Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

x1234
Topic Author

Aeroflot market-share and budget Europe-Asia traffic

Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:32 pm

Does anyone here know the market-share of Aeroflot on Europe-Asia versus the ME3 and EU3? Aeroflot flies to every major city aside from Ukraine in Europe and the majority of cities in Asia. Pre-COVID they had plans to expand their network in Asia to Osaka KIX, Mumbai BOM and Singapore SIN. With them retrofitting their B77W to 1-2-1 and new A359 being delivered with 1-2-1 J they have a great product!

slcdeltarumd11

Re: Aeroflot market-share and budget Europe-Asia traffic

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:04 am

They have a great product but im not sure they can compete with the ME3 costs.

Any data like this is pointless until covid is over. We will see a whole new world when this emerges. Numbers and demand are just pitifully low still for everyone on international long haul

PatrickZ80

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:21 am

While Aeroflot might offer a great product, they're usually not the cheapest which is the first thing customers look at. If the price isn't right it doesn't matter how good they are, and other airlines are able to offer a better price for a similar product.

For budget passengers first and business class are irrelevant anyway, they fly in economy. You might have a great business class but if your economy class sucks you still fail.

EightyFour

Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:17 am

Anecdotal, but when I was living in Asia, SU was very popular with my fellow European expats for flights back home, much more so than ME3, this was about 2011-2018. They were often cheapest back then. I always avoided them though, as I didn't find the product particularly good, and because SVO is just a nightmare of an airport.

TUGMASTER

Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:36 am

Have transited SVO several times, always found it very easy, including the private airside transfers over to Terminal C.
Unsure why you find it a nightmare.

MareBorealis

Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:39 am

In the normal times, SU could be a natural choice for the zillions of northern Europeans travelling to SE Asia. But it's not, it's rather invisible up there. For one thing, it has an image problem that doesn't disappear easily.
Last edited by MareBorealis on Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

seansasLCY

Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:39 am

I took Aeroflot a couple of times between Europe and Asia in the 2000s. The transit was horrible. I’m sure SVO is much improved but it was basically a hall with no facilities back then.

JFK2SGN

Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:01 am

I imagine it cannot be that high relatively speaking as SU flies to around 15 destinations in S/SE/E Asia. TK to around 25, EK & EY over 30 and QR over 40. I've lived in SE Asia for 8 years and at times years ago they were known for the cheapest fares to Europe, but mostly carrying Russian tourists and hardly as big as the ME4.

eta unknown

Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:13 am

Agree with above- plus often their transit times aren't convenient and they have lower frequencies. Honestly, their pax numbers are probably insignificant compared to ME3/EU3.

seb76

Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:14 am

I used them between BRU and HAN.
Their planes and the SVO airport are nothing fancy (but not a worse experience than passing trough FRA for example, if you fly in economy).
In eco, it is by my metrics a much better alternative than using the ME3 companies. It's faster due (less track miles thanks to the very direct route) and the stop in SVO is rather short, you are not kept hostage for too many hours in a giant shopping mall in the desert if that's not your cup of tea.
It also tends to be a bit cheaper than ME3 companies

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos