty wrote:

As someone who had the unfortunate experience of flying with my family out of MIA in Flagship J, maybe there would be fewer incidents if the staff at AA, MIA and the TSA at least acted like they gave a crap. Until the employees improve, there will be more people losing patience.

Because the world is responsible for your personal behavior ? Got it

BAeRJ100

Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:36 am

ikramerica wrote:

My understanding is he had an altercation with his girlfriend, and followed her into the female restrooms to continue the confrontation, just prior to what we see in the video. That's an enormous stretch to try and insinuate that it was somehow the fault of airline or airport staff.

spinotter

Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:36 am

[url]
https://www.theroot.com/man-captured-on ... 1847580140
[/url]

The man in question was said to be intoxicated by several observers. Veteran in crisis?

ewt340

Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:18 am

Have you ever wondered how big percentages of retiree moved to Florida and it make the state feels like the 60s?

zeke

Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:51 am

atcsundevil wrote:
Just a reminder to users: advocating for the use or acceptance of racial slurs is never — and will never be — permitted on these forums. There are other websites for that kind of ugly language, but we won't have it here.

Furthermore, political language is limited to the Non Aviation Forum, so please keep it out of these discussions. It only serves as flamebait for off topic discussion.

✈️ atcsundevil

Well said, thank you.

peterinlisbon

Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:19 am

Someone should have explained to him that he was being unreasonable.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:40 pm

Funny how all those stories are almost all miami and not fll. Keep it classy miami

dfwjim1

Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:40 pm

Is the guy a Florida resident or was he on vacation/transiting through MIA?

yyztpa2

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:46 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Florida Man strikes again!

Other than OPs title, nothing indicates this to be the infamous Florida Man. More likely it was an out of state individual heading home from a vacation.

Murdoughnut

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:51 pm

Confirmation of the patterns those of us who work in the business are already aware of. New York-Florida and LAS flights account for a disproportionate amount of these incidents.

Probability of this occurring also increases as average fare declines.

https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/faa-fines- ... wsId=26440

AAtakeMeAway

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:53 pm

spinotter wrote:
[url]
[/url]

The man in question was said to be intoxicated by several observers. Veteran in crisis?

I suspect 'roid rage or the like

Revelation

Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:04 pm

F9Animal wrote:
I do not care if he was a "veteran in crisis," or a "woman going through menopause!" This behavior is absolutely unacceptable. Im tired of people using excuses to warrant their behavior. It's just not a get out of jail for free option IMO. He was still able to comprehend that he had a flight, made it to the airport, got a boarding pass, cleared the TSA, and made it to board the flight. That tells me he was competent enough to know at that point right from wrong. Meaning, I am not buying the "veteran in crisis" BS!

Let that clown have his crisis on a Greyhound next time. He should be banned from being able to fly for the remainder of his life. We need to really crack down on these idiots. Those gate agents deserve a pat on the back as well. Closing the boarding door and trying to remain calm during such a crazy time.

As for the racial slurs? Yet another justified excuse to ban him from flying ever again. The excuses are getting old. He is a grown adult and made his own bed.

There's a difference between an explanation and an excuse. Not sure this is one for the airlines to sort out. He was denied boarding, they did their part. It sounds like this guy needs some professional help with regard to relationships and alcohol. Hopefully he gets some of that. Not sure if a lifetime flight ban helps towards getting that. Given his actions such as swinging at people, he needs to be booked for assault. It does feel like MIA needs to up its game when it comes to security.

ewt340 wrote:
Have you ever wondered how big percentages of retiree moved to Florida and it make the state feels like the 60s?

If you remember the 60s, you're probably ready for that move. Just sayin'...

You might want to travel around Florida before you label the entire state. Some parts match your description, others certainly do not.

F9Animal

Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:31 pm

spinotter wrote:
[url]
[/url]

Next time I get drunk and stupid, I will instantly blame it on being a Veteran in crisis!

It's a pathetic excuse, and sounds like police are trying to downplay the behavior by saying this. Of course, 1/2 of the people that view this will have their heart strings pulled thinking this was a veteran in crisis.

OA412

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:03 pm

Please don't start up mask debates, which threaten to take this thread off topic into political territory. If you'd like to discuss the mask mandate, please do so in the non aviation threads. Thanks!

acos24

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:22 pm

Murdoughnut wrote:
Confirmation of the patterns those of us who work in the business are already aware of. New York-Florida and LAS flights account for a disproportionate amount of these incidents.

Probability of this occurring also increases as average fare declines.

https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/faa-fines- ... wsId=26440

Remind me to never fly to Florida or Las Vegas

atcsundevil

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:26 pm

Keep political comments out of this discussion. Warnings and bans will be issued.

✈️ atcsundevil

ER757

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:46 pm

F9Animal wrote:

^ ^ ^
This! They should lock this moron up for a good long time and keep him off airplanes and out of airports for even longer

ewt340

Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:29 pm

Revelation wrote:
F9Animal wrote:

There's a difference between an explanation and an excuse. Not sure this is one for the airlines to sort out. He was denied boarding, they did their part. It sounds like this guy needs some professional help with regard to relationships and alcohol. Hopefully he gets some of that. Not sure if a lifetime flight ban helps towards getting that. Given his actions such as swinging at people, he needs to be booked for assault. It does feel like MIA needs to up its game when it comes to security.

ewt340 wrote:

If you remember the 60s, you're probably ready for that move. Just sayin'...

You might want to travel around Florida before you label the entire state. Some parts match your description, others certainly do not.

Jim Crow Laws was only repealed after 1965. I don't think as a minority I would ever be "Ready for that move".
And yes, I lived in Jacksonville for 6 months. Visited Orlando, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Florida Keys and Miami.

Everybody have a bad day. They don't try to assault or hurls racial slurs at other people. They might curse, or have resting bitch face, or even drank a bottle of rum. But not this.

Revelation

Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:33 pm

ewt340 wrote:
Jim Crow Laws was only repealed after 1965. I don't think as a minority I would ever be "Ready for that move".
And yes, I lived in Jacksonville for 6 months. Visited Orlando, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Florida Keys and Miami.

I respect your point of view, but there are parts of Florida where being of color makes you part of the majority not the minority. The demographics have changed already in some parts and are changing fast in others.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of FL, but as I age I realize they at least have infrastructure that is built for the elderly and a lot better understanding of the needs of elderly (even if they don't always provide) in the areas where my family members have retired, and perhaps may end up there for those and other reasons despite my lack of fandom.

IFlyMGN

Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:34 pm

I still contend that there are certain people, regardless of sex, race, religion, sexual orientation or any other designation...that shouldn't be allowed into an airport much less on a plane.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos