Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DTWLAX
Topic Author

AA signs codeshare agreement with Indian LCC Indigo Airlines

Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:35 am

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2 ... fault.aspx

This is interesting. Wonder how AA business class passengers will feel going from 12-14 hours a lie flat seat to a cramped Y seat.
Also, how many of the 29 Indigo routes mentioned cannot be reached one-stop from JFK or SEA? We know EK/QR fly to multiple Indian cities, not all the ones listed though.
While this may work for AA in the current situation, what happens when the flight restrictions are lifted by India and other non-Indian carriers are allowed to carry connecting passengers?
Last edited by DTWLAX on Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbs2886

Re: AA signs codeshare agreement with Indian LCC Indigo Airlines

Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:42 am

It’s also investing and code-sharing with JetSMART of Chile. AA doesn’t appear to be concerned with partnering with LCCs.

winGl3t

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:08 am

DTWLAX wrote:
This is interesting. Wonder how AA business class passengers will feel going from 12-14 hours a lie flat seat to a cramped Y seat.

Very similar experience when AA used to connect to LATAM in SCL, GRU or LIM. And really, not very different tha EuroBusiness experience…

jplatts

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:09 am

AA partnering with ZE, 7C, or TW in South Korea might be possibilities with the partnerships that AA is entering into with JA, G3, and 6E along with KE being in the SkyTeam alliance.

NOTE: I was referring to the South Korean airline T'way (who is currently assigned the TW IATA airline code), rather than TWA (whom the TW IATA airline code was originally assigned to until TWA ceased operations on December 1, 2001).

mercure1

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:29 am

jbs2886 wrote:
It’s also investing and code-sharing with JetSMART of Chile. AA doesn’t appear to be concerned with partnering with LCCs.

JetSmart deal has AA acquiring a financial stake in them, and also JetSmart starting to use the AAdvantage program as its own loyalty program.

Far deeper relationship than this vanilla codeshare with Indigo.

alfa164

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:31 am

jbs2886 wrote:

It seems AA is working hard to take its own service standards down to LCC levels anyway, rather than encouraging those budget airlines to raise theirs.

rbavfan

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:39 am

jbs2886 wrote:

AA coach seat tell us that!

jbs2886

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:15 am

mercure1 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

JetSmart deal has AA acquiring a financial stake in them, and also JetSmart starting to use the AAdvantage program as its own loyalty program.

Far deeper relationship than this vanilla codeshare with Indigo.

So? I commented on partnerships with LCCs not comparing the depth of those partnerships.

usflyer msp

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:19 am

We've gotten to the point where there is not much difference between LCC's and Legacy carriers on short/medium haul routes in Europe and the Americas. Asia is just a few steps behind but on its way there. I don't see the big deal.

alasizon

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:27 am

winGl3t wrote:
DTWLAX wrote:

Very similar experience when AA used to connect to LATAM in SCL, GRU or LIM. And really, not very different tha EuroBusiness experience…

Same thing is true in India. LCC carriers are the name of the game when it comes to domestic service.

stl07

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:50 am

usflyer msp wrote:
We've gotten to the point where there is not much difference between LCC's and Legacy carriers on short/medium haul routes in Europe and the Americas. Asia is just a few steps behind but on its way there. I don't see the big deal.

Exactly, not much difference in hard product between NK and the legacies anyways. Vistara and dare I say AI on this site are arguable the only premium full service carriers in India anyways, and Vistara is co-owned by Singapore airlines so that was the expectation anyways

Adipocere

Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:38 am

DTWLAX wrote:
https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2021/American-Airlines-and-IndiGo-Announce-Codeshare-Agreement-Providing-More-Options-and-Seamless-Connectivity-Across-India-NET-ALP-09/default.aspx

Also, how many of the 29 Indigo routes mentioned cannot be reached one-stop from JFK or SEA? We know EK/QR fly to multiple Indian cities, not all the ones listed though.
While this may work for AA in the current situation, what happens when the flight restrictions are lifted by India and other non-Indian carriers are allowed to carry connecting passengers?

It probably won’t be on routes where one could take a lie flat seat and more so on routes where your ‘other’ option is a 16 hour ride on an Indian Railways train…

avier

Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:43 am

stl07 wrote:
Vistara and dare I say AI on this site are arguable the only premium full service carriers in India anyways, and Vistara is co-owned by Singapore airlines so that was the expectation anyways

AI & Vistara are just "premium", but neither have the network, reach or frequency of what 6E has.

6E covers even smaller tier2/3 towns with multiple dailies, while between the metros they have 15-20 daily flights.

The two FSC's will have on average ~5 daily between the big metros (except BOM-DEL where they go upto 10-12).

The frequency, network and timing (with plenty of red-eye flights) advantage of 6E means AA pax can have low waiting times between flights and not spend the entire day or overnight at Indian airports.

Regarding comfort, the Y on 6E would be comparable to the coach of US3 NB, and the average domestic flight length in India is between 1hr-2hr. So won't be that bad or intolerable for the connecting pax, even for J pax.

If anything, AA is extremely lucky to have 6E as a domestic feed partner on the India side. Must make UA and possibly DL very jealous. 6E is very choosy on who they partner with and had agreed to with TK and QR, but that didn't materialize due the pandemic.

Everything is not about "premium", it's about practicality and what works most efficiently and best for the pax.

freqflyer

Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:55 am

DTWLAX wrote:
https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2021/American-Airlines-and-IndiGo-Announce-Codeshare-Agreement-Providing-More-Options-and-Seamless-Connectivity-Across-India-NET-ALP-09/default.aspx

The news here says that business pax will have Air India business class to choose from. AI is not an option for Economy class. If the Tata Group takes over Air India, it would be a good partnership .

Wacker1000

Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:35 am

alfa164 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

It seems AA is working hard to take its own service standards down to LCC levels anyway, rather than encouraging those budget airlines to raise theirs.

I'd argue that these LCC codeshares are bringing AA up - might actually get a FA or gate agent that cares.

ContinentalEWR

Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:45 am

avier wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Vistara and dare I say AI on this site are arguable the only premium full service carriers in India anyways, and Vistara is co-owned by Singapore airlines so that was the expectation anyways

AI & Vistara are just "premium", but neither have the network, reach or frequency of what 6E has.

6E covers even smaller tier2/3 towns with multiple dailies, while between the metros they have 15-20 daily flights.

The two FSC's will have on average ~5 daily between the big metros (except BOM-DEL where they go upto 10-12).

The frequency, network and timing (with plenty of red-eye flights) advantage of 6E means AA pax can have low waiting times between flights and not spend the entire day or overnight at Indian airports.

Regarding comfort, the Y on 6E would be comparable to the coach of US3 NB, and the average domestic flight length in India is between 1hr-2hr. So won't be that bad or intolerable for the connecting pax, even for J pax.

If anything, AA is extremely lucky to have 6E as a domestic feed partner on the India side. Must make UA and possibly DL very jealous. 6E is very choosy on who they partner with and had agreed to with TK and QR, but that didn't materialize due the pandemic.

Everything is not about "premium", it's about practicality and what works most efficiently and best for the pax.

This all makes sense. The naysayers are quick to dismiss AA getting into a code-share with an LCC but the reality is that Indigo has a strong, well developed network and can assure flexibilities in connections and even more options, something that neither Air India nor Vistara can. Air India is also likely no one's first choice as a partner and AA is not missing out on anything there. As to whether UA and DL see challenges ahead for themselves, that is not entirely clear yet. UA has a well developed US-India route network. DL can rely on KL/AF for India service coverage, but AA it can be argued is positioning itself a bit better as a new re-entrant into the market.

airbazar

Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:22 pm

stl07 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Exactly, not much difference in hard product between NK and the legacies anyways. Vistara and dare I say AI on this site are arguable the only premium full service carriers in India anyways, and Vistara is co-owned by Singapore airlines so that was the expectation anyways

That's not true at all in the U.S. and especially not true in the front of the plane. U.S. legacy carriers still have a domestic F and "Economy+". Besides that there's a huge difference in Y between a 28" pitch on the likes of NK and F9 and the 30"-32" pitch on the legacy carriers. As far as hard product there is a significant different.
Having said that, I don't see a big deal either. If a passenger wants extra leg room it's 15 bucks. If they want extra space they can buy 2 seats. They're cheap enough.
I have personally flown IndiGo between Bangalore and Chennai, in Y and I found the product and experience to be no different than flying domestic anywhere else in the world. To get to BLR I flew on BA in J. I didn't feel offended or morally injured by the fact that I had to hop onto a Y seat on a domestic leg.

aa1818

Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:35 pm

avier wrote:

Very well said.
I think that from a connectivity side, they are arguably the best.
The lack of a J option is something that few passengers will take issue with, but let's face it AA's codeshare is simply giving passengers an option. If I was adamant about flying in J, I could still fly AA from the USA to India and then choose to do my shorter segments on AI or Vistara if J was of prime importance. Personally, I think the codeshare is great and would definitely use it.
In addition, Indigo offer enhanced options like BOB, and seat selection.

Congrats to AA and 6E!

Cheers,
AA1818

zuckie13

Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:52 pm

Clearly this is really targeted at largely Indian nationals and expats traveling between the US and their hometowns. I'm sure AA has no thought that his is useful for business class, just the other 200 seats on the plane flying to India.

jayunited

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:14 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
Clearly this is really targeted at largely Indian nationals and expats traveling between the US and their hometowns. I'm sure AA has no thought that his is useful for business class, just the other 200 seats on the plane flying to India.

I don't know if that is necessarily true, I'm not sure how much of a choice AA had in partners for in India. United Airlines partnered with AI through the Star Alliance but in addition to Air India, United also codeshares with Vistara on flights within India. I think if things go sideways with Air India, United doesn't want to be in a position where they have no partner within India, and thus far United's codeshare with Vistara is paying off both in DEL and to a lesser extent BOM.

With Vistara partnering up with United, Indigo became the next best choice for American Airlines.

YouGeeElWhy

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:57 pm

As a J flyer to India, I am glad AA did this. I value connectivity and frequency in India all day and every day over whatever little bit of premium offering UX and AI might have on domestic flights. If you want to make a same-day connection from the JFK flight 6E is your only option. Otherwise, you are waiting 8-12 hours.

Also, as the poster said above, 6E is not a problem flying on these short routes, which I have done a handful of times.

My only concern is the way hand luggage and checked luggage work on 6E, being so different between AA and 6E, but I am sure they will work that out.

hohd

Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:14 pm

As long as the Indigo flights and AA are in the same terminal in DEL, the code shares are good and transfers will be smooth. Indigo operates majority of flights from T2 and some from T3 and AA will be in T3 so for T2 flights will require bus or coach transfer.

Code shares will help in luggage transfer but passengers with carryon bags still have to take the bus/coach. In these cases AI and Vistara do have the advantage as they will be in the same terminal. I have travelled many times though DEL and the terminal bus transfer is a hassle.

Rajahdhani

Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:17 pm

alfa164 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

We'll return to the topic, of AA's codeshare agreement with Indigo.

That said, let's take a look at news from Brazil, within 2 days of each other;

http://www.latamairlinesgroup.net/news-releases/news-release-details/latam-group-receives-offers-exit-financing-exceed-us5-billion
"The recovery is supported by LATAM Airlines Brazil’s domestic market’s operational ramp-up to date, which reached a capacity (measured in ASKs) of 77% in August, compared to 2019, and is forecast to surpass 100% of 2019 levels in the beginning of 2022. The domestic markets of the affiliates in Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Chile have already reached 72% in August, while the international recovery of the group, both regional and long-haul continues to be affected by travel restrictions."
Furthermore, LATAM has increased the variable portion of its cost structure from 65% in 2019 to 80% in 2021-2022, which will allow the group to better adapt to the nonlinear demand recovery path ahead.

LATAM projects an operating margin (EBIT) of 11.2% in 2026, the highest since 2010.

“Despite the dramatic crisis we have faced, we have taken full advantage of our restructuring, not only by becoming substantially more efficient, but also by cementing a better value proposition for customers, all of which has been reaffirmed by the significant interest we have received in providing exit financing” said LATAM Airlines Group SA, CEO Roberto Alvo. "We will emerge from this process as a highly competitive and sustainable group of airlines, with a very efficient cost structure, all the while maintaining the unparalleled network and connectivity that LATAM offers in all the markets it serves."

This is AA's former partner, as they exit from bankruptcy.
Per their CEO, "emerge as...highly competitive, sustainable group of airlines...efficient cost structure".

Meanwhile, AA's current partner;
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3737390-gol-linhas-domestic-demand-for-flights-surged-85-in-august-2021
" In the domestic market, demand (RPK) for GOL's flights increased 85% and supply (ASK) increased by 83%.
Domestic load factor was 80.2% in August, a 0.8 p.p increase over prior year.".

These are two days apart.

Seems like AA decided to change partners, and went for one that is in better shape financially, better serves their needs, required less investment, and was more resilient. I am not saying that Latam did not, or will not, prosper - however GOL is, has been, and has the benefits of years of operation more clearly as an LCC. Latam is, as most legacy carriers - are learning that the market has changed, and their previous product/purpose/planning was not longer valid, and required change. Rarely do we get the chance to observe such changes, but in this case - and especially as we consider the 'climb out' - AA is working with the partner that works better for them, here.

Backing to the topic:

https://www.goindigo.in/about-us.html/?linkNav=about-us_footer
IndiGo is India’s largest passenger airline with a market share of 57% as of August, 2021.

airbazar

Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:27 pm

zuckie13 wrote:

I'm not sure that is entirely the case. There are a lot of U.S. companies with a presence in multiple cities in India. When I travel to India for work it involves visiting at least 2 sites which has me buying a stand-alone domestic ticket between cities. My last work trip to India was BOS-BLR-MAA-BOS with the BOS-BLT and MAA-BOS legs flown with BA and BLR-MAA flown with IndiGo. Pre Pandemic my company sent lots of corporate travelers to India every year on similar itineraries. I think it's fair to assume that AA's corporate clients had been asking for a partner in India.

VTORD

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:20 pm

avier wrote:

I am with you on the "premium" argument, it's a non-starter. But if you look at the stations included in the codeshare from the press release on AA's website, on the inbound leg, unless you are traveling to BOM. BLR, MAA or CCU you are looking at a long layover based on JFK flight arrival to DEL. The first flights don't leave until 5:00 AM - 7:00 AM time frame and the AA flight arrives 8:30 PM. This probably means it works well on the outbound leg with a evening arrival for domestic into DEL.

Also, JFK. I am not sure how many would want to fly DEL-BLR/BOM at 2:00-3:00 AM arriving 4:00 AM if you can land directly to BLR or BOM at 2:00 AM via EU/ME? Just my $0.02

YouGeeElWhy

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:47 pm

VTORD wrote:
unless you are traveling to BOM. BLR, MAA or CCU you are looking at a long layover based on JFK flight arrival to DEL. The first flights don't leave until 5:00 AM - 7:00 AM time frame and the AA flight arrives 8:30 PM.

6E pruned many of their frequencies to tier 2/3 cities during COVID. They have the ability to add those extra late evening frequencies once traffic picks back up, and it should add a few more possibilities to your list.

sand26391

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:08 pm

More domestic destinations will be added for codeshare in the near future.

avier

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:12 pm

VTORD wrote:
I am with you on the "premium" argument, it's a non-starter. But if you look at the stations included in the codeshare from the press release on AA's website, on the inbound leg, unless you are traveling to BOM. BLR, MAA or CCU you are looking at a long layover based on JFK flight arrival to DEL. The first flights don't leave until 5:00 AM - 7:00 AM time frame and the AA flight arrives 8:30 PM. This probably means it works well on the outbound leg with a evening arrival for domestic into DEL.

You're probably looking at their current curtailed schedule, which is by no means anything close to their normal schedule.

Their current limited schedule between metro cities is a result of the flight capacity restrictions, fare caps and ofcourse reduced demand due pandemic and state-wise restrictions on testing or proof of vaccination requirements for air travel.

To give a perspective, they are currently operating just 10x daily on BOM-DEL, from their earlier of about 20x daily. That's how much the reduction is and this reflects similarly on the other metro pairs they operate. And most of these active flights are at the "reasonable" hours at which people would want to fly. So they aren't operating very many red eyes currently due the flight capacity restrictions and reduced demand.

Pre-pandemic they had atleast two midnight/red-eye flights between metro cities, with one between 23:00-01:00 and another 1:00-3:00am. So if we're talking of a typical 8pm arrival from US, it should easily connect to all metro's and few tier2 towns with low transit time.

If by the upcoming winter schedule the capacity and fare caps are fully lifted, those red-eye flights should make a come back depending on how demand bounces back.

Airlines0613

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:18 pm

Oof, I'm glad I'm already switching to DL. AA keeps stooping to lower levels as time progresses. I'm currently a Platinum Pro and only needed 3K to reach EP, but I instead decided to status match with DL and get their Platinum Medallion. Although, can't say AA had another option. All the full service carriers in India already have a US partner. I still think connecting with QR through DOH is the better option.
Last edited by Airlines0613 on Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbs2886

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:19 pm

Rajahdhani wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

We'll return to the topic, of AA's codeshare agreement with Indigo.

That said, let's take a look at news from Brazil, within 2 days of each other;

http://www.latamairlinesgroup.net/news-releases/news-release-details/latam-group-receives-offers-exit-financing-exceed-us5-billion
"The recovery is supported by LATAM Airlines Brazil’s domestic market’s operational ramp-up to date, which reached a capacity (measured in ASKs) of 77% in August, compared to 2019, and is forecast to surpass 100% of 2019 levels in the beginning of 2022. The domestic markets of the affiliates in Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Chile have already reached 72% in August, while the international recovery of the group, both regional and long-haul continues to be affected by travel restrictions."
Furthermore, LATAM has increased the variable portion of its cost structure from 65% in 2019 to 80% in 2021-2022, which will allow the group to better adapt to the nonlinear demand recovery path ahead.

LATAM projects an operating margin (EBIT) of 11.2% in 2026, the highest since 2010.

“Despite the dramatic crisis we have faced, we have taken full advantage of our restructuring, not only by becoming substantially more efficient, but also by cementing a better value proposition for customers, all of which has been reaffirmed by the significant interest we have received in providing exit financing” said LATAM Airlines Group SA, CEO Roberto Alvo. "We will emerge from this process as a highly competitive and sustainable group of airlines, with a very efficient cost structure, all the while maintaining the unparalleled network and connectivity that LATAM offers in all the markets it serves."

This is AA's former partner, as they exit from bankruptcy.
Per their CEO, "emerge as...highly competitive, sustainable group of airlines...efficient cost structure".

Meanwhile, AA's current partner;
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3737390-gol-linhas-domestic-demand-for-flights-surged-85-in-august-2021
" In the domestic market, demand (RPK) for GOL's flights increased 85% and supply (ASK) increased by 83%.
Domestic load factor was 80.2% in August, a 0.8 p.p increase over prior year.".

These are two days apart.

Seems like AA decided to change partners, and went for one that is in better shape financially, better serves their needs, required less investment, and was more resilient. I am not saying that Latam did not, or will not, prosper - however GOL is, has been, and has the benefits of years of operation more clearly as an LCC. Latam is, as most legacy carriers - are learning that the market has changed, and their previous product/purpose/planning was not longer valid, and required change. Rarely do we get the chance to observe such changes, but in this case - and especially as we consider the 'climb out' - AA is working with the partner that works better for them, here.

Backing to the topic:

https://www.goindigo.in/about-us.html/?linkNav=about-us_footer
IndiGo is India’s largest passenger airline with a market share of 57% as of August, 2021.

Lol what? AA didn't "decide[] to change partners" from LATAM to GOL - they were forced to when DL bought into LATAM and signed an extensive agreement.

dfwfanboy

Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:27 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
Oof, I'm glad I'm already switching to DL. AA keeps stooping to lower levels as time progresses. I'm currently a Platinum Pro and only needed 3K to reach EP, but I instead decided to status match with DL and get their Platinum Medallion. Although, can't say AA had another option. All the full service carriers in India already have a US partner. I still think connecting with QR through DOH is the better option.

Seems much more likely that you’ll connect on Delta’s partner(& KL subsidiary), ULCC/LCC Transavia, on Delta’s many many AMS flights than with AA on Indigo or Jetsmart with the total of… 5 flights to SCL and India combined?
But best of luck with your status match regardless of all that.

YouGeeElWhy

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:10 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
Maybe QR is a better solution, but AA is trying to fill their flights. QR also adds a 3rd country's COVID protocols to manage right now and that is a less is more situation.

Also, can you remind me who DL partners with in India?

DTWLAX
Topic Author

Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:52 am

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
Maybe QR is a better solution, but AA is trying to fill their flights. QR also adds a 3rd country's COVID protocols to manage right now and that is a less is more situation.

Also, can you remind me who DL partners with in India?

He never said DL has a partner in India. His point is all FSCs in India have a US partner, which is true. AI and Vistara are the Indian FSCs and both partner with UA.

acavpics

Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:22 am

DTWLAX wrote:

Well... AA's India network isn't even a fraction of EK or QR's. AA's only India flights will be SEA-BLR and JFK-DEL. EK/QR fly to pretty much all major Indian cities. So I guess AA should make use of whatever feed it can get from its two flights. Don't forget that BLR and DEL are major hubs for Indigo, which serves several second tier Indian cities, which don't even have ME3 service.

Also, geographically speaking, SEA doesn't have much of an advantage by way of connections, as most people traveling US-India travel TATL rather than TPAC. So I guess to make up for that, they need some connecting feed at the BLR end.

LAXLHR

Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:40 am

DTWLAX wrote:

Honestly. Just because the international carrier has a codeshare, does not mean the passenger has to transfer on to the partner carrier. Interline agreements exist, or if necessary re check on to Vistara!

So unless the final stop is DEL, then its just best to fly on a Gulf carrier or via Asia if and when it reopens - nonstop into ones Indian final destination.

Airlines0613

Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:55 am

dfwfanboy wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

Seems much more likely that you’ll connect on Delta’s partner(& KL subsidiary), ULCC/LCC Transavia, on Delta’s many many AMS flights than with AA on Indigo or Jetsmart with the total of… 5 flights to SCL and India combined?

I get that DL has some connecting flights on ULCC, but AA is literally partnering up with ULLC these past months and their products keeps getting worse and worse. I fly first class around 95% of the time and geez, it’s awful. I’m already paying top dollar for the flights, yet the seats keep getting tighter, food is awful, no IFE on short-haul first, and the customer service is lacking. Even UA is ahead of AA… I would rather spend the extra $100 per flight to get an overall better experience at DL, which also tends to be very consistent with their product. I’ve had great and awful days with AA and I dislike that. What’s even funnier is that I fly B6 and AS instead of AA whenever I get the chance, since they now earn EQDs for AA.

Like I’ve stated before, I don’t think AA had a choice in partners. It had to pick the whatever was left in the field. I’m only disappointed in how AA is becoming more and more like a LLC/ULCC. Cutting service and amenities in order to offer lower prices. Sounds like a “No Frills” airline to me.

dfwfanboy

Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:02 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
dfwfanboy wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

I get that DL has some connecting flights on ULCC, but AA is literally partnering up with ULLC these past months and their products keeps getting worse and worse. I fly first class around 95% of the time and geez, it’s awful. I’m already paying top dollar for the flights, yet the seats keep getting tighter, food is awful, no IFE on short-haul first, and the customer service is lacking. Even UA is ahead of AA… I would rather spend the extra $100 per flight to get an overall better experience at DL, which also tends to be very consistent with their product. I’ve had great and awful days with AA and I dislike that. What’s even funnier is that I fly B6 and AS instead of AA whenever I get the chance, since they now earn EQDs for AA.

Like I’ve stated before, I don’t think AA had a choice in partners. It had to pick the whatever was left in the field. I’m only disappointed in how AA is becoming more and more like a LLC/ULCC. Cutting service and amenities in order to offer lower prices. Sounds like a “No Frills” airline to me.

Well... All fair points, Delta has owned a part of the ULCC Transavia for a while now (via equity stake in AF-KL) and has a JV with their parent company, KLM. You're far more likely to connect with them in AMS than with any AA ULCC partner like Indigo.

But fair, AA has a small stake in Jetsmart, as well, but not Indigo.

Everyone has reasons for flying different airlines that make sense to them, but first class seat tightness between AA and DL is an unusual one to mention since every new & remodeled Delta domestic first class cabin has the same or less legroom vs even an Oasis AA plane.

But plenty of other reasons like you mentioned.

On the bright side and to the topic at hand... Two out of three US carriers now have a connecting partner in India, AA and UA. Cheers and good luck with the status match!

hohd

Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:21 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
[

Just like some one commented, AA is lucky to get Indigo. For a LCC, Indigo is not bad and is comparable to AA in domestic economy. On Indigo they have 15 kg baggage allowance (except on certain fares) and a carryon, only difference is only water is free but one has to pay for food and snacks. Both airlines have seat selection fee.

My only issue is with transfer in DEL due to different terminals. In BLR that problem is not there, but there will not be too many connecting from SEA (and a few double connecting passengers) to other mid tier cities in India.

sand26391

Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:05 pm

With the upcoming T2 at BLR, there "could" be an issue with change in terminals too. I would believe AA will very likely shift to T2 while 6E will most likely remain at T1.

VTORD

Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:38 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
6E pruned many of their frequencies to tier 2/3 cities during COVID. They have the ability to add those extra late evening frequencies once traffic picks back up, and it should add a few more possibilities to your list.

avier wrote:
You're probably looking at their current curtailed schedule, which is by no means anything close to their normal schedule.
Their current limited schedule between metro cities is a result of the flight capacity restrictions, fare caps and of course reduced demand due pandemic and state-wise restrictions on testing or proof of vaccination requirements for air travel.

Thanks both for context! I must say I was surprised that some stations had only 2 x daily and that too not before 7:00 AM. Makes sense now from a transit POV.

hohd wrote:
but there will not be too many connecting from SEA (and a few double connecting passengers)

What do you mean by "double connecting"? Genuine question. Do you mean XXX-SEA-BLR-YYY?

superbizzy73

Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:31 pm

Not sure if this was covered already (didn’t see it in any of the post), but what equipment does AA plan on using for the SEA-BLR route? (Just curious from a plane spotters point of view.)

DTWLAX
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:54 am

superbizzy73 wrote:
Not sure if this was covered already (didn’t see it in any of the post), but what equipment does AA plan on using for the SEA-BLR route? (Just curious from a plane spotters point of view.)

B789

Detroit313

Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:49 am

Only on this forum having a codeshare agreement with the airline that owns India and has an almost 55% share of the Indian domestic market would be a bad thing.

Indigo is massive. Good for AA

Spiderguy252

Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:05 am

Detroit313 wrote:
Only on this forum having a codeshare agreement with the airline that owns India and has an almost 55% share of the Indian domestic market would be a bad thing.

Indigo is massive. Good for AA

Exactly. IndiGo has a dizzying network with multiple dailies to boondocks.

India is a small country flying time wise - you can get anywhere to anywhere in a ~2hr window and 6E does the job.

And AI/UK don't have flat beds for J in domestic, jeez.

hohd

Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:21 pm

VTORD wrote:
YouGeeElWhy wrote:

What do you mean by "double connecting"? Genuine question. Do you mean XXX-SEA-BLR-YYY?

Yes
Spiderguy252 wrote:

India is a small country flying time wise - you can get anywhere to anywhere in a ~2hr window and 6E does the job.

Many of the routes from DEL to Southern/Eastern India are 2.5 to 3.5 hrs time frame. It is not that small. Now there are many routes which are >2.5 hrs as point to point routes are more numerous.

Spiderguy252

Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:30 am

hohd wrote:
Many of the routes from DEL to Southern/Eastern India are 2.5 to 3.5 hrs time frame. It is not that small. Now there are many routes which are >2.5 hrs as point to point routes are more numerous.

Nope. The longest is DEL-TRV which is 2:55 runway to runway.

Whining about wanting a flat bed is ridiculous.

Rajahdhani

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:51 am

So, I found (and then used in another thread) this visual, and I hope that it helps:

Smart move, considering Indigo's strength, and growth in the Indian market. I get concerns, about yields and revenue generation - however, I really have not seen credible evidence to support them. Meanwhile, here's Mr. Raja's comments;

“We’re eager to add IndiGo as our trusted partner in India,” said Vasu Raja, American’s Chief Revenue Officer. “Whether our customers are traveling for business or pleasure, this new partnership makes it easy to reach all four corners of India. Today we’re adding 29 new routes to our map as a result of this agreement, providing customers with even more options around the globe.”.

Once more, congratulations to both American Airlines and IndiGo, and here's to future successes!

hohd

Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:57 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:
hohd wrote:

Nope. The longest is DEL-TRV which is 2:55 runway to runway.

Whining about wanting a flat bed is ridiculous.

I dont think anyone is expecting a flat bed on a 3 hour flight and even a 5 hour flight which is US coast to coast. But a business class passenger would certainly want a business class seat for 2.5 hours or longer flights. Entry to exit DEL- TRV is around 3.5 hours.

If Indigo chooses they can do Euro style business class, with a middle seat empty, and that is if AA wants to funnel a few business class passengers to Indigo.

highvoltageeee

Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:00 pm

Folks, I was trying to see if the codeshare is working. I searched for jfk to Mumbai and it isn’t working. How long does it take to get the codeshare activated?

highvoltageeee

Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:34 am

Rajahdhani wrote:
So, I found (and then used in another thread) this visual, and I hope that it helps:

Smart move, considering Indigo's strength, and growth in the Indian market. I get concerns, about yields and revenue generation - however, I really have not seen credible evidence to support them. Meanwhile, here's Mr. Raja's comments;

“We’re eager to add IndiGo as our trusted partner in India,” said Vasu Raja, American’s Chief Revenue Officer. “Whether our customers are traveling for business or pleasure, this new partnership makes it easy to reach all four corners of India. Today we’re adding 29 new routes to our map as a result of this agreement, providing customers with even more options around the globe.”.

Once more, congratulations to both American Airlines and IndiGo, and here's to future successes!

Folks, I was trying to see if the codeshare is working. I searched for jfk to Mumbai and it isn’t working. How long does it take to get the codeshare activated?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos