Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777ER
Head Moderator
Topic Author

Australian aviation thread - October 2021

Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:10 am

Welcome to the October 2021 edition of the Australian Aviation Thread.

Link to the September 2021 edition viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1464369

atal17

Re: Australian aviation thread - October 2021

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:53 am

Hearing word from the ABC and Channel 9 saying ScoMo is set to open up international borders next month.

https://t.co/N2HokZophq?amp=1

Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:10 am

atal17 wrote:
Hearing word from the ABC and Channel 9 saying ScoMo is set to open up international borders next month.

I won’t be rushing to book anything. It’s still too early and if things close again you’ve effectively thrown away money.

Nobody wants to give refunds. Until that changes and things are normal the travel sector will not get a single dollar from me. I’m still out of pocket nearly €3000.

atal17

Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:34 am

atal17 wrote:

Now confirmed -

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-01/ ... /100506074

It seems like it will be opened up first to fully vaccinated (Pfizer, Moderna, Janssen, AZ, Sinovac) Australian citizens and PRs, with a mandatory home quarantine for 7 days.

Not every state will open up their borders on the same day - only NSW will commence first.

CraigAnderson

Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:26 am

Qantas to restart Sydney-London and Sydney-Los Angeles flights on November 14, 3x weekly

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ovember-14

a36001

Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:49 am

Is this not the best bit of news we have had for a long time! What ever happens at least this is going in the right direction for our industry and population, which to be fair have had a pretty rough trot these past few months! My passport to get out of here is ready!

smi0006

Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:37 am

Agree this is exciting - but let’s also manage expectations, this is far from a return to normal. I wouldn’t be encouraging true leisure travel until 1Q next year. Lots of details remain to be finalised. I also wouldn’t want to catch covid overseas, PCR test can pick up fragments for up 8-10weeks post recovery - and pre-departure testing will be with us for sometime.

But right steps, let’s hope only speed bumps from here on out - and no roadblocks!

EK413

Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:48 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Qantas to restart Sydney-London and Sydney-Los Angeles flights on November 14, 3x weekly

I’m curious whether or not the DRW stop would initially be a gas-n-go or connections permitted from MEL-DRW, ADL-DRW, CBR-DRW… Whilst PER-DRW & BNE-DRW are not permitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCFlyer

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:17 am

EK413 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

I’m curious whether or not the DRW stop would initially be a gas-n-go or connections permitted from MEL-DRW, ADL-DRW, CBR-DRW… Whilst PER-DRW & BNE-DRW are not permitted?

The international borders opening will be NSW only initially, so I would guess gas and go in DRW initially.

So it'll be interesting to see which states are able to open up by December (which is the current tentative date for DRW-LHR).

Edit: Originally thought it was via SIN, but it's actually SYD-DRW-LHR.

tullamarine

Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:40 am

SCFlyer wrote:
EK413 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

The international borders opening will be NSW only initially, so I would guess gas and go in DRW initially.

So it'll be interesting to see which states are able to open up by December (which is the current tentative date for DRW-LHR).

I assume the cabin crew on DRW-LHR will be the LHR based crew who previously did QF9 between PER and LHR.

Flyingsottsman

Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:19 am

Its some thing to look forward to, I recon the other States will be watching closely to see how New South Wales goes with this, I hope Victoria will follow suit, WA and Queensland will be the problem States both their Governments are still hoping to eliamate COVID altogether instead of learning to live and manage it, Eventually they will have to come around to the fact that COVID is here to stay, and will realise that when every one is heading of to Fiji, the US Europe or other places on the Planet and not going to WA or Queensland, right now I would rather be spending my money in Fiji rather than Cairns or any where in Western Australia. I find it insane to think that getting to America or Europe is much easier than going to Western Australia or Queensland.

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:54 pm

I agree that it’s ironic that it will be easier to travel overseas in six weeks than travel within our own country. It’s really sad that it has come to this. I read something a few weeks ago saying that Australia is the most divided, both politically and socio-culturally, it has been since the Constitutional Conventions of the 1890s. I agree that is probably true. I would hate for us to turn into the USA where only a few states are ‘swing states’, while about 45/50 states are either ‘red’ states or ‘blue’ states, and the two have practically nothing in common with each other apart from the colour of their banknotes.

I optimistically booked flights to Perth in February. I really hope that trip becomes a reality. I understand why WA (and QLD, TAS etc) want to keep out the current outbreak in NSW and VIC while vaccine rates are still low, but the reality is that sooner or later we need to move on with our lives. Vaccination and a moving towards ‘Covid normal’, where we accept some minor restrictions in perpetuity, is likely unavoidable. It’s sheer luck that a serious outbreak hasn’t been sparked in Perth or Brisbane from a hotel quarantine leak. Canberra and Melbourne show that lockdowns are not as effective against Delta as the original variant. Both locked down almost immediately and are unable to get it under control. I don’t want to sound like I’m preaching, that’s not my intention at all, but if/when we can travel to London but not Brisbane that strikes me as an unfortunate situation.

qf2048

Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:00 pm

cpd wrote:
atal17 wrote:

I won’t be rushing to book anything. It’s still too early and if things close again you’ve effectively thrown away money.

Nobody wants to give refunds. Until that changes and things are normal the travel sector will not get a single dollar from me. I’m still out of pocket nearly €3000.

We've taken a punt and booked SYD-NAN for new year's eve through a travel agent. Fully refundable if needed.

smi0006

Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:38 pm

tullamarine wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
EK413 wrote:

I assume the cabin crew on DRW-LHR will be the LHR based crew who previously did QF9 between PER and LHR.

Wasn’t that base closed? I thought all LHR and AKL crew were made redundant? Was there a CHC base too? Doubt there are many (100 or so) QAL crew left - only QCCD and QCCA.

tullamarine

Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:45 am

smi0006 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Wasn’t that base closed? I thought all LHR and AKL crew were made redundant? Was there a CHC base too? Doubt there are many (100 or so) QAL crew left - only QCCD and QCCA.

If that’s the case, how does QF handle the AU based crew who have flown LHR-DRW and get them back to their homes in MEL or SYD? Do they dead head them on QF2 ? They can’t, in theory, fly home on a domestic service at this stage and holding them in a hotel in DRW for a few days is an expensive and probably unacceptable option.

Fuling

Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:33 am

tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

If that’s the case, how does QF handle the AU based crew who have flown LHR-DRW and get them back to their homes in MEL or SYD? Do they dead head them on QF2 ? They can’t, in theory, fly home on a domestic service at this stage and holding them in a hotel in DRW for a few days is an expensive and probably unacceptable option.

Perhaps handle them as foreign crew in DRW, then operate the final leg into SYD where they quarantine on arrival?

EK413

Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:04 am

Fuling wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Perhaps handle them as foreign crew in DRW, then operate the final leg into SYD where they quarantine on arrival?

The cabin crew are usually re-positioned onboard a B738 whilst a separate crew reposition the B789.

ASOSpotter

Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:30 am

Another couple more Lion Air 737-800s into Alice Springs today, does anyone know how many are going to parked up?

smi0006

Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:57 am

tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

They either do quarantine in DRW at which point they can travel home on a domestic service. Or they can use a charter flight and they quarantine at home - but depends on their home situation. They have to live solo for that to work. No family. I’d imagine they are government charters so it’s factored into what QF charges. I believe crew have to volunteer for these charter flights. In fairness I do think all airline staff should be recognised for the efforts they are going to to get people in and out of this country. Lots of testing, fully hazmat PPE (more so than health care!).

bjwonline

Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:36 am

smi0006 wrote:

Jetconnect Crew in NZ are still there as are QCCUK. Both will continue to into the future alongside QCCA and QAL (of which still make up a sizeable portion of the Australian based crew).

EK413

Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:22 pm

As previously mentioned the crew which operate the repatriation flights reposition to their respective ports onboard either the B789 aircraft which operated the flight or via a ferry flight.

This allows “Red” crew to return to base without the need to quarantine in DRW.

tullamarine

Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:56 pm

EK413 wrote:
As previously mentioned the crew which operate the repatriation flights reposition to their respective ports onboard either the B789 aircraft which operated the flight or via a ferry flight.

I can see how that worked during repatriation flights which were never aimed to be full and the extra costs could be on billed to the Government. With the reopening of regular travel, it will be Qantas’ aim to fill its planes with paying pax and their will be no subsidy to cover special crew flights. If UK crew are still around as was indicated I in a prior response, it won’t be an issue as they will operate LHR-DRW, rest .for three days in Darwin, test negative and then operate a DRW-LHR back home.

qf2220

Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:47 pm

QF6051 BNE-EZE on its way.

https://www.flightradar24.com/multiview ... 1/295e4f37

Our routing questions to be answered in the next day.

EK413

Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:03 am

tullamarine wrote:
EK413 wrote:

I can see how that worked during repatriation flights which were never aimed to be full and the extra costs could be on billed to the Government. With the reopening of regular travel, it will be Qantas’ aim to fill its planes with paying pax and their will be no subsidy to cover special crew flights. If UK crew are still around as was indicated I in a prior response, it won’t be an issue as they will operate LHR-DRW, rest .for three days in Darwin, test negative and then operate a DRW-LHR back home.

Definitely from a repatriation perspective where the cost is covered by government funding but once borders open makes so much sense to position crew on a revenue making service with bums on seats…

qf2048

Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:09 am

qf2220 wrote:

Does anyone know if LOSPUMAS, the Argentinian Rugby team are on this flight? They played their last game in the Rugby Championship on the Gold Coast last night and as far as I know were heading back home after the tournament.

tristans

Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:19 am

qf2048 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Does anyone know if LOSPUMAS, the Argentinian Rugby team are on this flight? They played their last game in the Rugby Championship on the Gold Coast last night and as far as I know were heading back home after the tournament.

Not unless the 8 players stuck in NSW got approval to enter Qld..

qf789

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:55 pm

Qantas to officially launch a tender over the coming days for fleet replacement of narrow body jets, this not only includes replacement of 737 fleet where it will be either 737MAX or A320neo family to replace it but also includes replacement of 717’s and F100’s and the replacement of those jets the A220, Embraer E2 and 737MAX7 are being considered

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 021-10-03/

Qantasman66

Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:58 pm

Hey everyone, i'm just wondering if anyone knows the status of Sri Lankan airlines in Sydney.. are they going to continue to fly to Sydney for the foreseeable future, or are they just here temporary? According to the sydney airport wikipedia page there is no end date for the service.

xwb777

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:50 pm

Emirates and Qantas extends partnership for another five years.

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/e ... al-travel/

BNEFlyer

Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:17 pm

tristans wrote:
qf2048 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Not unless the 8 players stuck in NSW got approval to enter Qld..

They would've been allowed to fly out of BNE if they travelled from Byron Bay to BNE airport without stopping, so it's possible that they were on the flight.

CraigAnderson

Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:35 pm

Just in: Qantas makes its domestic jet contest official, with A320neo & 737 MAX shortlisted for 737-800 replacement, and A220 and Embraer E2 as potential B717 replacements. The order for over 100 jets will be finalised by the end of this year, first deliveries from end of 2023.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... -jet-fleet

SCFlyer

Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:49 am

Speaking of the QF/EK renewal. I wonder if any of VA's former major partnerships of EY, DL, SQ are going to be re-established anytime soon, and if not, will there by any alternative partnerships to replace them?

NZ is out for the foreseeable future considering reports/rumours elsewhere of the simple domestic codeshare partnership with QF bringing more revenue than their former JV partnership with VA.

On a concluding note: EY and DL's partnerships had expired not long ago, whilst the SQ partnership is due to expire at the end of next week.

Obzerva

Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:47 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Speaking of the QF/EK renewal. I wonder if any of VA's former major partnerships of EY, DL, SQ are going to be re-established anytime soon, and if not, will there by any alternative partnerships to replace them?

NZ is out for the foreseeable future considering reports/rumours elsewhere of the simple domestic codeshare partnership with QF bringing more revenue than their former JV partnership with VA.

On a concluding note: EY and DL's partnerships had expired not long ago, whilst the SQ partnership is due to expire at the end of next week.

I think the backbone will be DL / SQ / EY / NH / AC.
Given Alitalia's demise and unsure what is happening to the HNA Group airlines (and the Australia / China relationship in general), they may not make it back in.

VS will be there as a token effort, but can't see too much else in the short term, those partners effectively provide a link to North America, Asia and Europe.

I can imagine there might be a couple of additions if/when VA jumped back in to long haul, eg the limited codeshare agreement they were going to have with Aeromexico.

tullamarine

Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:55 am

Obzerva wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Given Alitalia's demise and unsure what is happening to the HNA Group airlines (and the Australia / China relationship in general), they may not make it back in.

VS will be there as a token effort, but can't see too much else in the short term, those partners effectively provide a link to North America, Asia and Europe.

I can imagine there might be a couple of additions if/when VA jumped back in to long haul, eg the limited codeshare agreement they were going to have with Aeromexico.

I think you are right. These airlines will be keen to keep access to an Australian partner and VA remains their only logical option. In the short to medium term, these airlines will do all the international flying in their partnership which probably suits them anyway; whether VA decides to re-enter long-haul flying with its own metal won't be resolved before the second half of 2022.

a320fan

Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:37 am

SCFlyer wrote:

Speaking of the NZ/QF deal, I’m not sure how long it was approved for, but I’d be very surprised to see a sole VA become any sort of major force on the Tasman post covid, so it’s highly possible any deals between QF and NZ don’t get approved again.

Obzerva

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:12 am

a320fan wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Speaking of the NZ/QF deal, I’m not sure how long it was approved for, but I’d be very surprised to see a sole VA become any sort of major force on the Tasman post covid, so it’s highly possible any deals between QF and NZ don’t get approved again.

I don’t think QF and NZ have a deal across the Tasman, they only codeshare on each other’s domestic flights, which is a way of getting around authorities.
They still compete against each other trans Tasman.

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:48 am

Obzerva wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

AZ were only ever in the picture because of the EY connection, and HNA were only there because they stumped up cash to invest in VA, something they probably won’t be doing again.

I expect simple codeshare/interline with DL/AC/SQ/NH/EY will suffice for the time being. No need for the additional cost and complexity of a full JBA. With the notable exception of Hong Kong/China, this would give Velocity members fairly broad coverage to earn and burn for their international travel. That should keep them from jumping completely to QF, which is possible is VA are domestic/short haul only without Velocity partners in place. Those five airlines will pass off their domestic connections to VA, and pick up VA’s passengers travelling overseas. If/when VA re-enter the long haul market they can consider renegotiating new JBAs as the need requires.

CraigAnderson

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:50 am

SCFlyer wrote:

Think I read that Virgin has hinted at a partnership announcement coming up and EY, DL and SQ were all tipped to be in that. Think also AC, not sure about NH though.

qf789

Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:46 am

Provisional flight plan for EZE-DRW, 8027nm with a flight time of 17 hours and 21 minutes

https://twitter.com/keg767/status/14453 ... 36003?s=21

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:15 pm

qf789 wrote:
Provisional flight plan for EZE-DRW, 8027nm with a flight time of 17 hours and 21 minutes

That’s pretty cool that they are planning to operate so far south, I was expecting the route to stay further north. The alternates appear to be USH and HBA, which does remain within EDTO 330.

SCFlyer

Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:20 pm

Obzerva wrote:
a320fan wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

I don’t think QF and NZ have a deal across the Tasman, they only codeshare on each other’s domestic flights, which is a way of getting around authorities.
They still compete against each other trans Tasman.

Precisely. If the 'marriage of convenience' is bringing in the revenue (especially when rumours/reports suggest the daily revenue is more than their former JV), then it weakens the business case for re-establishing a proper JV with a weaker competitor which doesn't have the domestic coverage it did pre-administration.

Also, if VA does eventually return to Trans Tasman beyond the Queenstown flights, I'd be tipping it's a mixture of timed connections to from AKL, CHC, etc with partner codeshares (e.g. DL, NH, EY, etc) and some O&D timings. The flights may not even be daily to begin with.

tullamarine

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:32 am

Precisely. If the 'marriage of convenience' is bringing in the revenue (especially when rumours/reports suggest the daily revenue is more than their former JV), then it weakens the business case for re-establishing a proper JV with a weaker competitor which doesn't have the domestic coverage it did pre-administration.

The only place I have ever seen this rumour is in your posts. It has never been reported by The Australian or AFR or made as an ASX announcement by either airline. Do you have a source or is it just a feeling?

DavidByrne

Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:35 am

tullamarine wrote:

The only place I have ever seen this rumour is in your posts. It has never been reported by The Australian or AFR or made as an ASX announcement by either airline. Do you have a source or is it just a feeling?

I'm sure I saw a report a month or so back in which NZ expressed great satisfaction with the QF codeshare compared with the VA JV of the past. Sorry I can't give a source either, but I'm pretty confident about it.

SCFlyer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:38 am

tullamarine wrote:

Insider on a different forum/s that had links to VA previously during their administration period. Hence classified as rumours, though some believe it to be the case.

Hence if it's true, the current NZ management will likely want to keep the status quo with their current partnerships, and would've learnt (or learning) from the previous management(s) experiences in AN and VA.

SCFlyer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:52 am

Getting back onto the topic of VA partnerships going forward, it's probably also safe to say that HA will be remaining on the VA partnership portfolio.

Interestingly the presser also refers to an old SYD-HKG-LHR routing with VS, which is no longer possible since VA pulled out of HKG and the HNA group carriers are increasingly unlikely to remain associated with VA for the foreseeable future as they deal with their own problems.

https://newsroom.virginaustralia.com/re ... -promotion

qf2220

Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:25 am

qf789 wrote:

Looks like a fair adjustment to the west on the latter part of the flight. FR24 seems to indicate it will cross the coast somewhere in the Great Australian Bight, closer to the WA border than the NSW/Vic one...

jrfspa320

Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:26 am

qf2220 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Looks like a fair adjustment to the west on the latter part of the flight. FR24 seems to indicate it will cross the coast somewhere in the Great Australian Bight, closer to the WA border than the NSW/Vic one...

Looks like they will get to see Antarctica and Uluru on the same flight!

qf2220

Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:39 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Wow if it happens thats a pretty cool flight to be on.

EK413

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:32 am

qf2220 wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Wow if it happens thats a pretty cool flight to be on.

Qantas59

Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:43 pm

What a journey for VH-ZNH. Thought it interesting that they departed Rwy 29 at EZE and also landed Rwy 29 at DRW.
Forgive me if this has been discussed, but why the QF14 flight number?
Cheers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos