Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Drofereh
Topic Author

Old Terminal 2 LHR Questions

Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:17 pm

I often see videos filmed from Queen's building in the 80's/90's of terminal 2 at LHR. I'm intrigued to know how many gates there were? and what was the layout and did it connect to Terminal 1? Also did airlines have dedicated gates or was it first come first served. Would love any info/pics videos of the interior or aerial layout. Any other trivia welcome such as when did VIASA leave? When did Canadian Airlines move to T4? I think I spotted an Iberia 742 -was that a one-off? Thanks in advance
Last edited by SQ22 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: All caps

GCT64

Re: OLD TERMINAL 2 LHR QUESTIONS

Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:25 pm

I don't believe there was an airside connection between (old) T1 and (old T2) but there was a windy corridor that went landside between the two terminals and passed through the middle of the Queens Building (located between T1 and T2). The spotters viewing area was accessed through the top of the Queens Building and then stretched onto the roof of T2.

rutankrd

Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:13 pm

What became known as Terminal 2 was opened as the Europa Building in 1955 and was the first terminal within the centre plan . At the time long haul (what there was) used a shambles of buildings to north of the Bath Road whilst this was replaced with another terminal on the centre plan to be called Oceanic Terminal and later Terminal 3 . Terminal 1 was to come on line in 1969 and for much of the next decade and half these were the core of operations.

And all operated as independent buildings for that time

When the Europier extension was built out it was connected airside to both T1 and T2.

Originally what would become Terminal 2 had a large apron and simple ramps to the airside while two short piers were added . They had I think 15 direct stands on them with bridges though that number would reduce as a few end bridges were modified to take wide body aircraft,

UK airports have operated largely on common use so no dedicated gates in the main.

This YouTube video is worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReW2H43spJI

Viasa must have stopped around 1997 when they went bust after Iberia pulled the plug on their South American holdings. Canadian didn't actually serve Heathrow for very long before folding into Air Canada although as CP-Air they flew charter flights into Gatwick/Birmingham/Manchester and Prestwick from the late 60 to around 1990.

From time to time many of the European major carriers Lufthansa, Air France, Alitalia, Olympic, Aer Lingus and indeed Iberia would substitute 747s throughout the seventies and eighties and later.

From the early 70s Iberia normally operated a DC10 and occasionally the 747 on their evening flight for heavy cargo and South American connections indeed they continue to use a wide body on this rotation today.

There are mountain of reference articles , books , videos and images on the subject out there . You will probably find more than you can absorb from a simple search.

BTW the Terminal 2 restaurant on the first floor did the best cooked breakfast, coffee with panoramic views over runway 28L in the eighties happy times
Last edited by rutankrd on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

marky

Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:18 pm

I spent many a day on the Queen's Building in the 80s and 90s. Pretty sure there were no dedicated gates (not really a thing in the UK/Europe for the most part anyway). There weren't a huge number of gates, maybe 15-18. There's some good aerial views in the historical imagery on Google Earth.

Canadian moved across from LGW at some point after they changed the rules and let new airlines in, sometime in 1991. Not sure when they then moved to T4. I think VIASA were still operating to LHR when they ceased operations in 1997, or at least close to it.

Iberia 742s were occasional visitors, not regular, but A300s and DC-10s were common. I also remember seeing Air France and Olympic 742s on occasions. In the 1980s, on Saturdays in particular there would be multiple Ilyushins and Tupolevs from the Eastern Bloc countries, those were the days!

Inside I remember it as a really dingy place with low ceilings, landside at least

hpff

Re: Old Terminal 2 LHR Questions

Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:59 pm

Flew through once, in 2007, I definitely took interior photos but don't know where they are, will try and have a look. Wish interior airport terminal photos were a category here!

OA260

Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:25 pm

I loved the old T2 in the 80's/90's and flew through it on a regular basis when flying OA. No dedicated gates as mentioned but when OA used the B742 which I flew a good few times they used the bridge / gate closest to the T2 car park . They used the B742 at Christmas / Easter and election times .

I remember the ticket desks they were green plastic structures. JAT / TAP / Olympic were on departures level and different colours for Lufthansa / Alitalia were on check in ground floor . Air France and IIRC Iberia had a little annex section to the right on the check in floor also.

I spent many hours on the viewing terrace and they also had a Aviation shop . Really were good days.

CLEguy

Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:01 pm

Drofereh wrote:
I often see videos filmed from Queen's building in the 80's/90's of terminal 2 at LHR. I'm intrigued to know how many gates there were? and what was the layout and did it connect to Terminal 1? Also did airlines have dedicated gates or was it first come first served. Would love any info/pics videos of the interior or aerial layout. Any other trivia welcome such as when did VIASA leave? When did Canadian Airlines move to T4? I think I spotted an Iberia 742 -was that a one-off? Thanks in advance

Might some of your questions be answered here? Check out the LHR album for pics. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 968&type=3

skipness1E

Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:12 pm

When Flight Connections Centre opened you could walk airside between T1 and T2. Indeed the old EuroLounge was attached to both I think? Later when the EuroPier was built you could certainly walk between the two.
T2 had two piers and the old EuroLounge shared with T1. There were a couple of gates that could take heavies on the end of Pier 1.

Drofereh
Topic Author

Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:13 pm

Thank you all for these replies - any pics of the various euro 742's at T2?

Drofereh
Topic Author

Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:13 pm

skipness1E wrote:
When Flight Connections Centre opened you could walk airside between T1 and T2. Indeed the old EuroLounge was attached to both I think? Later when the EuroPier was built you could certainly walk between the two.
T2 had two piers and the old EuroLounge shared with T1. There were a couple of gates that could take heavies on the end of Pier 1.

@skipness1E when was the Europier built/put into action?

TUGMASTER

Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:24 pm

For a year or two in the early 80’s AF would send a 747 every Saturday morning.
However, due to AF 747 availability , you’d sometime see either the Air Madagascar 747 or the Air Gabon 747 on this short hop.
I guess they had some kind of deal with these carriers , either maint. Or similar.
LH heavys weren’t common, as they had A300/310’s . Pretty much the same with AZ heavys. TP 747’s also popped in every now and then, but became less common when they got their L1011-500’s.
SR heavys also not so common.
OA /EI 747,s quite regular.
TK DC10’s also. SN DC10’s /747’s quite a rare occurence. SK DC10 quite often, with the odd 747 thrown in. There was also a SK 747 lsd to Nigerian in Nigerian colours, but would regularly be swapped out for a SK liveried 747 when it went tech/ or needed maint.
Plenty of room for wide bodies on the Euro pier, but prior to that G14 was a favourite parking gate for a wide body.
Also FYI, the 2 Golf gates, 12 & 14 were the first at LHR to get jetbridges iirc.

Edit: forgot to add KL, DC10’s more regular than the 747’s which weren’t so common, and similar to the AF deal with the exotic 747’, sometimes you’d see a PAL DC10 on this route.
They also used the Surinam DC8 when DC8’s were common into LHR.

skipness1E

Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:39 pm

Drofereh wrote:
skipness1E wrote:

@skipness1E when was the Europier built/put into action?

Mid 1990s I think?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos