Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

konkret
Topic Author

Oman Air intends to apply for Oneworld membership

Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:48 pm

Oman Air intends to apply for Oneworld membership with the help of Qatar Airways:

https://thepeninsulaqatar.com/article/2 ... membership

timboflier215

Re: Oman Air intends to apply for Oneworld membership

Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:52 pm

Interesting, though with QR and RJ already in the alliance I'm not sure what Oman Air would bring in addition?

winter

Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:22 pm

timboflier215 wrote:
Interesting, though with QR and RJ already in the alliance I'm not sure what Oman Air would bring in addition?

It’s probably more Oman Air looking for additional feed and connectivity on the spokes of its network. Oman Air isn’t really going after the QR super connector model.

BangersAndMash

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:01 pm

I was about to say, seems a bit redundant. But eh, another quality airline to choose from. Who's complaining!

usflyer msp

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:25 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
I was about to say, seems a bit redundant. But eh, another quality airline to choose from. Who's complaining!

I've heard horrible stories about WY employees. They have a great hard product but their ground and inflight staff drag them down considerably.

BangersAndMash

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:57 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

I've heard horrible stories about WY employees. They have a great hard product but their ground and inflight staff drag them down considerably.

I'm surprised by that. Haven't flown them myself but I've heard overwhelmingly good things about the airline, on product and service. And MCT is a nice airport. I'd happily change planes there.

eta unknown

Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:16 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

I've flown them a few times and have never encountered anything similar to what you heard.

ClassicLover

Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:18 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Opposite to what I've heard too. Everyone who I know who has flown them, and some repeatedly, rave about their on board service and product.

cityshuttle

Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:25 pm

I read the article, that they want to become a full member ?

Or "just" a OneWorld connect member like Fiji Airways ?

ahj2000

Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:32 pm

Not super surprising since QR and WY are so close already. If WY wants that global touch after covid restrictions wane, joining ow seems the way to go.
IIRC, their second largest codeshare partner is MH too. OW makes sense. They could pick up a bit of feed at places like LHR, NRT, and DME. Only thing standing in their way is their LH codeshare/partnership, but not sure how that is holding up with covid and all. I don't see any member airlines objecting to this, at least, and there's no good reason why they shouldn't if they're willing to pay dues.

MEA-707

Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:52 pm

I flew them once in business class and they were pretty good, but less streamlined as the big guys like QR and EK. For me they are welcome, more opportunities. I hope EY will join an alliance too, Star has little in the mid east.

aa1818

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:50 pm

Hopefully this turns into oneworld (Connect) membership for Oman Air.
While many here dispute the relevance of alliances- on a personal note, I find myself preferring to fly on carriers that have a partnership with the AAdvantage program, which usually leads to me seeking out oneworld partners. I wouldn't inconvenience my travel greatly to stick to oneworld but I am usually prepared to add one connection or pay slightly more to remain 'loyal' which allows me to enjoy the perks of being AAdvantage Platinum.

Hopefully Oman Air is the first of a few to expand the alliance-

RwandAir which I believe has a direct QR investment in the airline and the country's Bugesera International Airport would be a great addition to expand intra-African connectivity.
Perhaps GOL in Brazil with AA's latest investment.
I wonder if China Southern would ever join?

Cheers,
AA1818

konkret
Topic Author

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:04 pm

cityshuttle wrote:
I read the article, that they want to become a full member ?

Or "just" a OneWorld connect member like Fiji Airways ?

I would say they will go for the full membership, nothing suggests otherwise.
They are many times bigger than Fiji Airways. They are bigger than Royal Jordanian.

ClassicLover

Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:16 pm

aa1818 wrote:
While many here dispute the relevance of alliances- on a personal note, I find myself preferring to fly on carriers that have a partnership with the AAdvantage program, which usually leads to me seeking out oneworld partners. I wouldn't inconvenience my travel greatly to stick to oneworld but I am usually prepared to add one connection or pay slightly more to remain 'loyal' which allows me to enjoy the perks of being AAdvantage Platinum.

And that is the reason alliances are staying. Quite a lot of people who have a frequent flyer card only have one and will stick to their alliance like glue to maximise their benefits. People only say alliances are dead because there have been more joint ventures lately and hardly any airlines joining alliances. The fact that a) alliances don't need to constantly grow to be relevant and b) that most airlines are in alliances seems to escape most people.

Hope Oman Air do join, I'd love to try them!

gardermoen

Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:26 am

Tbh I am surprised Star Alliance never courted WY, given they have a big gap in the Gulf region. I would have thought WY would have been a perfect choice for Star Alliance, its only other member in the region being Egypt Air. (and doesn't LH codeshare with WY?)
But either way, WY is a great addition to any alliance - great cabin service, good reputation, a new Muscat airport, and the prospect of a stop over in beautiful Oman. The natural charms Oman has to offer (friendly people, culture, scenery, beaches) trumps the fake glitz of Dubai anytime.

Armodeen

Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:12 am

Same. I've flown them a couple of times and connected in MCT and it was all fine, very pleasant experiance.

Not sure what they bring to OneWorld though tbh, but as someone else said, why not!

eta unknown wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

I've flown them a few times and have never encountered anything similar to what you heard.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos