Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

asuflyer
Topic Author

Azores Airlines to start JFK

Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:58 am

Azores Airlines will start a once weekly JFK-Funchal flight on behalf of tour operator Inovtravel - Portugal Getaways. The flight begins on November 1st, and has been loaded in the GDS but is not yet bookable. A very unexpected route and strange timing to launch such a route IMHO.

S4263 FNC1600 – 1850JFK 321 1
S4262 JFK2050 – 0805+1321 1

Previously, prior to the pandemic Azores Airlines has had plans to start JFK or EWR from PDL.

https://kiosquedaaviacao.pt/sata-azores ... o-funchal/

LAX772LR

Re: Azores Airlines to start JFK

Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:06 am

Guessing an -LR, or are they gonna try to do with with a "standard" A321NEO?
(yes, I'm aware Airbus no longer makes a distinction between the two)

A330Inter

Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:36 am

LAX772LR wrote:

According to Airfleets they have 2 A321-NXLR already in the fleet, that should be enough for the route

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Azores%20Airlines-active-a321.htm

airbazar

Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:47 pm

Not really a strange time. Madeira is a year-round destination with temps in the 60's and 70's during the colder months. It has been a very popular destination for Europeans for Christmas and New Year's for years. Tf they are flying on behalf of a tour operator the risk to the airline should be low.

shamrock321

Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:52 pm

airbazar wrote:
Not really a strange time. Madeira is a year-round destination with temps in the 60's and 70's during the colder months. It has been a very popular destination for Europeans for Christmas and New Year's for years. Tf they are flying on behalf of a tour operator the risk to the airline should be low.

I think the “strange time” comment is more to do with the ongoing pandemic, Portuguese citizens not being able to enter the US from Portugal as things stand and it looking increasingly likely that US travellers will have stricter travel rules imposed on them by the EU.

MIflyer12

Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:08 pm

airbazar wrote:

There are plenty of destinations popular with Europeans that aren't a bit popular with Americans, and vice versa. Christmas brings a 48% chance of a clear day in Madeira with an avg high of 61F, and 72% at Kailua-Kona with an avg high of 81F. I know where I would rather spend the holiday.

weatherspark.com

Cory6188

Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:43 pm

I'll be curious how well this works - these sorts of European vacation destinations aren't super well known among Americans. DL couldn't make JFK-PDL work (obviously, the Azores isn't Madeira, but same idea), and that's coming with the power from DL's airline brand loyalty/recognition in the US, so I'm a little skeptical that this will have a ton of US demand (even if it is via a tour operator).

Thenoflyzone

Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:03 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

It should be doable with both, but it'll probably be an -LR, for added wiggle room. We are talking about JFK, after all.

DKNEF

Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:08 pm

Does Azores still fly to Oakland? I remember seeing them a couple years ago..

sfojvjets

Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:55 pm

DKNEF wrote:

Yes, they fly to OAK seasonally. They used to wet-lease Hi-Fly's ex-EK A343 and fly direct, but this summer, they flew one-stop TER-YYZ-OAK on the LR. (Pre-A343 they flew it nonstop on their own metal for a couple years with the A330, and before that, they flew it with a stop in Canada on the A310.) They still have two more flights left this year (Sep 7 and Sep 28th) before they leave OAK and return in summer 2022.

SFO or even SJC would also be a better choice than OAK but from what I have heard, these flights are subsidized by the Portuguese government and I guess OAK is the cheapest.

Edited to remove unrelated sentence

Galwayman

Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:18 pm

asuflyer wrote:
Azores Airlines will start a once weekly JFK-Funchal flight on behalf of tour operator Inovtravel - Portugal Getaways. The flight begins on November 1st, and has been loaded in the GDS but is not yet bookable. A very unexpected route and strange timing to launch such a route IMHO.

Previously, prior to the pandemic Azores Airlines has had plans to start JFK or EWR from PDL.

Azores are amazing . Better than Hawaii ever was before it was trashed . Hope they know what they’re doing to their tourist industry …

lesfalls

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:09 pm

sfojvjets wrote:
DKNEF wrote:

Yes, they fly to OAK seasonally. They used to wet-lease Hi-Fly's ex-EK A343 and fly direct, but this summer, they flew one-stop TER-YYZ-OAK on the LR. (Pre-A343 they flew it nonstop on their own metal for a couple years with the A330, and before that, they flew it with a stop in Canada on the A310.) They still have two more flights left this year (Sep 7 and Sep 28th) before they leave OAK and return in summer 2022.

SFO or even SJC would also be a better choice than OAK but from what I have heard, these flights are subsidized by the Portuguese government and I guess OAK is the cheapest.

Wasn't it 5th freedom 1 year when they flew it on the A310 on TER-YYZ-OAK? I remember something back almost 10 years ago.

sfojvjets

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:25 pm

lesfalls wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:
DKNEF wrote:

Wasn't it 5th freedom 1 year when they flew it on the A310 on TER-YYZ-OAK? I remember something back almost 10 years ago.

Could be. I honestly don't know.

as739x

Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:31 pm

sfojvjets wrote:
DKNEF wrote:

It has to do with the location of the Portuguese population, which is closed to OAK. Why fly farther away and into more expensive airports?

johns624

Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:26 am

Galwayman wrote:
asuflyer wrote:

Azores are amazing . Better than Hawaii ever was before it was trashed . Hope they know what they’re doing to their tourist industry …
There's more to Hawaii than HNL...a lot more.

airbazar

Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:33 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

There are plenty of destinations popular with Europeans that aren't a bit popular with Americans, and vice versa. Christmas brings a 48% chance of a clear day in Madeira with an avg high of 61F, and 72% at Kailua-Kona with an avg high of 81F. I know where I would rather spend the holiday.

weatherspark.com

I'm not sure why we're comparing Madeira with Hawaii. Madeira doesn't even have a beach. Although Porto Santo does.
There are nearly a million Portuguese living within driving distance of JFK, a good number of which trace their family tree back to Madeira. I'm sure there are a good number of American's also interested in visiting Madeira. 22 charter flights on a plane with 200 seats shouldn't be too difficult to sell. From what I understand you can't just book the flight. You must book a vacation package to get on this flight and I'm sure the tour operator that chartered the plane knows more about this market than anyone here on a.net. It's not like they just started to sell Madeira now. The difference is now passengers can avoid connecting in LIS or PDL.

adamh8297

Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:45 pm

airbazar wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

weatherspark.com

I'm not sure why we're comparing Madeira with Hawaii. Madeira doesn't even have a beach. Although Porto Santo does.
There are nearly a million Portuguese living within driving distance of JFK, a good number of which trace their family tree back to Madeira. I'm sure there are a good number of American's also interested in visiting Madeira. 22 charter flights on a plane with 200 seats shouldn't be too difficult to sell. From what I understand you can't just book the flight. You must book a vacation package to get on this flight and I'm sure the tour operator that chartered the plane knows more about this market than anyone here on a.net. It's not like they just started to sell Madeira now. The difference is now passengers can avoid connecting in LIS or PDL.

Madeira has some small and usually human "engineered" beaches.

https://www.europeanbestdestinations.co ... t-beaches/

Machico - a town next to Santa Cruz by the airport also has a sand and a pebble beach.

latinthug23

Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:32 pm

Your statement clearly demonstrates your lack of knowledge about Madeira.

Madeira doesn't have a beach - really?
I can name 5 natural black sand beaches on the island, just off the top of my head:
Praia da Jamaica - Seixal
Praia da Lagoa - Porto da Cruz
Praia da Quebra Canela / das Areias do Larano - Porto da Cruz
Prainha - Canical
Praia Formosa / Nova - Funchal
I'm sure there are a few more but I cant remember them right now.

Then you have the numerous rocky shingle ones too - which are also still classified as a "beach". In addition, there are the 2 golden (man-made) beaches.

I recommend you visit the island to update your knowledge.

airbazar

Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:23 pm

latinthug23 wrote:

Your statement clearly demonstrates your lack of knowledge about Madeira.

Madeira doesn't have a beach - really?
I can name 5 natural black sand beaches on the island, just off the top of my head:
Praia da Jamaica - Seixal
Praia da Lagoa - Porto da Cruz
Praia da Quebra Canela / das Areias do Larano - Porto da Cruz
Prainha - Canical
Praia Formosa / Nova - Funchal
I'm sure there are a few more but I cant remember them right now.

Then you have the numerous rocky shingle ones too - which are also still classified as a "beach". In addition, there are the 2 golden (man-made) beaches.

I recommend you visit the island to update your knowledge.

In the land of the blind a one-eyed man is king. It's an island. Of course it has "beaches". But no one goes to Madeira for its beaches. They suck. It's ludicrous to compare Madeira with Hawaii.
By the way, I'm a Portuguese citizen who went to high school in Lisbon (Escola Secundaria Padre Antonio Vieira). I think I know Madeira very well.