Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

portola2727

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q4 2021

Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:49 am

Blerg wrote:
Pinto wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I don't have the numbers but I would suppose O&D demand is larger from ORD to ATH than it is from IAD? I understand IAD is a major hub for them but their competition is also offering transfer options. Anyone know how IAD-ATH performed this year?

I know Sky Express signed an agreement with AA (I suppose interline), do UA and A3 cooperate?

Everything I looked at the flight it was pretty full especially in PreiumPlus.

Bow the reason I think UA picked IAD over ORD is the stage length. Looking at AA's ORD - ATH it is about a 24:30 round trip for the aircraft. So while AA can swap out the plane something like ORD - ATH - ORD - Late Night LHR, UA doesn't have any late night 788 flights from ORD. While IAD - ATH fits perfectly into the window of 22:40 round-trip. Given the aircraft IAS makes sense in aircraft planning terms. Also both aircraft are on the ground for approx 2 hours in ATH.

Makes me wonder if demand stays as strong (US-Greece) if UA might rather introduce flights from California to Athens. Maybe they'd rather be first from there rather than to fight AA from ORD. They seem to have a large base in SFO as from what I know UA isn't as big in LAX.

California to Athens is too low yielding. Otherwise, we would have seen airlines launch routes to either SFO or LAX to ATH. Arguably, the Greek diaspora in LA is much bigger than SF and Greece depends more on tourism rather than tech. AA or UA or DL would be better off funneling their passengers through ORD/EWR/JFK/PHL/ATL/MIA/BOS/IAD to get to Athens.

Blerg

Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:50 am

portola2727 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Pinto wrote:

Everything I looked at the flight it was pretty full especially in PreiumPlus.

Bow the reason I think UA picked IAD over ORD is the stage length. Looking at AA's ORD - ATH it is about a 24:30 round trip for the aircraft. So while AA can swap out the plane something like ORD - ATH - ORD - Late Night LHR, UA doesn't have any late night 788 flights from ORD. While IAD - ATH fits perfectly into the window of 22:40 round-trip. Given the aircraft IAS makes sense in aircraft planning terms. Also both aircraft are on the ground for approx 2 hours in ATH.

Makes me wonder if demand stays as strong (US-Greece) if UA might rather introduce flights from California to Athens. Maybe they'd rather be first from there rather than to fight AA from ORD. They seem to have a large base in SFO as from what I know UA isn't as big in LAX.

California to Athens is too low yielding. Otherwise, we would have seen airlines launch routes to either SFO or LAX to ATH. Arguably, the Greek diaspora in LA is much bigger than SF and Greece depends more on tourism rather than tech. AA or UA or DL would be better off funneling their passengers through ORD/EWR/JFK/PHL/ATL/MIA/BOS/IAD to get to Athens.

Didn't AA announce their plans to launch Athens from one of their hubs in Texas. I think I read somewhere about Houston. I think these would be even less likely than flights from California.

intotheair

Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:03 am

There was some discussion about this with the latest TATL announcements. UA has a pretty impressive TATL network out of SFO, but it seems pretty clear that they'd rather serve more fringe markets like ATH from the eastern hubs, which can draw more easily on connections from the whole country.

Next summer, SFO will have: LHR, FRA, MUC, CDG, AMS, TLV, and ZRH. DUB was announced as an eighth destination for summer 2020 but never flew, and for 2022, UA added a second EWR-DUB instead.

My vote is that I'd love to see a SFO-BRU someday, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

ChaseP

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:08 am

Maintenance Update:
N13138 (757-200) entered MCO (UA2719/17) for maintenance after APU fire in Boston.

Paint Update:
N812UA (Airbus 319) entered AMA (UA2749/17) for paint.
N77518 (737-800) is scheduled to enter AMA (UA2745/18) for paint. Note:Marlon Green aircraft

highvoltageeee

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:40 am

Guys where And what are the frequencies that United flies to India?

Sfo to Delhi is daily right?
Ord to Delhi is daily right ?
Ewr to Delhi is daily right ?
Ewr to Mumbai is daily right ?
Are they planning to open any more routes ?

Polot

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:44 am

intotheair wrote:
There was some discussion about this with the latest TATL announcements. UA has a pretty impressive TATL network out of SFO, but it seems pretty clear that they'd rather serve more fringe markets like ATH from the eastern hubs, which can draw more easily on connections from the whole country.

Next summer, SFO will have: LHR, FRA, MUC, CDG, AMS, TLV, and ZRH. DUB was announced as an eighth destination for summer 2020 but never flew, and for 2022, UA added a second EWR-DUB instead.

My vote is that I'd love to see a SFO-BRU someday, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

West coast-Europe is lower yielding, as prices are often similar as from east coast but flight lengths are of course longer, so to be successful there needs to be healthy business travel on the route. You will never see something like ATH served from SFO on UA. Aside from the fact that most airlines can’t even make ATH work year round from the east coast, that is ridiculously long flight for a heavy leisure oriented market. SFO-ATH is longer than EWR-NRT.

fun2fly

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:52 am

adamblang wrote:
OlympicATH wrote:
After EWR, IAD is UA’s secondary transatlantic hub, so not a big surprise that came before ORD. I don’t think they ever launched any European route out of ORD which they didn’t already fly from IAD, with the exception of MXP this year (which is a bit of an oddity, not sure if anyone here is any insight - perhaps cargo related).

I have no doubts about the MXP>ORD flight being a good one. UA has really upped their cargo game also to supplement as noted.

It is surprising that the IAD one is still not being run. I took it a few times pre merger. Anyone know how long that flight ran? Of all the carriers flying, UA certainly has the metal to make it happen if needed.

Nicknuzzii

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:54 am

[photoid][/photoid]
highvoltageeee wrote:

I know both the EWR routes are daily.

TrafficCop

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:07 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
highvoltageeee wrote:

Currently all 4 routes are daily..

SFO-BLR is now planned to start late May 2022. As always things are subject to change these days.
No other routes announced but I'm sure they are looking at either additional frequencies or new destinations in India.
Maybe HYD, MAA or even CCU. Just a few guesses.

TrafficCop

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:00 pm

VC10er wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have not checked in to A.net in ages so I have missed a lot. I intent to go through this thread from the start. I have a few questions that may have been answered on previous pages. Please excuse me if I am repeating news.

First, any word on timing for the 737MAX-10?
Second, I remember UA presenting a new color palate that would be used in different places and ways, but nothing specific at the time. Since then the Purple was introduced in Premium Economy on WB aircraft. I was wondering if we may see the use of a new color given all the new aircraft orders?
Last: anything at all on the United Lie-Flat seat design for narrow body aircraft (say 737MAX-10 and A321XLR?) - I think with JetBlue having such a great flat bed seat, UA would be looking to for a competitive product (perhaps with Polaris look) and perhaps a new color?

I hope everyone is happy and healthy!
Richard

Welcome back. Will try and answer some of these but if wrong I'm sure A.net will correct me!!!

The Max 10 I believe is planned to start deliveries in 2023 but that of course depends on how long it takes to get certified. With 250 on order would be nice to start seeing them flying.

As the repaint project picks up steam I don't expect any major changes for a few years. A tweak maybe. Of course just as we get about 90% paint completed we will change livery again.

The Lie flat issue is interesting with the 70 321neo order. Will we do a Lie flat there and use on Transcons versus the Max 10 or will both get it. The 321XLR will have it just not sure in what variation. They are planned to start delivery in 2024 so a bit early yet

With your fondness for the 737-800 hopefully you will be able to try out the 737 Max8 out or EWR soon. A quick scan of schedule showed 10 different destinations out of EWR today(18th) on the Max8.
These all have the new interior with IFE screens at all seats. You will not want to get back on standard 800 again :lol:

With the entire fleet scheduled to get retro fitted it will take some time but will be worth it in the end. The schedule was aggressive with retro fit complete by 2025.

On the Polaris front the High J version of the 767 will now have 24 aircraft. The 5 Diamond seat aircraft are either in progress or awaiting there turn(All 5 are out of schedule). The 14 2 Class with Polaris is now scheduled to get PE also. The configuration has not been leaked yet..

All other WB's(excluding the 772's used for mostly Domestic flights)now have Polaris and PE except 13 789's and the 764's. The 764's are scheduled to get and hopefully will start when the 767 High J or 789's are completed. Almost there!!

Hope this helps.

airboss787

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:13 pm

TrafficCop wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
highvoltageeee wrote:

SFO-BLR is now planned to start late May 2022. As always things are subject to change these days.
No other routes announced but I'm sure they are looking at either additional frequencies or new destinations in India.

The next route, I would think has to be EWR-BLR. I would think expansion to BOM and BLR will come before anything to MAA, HYD or CCU which is unlikely for at least 5-7 years if not more.

OlympicATH

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Blerg wrote:
I don't have the numbers but I would suppose O&D demand is larger from ORD to ATH than it is from IAD? I understand IAD is a major hub for them but their competition is also offering transfer options. Anyone know how IAD-ATH performed this year?

I know Sky Express signed an agreement with AA (I suppose interline), do UA and A3 cooperate?

Athens Airport reports the numbers. In 2018 (before AA's ORD-ATH launched), O&D between Athens and Chicago was 85,500 vs. "only" 32,500 between Athens and Washington. Chicago is the bigger metro area and has a much bigger Greek community.
That being said, IAD is UA's hub, they would have faced competition from AA at ORD and as others said IAD-ATH is a shorter stage length. So it made more sense.

I don't think the AA/Sky Express deal was anything more than a simple interlining - Sky Express blew it out of proportion a bit for marketing reasons... Pretty sure A3 has been interlining with all US3 for years.
A3 and UA are not very close though from what I know. They don't codeshare (unlike A3 and AC).

CALMSP

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:11 pm

fun2fly wrote:
adamblang wrote:
OlympicATH wrote:
After EWR, IAD is UA’s secondary transatlantic hub, so not a big surprise that came before ORD. I don’t think they ever launched any European route out of ORD which they didn’t already fly from IAD, with the exception of MXP this year (which is a bit of an oddity, not sure if anyone here is any insight - perhaps cargo related).

I have no doubts about the MXP>ORD flight being a good one. UA has really upped their cargo game also to supplement as noted.

It is surprising that the IAD one is still not being run. I took it a few times pre merger. Anyone know how long that flight ran? Of all the carriers flying, UA certainly has the metal to make it happen if needed.

I think it will still be interesting to see how this route will play out. While we all wait to see how business travel returns, MXP simply doesn't draw the tourism that the likes of other locations pull from. While these cargo markets are great, its still not gonna be something that supplements the route as the only reason why they will fly.

SFOA380

Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:47 pm

intotheair wrote:

Not sure about UA but SN was in SF scoping out crew hotels pre-pandemic. Lots and lots of pharma in and around SF so I think we'll see a BRU flight at some point.

ContinentalEWR

Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:48 pm

CALMSP wrote:
fun2fly wrote:
adamblang wrote:

I think it will still be interesting to see how this route will play out. While we all wait to see how business travel returns, MXP simply doesn't draw the tourism that the likes of other locations pull from. While these cargo markets are great, its still not gonna be something that supplements the route as the only reason why they will fly.

MXP is far more a business and trade market over tourism. From some East Coast gateways, it works year-round, whereas FCO doesn't. Pre-pandemic, UA was on its way to reshaping its US-Italy portfolio into a very broad one, destination wise, with EWR-FCO/MXP/VCE/NAP/PMO, IAD-FCO, ORD-FCO. MXP sits in one of the wealthiest regions of Italy and the heart of its economic engine, so cargo yes, is likely a major driver of this route. In the absence of a real Italian long haul carrier with MXP service, this may work, but I have my doubts that ORD-MXP is going to stick.

amtravels

Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:06 pm

TrafficCop wrote:
VC10er wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have not checked in to A.net in ages so I have missed a lot. I intent to go through this thread from the start. I have a few questions that may have been answered on previous pages. Please excuse me if I am repeating news.

Second, I remember UA presenting a new color palate that would be used in different places and ways, but nothing specific at the time. Since then the Purple was introduced in Premium Economy on WB aircraft. I was wondering if we may see the use of a new color given all the new aircraft orders?
Last: anything at all on the United Lie-Flat seat design for narrow body aircraft (say 737MAX-10 and A321XLR?) - I think with JetBlue having such a great flat bed seat, UA would be looking to for a competitive product (perhaps with Polaris look) and perhaps a new color?

Richard

Welcome back. Will try and answer some of these but if wrong I'm sure A.net will correct me!!!

The Max 10 I believe is planned to start deliveries in 2023 but that of course depends on how long it takes to get certified. With 250 on order would be nice to start seeing them flying.

As the repaint project picks up steam I don't expect any major changes for a few years. A tweak maybe. Of course just as we get about 90% paint completed we will change livery again.

The Lie flat issue is interesting with the 70 321neo order. Will we do a Lie flat there and use on Transcons versus the Max 10 or will both get it. The 321XLR will have it just not sure in what variation. They are planned to start delivery in 2024 so a bit early yet

With your fondness for the 737-800 hopefully you will be able to try out the 737 Max8 out or EWR soon. A quick scan of schedule showed 10 different destinations out of EWR today(18th) on the Max8.
These all have the new interior with IFE screens at all seats. You will not want to get back on standard 800 again :lol:

With the entire fleet scheduled to get retro fitted it will take some time but will be worth it in the end. The schedule was aggressive with retro fit complete by 2025.

On the Polaris front the High J version of the 767 will now have 24 aircraft. The 5 Diamond seat aircraft are either in progress or awaiting there turn(All 5 are out of schedule). The 14 2 Class with Polaris is now scheduled to get PE also. The configuration has not been leaked yet..

All other WB's(excluding the 772's used for mostly Domestic flights)now have Polaris and PE except 13 789's and the 764's. The 764's are scheduled to get and hopefully will start when the 767 High J or 789's are completed. Almost there!!

Hope this helps.

Welcome back! I always enjoy your posts, VC10er. In regards to color palette, UA is now using “Premium Purple” on the economyPlus headrests in their signature interior, but that’s the only new introduction of color I see from the palette in the new interior. Previous Y+ seat headrests were a dark blue, I believe.

cosyr

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:23 am

Now that UA wants to significantly draw down 50 seat flying, and move some of the remaining to larger CR5's, what are their plans for IAH's terminal B south, a terminal that was designed almost specifically for CR2's and ER4's?

A similar situation would also exist at IAD's Concourse A, but there are already discussions happening for leaving that space and building new spaces at IAD.

dmstorm22

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:57 am

amtravels wrote:
TrafficCop wrote:
VC10er wrote:
Hello everyone,

Richard

Hope this helps.

Welcome back! I always enjoy your posts, VC10er. In regards to color palette, UA is now using “Premium Purple” on the economyPlus headrests in their signature interior, but that’s the only new introduction of color I see from the palette in the new interior. Previous Y+ seat headrests were a dark blue, I believe.

My recent BOM-EWR flight had their teal/green type color for the pillows in econ, with the pillows being the ones with the slit in the middle to wrap around your head.

Admittedly don't know if this is new, but was an unexpected splash of color for me, and made up at least 10% for the fact my upgrade didn't clear.

Scarebus34

Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:17 am

dmstorm22 wrote:
amtravels wrote:
TrafficCop wrote:

Hope this helps.

My recent BOM-EWR flight had their teal/green type color for the pillows in econ, with the pillows being the ones with the slit in the middle to wrap around your head.

Admittedly don't know if this is new, but was an unexpected splash of color for me, and made up at least 10% for the fact my upgrade didn't clear.

They are new and have been tested on certain flights. They will be provisioned on all international flights starting Nov 17th/18th. Here is the pillow for those that aren't sure what you're talking about. Image

portola2727

Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:07 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
amtravels wrote:

They are new and have been tested on certain flights. They will be provisioned on all international flights starting Nov 17th/18th. Here is the pillow for those that aren't sure what you're talking about. Image

Had these same pillows on my SFO-DEL and DEL-SFO flights in August/September 2021. Really comfortable :D

UAinAUS

Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:40 am

UAX Update:

CR2:
N982SW entered ROW for paint
N925SW entered ROW for paint
N679SA exited ROW in EvoBlu livery
N932SW exited ROW in EvoBlu livery

CR5:
N578GJ exited FTW in EvoBlu livery, ferried STL awaiting service entry
N516LR entered FTW for paint

CR7:
N582GJ (ex-6Z, 2009 build) awaiting delivery for CR5 conversion

airboss787

Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:57 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
amtravels wrote:

Looks quite comfortable and probably makes the travel pillow I used to carry redundant.

It looks like a butt lol!

quiet1

Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:26 pm

airboss787 wrote:

Now, that's an image I probably won't be able to erase from my mind...

adamblang

Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:59 pm

The Singapore flight will be a VTL flight:

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/u ... 85.article

jplatts

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:05 pm

I asked the question regarding the possibilities of UA re-adding CLE-MIA nonstop service and UA adding CLE-LAX nonstop service in a discussion at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1467101 with the recent adds that AA, AS, F9, WN, and NK have made at MIA, but there weren't any responses in that discussion.

joeljack

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:13 pm

jplatts wrote:
I asked the question regarding the possibilities of UA re-adding CLE-MIA nonstop service and UA adding CLE-LAX nonstop service in a discussion at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1467101 with the recent adds that AA, AS, F9, WN, and NK have made at MIA, but there weren't any responses in that discussion.

United is already flying daily CLE-LAX with a 737-900.

jplatts

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:24 pm

joeljack wrote:

I actually meant the possibility of UA adding LAX-MIA nonstop service instead of UA adding CLE-LAX nonstop service.

adamblang

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:36 pm

jplatts wrote:
joeljack wrote:

I actually meant the possibility of UA adding LAX-MIA nonstop service instead of UA adding CLE-LAX nonstop service.

United is already flying daily CLE-FLL with a 737-900.

Cmac787

Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:11 pm

N30401 737-900 has exited ROW storage and has entered MIA MX for Heavy MX and service reentry.

dmstorm22

Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:44 pm

airboss787 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

Looks quite comfortable and probably makes the travel pillow I used to carry redundant.

Honestly, wasn't all that comfortable. Probably more useful than their earlier regular pillow but definitely would suggest you continue to use your own!

Cardude2

Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:52 pm

speaking of which, update to the polaris mod:

763:
N657UA (stored)
N658UA (stored)

789:
N26952
N35953
N13954
N38955
N45956
N27957
N27958
N27965
N26966
N26967
N24972
N24973
N24974

And all 764's

highvoltageeee

Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:00 am

airboss787 wrote:
TrafficCop wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]

The next route, I would think has to be EWR-BLR. I would think expansion to BOM and BLR will come before anything to MAA, HYD or CCU which is unlikely for at least 5-7 years if not more.

Thanks for the intimation. Did United flew any of the grounded 777 pw earlier to India? Wanted to see if they will free up some of the Dreamliners.

DLHAM

Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:03 am

highvoltageeee wrote:
airboss787 wrote:
TrafficCop wrote:

Thanks for the intimation. Did United flew any of the grounded 777 pw earlier to India? Wanted to see if they will free up some of the Dreamliners.

AFAIK they only flew the ex Continental GE 777s to India, and the 777-300ERs of course.

portola2727

Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:24 am

Cardude2 wrote:

763:
N657UA (stored)
N658UA (stored)

789:
N26952
N35953
N13954
N38955
N45956
N27957
N27958
N27965
N26966
N26967
N24972
N24973
N24974

And all 764's

Wonder when N29975 will get the Polaris Mod. I flew N29975 from DEL-SFO and I had the unfortunate opportunity to sit in seat 38A(aka the seat with no window) :(

Okcflyer

Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:32 am

portola2727 wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:

763:
N657UA (stored)
N658UA (stored)

789:
N26952
N35953
N13954
N38955
N45956
N27957
N27958
N27965
N26966
N26967
N24972
N24973
N24974

And all 764's

Wonder when N29975 will get the Polaris Mod. I flew N29975 from DEL-SFO and I had the unfortunate opportunity to sit in seat 38A(aka the seat with no window) :(

Already has Polaris

rjbesikof

Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:43 am

IAD-AMS resumes 12/11
IAH-AMS resumes 12/16
Are December/January already set.

TWA772LR

Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:46 am

rjbesikof wrote:
IAD-AMS resumes 12/11
IAH-AMS resumes 12/16
Are December/January already set.

Glad to see more AMS service coming back. Both pairings are currently showing a non-hi-J 763, while ORD and EWR are 788 and 78J, respectively. In the past IAD-AMS used to be 3 class 763 with IPTE and IAH-AMS was a long time 77E route, and twice daily at some point I believe.

Just need SFO-AMS to return and then United's AMS service will be back to the full complement of hub service pre-covid (aircraft gauge notwithstanding).

portola2727

Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:33 am

Okcflyer wrote:
portola2727 wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:

763:
N657UA (stored)
N658UA (stored)

789:
N26952
N35953
N13954
N38955
N45956
N27957
N27958
N27965
N26966
N26967
N24972
N24973
N24974

And all 764's

Already has Polaris

Nvm. Looking at my.Flightradar24.com I realized I flew N29975 from SFO-DEL and N26967 from DEL-SFO. Good to see that N26967 will get the Polaris mod so that I hopefully won't be sitting in the dreaded window seat area of row 38.

calpsafltskeds

Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:58 pm

With the 772 GE and 77W fleet running pretty much full bore (except for 1 each in HKG maint), I wouldn't expect N77012 to go into paint soon.
The first couple weeks of December are low periods, maybe then or after the new year is more likely.

N93109

Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:58 pm

OlympicATH wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Athens Airport reports the numbers. In 2018 (before AA's ORD-ATH launched), O&D between Athens and Chicago was 85,500 vs. "only" 32,500 between Athens and Washington. Chicago is the bigger metro area and has a much bigger Greek community.
That being said, IAD is UA's hub, they would have faced competition from AA at ORD and as others said IAD-ATH is a shorter stage length. So it made more sense.

I don't think the AA/Sky Express deal was anything more than a simple interlining - Sky Express blew it out of proportion a bit for marketing reasons... Pretty sure A3 has been interlining with all US3 for years.
A3 and UA are not very close though from what I know. They don't codeshare (unlike A3 and AC).

For the Washington Dulles catchment area, you should include the entire Washington - Baltimore catchment area as it is now a combined marketing area and that is how schedulers will consider it particularly for long haul international flights which are dominantly flown from IAD. According to the US Census, the population of the entire Washington-Baltimore Combined Statistical Area as of the Census Bureau's 2020 data is 9,973,383. In 2020, the population of the Chicago-Naperville-Elgin metropolitan area in the United States was about 9.4 million people. This was a slight decrease from the previous year, which was about 9.45 million.

cosyr

Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:15 am

N93109 wrote:
OlympicATH wrote:
Blerg wrote:

For the Washington Dulles catchment area, you should include the entire Washington - Baltimore catchment area as it is now a combined marketing area and that is how schedulers will consider it particularly for long haul international flights which are dominantly flown from IAD. According to the US Census, the population of the entire Washington-Baltimore Combined Statistical Area as of the Census Bureau's 2020 data is 9,973,383. In 2020, the population of the Chicago-Naperville-Elgin metropolitan area in the United States was about 9.4 million people. This was a slight decrease from the previous year, which was about 9.45 million.

When I lived in Baltimore, I suppose that I would consider driving to IAD for a nonstop transatlantic flight, but even though I was a UA premier member the whole time I lived there, I never drove there once. I only flew from BWI. I actually looked at flying from PHL before IAD, when US was a Star member.

I lived on the north side of the city, so maybe people on the south side would consider IAD more readily, but driving through Bethesda is not ideal. The Silver line might make things more tempting.

Golfmikey

Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:23 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:
With the 772 GE and 77W fleet running pretty much full bore (except for 1 each in HKG maint), I wouldn't expect N77012 to go into paint soon.
The first couple weeks of December are low periods, maybe then or after the new year is more likely.

Someone at Willis must have been reading this thread it went into ama tonight (11/20) lol

ChaseP

Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:01 am

Paint Update:
N77012 (777-200ER) entered AMA (UA2747/20) for paint. This aircraft desperately needed new paint.

Storage Update:
N223UA (777-200ER) exited ROW storage (UA2708/20). Aircraft ferried to SFO and will go to heavy maintenance.
N779UA (777-200) exited ROW storage (UA2712/20). Aircraft will ferry for HKG or XMN for heavy maintenance.
N471UA (Airbus 320) ferried to BFM for heavy maintenance (UA2754/20).

STT757

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:52 pm

Golfmikey wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:

Someone at Willis must have been reading this thread it went into ama tonight (11/20) lol

Now that is impressive.

drerx7

Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:40 pm

I flew that bird from ORD...I was embarrassed to land at IAH...for fear that my constituents saw me flying in such an abomination lol

UPlog

Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:01 am

Don't know if anyone caught the interview with Kirby at Skift airline conference last week.

He spoke about network and UA being uniquely positioned with good coastal hubs to try new markets like AMM. Mentioned how successful ACC launch had been. Also historically the most profitable longhaul route was SFO-PVG.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFWwH5JOnII
Last edited by UPlog on Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cmac787

Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:11 am

3854 757-300. Is also in pretty rough shape. It desperately needs new paint

redrooster3

Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:27 am

Cmac787 wrote:
3854 757-300. Is also in pretty rough shape. It desperately needs new paint

I have not seen a schedule yet for repaint program for the 753s but 0857 is looking shabby too.

ChaseP

Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:28 am

I believe the 757-300s and 767-400s are scheduled to begin receiving paint sometime late this year.

atcsundevil

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:02 am

Just a reminder that it's off topic to discuss moderation outside of the Site Related forum. Posts that do so are subject to removal in accordance with forum rules.

✈️ atcsundevil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos