Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Confirmed: New United international routes 10/14

Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:16 pm

https://twitter.com/united/status/14480 ... 59336?s=21

Per the Instagram story it appears as though there will new United international routes announced tomorrow. I’m expecting to see some fun ones along with a few TATL returns for next summer.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

portola2727

Re: Rumor: New United international routes 10/13

Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:22 pm

Please god, please let it be LAX-FRA and LAX-TLV. The one thing I really would want is UA to have a major expansion out of LAX. UAL has always been my favorite of the US3.

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:25 pm

portola2727 wrote:
Please god, please let it be LAX-FRA and LAX-TLV.

Agreed. LAX-TLV would be a huge market for UA and I can’t believe they haven’t jumped into it yet.

USAirALB

Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:27 pm

The Instagram story and the Twitter announcement have an "undercover" theme. They put out a couple of tweets that say:

-"All will be revealed. Make sure you meet us at the rendezvous point."
-"If only biometrics could see the future."
-"See you at the rendezvous point. Our contact will have the package."

I can't tell if they are all some sort of clue, or just little reminders to check back on Twitter tomorrow at 8am EST for the announcement.

jbs2886

Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:30 pm

USAirALB wrote:
The Instagram story and the Twitter announcement have an "undercover" theme. They put out a couple of tweets that say:

-"All will be revealed. Make sure you meet us at the rendezvous point."
-"If only biometrics could see the future."
-"See you at the rendezvous point. Our contact will have the package."

I can't tell if they are all some sort of clue, or just little reminders to check back on Twitter tomorrow at 8am EST for the announcement.

Biometric boarding (a la Delta's recent announcement)? That's way too specific to just be referencing a destination or be a cutesy PR thing.

But, the other spy elements make me think of 007 (since it was just released) - so London?

CALMSP

Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:33 pm

"undercover"......is this the new belly logo of the new 738MAX that was introduced at a special ceremony or some employees (along with $1,000 for every UA employee)

AVENSAB727

Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:06 pm

If it is new routes, I hope it is IAH-ZRH/BRU

Okcflyer

Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:09 pm

Hopefully IAH-GYE relaunches on 737-8 or 738/737 NG. :)

(I can dream right??)

EADSYABSOB73857

Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:37 pm

Could they be providing official start dates for their anticipated BOS-LHR flight?

CALMSP

Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:41 pm

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
Could they be providing official start dates for their anticipated BOS-LHR flight?

maybe, but this should be "new" and BOS-LHR was already announced.

IrishAyes

Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:01 pm

way cool. these are always so much fun.

i would love to see more IAD-Latin America, i.e. BOG, LIM, perhaps even EZE. Also, IAD/EWR-DSS

LAX-PPT would also be a really interesting option, ahead of the return of AF which has been operating PPT via YVR since the pandemic.

DCA350

Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:07 pm

IrishAyes wrote:

i would love to see more IAD-Latin America, i.e. BOG, LIM, perhaps even EZE. Also, IAD/EWR-DSS

LAX-PPT would also be a really interesting option, ahead of the return of AF which has been operating PPT via YVR since the pandemic.

Totally agree here.. Never understood why IAD isn't utilized more for Latin America.. IAH is too much of a backtrack from most of the EC and EWR can't handle a bunch of additional connections.. IAD will never be Miami but it offers a solid platform, especially given the large Central American population in the region..

seat1a

Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:19 pm

DCA350 wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

Totally agree here.. Never understood why IAD isn't utilized more for Latin America.. IAH is too much of a backtrack from most of the EC and EWR can't handle a bunch of additional connections.. IAD will never be Miami but it offers a solid platform, especially given the large Central American population in the region..

Can 737MAX make IAD-BOG/LIM/ITO?

MaxTrimm

Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:32 pm

seat1a wrote:
DCA350 wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

I think you mean UIO (Quito, Ecuador), ITO is Hilo in Hawaii

LAXdude1023

Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:40 pm

Given the time frame, I doubt it will be related to Latin America. This is the right time to announce transatlantic flights.

seat1a

Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:47 pm

MaxTrimm wrote:
seat1a wrote:
DCA350 wrote:

I think you mean UIO (Quito, Ecuador), ITO is Hilo in Hawaii

Yikes, thanks for the correction. UIO!

IrishAyes

Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:49 pm

DCA350 wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

Yes! UA is investing nicely in IAD (more hiring, facilities improvements, launching the Polaris lounge shortly, more domestic and int'l capacity) so this would be great. (PS, I owe you a phone call! miss you, B!)

LAXdude1023

Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:53 pm

DCA350 wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

UA addressed that already. They added flights to SAL and GUA which are the biggest Central American populations. IAH simply works better as a Latin American hub (minus the Caribbean). Look at the routes tried from EWR and IAD that aren’t here anymore but still exist from IAH. UA isn’t currently flying GRU from IAD but never dropped it from IAH despite the fact IAD is geographically closer.

The only Latin American destination that makes more sense from IAD than IAH is Bolivia due to the concentration of Bolivians in DC that exists nowhere else in the US. Adding IAD-SAP would also make sense to me. I don’t see a plethora of South America though.

Pi7472000

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:11 pm

DCA350 wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

This is a great point!! IAD is much nicer to connect through for many people to Latin America. IAH is not convenient for many people for domestic and international connections. Would be great to see more EWR, ORD, IAD, LAX, and DEN to Europe!

N292UX

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:13 pm

Sort of feel like it will involve DEN. What about DEN-AMS or something like that?
Could also see EWR-VIE/WAW and IAD-LIM being possibilities.

LAXdude1023

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:14 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
DCA350 wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

This is a great point!! IAD is much nicer to connect through for many people to Latin America. IAH is not convenient for many people for domestic and international connections. Would be great to see more EWR, ORD, IAD, LAX, and DEN to Europe!

Did someone from Houston run over your dog or something? It’s a common theme with you: shut down or minimize IAH. You kept suggesting a big draw down of IAH because of Covid (which of course never happened) and like clockwork here you are again minimizing the role IAH plays. It’s getting tiresome.

I’m not expecting Houston to get anything tomorrow but good lord man, this is getting old.
Last edited by LAXdude1023 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LAXdude1023

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:15 pm

N292UX wrote:
Sort of feel like it will involve DEN. What about DEN-AMS or something like that?

I doubt it. Tiny low yielding market. If it is something from DEN, I would imagine it would involve a partner hub.

mkorpal333

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:43 pm

N292UX wrote:

If they are announcing 22 summer international routes, I would expect DEN to be involved. No way are they getting all those new gates without stipulations on using them.

rjbesikof

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:48 pm

Pacific:
1) EWR-SIN (SQ is operating the flight via JFK, UA may want to drive SQ out of EWR long term).
2) SFO-BKK (Thailand reopens in a few weeks)
3) DEN-PPT (Would connect PPT to the middle of the country. Could the 763 or 788 make this one? The 789 would be too much)
South America:
1) EWR-SCL (Would be one way to protect UA's EWR hub from AA's growing JFK ops, since JFK-SCL was a recent AA add)
2) EWR-GIG (Again, another route AA is committed to from JFK).
3) LAX-GRU (Would provide an alternative to LATAM's LAX-SCL).
Atlantic:
1) DEN-AMS (KLM is looking at adding this route).
2) ORD-MXP (MXP would now be served from the middle of the country).
3) LAX-FRA (LAX is the only hub where UA does not serve FRA on its own metal).

LAXdude1023

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:50 pm

mkorpal333 wrote:
N292UX wrote:

If they are announcing 22 summer international routes, I would expect DEN to be involved. No way are they getting all those new gates without stipulations on using them.

Did they say 22 international routes???

AVENSAB727

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:59 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
Pacific:
1) EWR-SIN (SQ is operating the flight via JFK, UA may want to drive SQ out of EWR long term).
3) DEN-PPT (Would connect PPT to the middle of the country. Could the 763 or 788 make this one? The 789 would be too much)
South America:
1) EWR-SCL (Would be one way to protect UA's EWR hub from AA's growing JFK ops, since JFK-SCL was a recent AA add)
Atlantic:

I would add IAH-MAD ,ZRH, GEO, GYE and LAX-TLV

psa1011

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:00 am

rjbesikof wrote:
Pacific:
South America:
Atlantic:

As a west coaster I'd love to see LAX-S. America, but I think if AA couldn't make it work with LATAM as a partner then I have doubts about UA doing any better.

And I recall UA trying LAX-FRA (and HKG) in 2007, but it didn't last long.

I'd love SFO-BKK.

STT757

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:00 am

EWR-Oslo, EWR-Copenhagen.

USAirALB

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:01 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
DCA350 wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

UA addressed that already. They added flights to SAL and GUA which are the biggest Central American populations. IAH simply works better as a Latin American hub (minus the Caribbean). Look at the routes tried from EWR and IAD that aren’t here anymore but still exist from IAH. UA isn’t currently flying GRU from IAD but never dropped it from IAH despite the fact IAD is geographically closer.

The only Latin American destination that makes more sense from IAD than IAH is Bolivia due to the concentration of Bolivians in DC that exists nowhere else in the US. Adding IAD-SAP would also make sense to me. I don’t see a plethora of South America though.

Correct.

The only South American station that would logically make sense from Dulles is EZE, although the Argentinian economy isn't so hot right now so the route essentially makes no sense at present. UA formerly flew IAD-EZE-MVD and then IAD-EZE without the MVD tag for several years before transferring the route to EWR after the merger.

I doubt we will ever see UA in Bolivia personally, and AV has the market covered with their IAD-LPB direct service via BOG.

I recall reading that UA was looking into IAD-LIM at one point, but I can't recall how long ago that was. Lan tried with route a couple years back and I don't even think they lasted a year on the route.

My bet is LAX-TLV.

mkorpal333

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:02 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
mkorpal333 wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Did they say 22 international routes???

Sorry, 2022.

FlyHossD

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:03 am

CALMSP wrote:
EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:

maybe, but this should be "new" and BOS-LHR was already announced.

That was how I read it. I'll go out on a limb and offer that BOS-LHR begins in March of 2022.

ContinentalEWR

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:03 am

rjbesikof wrote:
Pacific:
South America:
Atlantic:

I don't think the UA 789 can do EWR-SIN in its current configuration without penalties. SFO-BKK very unlikely. Low yielding, tourist market for the most part, and not with fuel prices rising. DEN-PPT? Why? They have SFO-PPT. They market is sufficiently served when they restore that. EWR-SCL? Maybe, but the NYC market to SCL will be saturated if UA enters it. AA launched JFK-SCL yes, but that is because it lost LATAM. EWR-GIG? Maybe. Hasn't been flown nonsto[ since CO cut it post 9/11. LAX-GRU? No way.

nascar1

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:09 am

I bet for SFO-BCN or ORD-BCN.

United1

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:16 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
https://twitter.com/united/status/1448017388415459336?s=21

Per the Instagram story it appears as though there will new United international routes announced tomorrow. I’m expecting to see some fun ones along with a few TATL returns for next summer.

They may announce a few new routes but I bet this is more to do with UA reopening a couple Polaris lounges....including Classified (UA has used that word about a dozen times in that Twitter thread) at EWR.

CALMSP

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:24 am

pretty much certain its not going to be any west coast to S America based on recent comments from the Network team how it just doesn't work.

DEN (airport) wants AMS/BCN/FCO, and with the fleet reduction at Edelweiss, ZRH could come back as well and offer those connections on both ends.

IAH - BCN
LAX - zero
SFO - Resumption of MUC/ZRH/AMS/DUB
ORD - BCN (resumption of ZRH) / ATH
IAD - JNB (BCN/LIS coming back full-time)
EWR - CAI/DXB (I also think NCE/OPO/PMO/NAP will return, hopefully PRG as well, so I'm not including those), secondary Spain location

DARK HORSE: ADD/CMN/NBO/IST/MLE
Last edited by CALMSP on Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

MIflyer12

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:27 am

rjbesikof wrote:
Pacific:
South America:
Atlantic:

I want some of what you're smoking. DEN-PPT... hah hah! Just route over SFO services. SFO connects from all the major U.S. origins. I'm pretty sure the PDEWs on Liberal/Hays/Dodge City Kansas to Tahiti all round to zero.

One doesn't see a lot of NYC - deep South America on U.S. carriers, either. UA needs to deploy the many 787s somewhere but I don't think EWR-SCL/GIG will go. AA's JFK-GIG is only 3x weekly in February - and that's with a Brazilian partner. JFK-SCL gets LATAM 5x a week (and maybe some day a DL codeshare); AA is 3x weekly (again in Feb.)

x1234

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:28 am

Let's see, UA has been the king of the US3 back to India. ORD-BOM, SFO-BOM. Resumption of SFO-SIN as SIN opens to vaccinated US citizens. IAH-CDG?

gdavis003

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:43 am

Could just be biometrics related too

https://twitter.com/Clear/status/144802 ... 16672?s=20

LAXdude1023

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:49 am

gdavis003 wrote:
Could just be biometrics related too

https://twitter.com/Clear/status/144802 ... 16672?s=20

Could be.

I’ve been on this site since 2006. I’ve seen many of these threads. Some turn out and some are busts.

CALMSP

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:15 am

If thats the big announcement, seriously, what does that do that actually benefits anyone?

Wneast

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:21 am

CALMSP wrote:
If thats the big announcement, seriously, what does that do that actually benefits anyone?

If anyone read the envelope it says new INT routes on it so it’s new routes

jvlmd81

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:41 am

EWR to PDL!!!

sfojvjets

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:45 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
https://twitter.com/united/status/1448017388415459336?s=21

Before we even get into this, it doesn't seem that any routes are being announced tomorrow. What it did say on UA's Instagram is that the *clues* for the routes will be dropping tomorrow at 8AM. So it might actually be a while before there's a formal announcement. I'm excited to see what kind of clues they drop though... a cryptic video just like last time would be awesome.

c933103

Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:07 am

portola2727 wrote:
Please god, please let it be LAX-FRA and LAX-TLV. The one thing I really would want is UA to have a major expansion out of LAX. UAL has always been my favorite of the US3.

Didn't realize all these destination being desired by some are all about similar distance from Los Angeles.

atal17

Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:09 am

c933103 wrote:
portola2727 wrote:

Didn't realize all these destination being desired by some are all about similar distance from Los Angeles.

Didn’t know Los Angeles-Lhasa was bursting at the seams in terms of demand…

portola2727

Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:09 am

c933103 wrote:
portola2727 wrote:

If United launches LAX-DEL, I will personally fly on the inaugural flight.

sfojvjets

Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:27 am

portola2727 wrote:

They likely won't. Much smaller market than SFO-DEL. If there is an airline to launch it, it would be either AI/UK.

Ever wonder why UA hasn't yet launched LAX-TLV, despite burgeoning demand? It's because pre-COVID, 7 out of every 10 passengers flying United from LAX to TLV connected via SFO. Unless they feel that launching one route absolutely won't cannibalize the existence of another, there's not a good reason to do it, especially when it's very simple already for customers to make a quick connection by flying LAX-SFO-TLV. Now you can apply this logic to DEL, but then add in a lower PDEW, as well as the existence of the very thick SFO-DEL route. It simply doesn't make sense to add in this ULH market when they can already shuttle pax very efficiently through SFO (or even ORD/EWR for that matter).

https://www.anna.aero/2020/01/20/united ... viv-lax-1/

BW600

Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:49 am

GEO should be on the list. Energy demand from IAH..10 Billion barrels exxon is sitting on there. UA has already facilitated numerous B788 charters there

tpaewr

Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:06 am

I do not claim to know WHY, but there is unusually large group of pretty high up folks from the sale side leaving TPA in the afternoon. But it could be completely unrelated

portola2727

Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:07 am

sfojvjets wrote:
portola2727 wrote:

They likely won't. Much smaller market than SFO-DEL. If there is an airline to launch it, it would be either AI/UK.

Ever wonder why UA hasn't yet launched LAX-TLV, despite burgeoning demand? It's because pre-COVID, 7 out of every 10 passengers flying United from LAX to TLV connected via SFO. Unless they feel that launching one route absolutely won't cannibalize the existence of another, there's not a good reason to do it, especially when it's very simple already for customers to make a quick connection by flying LAX-SFO-TLV. Now you can apply this logic to DEL, but then add in a lower PDEW, as well as the existence of the very thick SFO-DEL route. It simply doesn't make sense to add in this ULH market when they can already shuttle pax very efficiently through SFO (or even ORD/EWR for that matter).

https://www.anna.aero/2020/01/20/united ... viv-lax-1/

Most people did so because SFO-TLV on UA flew almost daily while El Al from LAX flew only on certain days. LAX-TLV could be a hit for United without needing to cannibalize SFO. SFO has the tech traffic while LA has the VFR traffic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos