Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MIflyer12
Topic Author

U.S. to lift restriction on intl arrivals in Nov

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:44 pm

The Biden administration will lift travel restrictions starting in November on those from abroad who are fully vaccinated against the coronavirus, ending a travel ban implemented to limit the spread of disease and reopening the United States to relatives who have been separated from families and employees from businesses.

Fully vaccinated travelers will also need to show proof of a negative test for the coronavirus within three days before coming to the United States

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/20/us/p ... l-ban.html

That will allow carriers to test the pent-up demand theory.

tootallsd

Re: U.S. to lift restriction on intl arrivals in Nov

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:46 pm

Hopefully the corollary will also be implemented that fully vaccinated US citizens can return without PCR testing.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:02 pm

tootallsd wrote:
Hopefully the corollary will also be implemented that fully vaccinated US citizens can return without PCR testing.

Exactly.
As long as vaccinated pax are forced to get an (expensive) PCR or Antigen test, it is disingenuous to talk about "lifting restrictions":

ContinentalEWR

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:06 pm

It's about time the US revised its policy, at the very least, with respect to the EU. Unclear if PCR or antigen tests should be required for US citizens returning home, administered within 3 days of departure but it would seem logical that at some point, at least for lesser to non-high risk countries, this requirement should be removed.

joeblow10

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:08 pm

tootallsd wrote:

Absolutely correct. I refuse to travel internationally right now… first off it is a pain finding a test in another country, especially one insurance would even consider covering. Then if I get stuck in an expensive hotel for 10-14 days because I somehow test positive… all not worth the risk.

avi8

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:09 pm

Antigen tests are really cheap compared to PCR tests and the increased demand for their need to travel might also increase the competition and make them cheaper and easier to get. The fact that almost anyone can travel now is great news for airlines. The decreased domestic revenue can now be partially compensated with long-haul traffic, even if it's not at 2019 levels.

This is nothing but good news for airlines and those wishing to see family, friends or just to leave the country in general.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:13 pm

avi8 wrote:
This is nothing but good news for airlines and those wishing to see family, friends or just to leave the country in general.

I doubt that this will significantly see an increase in TATL travel. Europeans can visit plenty of other countries with their EU Green Pass and without testing.
Going through the hassle of getting ESTA approval AND getting tested will deter many. Phonily "lifting restrictions" or not.

ua900

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:27 pm

tootallsd wrote:

Fwiw, the cheaper Antigen tests are accepted as well and I've done those. But yeah, it's an extra hurdle at some point given that most outbound destinations will also require vaccinations and/or tests. It seems sensible at some point to give credit to those of us who chose to vaccinate by no longer requiring tests for vaccinated people. Perhaps an additional incentive for people to get vaccinated too since the extra cost of testing would go away, plus reciprocity considerations. A number of EU and Latin American countries for example on longer require a test for fully vaccinated people, yet we continue to require that. A unified set of rules would be advantageous in restoring seamless global air travel.

joeblow10 wrote:
tootallsd wrote:

Absolutely correct. I refuse to travel internationally right now… first off it is a pain finding a test in another country, especially one insurance would even consider covering. Then if I get stuck in an expensive hotel for 10-14 days because I somehow test positive… all not worth the risk.

I've done testing stateside to get around that. Granted, it limits your radius, but you can always do weekends in CUN, PTY or beyond. There's even a benefit for longer trips, whereas if you don't end up liking the conditions on the ground after you arrive, you can always turn around after 1-2 days of your arrival without any risk.

tys777

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:29 pm

Proactive reminder to keep politics out of this thread. There is a thread in non aviation if you want to go discuss the politics of vaccines etc...

AAIL86

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:32 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
tootallsd wrote:

Exactly.
As long as vaccinated pax are forced to get an (expensive) PCR or Antigen test, it is disingenuous to talk about "lifting restrictions":

Great news! But the testing requirement still makes sense. An antigen test is what, $20-$25 and you can self test? I did it returning from Spain two weeks ago. There is still a global pandemic on...

gabrielchew

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:38 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
avi8 wrote:

I doubt that this will significantly see an increase in TATL travel. Europeans can visit plenty of other countries with their EU Green Pass and without testing.
Going through the hassle of getting ESTA approval AND getting tested will deter many. Phonily "lifting restrictions" or not.

This will have a massive effect. Up til now, unless you're a US citizen, you haven't been able to travel to the USA from Europe. People desperate to see friends and family and do business in the USA have had to spend 2 weeks waiting in Mexico/Carribbean in order to get in, which obivously isn't particularly convenient.

Being able to get a PCR test (takes a few minutes, wait a few hours) then fly direct to the USA is MUCH better than having to spend 2 WEEKS waiting in a 3rd country to enter.

Maybe it's of little benefit to US citizens, but makes a BIG difference for everyone else.

dmstorm22

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:39 pm

AAIL86 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
tootallsd wrote:

Exactly.

Great news! But the testing requirement still makes sense. An antigen test is what, $20-$25 and you can self test? I did it returning from Spain two weeks ago. There is still a global pandemic on...

Having just come back from Spain I agree.

It is fair to say there is still a risk for US travelers getting stuck for unkown periods on their own dime if they test positive - but yeah it's a global pandemic, there's a risk in traveling.

airbazar

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:42 pm

Thank you jesus!!! We can have Xmas.
A lot of people forget that the majority of immigrants in this country are NOT permanent residents and therefore have been separated from their families since the beginning of the Pandemic because they would not be able to return to their jobs if they left the country.

AAIL86 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
tootallsd wrote:

Exactly.

Prices vary wildly. In some countries including the UK is no less than $100. In other countries it's free, like here in the U.S.
The PCR test requirement is more important than the vaccine so I don't see that going away any time soon. You can be vaccinated and still carry the virus and spread it to other people. There's some level of comfort in knowing that the stranger sitting next to you on a plane tested negative 3 days earlier. At least for me that's a heck of a lot more comforting than knowing that he or she has been fully vaccinated.

AAIL86

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:45 pm

airbazar wrote:
Thank you jesus!!! We can have Xmas.
A lot of people forget that the majority of immigrants in this country are NOT permanent residents and therefore have been separated from their families since the beginning of the Pandemic because they would not be able to return to their jobs if they left the country.

AAIL86 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Exactly.

Prices vary wildly. In some countries including the UK is no less than $100. In other countries it's free, like here in the U.S.
The PCR test requirement is more important than the vaccine so I don't see that going away any time soon. You can be vaccinated and still carry the virus and spread it to other people.

You can get a PCR OR an antigen test to enter the US.

LondonXtreme

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:55 pm

As long as the US government still requires the PCR test for all passengers entering the US including US passport holder. I won't see a surge of international travel demand. Many American refrain travel internationally now due to the uncertainty of finding the testing site and it's costly.

I can predict that once the gov remove the testing requirement for vaccinated traveller travelling to the US. There must be a significant increase of people travelling internationally, especially between the US and UK/EU.

peterinlisbon

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:56 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
tootallsd wrote:

Exactly.

At least in the US it's just one test. In the UK they require multiple ripoff tests to be taken before and after arrival.

jayunited

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:58 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
tootallsd wrote:

Exactly.

An expensive PCR or Antigen test??

Walmart is selling the FDA approved Abbots BinaxNow Antigen test for $14.00 for each box and 2 test come in the box. With BinaxNow you buy the test follow the direction and log on to the website a doctor oversees you taking the test, it takes about 15 minutes for the results to come back and the doctor emails you your results in 3-5 minutes after the test results come back. In total it only take 20 minutes for the entire test and all you need is a device you can use to connect to the internet, there is no need to run around in a foreign country looking for a place to take a COVID test.

I have 3 boxes BinaxNow COVID test in my suitcase for my husband and I. Once that test became acceptable for entry back into the US I went out and purchase 3 boxes from Walmart. For our up coming international trip in October before we leave the US we will go to Walgreens or CVS for a PCR test but to come home we have our BinaxNow test already in the suitcase ready to go.

Anyone who thinks the negative test requirement is going away any time soon may need to accept the possibility of not traveling internationally until 2023 or later. Until they declare an end to this pandemic I don't see the negative test requirement being dropped.

MIflyer12
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:17 pm

jayunited wrote:
Anyone who thinks the negative test requirement is going away any time soon may need to accept the possibility of not traveling internationally until 2023 or later. Until they declare an end to this pandemic I don't see the negative test requirement being dropped.

That conflicts with a popular sentiment that every restriction is an unreasonable one.

If an ESTA and $15 test is too much of a burden, too bad. Visiting is a privilege that comes with responsibilities, not a right.

jayunited

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:41 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
jayunited wrote:

That conflicts with a popular sentiment that every restriction is an unreasonable one.

If an ESTA and $15 test is too much of a burden, too bad. Visiting is a privilege that comes with responsibilities, not a right.

Exactly....

I don't understand why people still believe or are waiting around for someone to flip the proverbial light switch and everything goes back to how it was pre-COVID.

For those who are unprepared for an international trip then yes getting a COVID test will not only be expensive but also a hassle but those who are prepared pack your $14.00 BinaxNow COVID test in your suitcase and keep it moving. For those who don't want to do that then your are absolutely right TOO BAD for them.

alfa164

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:46 pm

joeblow10 wrote:

I think you just pointed out why those tests are not going away: the chance that you might bring another case of Covid back into the USA - and potentially infect a plane-load (or, more reasonable, a number of passengers around you) with the disease.

You only "get stuck" if you test positive... so do you really think someone testing positive should be allowed to travel back? I am not sure your fellow passengers would think so.

:roll:

jayunited wrote:

:checkmark: Exactly! We are all selfish enough to think we shouldn't have to take the test... but we darn sure want the stranger sitting next to you to have taken it!

MIflyer12 wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

joeblow10

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:13 pm

alfa164 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

I think you just pointed out why those tests are not going away: the chance that you might bring another case of Covid back into the USA - and potentially infect a plane-load (or, more reasonable, a number of passengers around you) with the disease.

You only "get stuck" if you test positive... so do you really think someone testing positive should be allowed to travel back? I am not sure your fellow passengers would think so.

:roll:

jayunited wrote:

:checkmark: Exactly! We are all selfish enough to think we shouldn't have to take the test... but we darn sure want the stranger sitting next to you to have taken it!

MIflyer12 wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

All due respect - do you plan to do this for the rest of our lives? I mean seriously - this industry will never recover to the level it was if we plan on making that a requirement until the end of time… and that’s not going to help those of us working in it

I understand why we do it, but this virus is never going away. This isn’t a political post - either you are vaccinated (and are protected), or you’re not, and there is a 99+% chance that is your own fault/doing. If I am vaccinated, we’re all wearing masks, and I happen to be seated next to another traveler who is vaccinated and somehow has it… I’m not sure I really care. At a certain point… the world is going to have to open up. Masks on planes forever? Fine 2023? Fine. But if these testing policies exist in 2030, intl. is never going to be what is once was

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:27 pm

People in this thread defending tests to re-enter the country should look at 1) Europe, where many countries do not require tests for entry as long as you are fully vaccinated, and 2) the California border where tourists can simply walk across from Tijuana to San Diego without a test or proof of vaccination.
The FACT of it all is that this is not about having a Pandemic, but about political health theater.

readytotaxi

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:37 am

BA will be dusting off the A380's

eta unknown

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:40 am

While I'm happy that progress is being made, I wont be travelling even though I desperately want to return to NYC for vacation. I'm fully vaccinated, but I also need an antigen test 3 days before flying to NYC and another one 3 days before returning. There's too much financial risk if I return a positive result and can't get home, so I'll spend my money closer to home.

PlymSpotter

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:00 am

Has an actual date been announced yet? Everything I have seen is pretty vague - 'from November' - does that mean the 1st, or some time later during the month.

I have a trip booked for the 3rd November, which I'd written off. But I'm interested as now this means that I may actually go after all.

Oykie

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:54 pm

I’m very curious if airlines will ramp up frequency before Christmas and if we can expect huge sales campaigns to get traffic flowing again or if they will just sell out already existing seats. There are many idle planes ready to fly across the Atlantic of airlines believe they can earn some money, or lose less flying than being idle.

Personally I’m very happy about this news and hopefully it will reduce restrictions of international travel to more countries.

lugie

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:10 pm

Exciting news and long overdue!

As for the testing requirement, yes it sucks, but given the US accepts antigen tests too it's really not that bad.
At least in my home country Germany you can currently still get those for free at testing sites, and even if the free testing policy were to be abolished, prices have lowered dramatically to as low as 2€ for self-testing sets (not sure if they're FDA/CDC approved) or about 10-15€ out of pocket payment at official test sites.
That's less than the ESTA fee and it shouldn't be making or breaking people's travel plans if there really is any kind of pent-up demand for vacation, business, or VFR.

That said, I do agree that eventually those will need to go away (at least among the vaccinated) - sooner or later the virus will become endemic and within the vaccinated population it really is (and it pains me to use this pandemic denier phrase) "no different from a common flu": Some may get very sick, some very unlucky people may even die, but a vaccinated population will never overwhelm hospitals or rack up mass casualties of the likes that were seen over the last year among a still-unvaccinated population.

Some Western European countries (Portugal, Spain, Denmark) are already seeing the effects of high rates of fully vaccinated citizens (>75% double dosis in Spain, >80% in Portugal and Denmark) where restrictions are continuously being loosened and abolished while, seemingly in parallel, new infections and hospitalizations are plummeting.

For places like those I would consider it adequate to start phasing out testing requirements if the trends hold up into fall (especially if you're the US where some states have full-vaccination rates of less than 50%).

readytotaxi

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:33 pm

Seems that those who have had the AstraZeneca vaccine might not get in.

"A White House source told the BBC that the question of whether people who have had the AstraZeneca vaccine or 12- to 18-year-olds who have only had one jab would be allowed in under the new rules was a level of "granular detail" that was still being worked out, though this would affect millions."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58628491

MartijnNL

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:56 pm

I prefer to travel to countries that don't require testing. So I spend my money there and still not in the United States. All worldwide travel restrictions need to be lifted completely. They have done almost nothing in containing the spread of the corona virus.

eta unknown

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:02 am

I'm not 100% certain, but not all EU countries will accept the cheap do it yourself tests for when you fly back.

Oykie

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:14 pm

Lufthansa has launched a sale to the U.S. from November, but the prices for Christmas have already increased since the announcement.