Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

asuflyer
Topic Author

CM adding PTY-ATL

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:28 pm

Copa is adding Atlanta from Panama City launching December 12th. The flight will operate 4 times weekly.

CM880 PTY0926 – 1337ATL 738 x145
CM881 ATL1605 – 2018PTY 738 x145

Flights are bookable and have been loaded in the GDS, and subject to government approval.

nickpo

Re: CM adding PTY-ATL

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:44 pm

I was never expecting to read this announcement. COVID is doing things.

Is Delta ready to read this?

LAXdude1023

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:01 pm

Seems like a logical add.

Frostbite

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:04 pm

Well I sure didn't see that one coming. Good news for ATL-based bargain hunters for the time being, but it remains to be seen if CM has any staying power in ATL.

DL has served Panama City from ATL without direct competition for over 20 years. I'm sure this will rouse ATL's 800 pound gorilla from its slumbers, all the more because
CM's large hub operation could siphon traffic off other parts of DL's network to South America.

Wouldn't surprise me if DL adds a second frequency to match CM's schedule. DL currently flies the opposite, with a mid-day turnaround at PTY.

REDHL

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:09 pm

It's not surprising at certain point. Is more like a response to Delta's launching of the JFK-PTY-JFK route, which starts a week later (December 19).

But still, the more competition there is, more choices for the user...

MIflyer12

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:35 pm

Frostbite wrote:
Well I sure didn't see that one coming. Good news for ATL-based bargain hunters for the time being, but it remains to be seen if CM has any staying power in ATL.

DL has served Panama City from ATL without direct competition for over 20 years. I'm sure this will rouse ATL's 800 pound gorilla from its slumbers, all the more because
CM's large hub operation could siphon traffic off other parts of DL's network to South America.

CM will be competing for ATL O&D which, while meaningful, is nothing like MIA or NYC to Copa's markets. They be competing with 1-stops against DL non-stops to many markets. They'll get zero traction with Atlanta corporate accounts. They'll need some luck.

Brickell305

Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:01 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Frostbite wrote:

CM will be competing for ATL O&D which, while meaningful, is nothing like MIA or NYC to Copa's markets. They be competing with 1-stops against DL non-stops to many markets. They'll get zero traction with Atlanta corporate accounts. They'll need some luck.

I don’t think they necessarily need the ATL corporate account market. I’m fairly certain they don’t benefit much from captive corporate account travel much anywhere in the US outside of UA hubs. I’m including MIA there as the overwhelming bulk of the corporate traffic originating there is extremely loyal to AA. CM will likely focus on VFR and whatever leisure travel there may be originating on the Central and South American end and will take whatever additional traffic they can siphon on top of that.

Boeing757100

Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:16 pm

Wow, since when was the last time ATL got a new airline?! Back when TK and QR came in 2016?

hpff

Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:29 pm

What were the pre-COVID overlaps between CM and DL South/Central American destinations? It seems like there's a lot of places CM can take you from ATL DL can't currently (at least directly), but that's likely an effect of the pandemic. Not saying say SLA-ATL or CIX-ATL has any sort of O&D, but it also doesn't seem like a route that will necessarily compete too much with DL in our current world.

MAH4546

Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:29 pm

It's a decent enough a local market that Copa should be fine. Nothing huge but it's not tiny. There's traffic to Colombia, Brazil, etc. they'll find it.

New Orleans is done though, not coming back.

jetblastdubai

Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 pm

Frostbite wrote:

DL has served Panama City from ATL without direct competition for over 20 years.

Not any more. CM just found a chink the in monopoly armor that DL enjoys so much in ATL.

phatfarmlines

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:03 am

MIflyer12 wrote:

:checkmark: Assuming post-COVID demand, I imagine CM should have no problems with ATL-Brazil connections.

2travel2know2

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:08 am

CM has worked quite well code-share with Sky Team KL and AF so it could be quite odd as of why CM and DL never agreed (or negotiated?) code-share.
Also, seems that DL current schedule (ATL-PTY mornings, PTY-ATL afternoon) isn't as attractive to PTY passengers as the earlier ATL-PTY evening and PTY-ATL (early) morning rotation. DL probably had its reasons to change its times.
IMHO, if CM can make PTY-ATL work, chances for a potential PTY-DFW may be quite high.
MAH4546 wrote:
It's a decent enough a local market that Copa should be fine. Nothing huge but it's not tiny. There's traffic to Colombia, Brazil, etc. they'll find it.
Also Venezuelan immigration to Atlanta is on the rise
Sad about CM not going back to MSY.. CM isn't known as an airline to fly destinations depending on season.
But B737-800 is too much (year-around) capacity for PTY-MSY.

TWA772LR

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:33 am

MAH4546 wrote:

I'd say MSY is better served on AV to SAL or the likes of the Mexican LCCs with a Latin carrier.

tphuang

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:36 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Frostbite wrote:

What type of corporate accounts are flying us to pty? Seems like a battle of us to pty vs atl to latin America. Not sure which has more traffic.

CALMSP

Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:00 am

tphuang wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Frostbite wrote:

What type of corporate accounts are flying us to pty? Seems like a battle of us to pty vs atl to latin America. Not sure which has more traffic.

not a lot, but thats not what CM does, they go for traffic beyond PTY.

Brickell305

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:01 am

tphuang wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Frostbite wrote:

The corporate accounts that would be flying US to PTY would be American companies that have operations in Panama, like banks. However, most of those kinds of companies have their Latam headquarters in South Florida so Delta would be seeing very little, if any of that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos