Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BrianDromey

Re: Irish 9/21; Climbing through the storm

Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:57 pm

There is also the Heathrow Connect option, which runs to Paddington and is orders of magnitude cheaper.
Since GWR took over the Heathrow Express I believe they sell advance tickets, which you could look into as well. Citymapper is a good option to find your way around the London transport network.

khowaga

Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:19 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
There is also the Heathrow Connect option, which runs to Paddington and is orders of magnitude cheaper.
Since GWR took over the Heathrow Express I believe they sell advance tickets, which you could look into as well. Citymapper is a good option to find your way around the London transport network.

Heathrow Express does do advance sales, and if you book far enough in advance it’s not that expensive at all - I’ve paid less than £10 before.

OA260

Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:39 am

From the archives 20 years ago :

Flights Arrive From US After 9/11 Attacks 2001

There were emotional scenes at Dublin Airport as the first flights since the 9/11 attacks arrived from the United States.
From 6.00am people congregated in the arrival hall awaiting loved ones, some in the hope that their relatives would get a coveted seat. At 6.27am Aer Lingus flight EI2102 from New York touched down and the passengers were greeted with tears and smiles in equal measure.

www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0901/813457-fi ... wing-9-11/

wexfordflyer

Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:28 pm

OA260 wrote:
wexfordflyer wrote:
To all you frequent fliers to London. I'm flying out of Heathrow in a few weeks time. With BA from T5 to Dublin. It's been about 10 years since I've done so. What's your thoughts on getting from London - is the Heathrow express worth the cost or would you go the Tube even though it takes that bit longer? I will only have a small bit of hand luggage with me, so lugging suitcases isn't a concern.

Thanks!

Heathrow Express is way over priced unless there happens to be a deal or offer code. Id stick with the Piccadilly line into central London to be honest. Don't forget you can get duty free now its quite a saving.

TUGMASTER wrote:
Defo the Tube, but depends on where in London you are..?

BrianDromey wrote:

khowaga wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:

Heathrow Express does do advance sales, and if you book far enough in advance it’s not that expensive at all - I’ve paid less than £10 before.

Thanks for the tips and info everyone. Coming from central London so the tube will be just as handy, albeit that little bit longer. Heathrow Express price is currently £18, which is a bit steep!

veron

Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:06 am

Hi all. As I live in Belfast, I very much enjoy reading this thread every month. I flew BCN-BHD today on FR2478 aircraft EI-ENM. I was under the impression that because BHD runway is a relatively shorter runway compared to others, that only FR aircraft with "Short Field Performance" could operate in and out of here. I understand EI-ENM does not have this. Can someone satisfy my curiosity?
Cheers

IrishLessor

Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:48 am

Veron,
My understanding is that the standard -800 can take off from BHD without any trouble, however, it won't be full. When they did STN before the aircraft had a 20 seats blocked off in one direction and 40 in the other and at £1 fares it clearly wasn't fruitful. So given the fares on BHD FR routes even with only a days advance purchase, there will be absolutely no issues. I'm guessing there probably want more than 50-75 on?

OA260

Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:58 am

Aer Lingus have done a pretty good job on the refurb.
The QR ordering system was shut off this morning though so was just told to help myself.

ClassicLover

Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:12 am

OA260 wrote:
The QR ordering system was shut off this morning though so was just told to help myself.

Looks decent enough - great pics!

OA260

Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:23 am

[photoid][/photoid]
ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Looks decent enough - great pics!

Yes really cant complain it certainly is a more comfortable lounge with the new chairs and private pods. I flew DUB - LGW load was 137 which is not bad but DUB T2 was very quiet for a weekend. Hopefully its not the case for the Autmn / Winter. Aer Lingus now use Gatwick North Terminal.

Vicenza

Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:19 pm

IrishLessor wrote:
Veron,
My understanding is that the standard -800 can take off from BHD without any trouble, however, it won't be full. When they did STN before the aircraft had a 20 seats blocked off in one direction and 40 in the other and at £1 fares it clearly wasn't fruitful. So given the fares on BHD FR routes even with only a days advance purchase, there will be absolutely no issues. I'm guessing there probably want more than 50-75 on?

It's been very many years indeed since £1 fares were offered from BHD

tonystan

Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:04 pm

wexfordflyer wrote:
To all you frequent fliers to London. I'm flying out of Heathrow in a few weeks time. With BA from T5 to Dublin. It's been about 10 years since I've done so. What's your thoughts on getting from London - is the Heathrow express worth the cost or would you go the Tube even though it takes that bit longer? I will only have a small bit of hand luggage with me, so lugging suitcases isn't a concern.

Thanks!

You can save a few pennies if you take the Heathrow Connect train from Paddington/Heathrow Central. Then just hop on the Heathrow Express for free between Central and T5!

The Tube is tedious at the best of times especially if you are going beyond the West End.

veron

Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:22 pm

IrishLessor wrote:
Veron,

Spot on! About 50 pax. Hard enough landing and we felt the full capabilities of the 737-800 braking system. Interestingly they moved 5 passengers from the back few seats up a few rows before takeoff. Left us in our row 33 seats (very back) though.

The fare wasn't far off £1. Same flight was bookable for 5 Euro on Friday, though probably something to do with the fact it was the day before ceasing operations from BHD.

Noticed a BA aircraft parked on the other side of the airfield (Shorts side, not terminal side). Anyone any info on this?

IrishLessor

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:44 am

tonystan wrote:
wexfordflyer wrote:

Thanks!

You can save a few pennies if you take the Heathrow Connect train from Paddington/Heathrow Central. Then just hop on the Heathrow Express for free between Central and T5!

The Tube is tedious at the best of times especially if you are going beyond the West End.[/quot

IrishLessor

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:47 am

IrishLessor wrote:
tonystan wrote:
wexfordflyer wrote:

Thanks!

The Tube is tedious at the best of times especially if you are going beyond the West End.[/quot

Sorry Wexfordflyer, I replied to the wrong post!

OA260

Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:17 am

It looks like the European Winter service reductions for various EI services are starting to get cancelled and reduced up until 7/11.

BrianDromey

Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:27 pm

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2021/09 ... n-airport/
Aer Lingus Shannon-London Heathrow service returns today
"The Aer Lingus Shannon-London Heathrow service returns today for the first time since March 2020 - however, it will be reduced from three services a day pre-pandemic to just one, and the company has made no long-term commitment to continuing the service beyond the end of November."

Up until this morning, the service seems to be bookable at 2x daily to the end of the summer schedule. It was being sold as 3x daily with SNN-based/overnight for the winer. Although LHR-SNN is now not bookable for any date, so something is up. Perhaps related to the winter cancellations OA260 mentioned above. ORK-LHR is currently on-sale from 22nd November at its pre-pandemic 4x daily. Let's see what actually operates.

wexfordflyer

Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:54 pm

tonystan wrote:
wexfordflyer wrote:

Thanks!

The Tube is tedious at the best of times especially if you are going beyond the West End.

IrishLessor wrote:
IrishLessor wrote:
tonystan wrote:

Sorry Wexfordflyer, I replied to the wrong post!

No problem - thanks both, will have a look at Heathrow Connect

al2637

Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:57 pm

Any idea why the DAA T1 lounge closes at 1330 on a Monday?

OA260

Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:55 pm

al2637 wrote:

I heard it was staffing issues but nothing concrete to 100% confirm that. Someone who works at the airport also said they cant get everyone off the PUP and back to work. Again not confirmed.

OA260

Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:27 pm

DAA to hire new security officers to stop airport chaos

DAA has launched a recruitment drive to hire dozens more security personnel in a bid to prevent queues that have delayed passengers, causing some to miss flights, in recent weeks.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/daa-t ... 37283.html

OA260

Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:35 pm

Ryanair invests €50m in new training centre for pilots

Ryanair has invested €50m in a new training centre in north Dublin as part of plans to recruit and train 5,000 new pilots, cabin crew, engineers and ground staff over the next five years across Europe.

The facility contains three full motion simulators as well as two fixed base simulators.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0914/1246 ... or-pilots/

ShamrockBoi330

Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:34 am

Any word on when Aer Lingus is resuming YYZ?

Friend booked ticket only in the last 2 weeks and is due to fly in the 20th... yes, of next week!

EIEIDW

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:32 am

ShamrockBoi330 wrote:

Friend booked ticket only in the last 2 weeks and is due to fly in the 20th... yes, of next week!

Resumes on the 17th of September - 3x/4x weekly A321neo

noriom42

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:39 am

Regarding the Cork runway works, I've heard that before it will be re-opened they will be testing it by landing an A380 there. Can anyone confirm this? Could it even be remotely true?

dstc47

Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:19 am

EIEIDW wrote:
ShamrockBoi330 wrote:

Resumes on the 17th of September - 3x/4x weekly A321neo

EI have resumed television advertising of a general nature, but they could perhaps bring passengers more information about the services now being operated, as there must be many persons completely out of touch with what is on offer, and from where. A good number seem unaware of the ORK situation or of the resumed SNN/LHR flight.

In passing, if you are considering London for Christmas, there will be no trains to LHR on the 26th December.

OA260

Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:23 am

25kg turtle who washed up on Donegal beach to take Aer Lingus flight home to Gran Canaria today

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/25k ... 52905.html

--

Aer Lingus Cabin Crew Warned Potential For Compulsory Redundancies Will Remain Even If They Agree To Deal

www.hospitalityireland.com/amp/general- ... eal-146244

opticalilyushin

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:28 am

veron wrote:
IrishLessor wrote:
Veron,

Spot on! About 50 pax. Hard enough landing and we felt the full capabilities of the 737-800 braking system. Interestingly they moved 5 passengers from the back few seats up a few rows before takeoff. Left us in our row 33 seats (very back) though.

The fare wasn't far off £1. Same flight was bookable for 5 Euro on Friday, though probably something to do with the fact it was the day before ceasing operations from BHD.

Noticed a BA aircraft parked on the other side of the airfield (Shorts side, not terminal side). Anyone any info on this?

The Cityflyer 190 parked on Shorts side is a spare for the BACF BHD operation.

I'm not quite sure where the seat blocking story on their previous operation came from (and I'm not saying such a rule existed or not), but many flights to STN and some of the other routes from BHD regularly carried passenger numbers in the 170s and 180s

wexfordflyer

Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:39 am

noriom42 wrote:
Regarding the Cork runway works, I've heard that before it will be re-opened they will be testing it by landing an A380 there. Can anyone confirm this? Could it even be remotely true?

If it sounds too good to be true........

Folks, anyone who has travelled to Spain recently and had to complete the prior health declaration. It needs a seat number to be completed. Does this essentially mean you have to pay for an assigned seat in order to get a number and complete the form? Form says it has to be completed more than 48hrs before departure, online CI only opens 24hrs. Does anyone know a way around this?

OA260

Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:49 pm

wexfordflyer wrote:

Folks, anyone who has travelled to Spain recently and had to complete the prior health declaration. It needs a seat number to be completed. Does this essentially mean you have to pay for an assigned seat in order to get a number and complete the form? Form says it has to be completed more than 48hrs before departure, online CI only opens 24hrs. Does anyone know a way around this?

Yes been back and forth a few times I had my seat number but others just put 3A etc . its not going to cause an issue . Seat changes happen often anyway.

noriom42

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:04 pm

wexfordflyer wrote:
noriom42 wrote:

While I agree, I heard it from a friend of a friend who was talking to a ground engineer at the airport. We’ll wait and see but here’s hoping!

OA260

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:23 pm

wexfordflyer wrote:
Form says it has to be completed more than 48hrs before departure, online CI only opens 24hrs. Does anyone know a way around this?

BTW it says it cant be completed more than 48 hours before so you can do it 24 hours before if you prefer to have the exact seat number in.

--

In other news seems the DUB - BOS 136/137 is further cancelled until 30/10 . The DUB - YYZ on Tues Thur Sat is being cancelled. DUB - ORD Mon Wed Fri Sun 124/125 is cancelled til 30/10.

wexfordflyer

Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:27 pm

OA260 wrote:
wexfordflyer wrote:

Yes been back and forth a few times I had my seat number but others just put 3A etc . its not going to cause an issue . Seat changes happen often anyway.

Super, thanks

eicvd

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:50 pm

Regarding the post about the lounge closing early on Mondays, It’s not officially back open yet, staff where told in June they’d be back in October. It’s just been duty managers & higher working there since the pandemic ‘closed’ the lounge.

JAmie2k9

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:32 pm

al2637 wrote:

Hours per DUB website.

The T1 Lounge is open with the following opening hours:

Tuesday: 8:30-16:30
Wednesday: 8:30-16:30
Thursday: 6:00-16:30
Friday: 8:30-16:30
Saturday:5:30 - 14:30
Sunday & Monday: 5:30 - 13:30

*Please note the East Lounge, the T2 Lounge and the 51st & Green Lounge will remain closed until further notice.

Eirules

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:36 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
al2637 wrote:

Hours per DUB website.

The T1 Lounge is open with the following opening hours:

Tuesday: 8:30-16:30
Wednesday: 8:30-16:30
Thursday: 6:00-16:30
Friday: 8:30-16:30
Saturday:5:30 - 14:30
Sunday & Monday: 5:30 - 13:30

*Please note the East Lounge, the T2 Lounge and the 51st & Green Lounge will remain closed until further notice.

Ridiculous opening hours. I’m flying to LHR with BA tomorrow and even though the contract has been re-signed, my 7.50am flight won’t have lounge access. In fact, of the 4 BA flights to London tomorrow, only one will get lounge access.

That said, when I was there a few weeks ago the offering was pitiful. Zero hot food, no sandwiches, no fruit. All that was on offer was yoghurt, brown bread & rubbery cheese

OA260

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:37 am

Aer Lingus LHR lounge open again . Its had a deep clean food options the same. The replacement seats look very much like the ones that used to be at DUB. Maybe they are. The lounge was busy enough.

Last nights A321NEO flight was pretty full. Lots of business flyers.

jrfspa320

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:46 am

Why doesnt EI move the NOC flight to LHR while they have the slots? Might help with loads

iRISH251

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:14 am

noriom42 wrote:

What would need to be "tested" by landing an A380?

tonystan

Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:33 am

Eirules wrote:

Ridiculous opening hours. I’m flying to LHR with BA tomorrow and even though the contract has been re-signed, my 7.50am flight won’t have lounge access. In fact, of the 4 BA flights to London tomorrow, only one will get lounge access.

That said, when I was there a few weeks ago the offering was pitiful. Zero hot food, no sandwiches, no fruit. All that was on offer was yoghurt, brown bread & rubbery cheese

I was told only last week passing through on BA that Gold/Silver and Club passengers still cant use the lounge. Has this changed since?

OA260

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:47 am

tonystan wrote:
Eirules wrote:

I was told only last week passing through on BA that Gold/Silver and Club passengers still cant use the lounge. Has this changed since?

Updated and open for use. Obviously subject to changes at any time.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=DUB

tonystan

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:22 pm

OA260 wrote:
tonystan wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Updated and open for use. Obviously subject to changes at any time.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=DUB

Ah that’s brilliant to hear, cheers for that….shame about the hours though! Lol

HTCone

Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:15 pm

noriom42 wrote:
wexfordflyer wrote:
noriom42 wrote:

While I agree, I heard it from a friend of a friend who was talking to a ground engineer at the airport. We’ll wait and see but here’s hoping!

Runway far too short for A380 at Cork. Airbus were certifying the A330 NEO crosswind limits a few years ago in Shannon. They popped down towards Cork and were on final approach before they realised they wouldn’t be able to get back out again so went around. A380 story is BS I’m afraid. It was only able to land in Knock because it would never have to get out again.

cbchicago

Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:33 pm

Hello Aer Lingus, Down time could be a good opportunity to upgrade the 1968 ASTRAL reservation system. Only those that have ever used it would understand,

EIDL

Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:35 pm

wexfordflyer wrote:
noriom42 wrote:

Its less than 48h, not more than. So you can wait for online checkin. Did that two weeks ago.

JAmie2k9

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:38 pm

https://www.thejournal.ie/aer-lingus-di ... 8-Sep2021/

CABIN CREW AT Aer Lingus face “imminent” temporary lay-offs after staff rejected a ballot over structural change proposed by the airline.

In a letter to staff today, the airline said there will no pay rises for cabin crew members until 2025 at the earliest and said a number of temporary lay-offs would be necessary.

The airline has said its voluntary severance programme will close “and no further severance offers will be made to individuals under the scheme”.

Cabin crew had been told by trade union Forsa about potential reduncies if they did not vote in favour of a proposed structural change agreement.

Aer Lingus also said today that it had identified a “surplus” of ‘Cabin Service Managers’ (CSMs) and that there is “an imminent” need to temporarily lay-off a numbers of CSMs which is likely to continue “well into 2022 and indeed increase in number”.

It said that it had been expected cabin crew pay and hours would likely move to 80% before Christmas but the surplus means CSMs will not progress to 80% working arrangement in line with other crew grads “and will instead be retained at 60% of their underlying contracted hours and pay for the foreseeable future”.

The airline said it is likely that lay-offs will also extend to other cabin crew grades starting next year and that an immediate review of employment terms and cabin crew conditions will be needed.

OA260

Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:55 pm

cbchicago wrote:
Hello Aer Lingus, Down time could be a good opportunity to upgrade the 1968 ASTRAL reservation system. Only those that have ever used it would understand,

Maybe its planned during this Winters lockdowns ;)

opticalilyushin

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:30 pm

cbchicago wrote:

It's still more reliable than a few of the newer alternatives out there, but I kinda know what you mean.

bx737

Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:47 am

cbchicago wrote:

I have spoken to a few people and asked them about Astral. From what I understand, it is old technology, but it is extremely efficient. The main complaints seem to be about the sign in language used. One person told me that Astral was faster than the system used by Emirates, information was easier to find and overall it was better to use, apart from the various sign in bits, once you get in, it is very efficient.

Fliplot

Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:08 pm

Is there any end to the current wave of negativity in EI. The current ad on TV is even more bland than the rebrand. Could it not have been possible to name one actual destination or are the schedules that poor? Bad publicity re crewing problems. Continuing cancellations. Surely they could hype up the creation of Emerald and the opening of the updated lounge, though some of the photos above suggest a cramped space. Most other carriers are trying to be up beat why not EI?

ClassicLover

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:08 pm

bx737 wrote:
I have spoken to a few people and asked them about Astral. From what I understand, it is old technology, but it is extremely efficient. The main complaints seem to be about the sign in language used. One person told me that Astral was faster than the system used by Emirates, information was easier to find and overall it was better to use, apart from the various sign in bits, once you get in, it is very efficient.

What do you mean by the sign in "language" ? I'm just curious to know. You would think that if there was such a major pain point, that they could amend that aspect of the system to make it more streamlined and user friendly. If they're going to keep it (and if it works for them, why not), some money should be spent on the user experience to make it simpler to use in any place where it's not.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos