Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Miners2007
Topic Author

El Paso Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:58 am

AA has just started daily CLT service back in August. They just started daily service to AUS which will increase to 3 times daily in November. They brought mainline service back to.both Chicago flights and 7 of the 8 DFW flights. Do see any other airline expanding service at ELP now that AA has surpassed WN as the dominate carrier out of ELP. Do you AA expanding more at ELP

jplatts

Re: El Paso Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:31 pm

Miners2007 wrote:
Do see any other airline expanding service at ELP now that AA has surpassed WN as the dominate carrier out of ELP. Do you AA expanding more at ELP

There are a few more nonstop routes that WN could add out of ELP such as ELP-BWI/MDW/IAH/OAK/MCO with WAS, CHI, SFO/OAK/SJC, and MCO being four of the top markets traveled to from ELP that WN doesn't currently nonstop from ELP.

AA adding ELP-MIA/JFK/PHL nonstop service are possibilities with MIA, JFK, and PHL being the remaining non-perimeter restricted AA hubs that AA doesn't currently serve nonstop from ELP.

While AA has hubs at LGA and DCA, AA adding ELP-LGA/DCA nonstop service will not happen due to ELP being outside of the LGA and DCA perimeter.

UA adding ELP-EWR/SFO/IAD nonstop service are possibilities with NYC, SFO, and WAS being three of the top domestic destinations traveled to from ELP that aren't currently served nonstop from ELP.

While DL currently serves only ATL nonstop from ELP, DL adding ELP-DTW/LAX/JFK nonstop service are possibilities with DTW, LAX, and JFK being three of the top domestic destinations traveled to from ELP that DL doesn't currently serve nonstop from ELP along with the international connecting opportunities that are available on DL and its partners at DTW, LAX, and JFK.

flyfresno

Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:52 pm

jplatts wrote:
Miners2007 wrote:
Do see any other airline expanding service at ELP now that AA has surpassed WN as the dominate carrier out of ELP. Do you AA expanding more at ELP

There are a few more nonstop routes that WN could add out of ELP such as ELP-BWI/MDW/IAH/OAK/MCO with WAS, CHI, SFO/OAK/SJC, and MCO being four of the top markets traveled to from ELP that WN doesn't currently nonstop from ELP.

AA adding ELP-MIA/JFK/PHL nonstop service are possibilities with MIA, JFK, and PHL being the remaining non-perimeter restricted AA hubs that AA doesn't currently serve nonstop from ELP.

While AA has hubs at LGA and DCA, AA adding ELP-LGA/DCA nonstop service will not happen due to ELP being outside of the LGA and DCA perimeter.

UA adding ELP-EWR/SFO/IAD nonstop service are possibilities with NYC, SFO, and WAS being three of the top domestic destinations traveled to from ELP that aren't currently served nonstop from ELP.

While DL currently serves only ATL nonstop from ELP, DL adding ELP-DTW/LAX/JFK nonstop service are possibilities with DTW, LAX, and JFK being three of the top domestic destinations traveled to from ELP that DL doesn't currently serve nonstop from ELP along with the international connecting opportunities that are available on DL and its partners at DTW, LAX, and JFK.

I realize that ELP is relatively geographically isolated and also close to Juarez, but dang, this is a lot for an MSA of 900,000 people...

BangersAndMash

Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:26 pm

What about AS? The AA build up might encourage them to give ELP another try.

Polot

Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:27 pm

jplatts wrote:

DL couldn’t make SLC work…I doubt they will try LAX and especially DTW and JFK.

MIflyer12

Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:17 pm

Polot wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Given the size and depth of the automotive supplier base in Ciudad Juarez I've long been surprised by the absence of a DTW-ELP flight. DL could throw a CR9 at it - but hasn't.

flyfresno wrote:
I realize that ELP is relatively geographically isolated and also close to Juarez, but dang, this is a lot for an MSA of 900,000 people...

Not really. The ABQ CSA is about 10% larger but ABQ recorded 57% more arriving domestic passengers for the 12 mos ending 12/2019. ELP and ABQ don't lose domestic traffic to other airports!

F9LASDEN

Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:55 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:

AS already flies to ELP. Daily to SEA on an E175.

jmscsc

Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:58 pm

I only fly DL and would go to ELP twice a year to visit my parents in New Mexico. I never understood why DL would only fly 2-3 times a day solely to ATL. If memory serves me correctly they've tried SLC and MEM over the years and they never lasted long, so I can't imagine that they'll give JFK, LAX, or DTW a try though of the three I'd think DTW might have the best chance.

Aliqiout

Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:06 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Polot wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Given the size and depth of the automotive supplier base in Ciudad Juarez I've long been surprised by the absence of a DTW-ELP flight. DL could throw a CR9 at it - but hasn't.

flyfresno wrote:

Not really. The ABQ CSA is about 10% larger but ABQ recorded 57% more arriving domestic passengers for the 12 mos ending 12/2019. ELP and ABQ don't lose domestic traffic to other airports!

Any use of the CSA population to describe El Paso risks ignoring Juarez. While the 1.5 million people in Juarez don't generate as much traffic as 1.5 million people in El Paso would, there is a non negligible component of ELP traffic generated on the other side of the river.

Also making a direct comparison difficult, is that ABQ has a second airport with scheduled service in it's CSA.

Aliqiout

Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:07 pm

jmscsc wrote:
I only fly DL and would go to ELP twice a year to visit my parents in New Mexico. I never understood why DL would only fly 2-3 times a day solely to ATL. If memory serves me correctly they've tried SLC and MEM over the years and they never lasted long, so I can't imagine that they'll give JFK, LAX, or DTW a try though of the three I'd think DTW might have the best chance.

I don't remember them ever trying MEM, but they have tried both SLC and MSP a couple of times.

jmscsc

Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:17 pm

MEM was flown for a short period of time when they merged with NW.

BangersAndMash

Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 pm

F9LASDEN wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

AS already flies to ELP. Daily to SEA on an E175.

I know. I meant expand beyond that. They tried San Diego before but it didn't work out. Too much heat from WN presumably. Market conditions are different now though.

nyc77k

Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:56 pm

DL also flew ELP-DFW on 72S and 73S through the hub years at DFW.

n9801f

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:21 pm

jmscsc wrote:

Hmm. I don't remember ELP-MEM.

But I clearly remember AMA-MEM and LBB-MEM. And in the time frame you mention.

Aliqiout

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:26 pm

jmscsc wrote:

I am pretty sure they didn't fly ELP-MEM anytime near the merger. NW had briefly tried MSP not to long before the merger, but not MEM,

jmscsc

Re: El Paso Aviation Thread - 2021ed

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:51 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
jmscsc wrote:

I am pretty sure they didn't fly ELP-MEM anytime near the merger. NW had briefly tried MSP not to long before the merger, but not MEM,

ELP is listed ... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... stinations

EFA2014

Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:10 am

I know a a few years ago (2019?) ELP applied for the govt grant money to start/advertise ELP-IAD on United…never started but can imagine in it happening in the future

WN732

Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:15 am

jmscsc wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
jmscsc wrote:

Yes I seem to recall it being a NW Airlink route.

jmscsc

Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:24 am

WN732 wrote:
jmscsc wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:

I recall the same.

Miners2007
Topic Author

Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:35 am

One route I would like to see AS try would either be SFO or SJC. SJC was done as Sunday only prior to Covid on WN. AS pushed WN to go daily on their SAN flight when they entered the market. I would like to see AS try SAN again

kordcj

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:57 am

Miners2007 wrote:
One route I would like to see AS try would either be SFO or SJC. SJC was done as Sunday only prior to Covid on WN. AS pushed WN to go daily on their SAN flight when they entered the market. I would like to see AS try SAN again

I always hoped UA would start a ELP-SFO flight, especially after bringing some mainline flights in from IAH and DEN. I’d like to see AS bring the 2nd daily to/from SEA back. That morning flight was convenient for getting to work by the end of shift whenever travel takes me TX.

airplaneboy

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:04 am

kordcj wrote:
Miners2007 wrote:

I always hoped UA would start a ELP-SFO flight, especially after bringing some mainline flights in from IAH and DEN. I’d like to see AS bring the 2nd daily to/from SEA back. That morning flight was convenient for getting to work by the end of shift whenever travel takes me TX.

I believe WN was flying daily on ELP-SAN (and LAX) Pre-Covid (and also before AS entered ELP-SAN). WN service was reduced to less than daily when yields weren’t worth flying a daily schedule after the MAX groundings and subsequent aircraft shortage.

jplatts

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:09 am

kordcj wrote:
Miners2007 wrote:

UA is more likely to add ELP-SFO nonstop service than AS is since UA already has nonstop service out of SFO to most of the destinations that AS serves nonstop from SFO.

DAL and PAE are the only domestic destinations that are served nonstop from SFO on AS but not UA, but UA does serve DFW (in the same market as DAL) and SEA (in the same market as PAE) nonstop from SFO.

Aliqiout

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:29 pm

jmscsc wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
jmscsc wrote:

NW definitely served ELP, but it was short lived service to MSP.

Aliqiout

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:36 pm

WN732 wrote:
jmscsc wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:

They may have served it at some point, but it was not served near the time of the merger.

It doesn't show up here, but there is a big gap between maps...https://www.google.com/amp/s/airlinemap ... 52/nwa/amp

It also doesn't appear on any of the departed flights maps.

Now I seem to vaugly remember something about this. Was it extremely short lived?

Miners2007
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:13 pm

What are the chances of Frontier going daily on any of their routes out of ELP.

jmscsc

Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:52 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
WN732 wrote:
jmscsc wrote:

They may have served it at some point, but it was not served near the time of the merger.

It doesn't show up here, but there is a big gap between maps...https://www.google.com/amp/s/airlinemap ... 52/nwa/amp

It also doesn't appear on any of the departed flights maps.

Now I seem to vaugly remember something about this. Was it extremely short lived?

Yes, it was short lived from what I recall. I was going to give it a shot as it would have been a new routing for me but, again going on memory, it was on a CRJ-200 (or something similar) and I wasn't willing to fly a regional jet for a flight of that length.

ozark1

Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:16 pm

I am really dating myself here, but AA flew TUS-ELP-LGA as an all-nighter.Flight 90. Late 60s or early 70s. 727-023. Didn’t last long.

Chuska

Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:43 pm

ozark1 wrote:
I am really dating myself here, but AA flew TUS-ELP-LGA as an all-nighter.Flight 90. Late 60s or early 70s. 727-023. Didn’t last long.

I remember that. ELP has seen a lot of interesting service in the past: AA DC-10s to DFW, CO DC-10 to SAT/IAH, CO to MEX and several mexican resort cities, TWA to STL; CO, FL, F9, UA, and WN all did ELP-ABQ-DEN for many years; WA and DL tried ELP-ABQ-SLC a few times. EA TUS-ELP-ATL, TI did ELP-ROW-MAF-DFW in the mid 70s with DC-9s. CO actually had a small hub in ELP thru the 70s and early 80s with over 30 flights per day, some banks of 5 aircraft at once. A rotunda gate building was built on the east concourse just for that. WN has been the dominant carrier there since the early 80s but they've cut back a lot lately and now with the AA growth, AA now holds the number one position.

nyc77k

Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:20 pm

WN at one time or another did ELP-MAF/ABQ/LBB/SFO n/s all discontinued, HP also flew ELP-AUS/TUS as well as PHX in the 80s. One route I recall flying around 1993 that I have never been ever to find in a schedule is ABQ-ELP on AA (72S). Does anyone recall that?

MD8090orDRIVE

Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:42 pm

I once flew ABQ to ELP on WN when working in both those city's in back to back weeks and know they flew that a couple times a day for years. My question is was that just a way to funnel service through both city's or was there demand between the two. I know its just about a four hour drive if your motivated, but speed limits used to be lower and pre 9/11 security faster. I know they flew it for years so I am guessing there must have been some inter city traffic on that route

Chuska

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:01 pm

MD8090orDRIVE wrote:
I once flew ABQ to ELP on WN when working in both those city's in back to back weeks and know they flew that a couple times a day for years. My question is was that just a way to funnel service through both city's or was there demand between the two. I know its just about a four hour drive if your motivated, but speed limits used to be lower and pre 9/11 security faster. I know they flew it for years so I am guessing there must have been some inter city traffic on that route

WN's ABQ-ELP route was the second route started from ABQ after WN began service to ABQ in 1980 with, of course, flights to DAL, 10-minute turns. WN had as many as four flights per day. ELP-ABQ was a significant point to point route for many, many years as well as a good tag-on and thru destination for many other markets. People preferred flying over driving back then. And, yes, AA flew ELP-ABQ-ORD from the mid to late 1980s. At one point it was matched up with an AA LAX-ELP flight, LAX-ELP-ABQ-ORD.

Miners2007
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:15 pm

Chuska wrote:
MD8090orDRIVE wrote:

WN's ABQ-ELP route was the second route started from ABQ after WN began service to ABQ in 1980 with, of course, flights to DAL, 10-minute turns. WN had as many as four flights per day. ELP-ABQ was a significant point to point route for many, many years as well as a good tag-on and thru destination for many other markets. People preferred flying over driving back then. And, yes, AA flew ELP-ABQ-ORD from the mid to late 1980s. At one point it was matched up with an AA LAX-ELP flight, LAX-ELP-ABQ-ORD.

I flown AA strictly when I lived in ELP I don't recall any LAX or ORD flights via ABQ. ORD has always been served non stop

AAtakeMeAway

Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:24 pm

Maybe Servicio Aereo Leo Lopez will make a triumphant return!
:-)

Chuska

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:07 pm

Miners2007 wrote:
Chuska wrote:
MD8090orDRIVE wrote:

I flown AA strictly when I lived in ELP I don't recall any LAX or ORD flights via ABQ. ORD has always been served non stop

The LAX flights were nonstop but one flight from LAX to ELP then went onto ABQ in the summer of 1985. And there were ELP-ABQ-ORD flights From July, 1985 through June, 1989. I worked them at the gate in ABQ. The return at night never had a correct "thru passenger count" because people mistakenly got off in ABQ thinking they were in ELP.

Chuska

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:11 pm

AAtakeMeAway wrote:

Ay Chihuahua!!!
ELP-CUU did well for many years after AM* hijacked the route away from Leo Lopez. I guess people drive it now.

Aliqiout

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:16 pm

Chuska wrote:
AAtakeMeAway wrote:

Ay Chihuahua!!!
ELP-CUU did well for many years after AM* hijacked the route away from Leo Lopez. I guess people drive it now.

It looks like CJS doesn't have CUU service these days either?

Bald1983

Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:40 am

Chuska wrote:
ozark1 wrote:

I remember that. ELP has seen a lot of interesting service in the past: AA DC-10s to DFW, CO DC-10 to SAT/IAH, CO to MEX and several mexican resort cities, TWA to STL; CO, FL, F9, UA, and WN all did ELP-ABQ-DEN for many years; WA and DL tried ELP-ABQ-SLC a few times. EA TUS-ELP-ATL, TI did ELP-ROW-MAF-DFW in the mid 70s with DC-9s. CO actually had a small hub in ELP thru the 70s and early 80s with over 30 flights per day, some banks of 5 aircraft at once. A rotunda gate building was built on the east concourse just for that. WN has been the dominant carrier there since the early 80s but they've cut back a lot lately and now with the AA growth, AA now holds the number one position.

CO had a pilot base in the very early sixties as well. They re-opened it in 1977, I believe.

frontierflyer

Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:51 pm

Is AA using gate B2 permanently? I saw a 737 parked the other day .

HanCholo

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:59 am

EFA2014 wrote:
I know a a few years ago (2019?) ELP applied for the govt grant money to start/advertise ELP-IAD on United…never started but can imagine in it happening in the future

Yes. ELP applied for the grant money, but I have not been able to find any information if UA plans on initiating service between ELP-IAD soon. It would make a lot of sense. As I've said before there's Ft. Bliss next door along with Holloman Air Force base approximately two hours away plus the heavy federal law enforcement presence. I wonder if they'd use an E175? Either way I hope it happens in the future too.

HanCholo

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:01 am

frontierflyer wrote:

From what I've seen they're using it as overflow because all the four gates in the A concourse are exclusive to AA now. It's probably the 737 from CLT that comes in the evening. Or it may disembark at one of the A gates and then is 'parked' into B2 overnight, but that's a guess.

HanCholo

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:09 am

Miners2007 wrote:
What are the chances of Frontier going daily on any of their routes out of ELP.

I'm surprised at the PDEW growth for F9 at ELP. Not sure though if that makes sense at this point since in my opinion air travel is still a little unstable with this COVID mess that's going on. Twice weekly ELP - MCO that starts in November 2021 is good enough for me and it shows F9's confidence in the market here. My question is if F9 makes ELP - ORD service year-round instead of seasonal.

HanCholo

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:12 am

jmscsc wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
jmscsc wrote:

There was never any service between ELP - MEM. NW only had it between ELP and MSP on a CRJ-200. The link above is a general list of service NW served at the time of it's merger with DL, but is not specific to any of NW's hubs.

HanCholo

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:26 am

Miners2007 wrote:
AA has just started daily CLT service back in August. They just started daily service to AUS which will increase to 3 times daily in November. They brought mainline service back to.both Chicago flights and 7 of the 8 DFW flights. Do see any other airline expanding service at ELP now that AA has surpassed WN as the dominate carrier out of ELP. Do you AA expanding more at ELP

Pre-COVID I thought NK would at least expand to ELP with a possible route to MCO or FLL, but with NK's problems not sure if expansion is in their immediate plans. I would love to see AA start a nonstop to MIA at least with Saturday-only service. Hopefully that's being considered. DL could try DTW. I'd think that route would have a higher possibility of success instead of SLC. PDEW is higher with DTW. I'm curious if David Neelman's start-up airline Breeze Airways has an interest in ELP? Once more of those A220's come online then hopefully there's some introduction of service here. Since AA is being aggressive with expansion I would love to see JFK - ELP. I always wondered if B6 would come to ELP with that latter route, but I don't see that happening in the short-term. I'm also curious if WN will start up SJC - ELP again? They eliminated the route when COVID hit.

a318

Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:28 am

I could see WN starting ELP-ISP nonstop in the near future.

jplatts

Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:12 am

a318 wrote:

While ISP is located in the NYC metro area, ISP is approximately 51 miles east of Manhattan in Ronkonkoma.

WN is unlikely to ever add ELP-ISP nonstop service, especially as most of the individuals traveling to NYC prefer to fly into LGA, JFK, or EWR which are much closer to Manhattan than ISP.

jplatts

Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:13 am

Here are the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of ELP in June 2021:
AUS-ELP - 7333 passengers, 7931 seats, 92.46% load factor
DAL-ELP - 28163 passengers, 30373 seats, 92.72% load factor
DEN-ELP - 6353 passengers, 7007 seats, 90.67% load factor
ELP-HOU - 17252 passengers, 18581 seats, 92.85% load factor
ELP-LAS - 16015 passengers, 17217 seats, 93.02% load factor
ELP-LAX - 4977 passengers, 5901 seats, 84.34% load factor
ELP-PHX - 23535 passengers, 26560 seats, 88.61% load factor
ELP-SAT - 2256 passengers, 2431 seats, 92.80% load factor

Miners2007
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:18 pm

jplatts wrote:
Here are the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of ELP in June 2021:
AUS-ELP - 7333 passengers, 7931 seats, 92.46% load factor
DAL-ELP - 28163 passengers, 30373 seats, 92.72% load factor
DEN-ELP - 6353 passengers, 7007 seats, 90.67% load factor
ELP-HOU - 17252 passengers, 18581 seats, 92.85% load factor
ELP-LAS - 16015 passengers, 17217 seats, 93.02% load factor
ELP-LAX - 4977 passengers, 5901 seats, 84.34% load factor
ELP-PHX - 23535 passengers, 26560 seats, 88.61% load factor
ELP-SAT - 2256 passengers, 2431 seats, 92.80% load factor

Anybody have the number of passengers, number of seats and load factors for AA flights out of ELP for Jun, Jul or Aug. I am curious to how the CLT flight is doing

Miners2007
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:28 pm

frontierflyer wrote:

It looks like they are using B2 for departures and arrivals? Do you see ELP expanding concourse A to give AA more room to accommodate what they have now and future growth. Second CLT flight, MIA or JFK flight. Move AS the AS flight to depart out A gates

Polot

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:30 pm

a318 wrote:

WN does not fly anywhere east of Texas from ELP, including any of their eastern “hubs” (MDW, BWI, etc). They will not be starting ISP in the near future. There are far more eastern destinations they would launch first.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos