Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RWA380
Topic Author

AS unveils their newest "special livery" Russell Wilson

Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:28 pm

SEATTLE, Sept. 10, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- The celebration for the return of professional football continues today at Alaska Airlines, where the Seattle-based airline unveiled its fourth Russell Wilson livery. The Boeing 737-900ER aircraft was introduced to fans waiting for a flight from Seattle (SEA) to Indianapolis (IND), where Alaska's Chief Football Officer is set to take the field in his first game this season.

My own input is, A different type of new livery & a departure from animated Disney characters, celebrating an awesome athlete & a man dedicated to the advancement of Pacific Northwest Sports, with the hopes of Pro-Baseball in Portland down the road & bet AS has a special livery for them as well, just like my absolute favorite AS livery ever the Timbers Jet.

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2021-09- ... nes-livery

The plane, tail number N296AK, will fly throughout Alaska's network all season long. Keep an eye out for additional Russell Wilson and Alaska fun this football season by following Alaska Airlines at @AlaskaAir.

I know the fly, while wearing his jersey is getting early boarding for some in the know, I keep one in my hand carry bag & toss it over anything I am wearing except outerwear.

N292UX

Re: AS unveils their newest "special livery" Russel Williams

Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:43 pm

Will it salute Russell Wilson by suddenly running out of fuel and having to divert in the 4th quarter of the flight? Sorry I had to :D

gmcc

Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:00 pm

N292UX wrote:
Will it salute Russell Wilson by suddenly running out of fuel and having to divert in the 4th quarter of the flight? Sorry I had to :D

If they wanted it to do that they would have put it on one of the returning A320s, then scheduled it to fly in to the strongest winter headwinds so it would have to tech stop. Don't think that is what they are going for :duck: :white:

TheZ

Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:06 pm

Russel Williams is my favorite player on the C-Hox

UA444

Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:22 pm

Friendly reminder that he was low key terrible the second half of last year.

Re: AS unveils their newest "special livery" Russell Wilson

Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:05 am

Is it just me or does that photo with Russell in it make the 737 look like the nose gear is collapsed?

SeaDoo

Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:08 am

727231 wrote:
Is it just me or does that photo with Russell in it make the 737 look like the nose gear is collapsed?

You are spot on

Wingtips56

Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:16 am

That's what it looked like to me too.
Meanwhile I was wondering if it would be sacrilegious for the next version to feature his face on the tail, wearing Chester's fur hood.

dc10lover

Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:39 am

Excellent promotion for both Russell Wilson & Alaska Airlines.

USAirKid

Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:08 am

727231 wrote:

Yeah I came here to say that.

I’m kinda amazed that AS’s media team let that get out.

It’s a bad angle and the photographer should’ve figured that out pretty quickly.

LittleFokker

Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:40 am

N292UX wrote:

Nah, it just won't run on a really short flight

MIflyer12

Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:12 pm

USAirKid wrote:
727231 wrote:

It’s a bad angle and the photographer should’ve figured that out pretty quickly.

It's a dramatic, artistic framing. People aren't going to see it and think the plane crashed.

mhockey31091

Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:41 pm

I always think its funny he's sponsored by them but he owns a Gulfstream he flies around on.

planespot

Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:18 pm

Caught it departing Newark early this morning:

USAirKid

Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:09 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
USAirKid wrote:
727231 wrote:

It's a dramatic, artistic framing. People aren't going to see it and think the plane crashed.

I’d agree…. If this photo was in a gallery or an artistic collection. It’s a really good photo in the sense that it makes you work to interpret what is going on. Instead it’s supposed to be showing Mr. Wilson and the plane with his name on it.

It’s the difference between a comedian covering a topical news item and the newscaster delivering the news. They each have their place, but this was a news release, not a artistic compilation put together by Alaska Airlines.

Rajahdhani

Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:26 am

dc10lover wrote:
Excellent promotion for both Russell Wilson & Alaska Airlines.

I agree. That said, can you imagine if they put Mrs. Wilson on an aircraft as well?

"Let me see you, one, two - step".

spinkid

Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:15 am

In my memory at least, he is one of the few living celebrities to have his own Logo Jet. The only one that comes to mind right now is Taylor Swift with Air Asia.................Russell Wilson has a great reputation, but imagine the nightmare that would unfold if some huge negative PR scandal involving him was in the headlines.

Wingtips56

Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:17 am

spinkid wrote:
In my memory at least, he is one of the few living celebrities to have his own Logo Jet. The only one that comes to mind right now is Taylor Swift with Air Asia.................Russell Wilson has a great reputation, but imagine the nightmare that would unfold if some huge negative PR scandal involving him was in the headlines.

The plane would go straight to the hanger for the logo removal.

USAirKid

Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:13 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
spinkid wrote:

The plane would go straight to the hanger for the logo removal.

Yup admittedly this is the risk of anytime a company has a celebrity spokesperson. Jared the Subway guy comes to mind, but I’m sure there are other examples. The company quickly cuts ties with the person and removes any promotional materials with their name or likeness. Just in this case the promotional material is an airplane.

Is this one standard on the inside? I know AS has done special things in the cabin with the salmon plane…

Lootess

Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:54 am

spinkid wrote:

Alaska has to live with Russell Wilson as their only connection to the Seahawks, as Delta is the official airline of the Seahawks.

wedgetail737

Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:08 pm

This is the third version of the Russell Wilson theme plane. He's been the "Chief Football Officer" for most of his career so far.

32andBelow

Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:45 pm

Lootess wrote:
spinkid wrote:

Alaska has to live with Russell Wilson as their only connection to the Seahawks, as Delta is the official airline of the Seahawks.

Alaska could have bought the naming rights to that stadium. But it might have been too spendy for them.

sxf24

Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:54 pm

spinkid wrote:

Kevin Durant also had an AS logo jet.

chrisair

Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:36 pm

USAirKid wrote:
Is this one standard on the inside? I know AS has done special things in the cabin with the salmon plane…

No different inside. Or at least the earlier version of the plane was. Can't imagine they'll do anything different now.

The only one that was different inside was the Starliner. That one was pretty cool with all the photos on the bins. If I recall, the Salmon plane had a plaque inside, as did the Disneyland one with Minnie on the front door (is that one even flying yet?).

wedgetail737

Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:46 pm

sxf24 wrote:
spinkid wrote:

Kevin Durant also had an AS logo jet.

Yes...that is true!

wedgetail737

Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:47 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Lootess wrote:
spinkid wrote:

Alaska could have bought the naming rights to that stadium. But it might have been too spendy for them.

AS already has an arena with their name on it at the UW.

wedgetail737

Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:50 pm

chrisair wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

No different inside. Or at least the earlier version of the plane was. Can't imagine they'll do anything different now.

The only one that was different inside was the Starliner. That one was pretty cool with all the photos on the bins. If I recall, the Salmon plane had a plaque inside, as did the Disneyland one with Minnie on the front door (is that one even flying yet?).

The old Cupid -400 had Disney art on the stowbins. The three "Honor" aircraft have a big plaque inside the door on one of the galleys. Lastly, the first Russell Wilson airplane had a sticker outside the door greeting passengers.

I don't know if the Salmon-Thirty-Salmon has anything in them.

USAirKid

Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:22 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
chrisair wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

The old Cupid -400 had Disney art on the stowbins. The three "Honor" aircraft have a big plaque inside the door on one of the galleys. Lastly, the first Russell Wilson airplane had a sticker outside the door greeting passengers.

I don't know if the Salmon-Thirty-Salmon has anything in them.

When I flew on the Salmon-Thirty-Salmon years ago it had salmon decal art on the overhead bins.

ASFlyer

Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:14 pm

Lootess wrote:
spinkid wrote:

Russell Wilson is the most recognizable face of the Seahawks, and has been one of the better NFL players in general. Who cares if Delta is the "official airline of the Seahawks" - Alaska has managed to cut Delta off at the knees here by their association with the most recognizable and popular player on the team. Ask any Seattlite who they think is the actual official airline and the majority would probably say Alaska because of the relentless advertising during football season using Russell Wilson. Delta wasted their money.

SEU

Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:14 pm

727231 wrote:

Yes, odd illusion

airportugal310

Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:46 am

ASFlyer wrote:
Lootess wrote:
spinkid wrote:

Russell Wilson is the most recognizable face of the Seahawks, and has been one of the better NFL players in general. Who cares if Delta is the "official airline of the Seahawks" - Alaska has managed to cut Delta off at the knees here by their association with the most recognizable and popular player on the team. Ask any Seattlite who they think is the actual official airline and the majority would probably say Alaska because of the relentless advertising during football season using Russell Wilson. Delta wasted their money.

I don’t think you know much about football with a statement like that. Just what they spoon feed people in Seattle I’d guess

NameOmitted

Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:12 pm

32andBelow wrote:

That holds its own PR uncertainty.

In Anchorage, the two non-hospital buildings most publicly associated with COVID are the Sullivan Arena, currently the largest homeless shelter in the county, and the Alaska Airline Center, emergency overflow for Providence Hospital and COVID testing site.

I imagine there's not a single corporation in America who would have relished their name being associated with the Superdome after Katrina.

Polot

Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:13 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
I imagine there's not a single corporation in America who would have relished their name being associated with the Superdome after Katrina.

You mean like Mercedes Benz and Caesars Entertainment, both of whom acquired the naming rights to the Superdome after Katrina?

CitrusCritter

Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:05 pm

spinkid wrote:

Elton John was featured on an AirTran plane to promote the XM Radio entertainment.

ASFlyer

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:31 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
Lootess wrote:

I don’t think you know much about football with a statement like that. Just what they spoon feed people in Seattle I’d guess

You're not wrong - which only lends more truth to what I'm saying. Russell Wilson is, hands down, the most recognizable Seahawk currently playing in Seattle. Those that know football and those that don't know who he is for the most part. His name in Seattle is synonymous with the Seahawks. Alaska uses his name all over TV and radio ads during football season. Delta wasted their money.

NameOmitted

Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:04 pm

Polot wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

You mean like Mercedes Benz and Caesars Entertainment, both of whom acquired the naming rights to the Superdome after Katrina?

Correnct. I mean to say DURING Katrina.

Naming rights are obviously more of a positive than a negative, I was just trying to point out that some of the same questions earlier people brought up (Subway and Jarrad) can be asked of buildings as well.

QXAS

Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:45 pm

chrisair wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

Spirit of Make a Wish had Disney art on the bins. If I recall correctly the 100 years of Boeing aircraft had/has a plaque on one of the galley walls. Those are the only two specials I’ve ever flown on.

toobz

Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:22 pm

AS needs to invest in their hard product and not waste money on airplane paint.

F9Animal

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:24 pm

Saw it a few days ago! Love it!! And I love Russell Wilson. In fact, saw him this morning. That man is dedicated to what he does. He is the first to arrive, and the last to leave. Still goes to Children's hospital weekly, and is just a great hearted man. How cool to have a plane dedicated to him!

USAirKid

Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:40 pm

toobz wrote:

Eh last I checked they refitted most of their planes with new seats within the past five years or so?

RWA380
Topic Author

Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 pm

toobz wrote:

I think they are potentially looking for a better premium product for longer haul & Hawaii, maybe initially on the MAX 9? There are even more options down the road. ANC-FLL? All only potential actions, but AS needs to bring a MINT style product in a small sub fleet of aircraft, for specific routes & they need to keep up closer to the competition JFK-LAX/SFO.

wedgetail737

Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:07 am

RWA380 wrote:
toobz wrote:

I think they are potentially looking for a better premium product for longer haul & Hawaii, maybe initially on the MAX 9? There are even more options down the road. ANC-FLL? All only potential actions, but AS needs to bring a MINT style product in a small sub fleet of aircraft, for specific routes & they need to keep up closer to the competition JFK-LAX/SFO.

Didn't AS already announce that they are disposing their SFO-JFK route.

RWA380
Topic Author

Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:55 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
toobz wrote:

As long as they have a usable gate, they could get 8-9 flights out of JFK. It may not mean they will return or not, but new product, reimagined schedule I'd imagine. AAG they said that about LGB ...

ASFlyer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:12 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
toobz wrote:

No. LAX-JFK only, but LAX-EWR is supposed to remain. SFO-JFK/EWR are still on the schedule.

sfojvjets

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:20 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
toobz wrote:

No - they haven't said anything about SFO-JFK thus far.

LAX-JFK, well that's a different story... scheduled to be cut in October and I don't see anything that could lead to a reversal in that plan. They might end up cutting SFO-JFK as well at a later date, although maybe not, because the competition on LAX-NYC is just so stiff. SFO-NYC has stiff competition, sure - but much, much less than LAX-NYC.

And with regards to the previous post concerning Alaska adding a premium product on a subfleet - as much as I'd be thrilled to see that happen, I can't reasonably see how it ever will.

The first step to becoming a more premium carrier is most definitely *not* cutting your most premium route. LAX-JFK is being cut out of the network, and SFO-JFK might eventually get the axe as well. That doesn't bode well at all for a carrier that hypothetically plans on introducing some new type of Mint-esque lieflat direct-aisle-access premium transcon seat. Secondly - compared to all of its competitors - AS's transcon footprint really isn't that large at all, since (I'm guesstimating) 80% of all transcon flights depart from one airport - and the subset of "premium" transcon flights is so small that you can almost count them on your fingers:

EWR
4x SEA
4x LAX
3x SFO
1x PDX
1x SAN

JFK
4x SEA
4x SFO
2x PDX
2x SAN

And then there's a couple from DCA/IAD to each of these, plus some BOS flights sprinkled in there too.

Even still, this pales in comparison to the likes of UA, B6, DL, AA, etc - who have not only many more routes to worry about, but also way, way more frequencies to fly. Is it really worth AS's $$ to invest in a premium subfleet, or would it be better for them to focus on their core interest - more leisure-based flights as well as banked flights that suit their network better? Should they build up PDX as a reliever hub or try to increase their footprint with CA customers, or instead chase the sexy lieflat J market?

The only conceivable way that I think they could justify adding a premium transcon seat is to increase brand resonance with potential CA-based customers and highlight a new, premium experience to attract a richer (or corporate) customer pool.

wedgetail737

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:22 am

ASFlyer wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

No. LAX-JFK only, but LAX-EWR is supposed to remain. SFO-JFK/EWR are still on the schedule.

Oh...thank you for the correction.

Lootess

Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:51 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
Lootess wrote:
spinkid wrote:

Um the 12th Man exists, but in any case Delta being the official airline locks AS out of any advertising at Centurylink field, and from using the Seattle Seahawks in any branding as an affiliated airline. Not to mention promotions, Delta360 lounges, and all sorts of goodwill that comes with the partnership. Alaska settles with Russell being the Chief Football Officer.

Delta didn't waste any money, if anything they learned a cold lesson never to repeat when they lost the Atlanta Falcons to AirTran back in the day.

wedgetail737

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:45 pm

Lootess wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
Lootess wrote:

Um the 12th Man exists, but in any case Delta being the official airline locks AS out of any advertising at Centurylink field, and from using the Seattle Seahawks in any branding as an affiliated airline. Not to mention promotions, Delta360 lounges, and all sorts of goodwill that comes with the partnership. Alaska settles with Russell being the Chief Football Officer.

Delta didn't waste any money, if anything they learned a cold lesson never to repeat when they lost the Atlanta Falcons to AirTran back in the day.

As for what airline gets to fly what team is all about who provides the best bang for their buck when it comes to transportation. It's like HA flying for the Las Vegas Raiders.

But AS has a lot of branding through out the PNW. They used to have to branding with the Portland Timbers...I don't they still have that. AS is the official airline of the upcoming Seattle Kraken NHL team. I hope AS will have a theme plane for them.

ER757

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:16 pm

F9Animal wrote:
Saw it a few days ago! Love it!! And I love Russell Wilson. In fact, saw him this morning. That man is dedicated to what he does. He is the first to arrive, and the last to leave. Still goes to Children's hospital weekly, and is just a great hearted man. How cool to have a plane dedicated to him!

I volunteer at Seattle Children's Hospital too and I have never heard a staff member nor patient have anything but positive things to say about Russ. To a person, they all think the world of him. I've heard stories there about him telling his handlers that he couldn't leave to go do a radio interview etc until he saw every kid who asked to see him that day. Seems like he is the real deal. I've only met him once very briefly but he was very cordial when we chatted.

ASFlyer

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:58 am

Lootess wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
Lootess wrote:

um, okay. If you think so. I'm well aware what Delta gets by paying to sponsor the Seahawks as the "official airline" - it hasn't stopped their star player from promoting Deltas biggest competitor in Seattle on print, radio and TV ads right smack in the middle of the football season and through the rest of the year. It absolutely undermines Delta and diminishes any value they thought they were getting by paying to be the official airline. Alaska does settle but their investment is far less and it's paying off.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos