Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

global1

Re: Airline Employee Covid Vaccination Rates

Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:06 pm

I thought it was posted that UA was having some operational issues with vaccinated pilots refusing to fly with unvaccinated.

Cardude2

Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:23 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Once again - easy to say now, but when people go to go grocery store this Holiday season and can’t find ingredients to cook, or the roads aren’t plowed for you to drive on this winter… people will think very differently. And just when exactly does this “temporary issue” you speak of end? These folks are bent on not ever getting the vaccine

About 3-5% of folks have been getting axed in places that have mandated it thus far. Some departments in WA for example saw upwards of 15%. You can bet that if even 5% let alone 15% of folks at companies across America are let go… it’s going to be very ugly. As somebody said - it doesn’t take much to make a big dent in Ops, especially when we’re already short staffed on everybody from pilots to cooks

The 5% that won’t get vaccinated are the same 5% that causes problems, scams, is always calling sick, and is always getting in trouble at their work

Oh is it? So you mean to tell me all my military pilot buddies with impeccable records who are getting out/retiring over the vaccine mandate are trouble makers with poor attendance records? Ditto for my airline pilot buddies who are refusing (many of whom served in / retired from the military and have had good clean records in both careers)? Laughable.

How does serving in the military excuse them from being bad employees? last I checked it doesn't, they just get better insurance, free college, and free healthcare, and it just makes it more disappointing when they refuse something that will in the long run save our country.

Cardude2

Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:25 pm

32andBelow wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
The 5% that won’t get vaccinated are the same 5% that causes problems, scams, is always calling sick, and is always getting in trouble at their work

Oh is it? So you mean to tell me all my military pilot buddies with impeccable records who are getting out/retiring over the vaccine mandate are trouble makers with poor attendance records? Ditto for my airline pilot buddies who are refusing (many of whom served in / retired from the military and have had good clean records in both careers)? Laughable.

Losing your military career over a vaccine is the most hilarious. Military members are the most vaccinated people on earth. Why are they so afraid of this one?

its the elephant in the room

santi319

Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:39 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Once again - easy to say now, but when people go to go grocery store this Holiday season and can’t find ingredients to cook, or the roads aren’t plowed for you to drive on this winter… people will think very differently. And just when exactly does this “temporary issue” you speak of end? These folks are bent on not ever getting the vaccine

About 3-5% of folks have been getting axed in places that have mandated it thus far. Some departments in WA for example saw upwards of 15%. You can bet that if even 5% let alone 15% of folks at companies across America are let go… it’s going to be very ugly. As somebody said - it doesn’t take much to make a big dent in Ops, especially when we’re already short staffed on everybody from pilots to cooks

Wait until they find out everyone in the milltary is required to have a covid vaccine…

This is unbelivable! You can’t make this up!

JoseSalazar

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:03 pm

Cardude2 wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

How does serving in the military excuse them from being bad employees? last I checked it doesn't, they just get better insurance, free college, and free healthcare, and it just makes it more disappointing when they refuse something that will in the long run save our country.

Typically “bad employees” who “scam, always call in sick, and always getting in trouble” (as the OP said are the same types not getting the vax) won’t last in the military, certainly not as pilots. And my point is, there ARE a lot of pilots in the military, and at the airlines, who are not getting the shot, but who are otherwise very good employees. He’s just flat wrong on his stereotype as he’s trying to push a (false) narrative.

OA412

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:34 pm

Please keep this thread on topic.

MIflyer12

Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:20 am

WestJet Airlines Ltd. says it has suspended about 290 employees who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

The suspended workers – about 4 per cent of WestJet’s 7,300-person staff – are not being paid for one month and could face firing if they do not comply with the government-mandated vaccine policy of the Calgary-based airline.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... for-covid/

That's a non-trivial fraction for a carrier the size of westJet.

Aaron747

Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:43 am

JoseSalazar wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:

Typically “bad employees” who “scam, always call in sick, and always getting in trouble” (as the OP said are the same types not getting the vax) won’t last in the military, certainly not as pilots. And my point is, there ARE a lot of pilots in the military, and at the airlines, who are not getting the shot, but who are otherwise very good employees. He’s just flat wrong on his stereotype as he’s trying to push a (false) narrative.

Yet it has to be said that based on the evidence of its safety and efficacy, being against the vaccine to the point of risking career over it indicates a worrying change in ability to exercise judgment and think critically. At that point what kind of employee they have been starts becoming less relevant...at least in the eyes of HR...especially in a job description where those two skills are absolutely essential.

UPlog

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:51 am

New guidance released on Monday, gives Federal contractors such as airlines broad flexibility to enforce Covid vaccine rules.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/feder ... ar-AAQc8QL

The White House released the federal contractor guidance Monday after contractors sought more details on how to implement the rules. Biden issued an executive order on Sept. 9 requiring federal contractors to ensure their employees are vaccinated against Covid-19 and follow masking and social distancing policies. The administration set a Dec. 8 deadline for contractors to implement those requirements.

Senior administration officials made clear that Dec. 8 is not a hard deadline for contractors to have all of their employees fully vaccinated. Instead, contractors must demonstrate they are making a good faith effort to ensure employees are getting vaccinated and have plans in place to ensure masking and social distancing policies are followed in the workplace.

The federal government will defer to contractors to determine when an employee has a sincerely held religious belief or medical condition that requires accommodation, according to senior administration officials. Federal contractors are not required to make a final determination on accommodation requests when an employee begins work.

Spacepope

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:58 am

JoseSalazar wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:

I’ll take things that never happened for $800, Alex.

It’s just like the NYPD, who wailed and gnashed teeth, and in the end had a whopping 34 people put on unpaid leave. Out of 35,000.

But sure, people that want to shirk their duties and bail on a pension? Be my guest.

JohanTally

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:58 am

Spacepope wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:

It’s just like the NYPD, who wailed and gnashed teeth, and in the end had a whopping 34 people put on unpaid leave. Out of 35,000.

But sure, people that want to shirk their duties and bail on a pension? Be my guest.

Just under 8000 NYPD are still unvaccinated and at least 6500 put in exemptions. The 34 number will certainly go up if exemptions are denied.

Aaron747

Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:16 am

JohanTally wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:

Just under 8000 NYPD are still unvaccinated and at least 6500 put in exemptions. The 34 number will certainly go up if exemptions are denied.

That all depends on who is processing them. For my money, public organization HR will be much more lenient with exemption criteria than a private company.

cirrusdragoon

Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:45 pm

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... not-being/

More than 800 Air Canada
employees are suspended without pay for not getting fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with government and airline rules.

Michael Rousseau, chief executive officer of Montreal-based Air Canada, said on Tuesday almost all the airline’s 27,000 pilots, flight attendants and other employees have had both shots. “Our employees have done their part, with now over 96 per cent fully vaccinated,” Mr. Rousseau said. “The employees who are not vaccinated or do not have a medical or other permitted exemptions have been put on unpaid leave.”

Employees of Air Canada and other Canadian airlines must be fully vaccinated by Oct. 30 or face layoff and possible firing, according to rules imposed by the federal government.

WestJet Airlines Ltd. said on Monday almost 300 of its 7,300 employees are suspended for not getting both immunizations, which reduce the chances of becoming seriously ill from the virus that has killed about 29,000 people in Canada since the onset of the pandemic in March, 2020.

Leisure airline Transat AT Inc. suspended 18 people on Nov. 1 for not getting the shots, most of them flight attendants, said Christophe Hennebelle, a spokesman for the airline that employs 2,000.

Cardude2

Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:52 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-air-canada-suspends-more-than-800-employees-without-pay-for-not-being/

More than 800 Air Canada
employees are suspended without pay for not getting fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with government and airline rules.

Michael Rousseau, chief executive officer of Montreal-based Air Canada, said on Tuesday almost all the airline’s 27,000 pilots, flight attendants and other employees have had both shots. “Our employees have done their part, with now over 96 per cent fully vaccinated,” Mr. Rousseau said. “The employees who are not vaccinated or do not have a medical or other permitted exemptions have been put on unpaid leave.”

Employees of Air Canada and other Canadian airlines must be fully vaccinated by Oct. 30 or face layoff and possible firing, according to rules imposed by the federal government.

WestJet Airlines Ltd. said on Monday almost 300 of its 7,300 employees are suspended for not getting both immunizations, which reduce the chances of becoming seriously ill from the virus that has killed about 29,000 people in Canada since the onset of the pandemic in March, 2020.

Leisure airline Transat AT Inc. suspended 18 people on Nov. 1 for not getting the shots, most of them flight attendants, said Christophe Hennebelle, a spokesman for the airline that employs 2,000.

wonder whats the stats for the other 2 (Flair and sunwings) along with all the carters, northern 3 (canadian north, air inuit, and air north), and regionals

LAXintl

Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:55 pm

American Airlines delays employee vaccine mandate deadline until 2022 after government moves deadline for federal contractors.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/04/america ... dline.html

smokeybandit

Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:14 pm

With so much pressure from many angles on these mandates, I fully expect them to be repealed or at least majorly relaxed by the time they really do take effect

global1

Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:29 pm

Has Southwest provided any hard data regarding the percentage of it’s workforce vaccination numbers other than a ‘guess’ by its CEO?

LNCS0930

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:03 am

smokeybandit wrote:
With so much pressure from many angles on these mandates, I fully expect them to be repealed or at least majorly relaxed by the time they really do take effect

I felt both a delay would occur and then they’d likely allow testing for the federal employees and federal contractors. The first has happened and the second is probably coming as well

piedmontf284000

Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:23 am

Judges put halt to vaccine mandate for private companies. This will effect the airlines, airports, and other entities of air transport. Although at this point, I imagine the vast majority of employees are already fully vaccinated.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/06/us-fede ... anies.html

alfa164

Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:31 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:
Judges put halt to vaccine mandate for private companies. This will effect the airlines, airports, and other entities of air transport. Although at this point, I imagine the vast majority of employees are already fully vaccinated.

That's the Fifth Circuit, which is notorious for decisions that get overturned (66%) on appeal. This may not be as important as some people think.

https://ballotpedia.org/SCOTUS_case_rev ... _-_Present)

32andBelow

Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:10 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:

I thought the airlines were under the contractor one?

Boof02671

Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:19 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:

Your information is wrong.

The temporary stay is for the OSHA rules covering 100 people.

The airlines etc aren’t covered under that.

They are covered by Executive Order number 14042. Not the OSHA rules.

Here is the Executive Order.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... ontractors

This has already been tested in court and the airline employees challenging the EO lost in court.

This is the OSHA rules that they court stayed.

https://www.osha.gov/news/newsreleases/ ... l/11042021

okie73

Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:56 pm

I don’t think the real battles has started yet. The vast majority of airline employees will get the vaccine. I think the real pushback will come when they start to push boosters. It’s becoming clear that the protection from the vaccine is pretty short lived and people will not take endless boosters.

Boof02671

Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:02 pm

okie73 wrote:
I don’t think the real battles has started yet. The vast majority of airline employees will get the vaccine. I think the real pushback will come when they start to push boosters. It’s becoming clear that the protection from the vaccine is pretty short lived and people will not take endless boosters.

You have to get booster of most vaccines.

Flu is a shot every year etc.

And the EOs say nothing about a booster. And right now boosters are on it for immunosuppressive issues.

av8tiongeek

Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:35 pm

global1 wrote:
Has Southwest provided any hard data regarding the percentage of it’s workforce vaccination numbers other than a ‘guess’ by its CEO?

No. Mr. Kelly declined approximately three times to provide number during the recent earnings call. I believe he said he may have information to share on analyst day.

atcsundevil

Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:34 pm

Please avoid making blanket political statements. This is an aviation thread, so discussion needs to be rooted in aviation.

✈️ atcsundevil

JohanTally

Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:52 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:

This has already been tested in court and the airline employees challenging the EO lost in court.

Not all airlines fall under the federal contractor mandate. My regional airline is operating under the presumption that the OSHA guidelines will be what we follow.

Boof02671

Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:07 am

JohanTally wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:

Not all airlines fall under the federal contractor mandate. My regional airline is operating under the presumption that the OSHA guidelines will be what we follow.

All the majors fall under the EO.

casperCA

Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:52 am

cirrusdragoon wrote:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-air-canada-suspends-more-than-800-employees-without-pay-for-not-being/

More than 800 Air Canada

With Both Air Canada and WestJet now being 100% vaccinated (for both staff and passengers) we should move forward with reducing some of the limitations placed on the airlines such as requiring a test prior to entry to Canada. Limitations should be retained for US based airlines and other countries that do not have fully vaccinated aircraft.

Boof02671

Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:28 am

casperCA wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:

More than 800 Air Canada

With Both Air Canada and WestJet now being 100% vaccinated (for both staff and passengers) we should move forward with reducing some of the limitations placed on the airlines such as requiring a test prior to entry to Canada. Limitations should be retained for US based airlines and other countries that do not have fully vaccinated aircraft.

Citizens of the US fly Air Canada and WestJet.

casperCA

Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:42 am

Boof02671 wrote:
casperCA wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:

More than 800 Air Canada

Canada has rules in places requiring passengers to be fully vaccinated or they will be denied boarding. That would apply to US airlines flying to Canada.

Not certain if there is an exemption for flight crew from the US flying to Canada. I hope there is not, but if there is, the entire flight should be viewed as suspect and passengers and crew subject to additional heightened health checks on arrival.

Boof02671

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:41 am

Judge just ruled United Covid policy is legal.

So they can place medical and religious exempted employees on unpaid leave.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... HU_FnNBZd0

Cardude2

Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:12 am

Boof02671 wrote:

Great so now everyone can shut up abut this being legal, because it is.

MIflyer12

Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:03 pm

Cardude2 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

That might be nice, but expect an appeal.

Polot

Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:25 pm

casperCA wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
casperCA wrote:

Canada has rules in places requiring passengers to be fully vaccinated or they will be denied boarding. That would apply to US airlines flying to Canada.

Not certain if there is an exemption for flight crew from the US flying to Canada. I hope there is not, but if there is, the entire flight should be viewed as suspect and passengers and crew subject to additional heightened health checks on arrival.

Bilateral agreements usually don’t allow such discrimination. If Canada changes policy it would be a blanket change dependent on passenger’s vaccination status no matter what airline they are flying, or country of origin/destination again no matter if they are flying WS, AC, or a foreign airline to/from there.

Saying a vaccinated person on a US airline is more suspect than a vaccinated person on a Canadian airline from the same destination doesn’t make much sense when the passenger on the Canadian airline could have easily been mingling with just as many unvaccinated people prior to their flight as the US airline passenger.

Boof02671

Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:29 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Vaccine mandates have been legal since 1905 and reaffirmed in 1922.

SCOTUS so far has refused to hear any cases and 99.9% of cases brought by employees against the mandates have failed.

I doubt they will have any success.

casperCA

Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:57 am

Polot wrote:
casperCA wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Bilateral agreements usually don’t allow such discrimination. If Canada changes policy it would be a blanket change dependent on passenger’s vaccination status no matter what airline they are flying, or country of origin/destination again no matter if they are flying WS, AC, or a foreign airline to/from there.

Saying a vaccinated person on a US airline is more suspect than a vaccinated person on a Canadian airline from the same destination doesn’t make much sense when the passenger on the Canadian airline could have easily been mingling with just as many unvaccinated people prior to their flight as the US airline passenger.

Maybe I was not clear on my statement.

Canadian aircraft only have vaccinated people. The crew is required to be vaccinated and passengers are required to be vaccinated.

If the US (or other foreign country) does not ban non-vaccinated passengers or crew then the entire flight should be suspect and everyone on the aircraft should be subject to additional screening and assessment.

Polot

Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:07 am

casperCA wrote:
Polot wrote:
casperCA wrote:

Canadian aircraft only have vaccinated people. The crew is required to be vaccinated and passengers are required to be vaccinated.

If the US (or other foreign country) does not ban non-vaccinated passengers or crew then the entire flight should be suspect and everyone on the aircraft should be subject to additional screening and assessment.

I understood you perfectly. What you suggest is generally not allowed under bilateral agreements where passengers have to be treated the same no matter what airline they flew on. That is all vaccinated passengers have to be treated the same no matter if they flew in on an American carrier or Canadian carrier.

There is quite an easy solution to the problem- Canada can ban non vaccinated non citizen passengers from entering the country, something many countries, including the US, have done.

lightsaber

Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:53 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:

SCOTUS so far has refused to hear any cases and 99.9% of cases brought by employees against the mandates have failed.

Since there are medical and religious exemptions, what are the grounds for the appeal? Prior legal rulings have been clear, so on what legal grounds have they found that might warrant an appeal.

Recall there is a fully approved vaccine. As far as the courts are concerned, for adults we have met the criteria for a vaccine.

Lightsaber

Boof02671

Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:21 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Since there are medical and religious exemptions, what are the grounds for the appeal? Prior legal rulings have been clear, so on what legal grounds have they found that might warrant an appeal.

Recall there is a fully approved vaccine. As far as the courts are concerned, for adults we have met the criteria for a vaccine.

Lightsaber

Courts have ruled against religious exemptions.

lightsaber

Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:38 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Lightsaber

For Maine, which ammended their state constitution to exclude them. However on a Federal level, I believe they are still required (IANAL).

Same point though, on what grounds do they appeal the vaccine mandate besides "I won't take my medicine."

Lightsaber

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:07 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:

Not quite the case, those rulings involved use of state “police powers”; a power the SCOTUS has, in unrelated cases, said the Federal government doesn’t have. A lot of law has evolved in a 100 years, too.

Boof02671

Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:21 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

For Maine, which ammended their state constitution to exclude them. However on a Federal level, I believe they are still required (IANAL).

Same point though, on what grounds do they appeal the vaccine mandate besides "I won't take my medicine."

Lightsaber

Judge ruled in the United case religious exempt employees can be placed on unpaid leave and lose seniority.

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/09/10538146 ... court-sued

ripcordd

Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:18 pm

OSHA is out bounds with the mandate OSHA role is to workplace unique protections you can catch this anywhere it is not workplace only. If this was such a dire health emergency like they say why is it taking so long to go into effect if human lives are at stake? Airlines are free to start their own mandates? Part of the unvaxx is weekly testing but the vaxx can spread this at the same rate as the unvaxx so if this is about keeping employees safe which testing does why limit this to only unvaxx? when really i would think the vaxx based on cdc saying if you are vax and catch this you will only get mild symptoms maybe so mild they dont even know they have it and thus more likely to spread.

JoseSalazar

Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:02 pm

casperCA wrote:
Polot wrote:
casperCA wrote:

Why should they be subject to more screening? Can the pax on a flight with all vaccinated pax and crew not get or spread covid?

Cubsrule

Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:06 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Not quite the case, those rulings involved use of state “police powers”; a power the SCOTUS has, in unrelated cases, said the Federal government doesn’t have. A lot of law has evolved in a 100 years, too.

The federal government plainly has the power to regulate workplace safety (through the Commerce Clause). And while we can disagree about quantification hopefully we can all agree qualitatively that vaccine mandates make workplaces safer (not to mention facilitating removal of mask mandates in the workplace, which I think is a plus in most people's book).

Boof02671

Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:43 am

People get a flu shot every year

joeblow10

Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:49 am

[*]
Boof02671 wrote:

No doubt, but we aren’t required every x number of months to get it to go to work. I’d be curious to see how that plays out with COVID vaccines in a few years

Boof02671

Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:10 am

joeblow10 wrote:
[*]
Boof02671 wrote:

No doubt, but we aren’t required every x number of months to get it to go to work. I’d be curious to see how that plays out with COVID vaccines in a few years

Not true I’ve worked in manufacturing and we had to get a flu shot every year. One company was Freightliner and the other was Philip Morris.

At US Airways when I was an aircraft cleaner we had to get out hepatitis shots.

This is nothing new.

https://www.eeoc.gov/newsroom/eeoc-issu ... assistance

OA412

Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:59 am

Do not use these boards to post Covid and vaccine misinformation.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos