Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BWIAirport
Topic Author

American Airlines to add logo to winglets

Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:58 pm

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1452425302085447687

Here is... an idea. I'm honestly still not convinced these pictures aren't photoshopped, but I have no real reason to believe they are.

My main issue is that the angle of the winglet and the angle of the logo are different. It won't look seamless, like it really belongs there. I'll give them props for trying to depart from a boring gray winglet.

Polot

Re: American Airlines to add logo to winglets

Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:01 pm

Although I understand the necessity to ensure the entire logo fits, it looks awkward having a smaller triangular logo in a triangular space that is swept back at a completely different angle.

Would have been nicer to just do a motif reminiscent of the tail.

USAirALB

Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:06 pm

I'm not sure why they couldn't have added the tail motif somehow in that space.

A couple of years ago, select AA 738s received red stripes on the tips of the winglet as part of a test. That looked much sharper than this IMO.

DaCubbyBearBar

Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:55 pm

FIX THE TAIL FIRST…. Then worry about the winglets

CarlosSi

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:26 pm

Not a fan of any logo being EVERYWHERE on the plane. Just looks redundant like the airline is afraid you will forget who you’re flying with or who they are.

Though Delta made it work (kinda) on their a350. Front and back is ok obviously. Winglets? Nah. I think the magic number is 2.

It could be photoshopped but this guy doesn’t seem like that kind of guy. Or maybe he is. Not sure why AA deems this to be so pressing they add their awkward logo on the winglets now.

Polot

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:31 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
Not a fan of any logo being EVERYWHERE on the plane. Just looks redundant like the airline is afraid you will forget who you’re flying with or what they are.

Though Delta made it work (kinda) on their a350. Front and back is ok obviously. Winglets? Nah. I think the magic number is 2.

It could be photoshopped but this guy doesn’t seem like that kind of guy. Or maybe he is. Not sure why AA deems this to be so pressing they add their awkward logo on the winglets now.

The same reason everyone is adding logos to their winglets. The winglet is viewable from a majority of the cabin so whenever a passenger takes picture from plane and posts it on Instagram or wherever it is free advertising.

jetmatt777

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:33 pm

I liked the old AA.com winglets. Subtle and not too in your face.

southwest1675

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:41 pm

It looks super tacky in my opinion.

jholio

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:14 pm

I like it, I'm surprised it took them this long to do it. I guess their brand standards forbid it and it would probably just add unneeded complexity, but they should have changed the angle of the logo to have the back edge of the logo alight with the back of the winglet, while keeping the eagle beak facing forward. That, IMO, would have looked much better, even if the logo itself is slightly different.

CarlosSi

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:15 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
I liked the old AA.com winglets. Subtle and not too in your face.

Very much so!

PITFlyer330

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:25 pm

sadly its not photoshopped. Heres another picture https://twitter.com/avshaq/status/14524 ... 70534?s=20

I hate it

MIflyer12

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:42 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

It looks busy, IMHO. And that's on a livery that, while having a modern tail design, also has a very busy tail design.

N965UW

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:46 pm

Not a fan. A miniature version of what's on the tail MIGHT look better (similar to Delta's A350s), but putting logos in too many places is not appealing IMO. They won't get the free advertising on the LUS A32x or their entire widebody fleet since they don't have winglets. In a way the existing paint scheme actually makes AA stand out because no other major US carrier has plain gray winglets. To be fair the symbol does look like a winglet though.

BWIAirport
Topic Author

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:50 pm

The old AA cheatline was easy to translate to any shape, any surface. So it was very feasible to wrap it around the winglet. The current AA logo is not nearly as flexible. (That's why I had strong oppositions when people tried to put the new logo over the entire tailplane. It's a different shape and you can't force that).
I'm a color guy for sure so I love the effort to dress up the winglets a bit, but this outright doesn't work. I'm sure their design team could brainstorm for 20 minutes and come up with a better red, white, and blue wrap that can universally be applied to the fleet's winglets. Like some have mentioned, it doesn't have to be busy. Just a bright little accent would look very nice.
Another option could be to shrink the size of the logo a bit. The only real way I could see this working is there was more negative space around it. That way, the angle/shape disagreement wouldn't be nearly as obvious.

chonetsao

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:55 pm

As a consumer I could not care less.

As a shareholder, I question why make the unnecessary investments now.

So yes I hate it.

FlyingJhawk

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:04 pm

Swap the two.

Brandon757

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:18 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
Not a fan of any logo being EVERYWHERE on the plane. Just looks redundant like the airline is afraid you will forget who you’re flying with or who they are.

That is how I feel about NK. Instead of the word "SPIRIT" on the tail I think they should have come up with a nice "S". I'm talking about their most recent livery.

LH707330

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:22 pm

CarlosSi wrote:

I take it you do a backflip then whenever you see KLM birds with all the winglet and engine crown logos? :P

I quite like the DL winglet widgets, the A330ceo ones in plain blue always looked boring to me.

This AA scheme is already abhorrent to me, so an off-kilter logo seems like par for the course.

ztarizona

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:32 pm

BWIAirport wrote:

Here is... an idea. I'm honestly still not convinced these pictures aren't photoshopped, but I have no real reason to believe they are.

My main issue is that the angle of the winglet and the angle of the logo are different. It won't look seamless, like it really belongs there. I'll give them props for trying to depart from a boring gray winglet.

Yuck - that rear line of the logo should follow the edge of one side of the winglet otherwise it is noise to the eyes. It is essentially a triangle-like figure superimposed onto another triangle figure - something is wrong but it can be hard for people to know exactly what. Those conflicting proportions are like a majorly out of tune band playing the national anthem lmao

744SPX

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:46 pm

The new AA logo blows. They had the best logo around and canned it for no good reason. End of story.

phlswaflyer

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:49 pm

chonetsao wrote:

So yes I hate it.

Exactly - why are they spending his money????? There will be ZERO branding or revenue uplift which is all Parker cares about.

CDGIAD

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:52 pm

Well the logo angle not matching the winglet's one, the blue top partly cut out, it's not harmonious.
Just like the overall livery where the tail has nothing to do with the rest of the logo.
At least they could have shrinked the eagle so it would fully fit on the winglet.

tjwgrr

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:53 pm

That will look great on their 777s......... :mischievous:

ContinentalEWR

Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:03 pm

It looks strange and off balance, but it's the only thing AA can really put on a winglet these days. AA.com is kind of not relevant nowadays as everyone uses the internet. The stylized flag on the detail is too detailed and busy for the limited space on the winglet.

The AA livery is actually pretty nice, crisp and modern with clean lines. The swept back eagle is a bit limited in where and what it can be used for. The tail, though kind of feels like an afterthought, design wise, has grown on me. At least its not an all white livery with a logo slapped on the front.

CMHChris

Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:14 pm

The design on the winglet should be on the tail as well, I don't like the tail at all.

F27500

Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:54 pm

This livery somehow manages to be both tacky and boring & uninspired all at the same time. It needs all the help it can get, though I'm not sure these decorated winglets are it.

Brianpr3

Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:01 pm

Should have fitted the design to the winglets

ScottB

Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:07 pm

ztarizona wrote:
Yuck - that rear line of the logo should follow the edge of one side of the winglet otherwise it is noise to the eyes. It is essentially a triangle-like figure superimposed onto another triangle figure - something is wrong but it can be hard for people to know exactly what. Those conflicting proportions are like a majorly out of tune band playing the national anthem lmao

Yeah it really is just jarring because the edges of the logo just don't line up with the edges of the winglet. It feels like something that was stuck on there with little thought to proportion or position. It's not at the top, it's not at the bottom, it doesn't even look centered. The right strategy, IMO, would have been to modify the "flight symbol" to line up with the edges of the winglet and drop the eagle's beak in front. It'd still be an obvious echo of the brand with the colors and the curve in the white section at the trailing edge.

Cdydatzigs

Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:13 pm

744SPX wrote:
The new AA logo blows. They had the best logo around and canned it for no good reason.

It was 45 years old, that's why.

TWA772LR

Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:19 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

It looks busy, IMHO. And that's on a livery that, while having a modern tail design, also has a very busy tail design.

I'm kinda more in favor of a super imposed logo on the tail then the flag on the winglets.

AmericanAir88

Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:05 pm

BWIAirport wrote:

I kind of wish they added the previous A”A logo for the winglets. It would be a nice homage to the excellent previous logo. I miss those liveries. I even miss the AA.com on the winglet.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a double A on the winglet? Or do airlines not use previous logos that much.

AmericanAir88

Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:09 pm

I so wish we got the other tail design you could vote on. https://www.travelcodex.com/american-ai ... ry-or-old/

Keeps the modern name/feel and includes that awesome A”A Tail.

FGITD

Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:16 pm

AmericanAir88 wrote:

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a double A on the winglet? Or do airlines not use previous logos that much.

Defeats the purpose of branding to have multiple logos. Especially when one is your old one.

Just fit the logo to the wingtip. It looks like a cheap sticker thrown on as the plane was leaving the paint shop

AmericanAir88

Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:18 pm

FGITD wrote:
AmericanAir88 wrote:

Defeats the purpose of branding to have multiple logos. Especially when one is your old one.

Just fit the logo to the wingtip. It looks like a cheap sticker thrown on as the plane was leaving the paint shop

Yeah I guess the branding wouldn’t work well. I just miss the previous livery. In all honest they should have kept the tail AA and put the american flag on the winglet

FlyingJhawk

Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:18 pm

AmericanAir88 wrote:
I so wish we got the other tail design you could vote on. https://www.travelcodex.com/american-ai ... ry-or-old/

Wait, the employees chose the new logo? Did not know that. The other option looks much, much better.

Also, the logo on the winglet looks like how my decals looked on the plastic model planes I built when I was a kid. Crooked.

DL_Mech

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:01 pm

Ditching the iconic Eagle for the Flightsymbol was a bad decision. Even JAL brought back the Crane on the tail.
Last edited by DL_Mech on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zkojq

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:03 pm

That looks awful. Far too busy and the lines don't line up with the winglet angle. Did the corporate branding department not spend any time trying to make it work??

CBBW

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:08 pm

I think I’m one of the few who really likes the logo but it looks weird on the winglet. I don’t mind the tail design as a piece of design but it doesn’t match the logo or wordmark, IMO, and makes everything look disjointed.

BWIAirport
Topic Author

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:44 pm

AmericanAir88 wrote:

Yeah I could never get behind that one. It was a knee-jerk thing after initial negative reaction to the 2013 tail. It combines two logos that don't go together and the final product looks like a roll of aluminum foil.

lx2iah

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:45 pm

This is like putting lipstick on a pig. AA has WAY MORE to fix with their “broken” airline before they add this new logo
To their aircraft winglets! A) DP & Team have to be ousted, B) Bring back hot meals and “true” First Class service on their domestic flights, C) Get ALL the aircraft equipped with PVOD screens with plugs including USB, D) Give all employees the ability to “do the right thing” for their customers when IROPS occur, E) Get the flights timed to be “on-time”, F) Get employee morale built up again where everyone is friendly and has a smile on their face, G) Fire the employees who don’t want to give excellent customer service… everyone else can fill in H - Z what you think needs to be done to fix this airline!

caoimhin

Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:28 pm

Cdydatzigs wrote:
744SPX wrote:
The new AA logo blows. They had the best logo around and canned it for no good reason.

Reasonable minds can differ, but that’s likely not a ‘good’ reason for many (myself included). One of those ‘don’t fix what’s not broken’ sort of things.

With the 3D gradients, the new logo manages to look more dated than the 45 year old flat one it replaced.

TWA772LR

Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:33 pm

caoimhin wrote:
Cdydatzigs wrote:
744SPX wrote:

Reasonable minds can differ, but that’s likely not a ‘good’ reason for many (myself included). One of those ‘don’t fix what’s not broken’ sort of things.

With the 3D gradients, the new logo manages to look more dated than the 45 year old flat one it replaced.

I'm pretty impartial to the livery but the previous one was truly timeless. Aeroflot/Northwest grey/silver with the cheat line would've been perfect for the Airbus and 787 fleets, maybe even make a swooshy cheat line and call it a day

speedbird52

Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:35 pm

PITFlyer330 wrote:
sadly its not photoshopped. Heres another picture https://twitter.com/avshaq/status/14524 ... 70534?s=20

I hate it

I still think photoshop. You can see where the brush tool is a slightly different color right under the logo. The placement doesn't look centered either.

If this is real it's horrific

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:39 am

AmericanAir88 wrote:

I kind of wish they added the previous A”A logo for the winglets. It would be a nice homage to the excellent previous logo. I miss those liveries. I even miss the AA.com on the winglet.

Qantas have added their legacy ‘flying kangaroo’ logo from the 1960s to the nose of their aircraft, which is a nice touch, but personally I think their livery is too ‘busy’, despite the fundamentals of white fuselage/red tail being very simple. The 787s have all white engines, without the extra kangaroo, and I think that looks a lot better.

BarrenLucidity

Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:56 am

It would have been cool to add their various retro logos to the winglets. AA, USAir, TWA, etc.

N383SW

Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:06 am

CMHChris wrote:
The design on the winglet should be on the tail as well, I don't like the tail at all.

Agreed!

452QX

Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:24 am

speedbird52 wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:

I hate it

I still think photoshop. You can see where the brush tool is a slightly different color right under the logo. The placement doesn't look centered either.

If this is real it's horrific

It’s real, there’s a few more shots of it out and about now. AA has put almost no thought into this, I wonder if they are even going to try it on older airbus wingtip fences

DenverTed

Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:38 am

Should have gone with three red and white stripes as a continuation of the bottom of the flag on the tail.

Sooner787

Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:42 am

The log on the winglet isn't a bad idea, but those logos are way too big!!!!!!!
They need a logo about half the size shown

NorthTexAAs

Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:01 am

phlswaflyer wrote:
chonetsao wrote:

So yes I hate it.

Exactly - why are they spending his money????? There will be ZERO branding or revenue uplift which is all Parker cares about.

On the outside surfaces, it makes the winglet more visible and reduces damage. On the inside, who knows?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos