Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NZ516

Re: New Zealand Aviation thread - October 2021

Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:20 am

GW54 wrote:
OJI last flew 6 Oct and appears to be in AKL. OJM is still current and has been flying today (15 Oct) on the CHC-WLG-CHC route.

The total NZ Airbus fleet will drop down to 30 when OJM goes. At one point it was as high as 35 pre covid.

NZ6

Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:18 pm

zkncj wrote:
zkojq wrote:
I wonder how long until the announcement of the end of MIQ for Auckland? I doubt it will still be in place by December. I guess there may be the need to keep something in place incase vaccine-resistant variants pop up.

Apparently the roadmap for Auckland using the new Traffic Light framework is meant to by getting made public by the the end of next week, heres hoping International Travel will be back back for-fully VAX'd Aucklanders sooner than later.

I could see AKL-SYD resuming for two-way passenger flights by the end of the year, not sure about any other Tasman Routes.

When was the next Tasman Bubble review meant to be?

The silver lining in this is that we've been forced to hit the fast forward button on many of our plans and changed some to be honest.

Zero expectations but as always, high hope for something.

They said on the news the traffic light system isn't supported by health officials. I'm thinking it's perhaps a what happens next plan... another announcement of an announcement for something down the track lol.

The bubble was next reviewed sometime in November. I can't find the date, but wasn't it 8 weeks from around 23rd July. Then a further 8 weeks which takes us to around 12th November. I don't expect much but they're going to get plenty of heat once we're up around 90% and 3 weeks from this time that'll hit 90% double dose and with Xmas looming...

it'll be interesting to see what happens with AKL too. With an acceptance that Delta's here to stay in AKL. Do we enter summer and Xmas with AKL borders in place or do we allow people to fly around and see family. On the other side, if it's in AKL and we're 90% double dosed why can't Kiwis come home without MIQ? or even a 3 day MIQ? - how do these two overlay each other?

zkncj

Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:20 pm

NZ6 wrote:
The bubble was next reviewed sometime in November. I can't find the date, but wasn't it 8 weeks from around 23rd July. Then a further 8 weeks which takes us to around 12th November. I don't expect much but they're going to get plenty of heat once we're up around 90% and 3 weeks from this time that'll hit 90% double dose and with Xmas looming...

it'll be interesting to see what happens with AKL too. With an acceptance that Delta's here to stay in AKL. Do we enter summer and Xmas with AKL borders in place or do we allow people to fly around and see family. On the other side, if it's in AKL and we're 90% double dosed why can't Kiwis come home without MIQ? or even a 3 day MIQ? - how do these two overlay each other?

It’s going to be an very interesting next few weeks, to watch the turn of events that happen. It does feel that everything is now moving very quickly, along with Christmas approaching. The biggest issue in 3 weeks time you have day the Auckland population that could be around 80% double dosed, but then the bulk of the country still an couple of weeks behind.

Could international traffic open to AKL, earlier than the rest of the country?

If AKL does reopen to international travel this side of Christmas, surely NZ would need noticed very soon to start up scaling its AKL operations?

I’m assuming with the Auckland Outbreak, and the Tasman bubble closure. That most of the AKL based cabin crew are stood down? And allot of the a320 fleet would currently be in some short of short-term storage?

Kiwings

Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:48 am

Now, wouldn't that be great, Aucklanders able to travel overseas and self isolate at home on their return and the rest of the country still sitting in a bubble believing in an elimination/eradication !!!
MIQ will be gone by end of JAN for AKL'ets if not earlier and I think some people will be surprised/shocked how quickly international traffic will start building.
Note some european airlines have now dropped masking requirements now.
https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2021 ... ask-rules/

NZ6

Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:42 pm

Kiwings wrote:
Now, wouldn't that be great, Aucklanders able to travel overseas and self isolate at home on their return and the rest of the country still sitting in a bubble believing in an elimination/eradication !!!
MIQ will be gone by end of JAN for AKL'ets if not earlier and I think some people will be surprised/shocked how quickly international traffic will start building.
Note some european airlines have now dropped masking requirements now.
https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2021 ... ask-rules/

I'm not sure how to interrupt your AKL comment.

My personal view is we'll never see international travel only for AKLers for many reasons.

My thinking is more around how and when they'll allow Aucklanders to mix to the rest of the country with freedom. Given it's here to stay in Auckland how long do we leave the fence up. As essentially bringing it down is an acceptance and invitation for it to travel south (or north) with freedom.

I'm conscious this is an aviation forum and we need to keep it on topic so...

Ultimately how long before the above happens is the length of time before we start seeing a full domestic network again. Three weeks from now takes us into early November. So we've only got a couple more weeks before we starting blending into December where things like Uni's break up and people start moving around for Xmas holidays.

Does, and if so, how does this dovetail into International? - if we accept it's here to stay in Auckland, and we go from elimination to suppression etc and if we allow it to move around NZ without internal borders. Does this open the door from mid December for some Kiwis to come home for Xmas?

Toenga

Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:35 pm

My own view is that as long as we can keep covid confined to within the Auckland containment lines it is best to do so.
So although Auckland may start to move down the alert levels, or shortly, the three part colour traffic light spectrum, we will still retain the Auckland border for some time yet.
We are just days away from unveiling the vaccination pass, and I expect that use of this pass will rapidly grow in importance, as the list of mandatory vaccination requirements in both the public and private sector grows rapidly.
I thought it was very telling that PWC and Russell McVeigh, perhaps our biggest Law practice, have jointly announced that vaccination will become mandatory for all staff and visitors to their offices. So obviously they do not see a legal impediment to this requirement.

What I see is that by Christmas, Auckland will be perhaps in the new amber, with perhaps the rest of the country in green.
Travel out of Auckland may well though be restricted to those that can demonstrate they are double vaxxed, and even if the outbreak has insufficiently subsided, to a requirement to produce a very recent negative test. Perhaps there may even be a similar border between the islands, but perhaps without the test requirement.
This aligns also with some signalling from Air New Zealand about making vaccination mandatory on internal flights as well as the previously announced international.

I am sure political imperatives will require that there is ability for Aucklanders to travel out by Christmas, but health imperatives may still unfortunately require internal border controls.
I very much hope that this is the case as we have bookings to fly to Blenheim via Wellimgton between Christmas and New Year.
Thanks to Air NZ we have scored some incredibly favourable fares to use up some of the credit we hold for covid cancelled transtasman flights earlier in the year.

As for international, I think this will be staged firstly like Australia to allow only more NZers an easier and higher capacity return home.
See how this goes before opening up further. Our conservative covid policies have stood us extremly well so far.

zkncj

Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:54 am

LATAM is to return to SCL-AKL-SYD 3x weekly from March 2022 (subject to current restrictions)

https://simpleflying.com/latam-auckland-sydney-flights/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=echo&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1tnBQOobYoKfv8c0VWxZtu9H4bv9-DuXW1xXxLBsg15fe05PeAsh-dj90#Echobox=1634165568

From Tuesday Oneway Quarantine free travel resumes from the South Island to Australia.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-delta-outbreak-australia-approves-quarantine-free-travel-for-the-south-island/EI3FBJPGOQX44DLBM6KJZH4OQU/

DavidByrne

Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:29 am

zkncj wrote:
From Tuesday Oneway Quarantine free travel resumes from the South Island to Australia.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-delta-outbreak-australia-approves-quarantine-free-travel-for-the-south-island/EI3FBJPGOQX44DLBM6KJZH4OQU/

I can't imagine the airlines will be rushing to lay on more than a handful of flights, if that, given the traffic would be essentially only one way - a full 14 days quarantine is still required on arrival in New Zealand.

NZ516

Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:15 am

Air NZ has updated it's iAKL international flying from December it's a bit of hit and miss. Limited services operate to SYD, MEL and BNE
Services are resuming to LAX, NRT, YVR, PDG and ICN next year. No flights are planned for HNL, PPT and NOU until at least March.

https://simpleflying.com/air-new-zealan ... mber-2021/

anstar

Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:09 am

It will be interesting to see if AKL is opened upt o international visitors without quarantine. If Covid is in the community & the community is vaccinated how much risk does a person arriving who is also fully vaccinated and tested negative pose ?

NZ516

Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:54 pm

It's going to be good to see Qantas back here in CHC again. Although only just for one way travel to Australia at the moment .

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/30043 ... -discussed

NZ6

Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:13 pm

anstar wrote:
It will be interesting to see if AKL is opened upt o international visitors without quarantine. If Covid is in the community & the community is vaccinated how much risk does a person arriving who is also fully vaccinated and tested negative pose ?

I've heard this argument a lot over the weekend. The quote being "We're getting more cases in the community in a day than what we get via the border in a week!" which is true and very hard to argue with.

So if we allow fully vaccinated passengers with a negative test prior to departure how much of a risk is there?

If your a NZ citizen without a vaccine then MIQ it is.

I guess it goes back to yesterdays topic on the Auckland boundary/border. While that's in place such a move is off the cards.

Toenga

Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:03 pm

NZ6 wrote:
anstar wrote:

I've heard this argument a lot over the weekend. The quote being "We're getting more cases in the community in a day than what we get via the border in a week!" which is true and very hard to argue with.

So if we allow fully vaccinated passengers with a negative test prior to departure how much of a risk is there?

I guess it goes back to yesterdays topic on the Auckland boundary/border. While that's in place such a move is off the cards.

With an R of 1.3 to 1.4 an extra 15% of cases per week is not insignificant. And if we say bought 5x as many people over our border to satisfy surge demand just for kiwis returning home daily case numbers could conceivably near double.
And whilst their would undoubtably be huge benifits to those currently trying to get home, this has to be balanced against the degradation of our hospital healthcare system that the 5plus million already here would have to endure.
There is a compelling case for just waiting just a few more weeks to see how things across the Tasman pan out rather then opening up in parallel with Australia.

DavidByrne

Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:21 pm

NZ516 wrote:
It's going to be good to see Qantas back here in CHC again. Although only just for one way travel to Australia at the moment .

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/30043 ... -discussed

As far as I'm aware neither QF nor NZ have announced the resumption of flights to CHC from Australia. Indeed, with the conflicting statements made by the NSW state government and the federal government, airlines are probably being very cautious about announcing anything at all until there's some clarification. Or have i missed something?

NZ6

Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:16 am

Toenga wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
anstar wrote:

With an R of 1.3 to 1.4 an extra 15% of cases per week is not insignificant. And if we say bought 5x as many people over our border to satisfy surge demand just for kiwis returning home daily case numbers could conceivably near double.
And whilst their would undoubtably be huge benifits to those currently trying to get home, this has to be balanced against the degradation of our hospital healthcare system that the 5plus million already here would have to endure.
There is a compelling case for just waiting just a few more weeks to see how things across the Tasman pan out rather then opening up in parallel with Australia.

I'm not a scientist, I'm not statistical modeler specializing in public health issues.. I also didn't say I agreed with it. We don't know if those who are testing positive in MIQ are vaccinated either.

I just said it's hard to argue with it.

If we look at this matter purely from a health perspective the border will remain closed for the foreseeable future.

I think the discussion is solely around if the virus is already in the community and we if we've moved to slowing it's spread (suppression) then is there room for some to bypass MIQ if they are vaccinated and test negative (perhaps even 3 or 5 day stay) - is there a conversation to be had?

Shortening it to 5 day stay would arguably double the capacity between now and Xmas which would allow many more Kiwis to return for Xmas?

But again - does this only apply to Auckland if we sticky keep AKL's position in AKL - So an returnee bound for WLG must MIQ for 14 days?

TBH the above is just too messy and complicated.

NZ516

Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:34 am

Yes there is not much detail on what is happening other than Aussies in the South Island are allowed to return home from Tuesday which is tomorrow.

tom90

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:32 am

NZ516 wrote:
Yes there is not much detail on what is happening other than Aussies in the South Island are allowed to return home from Tuesday which is tomorrow.

I've been searching for info as well and can't find anything on AirNZ website or Qantas about flights from CHC. Also, whether Australia will allow those in South Island to transirt through AKL airport from tomorrow also to MEL or SYD. I've searched the Covid AU federal website and can't find anything there either.

I guess it is only a matter of time before NZ gov gives green light to fully vaccinated travellers returning to NZ with a negative pre departure test and maybe home isolation for a few days (if needed from a hotspot), but surely they can hurry up about it and give some dates. I use to be across the ditch 4-5 times a year for work and family. Notice how freely people in Europe can travel now to other countries if fully vaccinated.

zkncj

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:02 am

With the current Covid issues in New Zealand, and no end in the short-term has NZ started to park up some of the airbus fleet into longer term storage?

LamboAston

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:27 am

zkncj wrote:
With the current Covid issues in New Zealand, and no end in the short-term has NZ started to park up some of the airbus fleet into longer term storage?

The last international A320CEO are now retired I believe. Rest of the fleet is staying.

NZ516

Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:09 am

LamboAston wrote:
zkncj wrote:

The last international A320CEO are now retired I believe. Rest of the fleet is staying.

One more left still ZKOJM in service . It's very hard for any business to plan for the next week let alone the next month so I don't expect any aircraft to go into long term storage yet. Everything is just so changeable at the moment.

NZ6

Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:34 pm

Toenga wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
anstar wrote:

Just to revisit this topic. Sounds like there's some movement very shortly and the hold up is the AKL boundary issue.

Recorded this morning. Fast forward to around the 4min 10second mark.

Fingers crossed we will see vaccinated people returning with shorter MIQ or MIQ at home. The irony is, we have people in MIQ without COVID while we have people with COVID isolating at home.

I'm feeling confident we'll see more aviation services, especially on the Tasman this side of Xmas.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/211-the- ... ast_widget

tom90

Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:30 am

QLD has reopened green zone to South Island as of today also

zkncj

Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:57 am

NZ6 wrote:
Toenga wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

Just to revisit this topic. Sounds like there's some movement very shortly and the hold up is the AKL boundary issue.

Recorded this morning. Fast forward to around the 4min 10second mark.

Fingers crossed we will see vaccinated people returning with shorter MIQ or MIQ at home. The irony is, we have people in MIQ without COVID while we have people with COVID isolating at home.

I'm feeling confident we'll see more aviation services, especially on the Tasman this side of Xmas.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/211-the- ... ast_widget

It came again in the 1pm briefing today, with Hipkins hinting again about MIQ changes to be announced in an matter of days.

Hopefully the NSW reopening to the world from the 1st on November, will help New Zealand make an move.

Would be great to leave Auckland right now, know that we could fly away to somewhere and then be able to fly home without being stuck for months trying to get home.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:32 am

https://twitter.com/JoelMacManus/status ... 6589814790

https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/n ... al-airport

Well that was unexpected. I can understand arguments from multiple angles for and against it. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:17 am

And already voted to not consider. https://twitter.com/JoelMacManus/status ... 6256509952 Council will retain it's shares in the airport.

VirginFlyer

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:50 am

Meanwhile in other news, ZK-CIB, Air Chathams’ Convair 580 combi, is going to be doing what many Aucklanders would like to do, and heading south to Wanaka to retire: https://fb.watch/8MKbbqw8qz/

Good to see it will be preserved. Last I saw, ZK-KFL was still sitting minus its wings, and ZK-CIE was mostly intact. I wonder what will end up happening to them.

V/F

NZ516

Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:57 pm

On the same topic of local airports. Ashburton district council is trying to manage it's expansion of operations at their airport especially with new housing going in near by. This could be a potential future cause of conflict.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics ... lan-debate

NZ516

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:01 pm

There is also a scam going round using airpoints which looks very legitimate and has caught out Air NZ customers.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/air ... NVE5EZLJU/

Kiwings

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:55 pm

NZ516 wrote:
On the same topic of local airports. Ashburton district council is trying to manage it's expansion of operations at their airport especially with new housing going in near by. This could be a potential future cause of conflict.

This reminds me of when Newmans Air took a Dash7 into Ashburton and suggested that they were looking into a scheduled service into Ashburton.
It obviously never eventuated.

NZ516

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:02 pm

Kiwings wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

This reminds me of when Newmans Air took a Dash7 into Ashburton and suggested that they were looking into a scheduled service into Ashburton.
It obviously never eventuated.

I believe their Dash 7:flights went in for a short time to Ashburton. It was back in 1985 or thereabouts but was stopped after a few months probably due lack of demand.

NZ516

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:04 pm

New update Air NZ is saying one way South Island to Australia bubble flights are not viable. Not surprising really.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/30043609 ... not-viable

zkncj

Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:40 pm

Based on todays new Covid management framework in New Zealand, domestic travel to/from AKL is likely to be majorly impacted for the couples of months while the rest of the country catches up to 90% double jabbed.

The financial impact of this must be huge for NZ? with the possibility of missing out of the summer domestic holiday market if the reset of the country isn't at 90% by then.

https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-levels-and-updates/covid-19-protection/

DavidByrne

Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:41 pm

NZ516 wrote:
New update Air NZ is saying one way South Island to Australia bubble flights are not viable. Not surprising really.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/30043609 ... not-viable

Exactly. The issue was way overplayed in the media. It was never going to be a money-spinner for the airlines anyway, as the policy change was really only aimed at Australians trapped in NZ and unable until now to get home. And the state and federal governments managed to contradict each other within hours of the announcement. Presumably Australians can now fly via AKL even if flights from CHC are not in the wind.

NZ516

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:21 am

zkncj wrote:
Based on todays new Covid management framework in New Zealand, domestic travel to/from AKL is likely to be majorly impacted for the couples of months while the rest of the country catches up to 90% double jabbed.

The financial impact of this must be huge for NZ? with the possibility of missing out of the summer domestic holiday market if the reset of the country isn't at 90% by then.

AKL also has to reach the 90% level no one is out of the woods yet!

Zkpilot

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:20 am

zkncj wrote:

Yes, I agreed with previous measures before vaccinations happened, but now that most people have been vaccinated, it’s easy and free to get and readily available, there is no excuse (by choice) for people not to be vaccinated.
It’s time to remove the restrictions (with some precautions still in place and restrictions for non-vaccinated people) and just get on with life.

zkncj

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:24 am

NZ just handed out another 12month status extension for its Elite, Gold and Sliver Members. Great news! I was wondering how I was going to make up for the 150SP I've used out on the last couple of weeks.

The impacts of COVID-19 continues to be felt by our Members. In March 2020 and again in January 2021 we provided support to our Airpoints™ Elite, Gold and Silver members with two Tier Status Extensions to prevent these Members from downgrading through the tiers.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/frequent-flyer-status-extension

NZ516

Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:04 pm

First Origin Air flight touches down at Napier airport. Look at the cake they made for the occasion it's huge! What I thought was that the airline has served the city before around 2018 with a NSN - NPL - NPE service. This is the first non stop service from Nelson.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-t ... I7DX7HK6Q/

NZ516

Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:38 am

I see that Qantas is going to start up Sydney to Delhi 3 weekly flights with their Airbus 330. Over in Australia they are very far ahead of NZ with an opening up plan well in place. There is a market opening up for them due to Indians can no longer transit via intermediate spots en route to Australia eg SIN, KUL and BKK etc. Perhaps when we decide to open up to the world one day that NZ might consider non stop flights to India? If their is sufficient demand and one stop options are not available if the same rule applies to NZ based Indians.

ZK-NBT

Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:18 am

NZ516 wrote:
I see that Qantas is going to start up Sydney to Delhi 3 weekly flights with their Airbus 330. Over in Australia they are very far ahead of NZ with an opening up plan well in place. There is a market opening up for them due to Indians can no longer transit via intermediate spots en route to Australia eg SIN, KUL and BKK etc. Perhaps when we decide to open up to the world one day that NZ might consider non stop flights to India? If their is sufficient demand and one stop options are not available if the same rule applies to NZ based Indians.

I’m not sure we know how far behind we are in terms of opening up, NZ is always behind in these sort of things, GFC etc. transits will open up again at some stage, will QF extend DEL beyond March. India is a difficult place to operate and easier to hub in normal times through SIN/KUL/HKG and feed several main cities from there rather than from AKL a ULH 15hr typically price sensitive market with low yields. In the short term you never know, longer term who knows but I wouldn’t bet on non stop AKL-India flights.

Zkpilot

Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:15 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

I’m not sure we know how far behind we are in terms of opening up, NZ is always behind in these sort of things, GFC etc. transits will open up again at some stage, will QF extend DEL beyond March. India is a difficult place to operate and easier to hub in normal times through SIN/KUL/HKG and feed several main cities from there rather than from AKL a ULH 15hr typically price sensitive market with low yields. In the short term you never know, longer term who knows but I wouldn’t bet on non stop AKL-India flights.

Very expensive for non-Asian airlines to operate too since typically everything that isn’t bolted down in the cabin mysteriously disappears... out of thousands of flights I’ve done the only ones to run out of toilet paper were India ones. Missing lifejackets etc. Then they are a catering nightmare with about 70% being special meals (versus around 10% to most other places).

GW54

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:21 am

I recall seeing a photo of Air NZ Q300 ZK-NEG sitting in Nelson looking rather forlorn. Looked as if it had been stripped for parts. Does anybody know it's current status? With Covid has it infact been scrapped? It shows on Flt radar 24 but doesn't look to have been active at all

LamboAston

Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:56 am

GW54 wrote:
I recall seeing a photo of Air NZ Q300 ZK-NEG sitting in Nelson looking rather forlorn. Looked as if it had been stripped for parts. Does anybody know it's current status? With Covid has it infact been scrapped? It shows on Flt radar 24 but doesn't look to have been active at all

Will be returned to service within the next few months.

NZ516

Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:43 am

Zkpilot wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Very expensive for non-Asian airlines to operate too since typically everything that isn’t bolted down in the cabin mysteriously disappears... out of thousands of flights I’ve done the only ones to run out of toilet paper were India ones. Missing lifejackets etc. Then they are a catering nightmare with about 70% being special meals (versus around 10% to most other places).

Not an easy route to run then. For Australia to India it's a much bigger market for Qantas to tap into which makes it far easier for them to get established than for Air NZ.

PA515

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:40 pm

LamboAston wrote:
GW54 wrote:

Will be returned to service within the next few months.

It's now parked at CHC. On 06 Jun 2021 it did a NSN-CHC pax flight and I thought it was returning to service, but then nothing. Then on 21 Jul 2021 on nzcivair.blogspot.com there was a photo of it at CHC all taped up and with the engines missing again. The NSN-CHC flight was meant to be a positioning flight but on the day it changed to a pax flight.

PA515

NZ516

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:28 am

Good news for a change Air NZ is unlocking more demand by doubling flying to the regions. Keeping fingers crossed for more opening up of markets next year.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industri ... aper-fares

tullamarine

Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:06 am

NZ516 wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Not an easy route to run then. For Australia to India it's a much bigger market for Qantas to tap into which makes it far easier for them to get established than for Air NZ.

India is an incredibly fractured market with people heading there going to various destinations such as Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore. Domestic travel in india is chaotic so avoiding a domestic connection is a great choice for a foreign traveller which means QF's solution of flying to DEL is not necessarily ideal. They had a better solution in previous years when they ran a scissor hub with 9W in SIN where people from all around Australia had a one-stop solution to all major cities in India.

When 9W went under, QF lost its partner and there is no other logical partner for them given Vistara is controlled by SQ and EK offers a one-stop via DXB but with lots of extra hours flying. NZ doesn't have this restriction. It can offer a very good one-stop solution using its Star partner SQ from CHC and AKL to all over India via SIN. This is a better answer than trying a non-stop fromAKL.

Nouflyer

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:49 am

The latest numbers out of the UK and Singapore regarding Covid are a complete disaster for Air NZ’s international reopening hopes.

I did a presentation on this at my work yesterday, but the key points are these:

1. Singapore and New Zealand have the same population and Singapore’s 82% double vaccination rate of 12 year olds and above is very high, but:

A) Singapore currently has as many new cases each day as NZ has had in 18 months of the pandemic, and

B) Singapore records NZ’s death toll of the entire pandemic every three days - it has international flights but also universal masking and vaccine passports.

2. The UK and France have identical vaccination rates, but the UK daily infection rate is ten times higher and its daily death rate is four times higher. Again, France has had to resort to universal masking, capacity controls and vaccine passports. The UK is proof that high vaccination levels alone are not enough.

Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas, and Qantas and Air NZ want to imitate the open borders seen overseas.

But while the UK and USA report catastrophic daily case rates and deaths respectively, more successful countries offset the continuing importation of Covid from overseas by a mixture of masking, working from home and use of Covid passports.

I can’t see the Kiwi public accepting the Singapore model of resumed international flights, 5000 cases per day, a dozen deaths per day, universal masking and having to show your vaccination status.

In effect the public has a choice: either opt to reopen international travel or to have a normal everyday life at home. But you can’t have both.

So I’m struggling to see how Air NZ’s international resumption can really work. The conditions they clearly want - no MIQ - would quickly lead to a Singapore-style domestic restrictions scenario which I can’t imagine being palatable to the general public.

PA515

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:33 pm

Air NZ's 29th and last ATR 72-600 on order ZK-MZF (msn 1691) had it's first flight yesterday with test registration F-WWEN.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/f-wwen

PA515

NZ516

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:54 pm

The end of Covid is coming according to Foran.
Air NZ is expecting the Government will allow International travel without the need for MIQ by March or April 2022. Plans to start the New York route for October 22 are well underway as well.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indust ... nal-travel

zkncj

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:58 pm

NZ516 wrote:
The end of Covid is coming according to Foran.
Air NZ is expecting the Government will allow International travel without the need for MIQ by March or April 2022. Plans to start the New York route for October 22 are well underway as well.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indust ... nal-travel

He does seem very “hopeful”, although at the 1pm press conference yesterday Hipkins seemed to qash that hopefulness. It seems that yes that MIQ will be gone by April 2022, you’ll still need to isolate at home for around an week. Who is going to travel under those terms?

The hope to two way travel with Australia for Christmas seems all but gone now.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos