Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

The future of Air Algerie

Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:34 am

Just having read Air Algerie is close to- joining Sky Team i wondered what does thei future look like? If they indeed joined ST.....maybe JFK? What do you people think?

Thanks! God bless!

Blerg

Re: The future of Air Algerie

Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:41 am

If they are planning on joining ST then it could be to allow for even greater synergy with Air France.

Toinou

Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:38 am

For their own sake, I hope nothing goes further of the idea of having a hub in Tamanrasset that was floated about a year ago. (https://www.majalat.org/news/algeria-to ... amanrasset)

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:34 pm

Thanks guys!

usdcaguy

Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:10 am

We won’t see AH flying into JFK. They’ve even dropped Montreal. AH likely would benefit by staying out of an alliance, but I suppose they need the prestige boost.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:12 am

YUL is bookable as of January 1, 2022. 3x weekly service.

Last flight to YUL was January 9 of this year, so if they resume as planned, it would have been close to a year without service.

Someone83

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:55 am

Blerg wrote:
If they are planning on joining ST then it could be to allow for even greater synergy with Air France.

They don't need to join an alliance to do that

BangersAndMash

Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:45 am

Their business model seems to revolve around imitating AT (connecting Africa, particularly French-speaking West and Central Africa, to Europe and North America), 2 or 3 years behind. They have an inferior network and schedule, weaker partnerships, and now AT is in an alliance.

The problem I see with that strategy is that ST is not OW. Africa is already well covered by AF and KL (a lot better than BA and IB do in OW). And the geography of ALG is not compelling compared to CDG or AMS (in a way that CMN complements QR at DOH). Can't see what AH would bring, apart from being the cheaper option. More competition than synergies IMO.

A330Inter

Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:55 am

There was mention of plans to launch a low-cost subsidary to better compete on the European market.
I don't think they would have real benefits from joining SkyTeam or any other alliance, their main market is France and a simple improved bilateral codeshare on this market would be enough.
They have a serious need of upgrading their Economy product. Maintaining Business class is not a bad idea considering they are the only one offering this service and it is required for some governmental officials' travel.
They will re-instate Montreal as soon as the travel restrictions allow for it, If they do indeed join SkyTeam, a codeshare with SV could make a route like JED work year-round and not just operate as charter. I'm sure they would love to have JFK on the map but have a feeling this is not required at all, there's an estimated 150k Algerian community in Canada compared with 30k only in the US, let them fly via CDG with AF, no need for a long and costly flight

cedarjet

Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:16 am

Surprisingly wide scope of routes pre Covid — Europe, Africa, Montreal and Beijing makes four continents. That said, no connectivity, I tried to fly them to Beijing and even went to their ticket office in London and was told the schedule required a nightstop and transit passengers needed a visa. Also my understanding is that Algeria isn’t particularly safe for westerners. Unless things have changed radically, this is no Morocco and no RAM. Air Algérie is a government/military outfit intended to provide O&D for the nation, not bring in tourism, not cater to transit passengers, and probably not make a profit (or at least profitability isn’t its main raison d’être).

chunhimlai

Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:07 pm

Compared KQ and AZ, AH is better to intercontinental flight to Africa,

a332 would be replaced by b789 and for long haul flight and the a332 could be converted to cargo freighter
B737 could be replaced by a320 and a220
it could buy 20-30 a321xl for flight to India, South Africa countries and US east coast
also it should buy 20-30 a220 to Europe and Africa airport

The new airliner fleet could consist:
10-15 B789
20-30 A321
20-30 A220
15 ATR
8 A332F

Total 73-93 planes

BTW ALG needs to further expand for the growth of AH

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos