Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tullamarine

Re: Australian aviation thread - October 2021

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:16 am

First ex-SilkAir 737 (was 9V-MGI) now in VA colors as VH-IWQ. I assume she still has to have its interior changed to VA standard in BNE. Interestingly, it looks like there is no name for her as yet.

Qf648

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:34 am

Sorry Alan,

Adelaide Perth is 70 bucks more expensive one way that pre covid

gpasternak

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:04 am

Very interested to see how QF, VA, Rex etc will respond to the (potentiallly based on percent vaccinated) lessening of restrictions for interstate arrivals into Queensland. Still bummed though to see 14 days of home quarantine for international arrivals for the forseeable future (goal appears to be 90% vaccinated). Feel somewhat bad for the airline planners due to the uncertainty.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-18/ ... /100547720

log0008

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:13 am

The QLD border decision for domestic travel quarantine free from Dec 17 sets us up for a proper recovery of the domestic markets from the end of the year. Expect all states but NT and WA to be open for vaccinated travelers by Christmas. Everyones focused on the international market but it will be the domestic market where the real boom will happen initally.

tullamarine

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:20 am

log0008 wrote:
The QLD border decision for domestic travel quarantine free from Dec 17 sets us up for a proper recovery of the domestic markets from the end of the year. Expect all states but NT and WA to be open for vaccinated travelers by Christmas. Everyones focused on the international market but it will be the domestic market where the real boom will happen initally.

You'd think so but some people may still be a bit leery about heading to Queensland unless they can guarantee that there will be no more lock-outs or forced quarantining of those who have already arrived.

log0008

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:21 am

tullamarine wrote:
log0008 wrote:

You'd think so but some people may still be a bit leery about heading to Queensland unless they can guarantee that there will be no more lock-outs or forced quarantining of those who have already arrived.

QLD has made it quite firm today, the 17th not later, however, it could go fwd. Leaders aren't stupid. Once you've set vaccine-related goals your committing political suicide if you don't follow them.

SCFlyer

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:35 am

It's likely the Qld timelines announced today could probably be brought forward a week or two based on numbers across the other sites.

The Qld Government may possibly be 'underestimating' the target vax rates deliberately, considering numerous unofficial sources has a early/mid Nov date for 70% and late Nov/early Dec date for 80%

qf789

Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:22 am

Singapore Airlines to operate repatriation flight to DRW on 2 and 8 Nov 21

https://twitter.com/theaeronetwork/stat ... 76709?s=21

VHOGU

Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:37 am

tullamarine wrote:

First ex-SilkAir 737 (was 9V-MGI) now in VA colors as VH-IWQ. I assume she still has to have its interior changed to VA standard in BNE. Interestingly, it looks like there is no name for her as yet.

IWQ and IJQ will retain the SilkAir seats. Seat-back power in economy will be deactivated initially. They will have wireless IFE like the rest of the fleet.

a320fan

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:15 am

tullamarine wrote:

Did they just paint the tail and add decals? There’s a noticeable difference in the white on the tail section and the rest of the aircraft, which also features quite a few dirt and weather marks.

CostaDelSol90

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:22 am

She was completely repainted. The 'dirt' you're talking about on the bottom are stringers. These are structural and are visable on all aircraft from certain angles. You can also see the different colour of the tail is due to the light also - the sun reflection on the top right of the V shows the whole tail is facing more direct sunlight than the rest of the aircraft. You can see this same lighting gradient on the engines.

SCFlyer

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:55 am

VHOGU wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

IWQ and IJQ will retain the SilkAir seats. Seat-back power in economy will be deactivated initially. They will have wireless IFE like the rest of the fleet.

Many articles are suggesting that the VA seats from the 737s returned to the lessor (and won't be returning to VA) has been removed from the returned jets and will be refitted on the ex-SilkAir jets eventually.

Fuling

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:56 am

a320fan wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Did they just paint the tail and add decals? There’s a noticeable difference in the white on the tail section and the rest of the aircraft, which also features quite a few dirt and weather marks.

It definitely looks like that. The lines between the titles/decals are very distinct, and the white around these titles and decals are obviously whiter. Even looking under the fuselage behind the nose gear, there is substantial build up of dirt. I'm sure that hasn't built up between repaint and arrival in BNE.

RyanairGuru

Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:22 pm

log0008 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
log0008 wrote:

QLD has made it quite firm today, the 17th not later, however, it could go fwd. Leaders aren't stupid. Once you've set vaccine-related goals your committing political suicide if you don't follow them.

It’s actually very smart on all accounts.

It gives interstate arrivals and tourism operators (don’t forget, tourism is the single largest employer in QLD) some certainty on Christmas and school holidays.

It also gives the ‘complacent’ there’s-no-Covid-here-so-why-should-I-bother-getting-vaccinated two months notice to get vabbed. Rather than anti-vax per se, this complacency factor is an issue in both QLD and WA. Setting a date when people from Sydney and Melbourne will be streaming in is the best way to give them a kick up the backside.

Velocity7

Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:33 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:

It’s actually very smart on all accounts.

It gives interstate arrivals and tourism operators (don’t forget, tourism is the single largest employer in QLD) some certainty on Christmas and school holidays.

It also gives the ‘complacent’ there’s-no-Covid-here-so-why-should-I-bother-getting-vaccinated two months notice to get vabbed. Rather than anti-vax per se, this complacency factor is an issue in both QLD and WA. Setting a date when people from Sydney and Melbourne will be streaming in is the best way to give them a kick up the backside.

Whilst it pains me to say it, I actually agree - I think it is a smart approach by the QLD govt and does give all industries significant certainty.

Thatcher

Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:57 pm

Qf648 wrote:
Sorry Alan,

Adelaide Perth is 70 bucks more expensive one way that pre covid

Before airline deregulation in the late 1980s (?) many of us would catch the train or the Greyhound bus intrastate / interstate.

Let us hope we don't get back there!

redroo

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:23 pm

Another reason I think demand will exceed supply is on the supply side. It will be a while before SQ and CX are back up to 4, 5 frequencies a day into the Aussie capitals. Supply will be constrained for a while. QF was only a fraction of the supply ex Australia pre pandemic.

Demand will be high, and very high during the holidays. Business demand will be limited for a long time.

tullamarine

Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:26 pm

redroo wrote:
Another reason I think demand will exceed supply is on the supply side. It will be a while before SQ and CX are back up to 4, 5 frequencies a day into the Aussie capitals. Supply will be constrained for a while. QF was only a fraction of the supply ex Australia pre pandemic.

Demand will be high, and very high during the holidays. Business demand will be limited for a long time.

SQ will be moving to 17 services a week to SYD immediately. They are already operating these services but only 10 had pax and even then it was only about 25 seats per plane. Obviously, like QF, services to other ports will come back more slowly depending on the quarantine arrangements.

UA has been operating throughout the pandemic and are upgauging to 77Ws on its SYD services from LAX and SFO from 1/11. DL and AA will immediately make all their seats on their daily services available to SYD.

The ME3 have operated throughout the pandemic and will immediately start selling all the seats they are allowed. Once again, this will be SYD first with other ports following depending on quarantine restrictions. I assume airlines such as JL, MH and CX will be similar though HKG is being very restrictive so they will take longer as there isn't any transit through HKG as yet. Chinese airlines won't return to pax services for a while but there is basically no demand for China either at the moment.

log0008

Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:05 am

I think QF will benefit a bit from people wanting direct flights and having an Aussie airline. If rules change again you've got more chance of getting a refund out of an Australian company. Especially with London, I expect people to prefer the direct service if possible. Transitting adds additional complexities for a while re-testing etc.

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:30 am

tullamarine wrote:
redroo wrote:

SQ will be moving to 17 services a week to SYD immediately. They are already operating these services but only 10 had pax and even then it was only about 25 seats per plane. Obviously, like QF, services to other ports will come back more slowly depending on the quarantine arrangements.

UA has been operating throughout the pandemic and are upgauging to 77Ws on its SYD services from LAX and SFO from 1/11. DL and AA will immediately make all their seats on their daily services available to SYD.

The ME3 have operated throughout the pandemic and will immediately start selling all the seats they are allowed. Once again, this will be SYD first with other ports following depending on quarantine restrictions. I assume airlines such as JL, MH and CX will be similar though HKG is being very restrictive so they will take longer as there isn't any transit through HKG as yet. Chinese airlines won't return to pax services for a while but there is basically no demand for China either at the moment.

While I agree that CX won’t bounce back right away in the same way that SQ did, as Hong Kong SAR is still closed to most international arrivals and is generally being more conservative than Singapore, I’m confused by your comment about transit. My step-mother flew SYD-HKG-LHR with CX three weeks ago, no issues at all with transiting through HKG.

qf789

Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:31 am

Qantas has been charged over firing a cleaner in February 2020 who addressed concerns over staff being exposed to COVID-19 while cleaning aircraft

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 5918f.html

cskok8

Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:29 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
redroo wrote:

While I agree that CX won’t bounce back right away in the same way that SQ did, as Hong Kong SAR is still closed to most international arrivals and is generally being more conservative than Singapore, I’m confused by your comment about transit. My step-mother flew SYD-HKG-LHR with CX three weeks ago, no issues at all with transiting through HKG.

Transiting through HKG is easy. Getting in is different.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_MY/ ... tions.html

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:35 am

cskok8 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Transiting through HKG is easy. Getting in is different.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_MY/ ... tions.html

That makes sense. I knew HKSAR had very restrictive entry and quarantine restrictions, but the comment I was responding to said that there wasn’t any transit through HKG, which is what I was querying.

a19901213

Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:20 pm

Given how expensive and troublesome it is to go overseas at the moment if people just want to have a vacation I think most would still travel domestically. (Just my 2 cents)
Can't wait to see the domestic terminal booming again.

dredgy

Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:21 pm

a19901213 wrote:
Given how expensive and troublesome it is to go overseas at the moment if people just want to have a vacation I think most would still travel domestically. (Just my 2 cents)

I’ve just booked Fiji over Christmas. Am curious to see how it goes. In Queensland so almost definitely going to be quarantine at home for longer than I will be overseas for.
But I expect now that there’s a level of certainty, international travel will get popular quick.

BNEFlyer

Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:29 am

VHOGU wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

The MI seats will be removed and replaced with new VA seats prior to entering service.

qf789

Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:19 am

Cathay Pacific to offer 10 weekly to SYD from 1 Nov 21, all services operated by A350-1000

https://twitter.com/exec_traveller/stat ... 91300?s=21

Velocity7

Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:40 am

BNEFlyer wrote:
The MI seats will be removed and replaced with new VA seats prior to entering service.

Have these ex-MI aircraft got BSI?

I've never flown on an MI 737 but have plenty on the 319/320's which were pretty tired inside with horribly uncomfortable seats so good they are getting swapped out. The service was always impeccable though

SCFlyer

Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:57 am

Velocity7 wrote:
BNEFlyer wrote:

I've never flown on an MI 737 but have plenty on the 319/320's which were pretty tired inside with horribly uncomfortable seats so good they are getting swapped out. The service was always impeccable though

The ex MI/SQ aircraft would've been delivered between 2014 and 2015, so I would assume they heave BSI. Roughly 6-7 years old.

Singapore 777

Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:33 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Velocity7 wrote:
BNEFlyer wrote:

The ex MI/SQ aircraft would've been delivered between 2014 and 2015, so I would assume they heave BSI. Roughly 6-7 years old.

All the ex-MI 737-800s have the BSI cabin.

tullamarine

Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:48 am

Velocity7 wrote:
BNEFlyer wrote:

BSI was introduced in 2010 but remained optional until about 2015. Since then, I believe all new 737NGs were delivered with BSI. At one point I think VA were receiving newbuilds concurrently, some with old interior (final VU* deliveries) and some with BSI (first of YI*) series.

anstar

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:29 am

a19901213 wrote:

Domestic accomodation isn't cheap eiither... some of the prices I've seen are eye watering.

qf789

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:55 am

ANA to operate 5 weekly HND-SYD from 1 November, 787-9 operating however depending on aircraft availability 787-8 may operate as well

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... yo-flights

qf789

Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:01 am

Qantas says it expects to have 100% of pre COVID domestic capacity by January next year. SYD-MEL flights which were 55 flights a day pre COVID and currently operating daily will see around 15 flights a day in the first week of November increasing to 30-40 flights by Christmas

https://www.investing.com/news/stock-ma ... ry-2650316

jrfspa320

Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:11 am

qf789 wrote:
Qantas says it expects to have 100% of pre COVID domestic capacity by January next year. SYD-MEL flights which were 55 flights a day pre COVID and currently operating daily will see around 15 flights a day in the first week of November increasing to 30-40 flights by Christmas

I personally think SYD-MEL will struggle to get back to pre-covid, its the most corporate heavy market in the country. So many business will never get back to the level of business travel that existed pre-covid. Huge numbers used to travel between the two on day / overnight trips. If there is any requirement for testing forget it.

log0008

Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:18 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I personally think SYD-MEL will struggle to get back to pre-covid, its the most corporate heavy market in the country. So many business will never get back to the level of business travel that existed pre-covid. Huge numbers used to travel between the two on day / overnight trips. If there is any requirement for testing forget it.

Victoria has already ditched the test requirement to NSW.

jrfspa320

Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:25 am

log0008 wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Victoria has already ditched the test requirement to NSW.

Fair enough thats good news. Looking at Europe and the USA the leisure routes are the ones with the strongest demand. Business heavy routes are still hugely down.

Kent350787

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:05 am

Good to see the confidence from CX and NH to commit to passengers in cabins retaing pretty much the weekly number fo flights currently. CX has been using 77W in the last few weeks for at least some days rather than the A35K. NH has been pretty consistently 789 anyway

log0008

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:16 am

Victoria will join NSW is scraping all forms of quarantine from Nov 1.

atal17

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:51 am

log0008 wrote:

No official confirmation yet - but it is now being reported by the ABC and ET

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... travellers

log0008

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:54 am

atal17 wrote:
log0008 wrote:

I have some inside information, airlines and Melbourne Airport were briefed this afternoon

tullamarine

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:54 am

atal17 wrote:
log0008 wrote:

I assume we will hear officially from Lyell Strambi from Melbourne Airport and the state premier tomorrow. Following that, I'd expect to see QF, SQ, UA etc all make announcements on their ramping up of pax services from as early as 1/11. I was going to SIN for work in January; this may now be late November.

FL420FT

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:49 am

Also published today. QF has published QF12 to depart from LAX at 2100 on 30 Oct to arrive into SYD at 0600 on 01Nov. The plan is to use VH-ZND (Yam Dreaming)

A350OZ

Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:51 am

Just seeing now an Air Vanuatu 738 NF904 on its way into HBA from BNE. Assume this is to pick up/fly in Vanuatuans for the fruit picking programme?

VHOGU

Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:09 am

BNEFlyer wrote:
VHOGU wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

That’s not true. Virgin crew have been briefed on the cabin differences between these aircraft and existing 737’s. They definitely will be entering service with the silkair seats.

VHOGU

Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:10 am

Singapore 777 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
Velocity7 wrote:

All the ex-MI 737-800s have the BSI cabin.

All are BSI but are configured slightly different. These aircraft have different galleys and an extra control panel.

zkncj

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:19 pm

VHOGU wrote:
BNEFlyer wrote:
VHOGU wrote:

That’s not true. Virgin crew have been briefed on the cabin differences between these aircraft and existing 737’s. They definitely will be entering service with the silkair seats.

Bonus for the J passengers then, with the slightly better J seat in the MI 738 fleet.

A350OZ

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:46 pm

zkncj wrote:
VHOGU wrote:
BNEFlyer wrote:

Bonus for the J passengers then, with the slightly better J seat in the MI 738 fleet.

What is different/better? Flew MI 738 in J back in Oct 2019 on a short hop between KUL and SIN and it seemed very much the same to me. Maybe a little more legroom and softer seat padding, but otherwise a very similar product.

qf789

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:55 pm

Qantas has today announced some international flight changes

New route - SYD-DEL beginning on 6 Dec 21 initially 3 weekly increasing to daily operating to end of March 22 with A330, outbound will go via DRW

SYD-SIN to resume from23 Nov 21, initially 3 weekly increasing to daily

JQ to fly to SIN from both DRW and MEL

SYD-NAN brought forward to 7 Dec 21, 4 weekly while JQ will return to the route from 17 Dec 21

SYD -JNB returns 3 months earlier from 5 Jan 22, 3 weekly

SYD-BKK returns from 14 Jan 22, 5 weekly

SYD-HKT, JQ to operate from 12 Jan 22, 3 weekly

A380 will be brought forward to April 22 with 2 returning for SYD-LAX

Qantas looking at taking remaining 3 787-9’s earlier than expected

JQ to return 5 788’s to service to start with

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... r-opening/

qf789

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:12 pm

Singapore Airlines to add A380 to SYD from 1 Dec 21

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... december-1

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos