Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sixfootscream
Topic Author

Low-Cost Carrier and Cargo

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:57 am

Hello everyone,

I been wondering. Do following airlines carry cargo?

EW
FR
B6
U2
WN
RV
TS
WS
HV

Any low cost carrier really.

An y answer would be appreciated.

Someone83

Re: Low-Cost Carrier and Cargo

Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:06 am

Norwegian does

CanadianNorth

Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:50 am

Westjet does, pretty sure Air Transat does, don't know about Rouge but I can't see why they wouldn't take some Air Canada cargo with them if they had room for it.

TexasAirCorp

Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:39 am

Lufthansa Cargo sometimes uses belly space on Eurowings flights

jplatts

Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:13 am

sixfootscream wrote:

WN

WN does carry air cargo, and WN's Cargo website can be found at https://www.swacargo.com/.

RyanairGuru

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:43 pm

Not on the OP's list, but Jetstar does. Reservations and handling is carried out by Qantas Freight. Qantas moves quite a lot of cargo on Jetstar, as the JQ A320s and A321s are containerized whereas the mainline 737s are (obviously) bulk loaded.

Avgeek21

Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:24 pm

flydubai does. Including DG and live animals.

BrianDromey

Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:58 pm

easyJet and Ryanair do not. With one exception, FR accept human remains on STN-NOC.

danirich26

Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:06 pm

ABY does

FARmd90

Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:09 pm

B6 started carrying cargo

classicjets

Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:19 pm

Air Asia X (Malaysia and Thailand) and Cebu Pacific both do, including belly cargo only and cabin load cargo flights, presently.

Newark727

Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:21 pm

Wasn't WestJet going to add some dedicated freighters? Or was that just a weird dream I had?

SWADawg

Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:27 pm

WN’s cargo division is massive. One of the largest Domestic and now near International cargo Airlines in the US.

TexasAirCorp

Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:33 pm

Newark727 wrote:
Wasn't WestJet going to add some dedicated freighters? Or was that just a weird dream I had?

Yep. https://skiesmag.com/news/westjet-cargo ... reighters/

More like a weird dream Ed Sims had

floridaflyboy

Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:43 pm

F9 had an impressive cargo program (for their size) prior to transitioning to a ULCC. I believe they stopped hauling cargo in the 2013/2014 timeframe. I remember one time in IND watching them offload boxes with Target logos on them for what felt like forever.

UADiesel10

Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:51 pm

Southwest has a number of videos on YouTube about their cargo ops. I recall at least one following a seafood shipment and one about shipping hops for brewing beer.

PatrickZ80

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:31 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
easyJet and Ryanair do not. With one exception, FR accept human remains on STN-NOC.

Wizzair doesn't haul cargo for the same reasons.

Those reasons are that loading and unloading cargo takes time, which eats into the short turnaround times those airlines have. Ryanair manages 25 minutes turnaround times on their 737s, which is impressive but it wouldn't be possible with cargo. Thanks to those short turnaround times they're able to squeeze in an additional flight each day per aircraft, which makes them more than the cargo revenue.

Also hauling cargo makes the aircraft heavier and thus increases the fuel burn. In order to keep the fuel burn down they chose to scrap the cargo.

Many of the airports served by these airlines are secondary airports that don't have cargo facilities, besides there is little to no demand for cargo on the routes which they fly. Why go through all the hustle to get some cargo when there's hardly any revenue? Like I said, an additional flight a day makes more revenue than hauling cargo.

Elgorou

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:37 pm

JetSmart and Sky Airline does in South America

PatrickZ80

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:41 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:

The same goes for Transavia which is sometimes being used for KLM Cargo. They don't haul it on a regular basis but if it so happens to be Transavia is just an extension of KLM.

Of course this only goes for their operations out of Amsterdam since their secondary Dutch hubs Rotterdam and Eindhoven don't have cargo facilities. KLM Cargo does not use those airports, they only use Amsterdam.

As far as Transavia France is concerned, they might occasionally haul cargo on behalf of Air France however it won't be much. After all Transavia France is based in Paris Orly where Air France only has very little presence. The big hub for Air France and their cargo operations center is at Charles de Gaulle where Transavia does not fly, as for the secondary French hubs the same goes as for Rotterdam and Eindhoven.

winGl3t

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:31 pm

GOL transport a wide range of cargo on the belly on the 737 though its logistics branch GOLLOG: https://www.gollog.com.br/en#

oldJoe

Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:11 pm

Indigo also does cargo
https://www.aircargonews.net/freighters-world/indian-carrier-indigo-plans-to-add-freighters/

IndiGo was already the largest carrier of cargo in domestic India before Covid-19, and we expect the market to continue to grow after the pandemic

They even will add four A321P2F

sixfootscream
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:40 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Not on the OP's list, but Jetstar does. Reservations and handling is carried out by Qantas Freight. Qantas moves quite a lot of cargo on Jetstar, as the JQ A320s and A321s are containerized whereas the mainline 737s are (obviously) bulk loaded.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think of Jetstar. But my question includes all low-cost carriers. Your answer is much appreciated.

sixfootscream
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:41 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:

The same goes for Transavia which is sometimes being used for KLM Cargo. They don't haul it on a regular basis but if it so happens to be Transavia is just an extension of KLM.

Of course this only goes for their operations out of Amsterdam since their secondary Dutch hubs Rotterdam and Eindhoven don't have cargo facilities. KLM Cargo does not use those airports, they only use Amsterdam.

As far as Transavia France is concerned, they might occasionally haul cargo on behalf of Air France however it won't be much. After all Transavia France is based in Paris Orly where Air France only has very little presence. The big hub for Air France and their cargo operations center is at Charles de Gaulle where Transavia does not fly, as for the secondary French hubs the same goes as for Rotterdam and Eindhoven.

Rotterdam does not have cargo facilities? So generally no cargo into Rotterdam?

sixfootscream
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:43 am

classicjets wrote:
Air Asia X (Malaysia and Thailand) and Cebu Pacific both do, including belly cargo only and cabin load cargo flights, presently.

Thanks for your answer.

I am aware that Cebu Pacific carries cargo as I used to supervise their flight in DXB.

sixfootscream
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:45 am

oldJoe wrote:
Indigo also does cargo
https://www.aircargonews.net/freighters-world/indian-carrier-indigo-plans-to-add-freighters/

IndiGo was already the largest carrier of cargo in domestic India before Covid-19, and we expect the market to continue to grow after the pandemic

They even will add four A321P2F

I used to supervise 6E flights back in DXB. 6E carries tons of cargo out of India into DXB. Up to 4T. 1h turn-around. Was always a challenge.

sixfootscream
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:47 am

floridaflyboy wrote:
F9 had an impressive cargo program (for their size) prior to transitioning to a ULCC. I believe they stopped hauling cargo in the 2013/2014 timeframe. I remember one time in IND watching them offload boxes with Target logos on them for what felt like forever.

Do Essential Air Service carry cargo into small airports?

jplatts

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:28 pm

In Japan, GK does carry air cargo on behalf of JL and MM does carry air cargo on behalf of NH, and there is an article mentioning the air cargo operations of GK and MM at https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... bu/019000c.

CALMSP

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 pm

sixfootscream wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:

Rotterdam does not have cargo facilities? So generally no cargo into Rotterdam?

there is cargo that moves to the likes of RTM and EIN but its moving via RFS from the main gateways like AMS/BRU/FRA, etc. And then it'll typically go directly to the customer or to the truckers warehouse.

Aresxerexade

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:58 pm

sixfootscream wrote:
Hello everyone,

EW
FR
B6
U2
WN
RV
TS
WS
HV

Any low cost carrier really.

An y answer would be appreciated.

WS is a full service carrier now. Transitioned quite some time ago .

DaCubbyBearBar

Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:41 pm

SWADawg wrote:
WN’s cargo division is massive. One of the largest Domestic and now near International cargo Airlines in the US.

I figured that SWA had to have a HUGE freight operation…. But here is 2nd Quarter 2021 cargo results for US airlines…
UA-$606M AA-$326M DL-$251M AS-$57M WN-$50M. Interesting numbers. B6 only does cargo to 14 cities so their numbers can’t compare.

FlapOperator

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:59 pm

sixfootscream wrote:

Do Essential Air Service carry cargo into small airports?

Usually no.

The feeder networks of UPS and FDX are pretty strong into lots of the rural communities that created a good EAS proposal and received funding.

Often, in my experience its the opposite...a place like Thief River Falls, MN (KTVF) has a strong manufacturing base or a Dodge City KS (KDDC) has an important agri-business base, but the level of travel really doesn't justify what the actual economics of the area produces, so EAS can step into bridge that gap.

However, TVF has three or four cargo aircraft on the ramp all the time to support the companies like DigiKey in the area.

However, from a legal standpoint, lots of passenger companies can carry non Dangerous Goods cargo.

FlapOperator

Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:00 pm

Spirit Airlines does not. The COO hates it and thinks the value stream doesn't outmatch the ability to quick turn an aircraft, and when you only have once or twice daily service into a city pair, the delays inflicted by late freight can ripple system wide.

CMA727

Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:15 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:

Wizzair doesn't haul cargo for the same reasons.

Those reasons are that loading and unloading cargo takes time, which eats into the short turnaround times those airlines have. Ryanair manages 25 minutes turnaround times on their 737s, which is impressive but it wouldn't be possible with cargo. Thanks to those short turnaround times they're able to squeeze in an additional flight each day per aircraft, which makes them more than the cargo revenue.

Also hauling cargo makes the aircraft heavier and thus increases the fuel burn. In order to keep the fuel burn down they chose to scrap the cargo.

Many of the airports served by these airlines are secondary airports that don't have cargo facilities, besides there is little to no demand for cargo on the routes which they fly. Why go through all the hustle to get some cargo when there's hardly any revenue? Like I said, an additional flight a day makes more revenue than hauling cargo.

ULCC and LCC carriers love to use their "cargo space capacity" on additional and very lucrative excess bags from its passengers. At least in Mexico for the reasons explained above ULCC and LCC other than Volaris had a tendency to avoid the cargo market.

TC957

Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:16 pm

Interesting topic which got me thinking - why does easyJet not make their planes available for ad hoc cargo work ? I mean, we see BA & VS do cargo only runs to Europe.
OK, I know easyJet A321's won't take the belly cargo volume of a widebody, but even so, I would have thought some useful extra work could have been sought given the Europe-wide truck driver shortages.

ro1960

Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:54 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Transavia France is based in Paris Orly where Air France only has very little presence. The big hub for Air France and their cargo operations center is at Charles de Gaulle

I’m not sure if you mean “very little presence” in terms of cargo because I believe AF is the #1 airline by seat count at ORY followed by TO and VY.

While talking of VY, do they carry cargo on behalf of IB or BA?

TexasAirCorp

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:12 pm

ro1960 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Transavia France is based in Paris Orly where Air France only has very little presence. The big hub for Air France and their cargo operations center is at Charles de Gaulle

I’m not sure if you mean “very little presence” in terms of cargo because I believe AF is the #1 airline by seat count at ORY followed by TO and VY.

While talking of VY, do they carry cargo on behalf of IB or BA?

All IAG subsidiaries carry cargo on behalf of 'IAG Cargo'. The BA/IB cargo ops were merged into IAG Cargo a few years ago.

N757ST

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:21 am

B6 had a cargo program for years, then dropped it; then started it back up.

The problem with ULCCs and cargo is MZFW. If you’re cramming that many people into a jet, there isn’t much if any weight available for cargo.

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:32 am

sixfootscream wrote:
WN

WN has a significant cargo operation, and in the early '00s were the largest air transporter of US mail of any carrier.

No idea if that statistic is still the case in today's market, but yeah, they're no stranger to major cargo ops.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos