Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wardialer
Topic Author

USPS mail on commercial aircraft?

Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:38 am

I’m trying to track my USPS package and it says left departing facility. Does USPS have its own aircraft or do they just ship items along with regular commercial airlines?

My package will come from US to EU.

Is there a way to track aircraft with shipment items if I enter a tracking number?

pwm2txlhopper

Re: USPS mail on commercial aircraft?

Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:20 am

There are a half dozen or so USPS international mail processing centers throughout the USA that all international mail goes through. Outbound and inbound.

Unlike UPS and FedEx tracking, you don’t get as specific location data with USPS tracking. Although, I have seen when it’s cleared an International mail processing facility occasionally when I’ve sent something Priority International and headed out of the USA. Being in New England, NYC Is the closest international procession facility that all the regions mails goes through.

USPS hasn’t had its own dedicated fleet in more than twenty years. Most Domestic Priority Mail and some First Class domestic is carried on FedEx. I think airlines still haul most of the postal service international mail?

wardialer
Topic Author

Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:33 am

Can anyone else confirm that if USPS Priority International shipments are hauled on regular commercial passenger airlines?

32andBelow

Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:46 am

wardialer wrote:
Can anyone else confirm that if USPS Priority International shipments are hauled on regular commercial passenger airlines?

Some commercial flights as well as FedEx

pwm2txlhopper

Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:47 am

Also note that once your shipment has been put on a flight and arrived in another country, it’s left the possession of USPS and is now in possession of that country’s postal service, which likely isn’t using the same tracking that USPS used before it left their possession. Shipments can also be in a state of limbo where they’ve arrived in a country, but haven’t cleared customs and been turned over to the local postal service.

richcandy

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:05 am

wardialer wrote:
I’m trying to track my USPS package and it says left departing facility. Does USPS have its own aircraft or do they just ship items along with regular commercial airlines?

My package will come from US to EU.

Is there a way to track aircraft with shipment items if I enter a tracking number?

I don't think you can find out what flight your package went on. Try using the USPS tracking number on the website of the mail company in the country the parcel is going to. Sometimes that will give you more information. (Example if the parcel is going to the UK try tracking the USPS code on the Royal Mail website or if its France La Post)

Sometimes it seems to take a few days from the parcel leaving the USA according to the USPS to when its actually in the system of La Post, Royal Mail etc.

wjcandee

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:40 am

I have always been able to track the package through to destination on the USPS web site. Just chill. It's on the way.

TEALflyer

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:30 pm

... and then, as of a few days ago, there are a few countries that the USPS has “Suspension Due to Unavailability of Transportation”.
It looks like the EU are still getting deliveries, but Australia and New Zealand are affected (my little corner of the world).

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service ... elcome.htm
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indust ... sportation

johns624

Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:00 pm

A few months ago, I ordered a book from a seller in Canada. Canada Post uses a completely different tracking number sequence than them but when I put the CP number in the USPS tracker, it showed it.

1337Delta764

Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:06 pm

johns624 wrote:
A few months ago, I ordered a book from a seller in Canada. Canada Post uses a completely different tracking number sequence than them but when I put the CP number in the USPS tracker, it showed it.

I know a lot of international mail often follows UPU format (typically starting and ending with two letters).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos