Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyingElvii

Re: Spirit A320NEO involved in a birdstrike and fire at ACY

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:01 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
As usual… people are not accounting for the human factor. Fear and panic make people act irrationally, selfishly, crazy, the list goes on, it just depends on the particular person.

You can add all the rules and equipment you want, people will still find a way to act the opposite of how you want them to. Locks on the overheads? Great, now people will be trying to pry them open instead of evacuating.

And mind you… this was Spirit. Probably the fewest carry ons in the cabin compared to the big guys.

I have thought about this many times over the years, especially since the Russian incident.

It has long been my habit to count the seat rows between me, the crash axe, and the nearest exit, keeping in mind that the quickest way may be over the seats, not down the aisle. I won’t sit in a CRJ-200 or a 145 past 1 row behind the window exits, just no way to get out from the back.

I was taught to always plan that my engine will fail on every takeoff in my own small plane. I use the same planning for flying commercial.

TonyBurr

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:03 pm

The passengers were TOTAL IDIOTS

FlyingElvii

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:15 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
tzadik wrote:
I know NK keeps the EVAC command button in the cockpit on "Captain" not "Captain/Purser" for what it's worth.

Why does Spirit not allow cabin crew to initiate an evacuation?

The captain will not know if there is smoke or flames about to enter the cabin. On American 383 (the 2016 767 evacuation at ORD), the first exit was opened within 10 seconds of stopping by a flight attendant and 3 doors had been opened before the captain started the evacuation checklist at 35 seconds. There was comparatively less luggage retrieved due to the quick cabin crew action.

As demonstrated a couple of decades ago by the differing outcomes in the British Midland 737 fire, and the Air Canada CVG DC-9 fire, the primary difference between the two was the type of passenger involved.

Weatherwatcher1

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:24 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
tzadik wrote:
I know NK keeps the EVAC command button in the cockpit on "Captain" not "Captain/Purser" for what it's worth.

The captain will not know if there is smoke or flames about to enter the cabin. On American 383 (the 2016 767 evacuation at ORD), the first exit was opened within 10 seconds of stopping by a flight attendant and 3 doors had been opened before the captain started the evacuation checklist at 35 seconds. There was comparatively less luggage retrieved due to the quick cabin crew action.

As demonstrated a couple of decades ago by the differing outcomes in the British Midland 737 fire, and the Air Canada CVG DC-9 fire, the primary difference between the two was the type of passenger involved.

In this case it was evident that passengers were confused and asking what to do, which is why I question the crew, not the panicking passengers

santi319

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:49 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

santi319 wrote:
I think the crew did an excellent job. You can hear them say remain seated etc. The passengers recording and taking their bags and inciting panic is exactly what is wrong with society.

I think the crew made the situation worse. I hope the FAA thoroughly investigates the evacuation. People always will gather their baggage. They need clear instructions. What made it worse is that there was a fire and instead of giving commands to evacuate, the cabin crew said fire trucks are on the way and sit down causing more panic. If many people over the wing are screaming fire and saying let us out, then an evacuation needs to be initiated with clear instructions. It appears that it took over a minute to evacuate which caused more panic and ended up with luggage in the aisles. They are lucky smoke didn’t enter the cabin.

Um, no, the aircraft was NOT ready to be evacuated. There is a checklist to be followed, making sure engines are shut etc. Are you a pilot or cabin crew? If youre not I urge you to stop spreading misinformation. An engine fire can be contained and thats exactly what the crew did! Do you evacuate in the air when the engine is on fire?? These Aircrafts are literally build to withstand these types of emergencies. People going to the runway and get sucked by the engine or worse, get injured by the engines fire is exactly what they were trying to avoid.

Id say leave the evacuation procedures to the trained professionals..

atcsundevil

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:24 pm

Just a reminder to please stick to discussing the topic.

✈️ atcsundevil

Weatherwatcher1

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:25 pm

santi319 wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

santi319 wrote:
I think the crew did an excellent job. You can hear them say remain seated etc. The passengers recording and taking their bags and inciting panic is exactly what is wrong with society.

I think the crew made the situation worse. I hope the FAA thoroughly investigates the evacuation. People always will gather their baggage. They need clear instructions. What made it worse is that there was a fire and instead of giving commands to evacuate, the cabin crew said fire trucks are on the way and sit down causing more panic. If many people over the wing are screaming fire and saying let us out, then an evacuation needs to be initiated with clear instructions. It appears that it took over a minute to evacuate which caused more panic and ended up with luggage in the aisles. They are lucky smoke didn’t enter the cabin.

Um, no, the aircraft was NOT ready to be evacuated. There is a checklist to be followed, making sure engines are shut etc. Are you a pilot or cabin crew? If youre not I urge you to stop spreading misinformation. An engine fire can be contained and thats exactly what the crew did! Do you evacuate in the air when the engine is on fire?? These Aircrafts are literally build to withstand these types of emergencies. People going to the runway and get sucked by the engine or worse, get injured by the engines fire is exactly what they were trying to avoid.

Id say leave the evacuation procedures to the trained professionals..

What misinformation am I spreading? Fire? Panicking passengers? Delayed evacuation?

Airplanes are build to have the lower fuselage insulation to have an average burn through time of at least 4 minutes per FAR 25.856. The fuselage is not designed to withstand a jet fuel fire indefinitely.

F27500

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:27 pm

UALFAson wrote:
As soon as I saw the headline, I KNEW exactly what this thread was going to turn into: a bunch of self-righteous armchair fanboys claiming they would act perfectly in an emergency and demanding carry on bag bans, fines, and other ridiculous reactions.

Fines and no-fly bans are designed to deter bad behavior, but given how miniscule the odds are of any passenger being in an emergency evacuation at some point in their lifetime, these punishments are not a real or practical enough threat to affect anyone's behavior. My mother was a flight attendant for 37 years and never had to evacuate an airplane once. Furthermore, what are the odds that any of these individuals are going to be in ANOTHER evacuation in their lifetime to where they would have learned their lesson and behave better next time?

Likewise, banning all carry on luggage is a total non-starter. As a business traveler, 20-30 minutes or more waiting in baggage claim on both ends of trip is wasted, non-billable time. And where would you draw the line at baggage bans anyway: purses but not backpacks? Backpacks but not duffles? Duffles but not roll aboards? As long as you allow ANY bag in the cabin, the potential exists for people grabbing them instead of evacuating immediately. This is an example of the solution being worse than the problem.

I understand we're all passionate about safety, but these knee-jerk, idealized, judgmental responses are really not necessary.

100% agree with you. You said it perfectly. All these armchair "experts" on this site don't realize how ridiculous they sound alot of the time with all the tough guy talk. LOL

FlapOperator

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:41 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

What misinformation am I spreading? Fire? Panicking passengers? Delayed evacuation?

Airplanes are build to have the lower fuselage insulation to have an average burn through time of at least 4 minutes per FAR 25.856. The fuselage is not designed to withstand a jet fuel fire indefinitely.

First, any slide based evacuation will have a significant injury rate implicit in the decision to evac.

Second, evacuating into running engines, responding equipment, etc. is a real concern.

No one is saying to ride out a raging fire in the cabin indefinitely.

Weatherwatcher1

Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:08 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

First, any slide based evacuation will have a significant injury rate implicit in the decision to evac.

Second, evacuating into running engines, responding equipment, etc. is a real concern.

No one is saying to ride out a raging fire in the cabin indefinitely.

Valid points, but they still evacuated after what appears to be over a minute with passengers screaming fire based on the YouTube videos. Why did it take so long is the question for the investigators at Spirit.

FlapOperator

Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:05 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
Valid points, but they still evacuated after what appears to be over a minute with passengers screaming fire based on the YouTube videos. Why did it take so long is the question for the investigators at Spirit.

What's long about a minute? The plane comes to a shuddering stop. You wait a couple of seconds to assess any ECAM messages, give the F/As a quick call "Standby for evac. When I command it, Left side, left side only!" Then, you go through the evac checklist. A few seconds to see if the fire bottles are containing the fire. If not, then command the evac.

The issue with this evac was the classic case of people wanting their carry-ons, and wanting to film for their 15 minutes of fame and provide data for their plantiffs attorney.

If I was in the Captains shoes I'm not commanding an evac until I know that the engines and first responders don't represent a danger, I've completed my checklist, and we've got a plan.

If you have a college level reading comprehension, it took you 20-25 seconds to read this.

tzadik

Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:51 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

Speaking with a friend who works at NK, the CA is in his first month after upgrade and the FO is a new hire. I'd say they did very well all things considered. For all things already mentioned NK probably feels like the EVAC command should be initiated by the person in charge, given they know the operating state of the engines, etc. I don't think taking the time to secure the aircraft and make sure an EVAC can proceed as safety as possible is such a big deal in this situation. Not quite sure why there's some proponents of the FA's just blowing the slides 3 seconds after the aircraft came to a stop.

santi319

Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:57 pm

I think we should leave the emergency procedures to the ones that are trained for it…

kalvado

Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:50 am

santi319 wrote:
I think we should leave the emergency procedures to the ones that are trained for it…

Unfortunately, passengers get just a minimal brief, and even that is often ignored - but still have to participate.
Saying that those in a pointy end of the tube have most information in front of them is pretty fair, though, so their judgement has a lot of weight in making any decisions.

Alias1024

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:31 am

There isn’t nearly enough information to second guess the pilot’s actions in this.

What were they told by the flight attendants?

What were they told by tower and emergency vehicles when they arrived at the scene?

What was the ECAM telling them?

There is that picture of the L2 slide deployed before L1 or left overwing exits. Was that after the evacuation was commanded, or did someone (flight attendant or passenger) open that door before being commanded? If the latter the pilots would likely think it’s worse in the cabin than they realize and an evacuation is warranted.

See what I mean? From the interior video I hear flight attendants issuing instructions, passengers ignoring them, and pilots ordering evacuation shortly after shutdown. Not enough info to dissect it much past that.

TW870

Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:12 am

Former FA here so I will speak to cabin crew issues only.

I flew for an major US airline where flight attendants have full authority to initiate an evacuation. All of the comments in the thread about pilot checklists and ECAM messages were irrelevant in our training. If I saw significant fire that I thought threatened the lives of the passengers, my immediate action item was to hit the evac button and begin the evacuation. In this case, though, it sounds like the captain initially commanded the crew to remain seated - most likely due to what folks mention above such as the danger of jet blast, the danger of being run over by ground equipment, etc. But once they had significant fire on the starboard side and passengers starting to panic, as I flight attendant I would have initiated the evacuation, period. Shrapnel could have punctured fuel tanks, and there could have been a fuel source for the fire under the wing and fuselage that could have led to rapid intensification.

My first thought, though, is on these densely configured airplanes how little access to outside information the cabin crew has. The tiny windows in the exit doors may not have provided sight lines to that fire. And given the panic in the cabin, it may not have been easy to get egress to assess the fire. My hunch is that it was the passengers - and not the pilots or flight attendants - that had the clearest knowledge about the most severe phase of that fire.

The PA announcement about firetrucks being on the way is baffling to me, though. If you have a fuel fire with long orange flames and thick black smoke, my job as I understood it was to evacuate the airplane immediately to buy precious seconds to spare people's lives in the case of rapid fire intensification.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:20 am

UALFAson wrote:
As soon as I saw the headline, I KNEW exactly what this thread was going to turn into: a bunch of self-righteous armchair fanboys claiming they would act perfectly in an emergency and demanding carry on bag bans, fines, and other ridiculous reactions.

Fines and no-fly bans are designed to deter bad behavior, but given how miniscule the odds are of any passenger being in an emergency evacuation at some point in their lifetime, these punishments are not a real or practical enough threat to affect anyone's behavior. My mother was a flight attendant for 37 years and never had to evacuate an airplane once. Furthermore, what are the odds that any of these individuals are going to be in ANOTHER evacuation in their lifetime to where they would have learned their lesson and behave better next time?

Likewise, banning all carry on luggage is a total non-starter. As a business traveler, 20-30 minutes or more waiting in baggage claim on both ends of trip is wasted, non-billable time. And where would you draw the line at baggage bans anyway: purses but not backpacks? Backpacks but not duffles? Duffles but not roll aboards? As long as you allow ANY bag in the cabin, the potential exists for people grabbing them instead of evacuating immediately. This is an example of the solution being worse than the problem.

I understand we're all passionate about safety, but these knee-jerk, idealized, judgmental responses are really not necessary.

I’ve been both business and personal traveler for decades, 90% of the time check bags unless it’s a very simple overnight. No lugging a bag thru security, making a connection, using the loo (wet floors, ugh) or eating. I’d bet I’ve never waited 30 minutes for my bags at baggage claim, often the bag is there before me. I’ve checked guns which have to go thru the baggage office and show my gun permit and not been delayed. People have a very odd sense of time. In domestic trips, bags are rarely missing for more than 8-12 hours.

DLASFlyer

Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:38 am

That was a serious fire. Surprised the evacuation did not begin sooner. Seems like confusion all around.

FlyingJhawk

Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:49 pm

In this era of COVID, I am not sure why anyone is surprised people put their own interests ahead of the safety of others.

WayexTDI

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:21 pm

FlyingJhawk wrote:
In this era of COVID, I am not sure why anyone is surprised people put their own interests ahead of the safety of others.

This was an emergency; during said times, people are nervous, usually disoriented and do not think rationally. That's human nature.

I participated once in a mini-evac (along with 5-6 of my colleagues): we were on the ground, in a hangar, and were participants for the airline (our customer) to validate their new over-the-water procedures. We were briefed what to do, again knew we were safely on the ground (door closed). When the FA started screaming "head down stay down" repeatedly, my adrenaline level shot up and I started not thinking straight. It took me about 2 hours to go down to "normal" levels. When I asked my colleagues, they all said the same: that it felt too real while we were fully aware that there was no danger and that they started not thinking straight.
After that experience, I realized that I most likely would not know what to do during an actual emergency (or at least have a non-negligible delay).

Bottom line: unless one has been in an actual emergency evacuation, they should not start with the "could have, should have, would have" as they have no actual idea what they'd do.

moa999

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:56 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
That was a serious fire. Surprised the evacuation did not begin sooner. Seems like confusion all around.
Watch the rear video more closely.

In the early stages the plane is still moving.
And oxygen equals more flames.

From the time it stops the flames diminish and the pilot shifts the flaps, turns off the engines and calls evac is a much shorter time.

--

If you go back to QF32 (admittedly no fire) but hot brakes after a rapid stop with systems degraded, one of the engines wouldn't stop and it took the fire brigade a long while to douse it with foam to stop it.

The captain had the crew ready to evacuate but thought the safest place for passengers was onboard.

FlapOperator

Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:43 pm

TW870 wrote:
Former FA here so I will speak to cabin crew issues only.

I flew for an major US airline where flight attendants have full authority to initiate an evacuation. All of the comments in the thread about pilot checklists and ECAM messages were irrelevant in our training. If I saw significant fire that I thought threatened the lives of the passengers, my immediate action item was to hit the evac button and begin the evacuation. In this case, though, it sounds like the captain initially commanded the crew to remain seated - most likely due to what folks mention above such as the danger of jet blast, the danger of being run over by ground equipment, etc. But once they had significant fire on the starboard side and passengers starting to panic, as I flight attendant I would have initiated the evacuation, period. Shrapnel could have punctured fuel tanks, and there could have been a fuel source for the fire under the wing and fuselage that could have led to rapid intensification.

My first thought, though, is on these densely configured airplanes how little access to outside information the cabin crew has. The tiny windows in the exit doors may not have provided sight lines to that fire. And given the panic in the cabin, it may not have been easy to get egress to assess the fire. My hunch is that it was the passengers - and not the pilots or flight attendants - that had the clearest knowledge about the most severe phase of that fire.

The PA announcement about firetrucks being on the way is baffling to me, though. If you have a fuel fire with long orange flames and thick black smoke, my job as I understood it was to evacuate the airplane immediately to buy precious seconds to spare people's lives in the case of rapid fire intensification.

Assuming you were TWA, there are couple of significant differences from EVACs of then (I'm somewhat familiar with TWA procedures at a second hand) and what the current best practices say.

Especially in the A320, jet blast represents a danger to overwing and rear doors/slides, the jet intake represents a danger to the L1/R1 doors, and the way the doors open represent a danger to the F/As if the aircraft is pressurized (there have been multiple incidents where serious injuries have occurred to F/As and gate agents when opening pressurized Airbus doors.) Next time you're boarding an Airbus notice how the doors open out and forward and the pressurized light viewable via the door window.

The pilots have pretty good view aft in a 319/320, a little less so on the 321. Ultimately, the biggest dangers during the evac is not having the engines stopped, and responding equipment target fixated on the fire and not the passengers milling around, filming, helping, finding loved ones, etc.

IFlyVeryLittle

Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:14 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:
The simpler solution to the baggage is two fold: Passengers only, no bags on the trip from where the plane parks to the terminal. Second, airline and FAA commit to retrieving those bags as soon as it is safe, not when it is convenient. I believe most airports have a receiving room that can hold a plane load of people. Transport them there, send in treats and beverages. Make people happy. It often works.

1. Passengers need access to things on-board: laptop bags, diaper bags, medicines...

2. When you tell business travelers they're going to have to check a bag, no carry-ons, you change the calculus of drive vs. fly and cut short-haul industry demand from the highest-fare flyers by 20%.

Now of that is worth your life or anyone else’s!!!

One example. Just one. Of people dying because someone brought their carry on luggage with them. Just one. Im sure Spirit is super efficient at returning all the carry on luggage to its rightful owner just minutes after the situation is de-fused. Everyone always yaps about carrying essential medicines and such with them in carry on. But now we're going to wait a day to get our property back? I get it, it's a s-show sometimes, but people have their reasons you know.

IFlyVeryLittle

Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:38 pm

Has there ever been a documented case of fatalities because someone brought a carry on back with them?

moa999

Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:52 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
Has there ever been a documented case of fatalities because someone brought a carry on back with them?
Yes
Aeroflot 1492
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_1492
https://youtu.be/iDK_mifUqjI

Note that it wasn't an engine in flames

IFlyVeryLittle

Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:29 pm

moa999 wrote:
IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
Yes
Aeroflot 1492
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_1492
https://youtu.be/iDK_mifUqjI

Note that it wasn't an engine in flames

Appreciate it, but: "According to TASS, citing a law enforcement source, the majority of passengers in the tail end of the aircraft had practically no chance of rescue; many of them did not even have time to unfasten their seat belts. He added that those passengers from the tail section of the aircraft who managed to escape had moved to the front of the aircraft even before it stopped, and that he had no confirmation that retrieval of luggage had slowed the evacuation.''

dopplerd

Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:23 pm

Every emergency training I have been through starts out with "assess the situation." Every emergency situation I have been in was improved by assessing the situation. Acting too quickly can be as dangerous, if not more, than slowing down and being deliberate in your actions. There have been planes that have crashed after an engine failure when the working engine was the one shut down. There have been people seriously injured walking into jet blast after an evac.

Looking at the videos of this incident the fire was initially large and intense but burned out quickly, likely after the fire button was released. The fire button on an A320 shuts off all fuel, hydraulics, air and electricity to the engine. If there is not secondary source of flammable material the engine fire will almost always go out.

Every emergency evacuation is going to be chaotic and suboptimal. The fact is every passenger on this plane was made less safe by evac (this is not an argument against this evac, just a recognition that the plane didn't burn beyond a contained location that was quickly extinguished) due to the inherent dangers of sliding out of an airplane. In the moment those details were not know so this assessment is totally 20/20 hindsight.

My point is that the time in the videos between the plane stopping and evac aren't wasted seconds, it's valuable time spent making certain that getting to the outside of the plane is a safer option than staying on the plane.

This was a great job by the crew in my opinion. Time was taken to make certain that both engines were shut down before the evac began. No injuries and other than a junked engine this plane will fly again, likely very soon.

iAvgeek737

Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:01 am

Arguments about what should or shouldn't have happened inside the plane aside is this NK's first major incident (every airline has emergency landings and such but I don't think NK has ever had something like this in the way WN had flight 1455 or B6 had a flight 292)

Woodreau

Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:53 am

iAvgeek737 wrote:
Arguments about what should or shouldn't have happened inside the plane aside is this NK's first major incident (every airline has emergency landings and such but I don't think NK has ever had something like this in the way WN had flight 1455 or B6 had a flight 292)

Does this count as a major incident?

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/spiri ... n/1960198/

F9Animal

Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:59 am

nine4nine wrote:
Everyone caught on tape retrieving their stupid carry-on’s should get an automatic 10 year no-fly list add. Unbelievable.

Would have been a smart idea for the flight crew to announce any carry-on taken during the evacuation would require a $50 fee. I don't get the stupidity of people.

LTEN11

Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:43 am

I'm more concerned about how the fan blade snapped at the root from the bird strike than worrying about people being people and claiming their belongings before they turn to ash. I know it was reported as a "large" bird, but has anyone heard what type of bird it actually was ?

bourbon

Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:07 am

nine4nine wrote:
bourbon wrote:
747-600X wrote:
What's needed is an electric lock on the overhead bins. If there's weight on the wheels, the bins don't open. That and an announcement that the bins "are and will remain closed, locked, and inaccessible while the aircraft is on the ground" would clean up most of this nonsense.

That’s a great idea. Especially when they lock at the gate during a normal passenger deplaning. Hell IFE systems consistently are inop - WiFi inop, might as well add another failure point on an aircraft.

Or they are designed so that they can activate a locking mechanism in an emergency only.

Except systems fail all the time every day

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos