Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mesa Air to get in drone delivery business

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:21 am

Mesa Air Group says it is planning to test home delivery of food and beverages via drones in Nevada.

The regional airline is teaming up with Nevada based drone maker Flirtey to offer food deliveries to less densely populated parts of Reno.
The drones can carry up to 8 pounds the equivalent of four large pizzas. Mesa will initially operate 4, with options for 500 more and expansion to other markets.

Flirtey delivery drones were first flown in 2015 have been approved by the FAA and utilized by companies such as Amazon.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mesa-air-m ... 091?page=1

...let see how this goes :duck:

jetmatt777

Re: Mesa Air to get in drone delivery business

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:28 am

You have to give credit to Mesa for at least always looking for opportunities outside of the box.

Cargo 737’s
United’s electric regional sky taxi.
Mokulele
This…

You can’t fault them for dipping their toes in potential work outside of the traditional regional model.

jetwet1

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:34 am

Interesting, I figured that the first use for drones would be shuttling blood/meds between hospitals. Fixed locations out of the way of LAS.

Not being funny, I wonder how long it will be before one is shot down, the Florida man gene is strong in certain parts of the Vegas valley.

atcsundevil

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:07 am

I keep checking the date and wondering why it's not saying that it's April 1st. I can't fault successful companies for branching out and innovating, but the problem is that Mesa isn't what I'd call a successful company. I still can't believe they survived bankruptcy, and I'll never understand how JO has hung on for all these years. This is either some sort of strange PR stunt, or they're really risking losing sight of what they're actually in business to do.

N628AU

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:28 am

JO is finally getting rid of those pesky workers he has to employ and pay I guess.

kabq737

Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:29 am

atcsundevil wrote:
I keep checking the date and wondering why it's not saying that it's April 1st. I can't fault successful companies for branching out and innovating, but the problem is that Mesa isn't what I'd call a successful company. I still can't believe they survived bankruptcy, and I'll never understand how JO has hung on for all these years. This is either some sort of strange PR stunt, or they're really risking losing sight of what they're actually in business to do.

This. This exactly.

Sometimes I wonder if we will see Mesa evolve into a completely different type of company over time. They keep throwing ideas at the wall. Eventually something might stick and work out for them. At that point why be a bottom feeder CRJ operator? Maybe change is what’s best for them. They’re not exactly a shining star at what they do right now anyway.

blackrock

Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:35 am

Quite scaring from a certain point of view: drone deliverying something without any human controlor or supervision.

I think this photo is just marketing, I would not feel really safe to see something flying with a cable and a load attached to it around a city.

When something goes wrong and the cable will breakup releasing the load on the head of someone, I wonder who will be charged with a legal action: the drone?

atcsundevil

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:27 pm

kabq737 wrote:
This. This exactly.

Sometimes I wonder if we will see Mesa evolve into a completely different type of company over time. They keep throwing ideas at the wall. Eventually something might stick and work out for them. At that point why be a bottom feeder CRJ operator? Maybe change is what’s best for them. They’re not exactly a shining star at what they do right now anyway.

Yeah. I mean, they've had some pretty harebrained ideas over the years (and by "they", I mean JO), but this is absolutely right up there. At least most of their ideas still involve being in the business of flying. Kunming was weird and stupid, but I still see where they were going with it. Same thing with Go! or buying the Spacejet. Even flying cargo is a little crazy, because I don't see how they can make it work long term, but it's still in relatively in their wheelhouse. Drone delivery is taking them in an entirely different direction. They make their pilots buy their iPads, and now they want to be a tech company?? I'm very much failing to see how this is a logical progression for a company that doesn't even operate under its own branding.

dstblj52

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:16 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
This. This exactly.

Yeah. I mean, they've had some pretty harebrained ideas over the years (and by "they", I mean JO), but this is absolutely right up there. At least most of their ideas still involve being in the business of flying. Kunming was weird and stupid, but I still see where they were going with it. Same thing with Go! or buying the Spacejet. Even flying cargo is a little crazy, because I don't see how they can make it work long term, but it's still in relatively in their wheelhouse. Drone delivery is taking them in an entirely different direction. They make their pilots buy their iPads, and now they want to be a tech company?? I'm very much failing to see how this is a logical progression for a company that doesn't even operate under its own branding.

Im struggling to see mesa's angle here who wants to make drones to sell to them instead of selling them to the big players who already have last mile operations

ScottB

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:25 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
You can’t fault them for dipping their toes in potential work outside of the traditional regional model.

I can; I'd expect them to devote resources to improving their regional operation (you know, the one that keeps the lights on) before chasing after the next cockamamie idea. It'd be one thing if they ran an operation as good as OO (in normal times).

jetmatt777

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:40 pm

ScottB wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

I can; I'd expect them to devote resources to improving their regional operation (you know, the one that keeps the lights on) before chasing after the next cockamamie idea. It'd be one thing if they ran an operation as good as OO (in normal times).

How many resources are being devoted into this?

I dislike Mesa for many reasons but this is not one of them.

dstblj52

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:42 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
ScottB wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

Mesa keeps trying these stupid schemes and they keep blowing up on them

ScottB

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:56 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

I get that you don't necessarily solve a problem by throwing more bodies at it. But people call this airline Messy for a reason. If they're devoting resources to all number of harebrained schemes, why can't they devote resources to get the damn operation fixed?

nws2002

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:32 pm

ScottB wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

I get that you don't necessarily solve a problem by throwing more bodies at it. But people call this airline Messy for a reason. If they're devoting resources to all number of harebrained schemes, why can't they devote resources to get the damn operation fixed?

Why do they need to fix the operation if the majors continue to contract with them? Mesa is the cheapest for a reason. They are not going to improve operational reliability unless it is demanded by their customers.

airzona11

Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:56 pm

Start with small packages and deliveries, then to small air taxis. I guess this is the new "adjacent possible".

nws2002 wrote:
ScottB wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

Why do they need to fix the operation if the majors continue to contract with them? Mesa is the cheapest for a reason. They are not going to improve operational reliability unless it is demanded by their customers.

Bingo - Mesa is just the brand that the majors use to hid the race to the bottom via regionals.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos