Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

leader1
Topic Author

Airport Catering Staffing Shortages

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:12 am

Just curious, but how bad are staffing shortages in catering at major airports now? My flight from EWR-LAS was delayed two hours because they couldn’t get catering done in a timely manner because they were severely understaffed. Is this a problem at most major airports? I’m not familiar with the catering industry and how much it pays and if the wage level is creating difficulty in hiring employees. But NJ does have a relatively high minimum wage compared to other states. Maybe someone with insight can comment.

Somewhat related, but DEN hosted a job fair with, presumably, similarly types of job openings. They were expecting a few thousand to show up and only had around a hundred or so there.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/l ... s-job-fair

CALMSP

Re: Airport Catering Staffing Shortages

Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:36 am

there has been a bunch of flights that have been delayed for catering...........since UA actually puts that on their delay updates as to why the flight didn't depart on time. Not surprising though, UA wants to pay as little as possible.

leader1
Topic Author

Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:14 am

CALMSP wrote:
there has been a bunch of flights that have been delayed for catering...........since UA actually puts that on their delay updates as to why the flight didn't depart on time. Not surprising though, UA wants to pay as little as possible.

Is it UA or one of their vendors? I thought Gate Gourmet handled UA catering at EWR?

Regardless, I get that these places don’t pay that well and employees might be loathe to work there, but UA needs to do something about it when the catering truck takes two hours to show up to the plane. That’s unacceptable.

And it was the pilot who mentioned that the catering truck was a no-show. He said they were understaffed because the company couldn’t hire anyone.

Blerg

Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:20 am

Why can't UA hire anyone?

Scarebus34

Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:38 am

leader1 wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

Is it UA or one of their vendors? I thought Gate Gourmet handled UA catering at EWR?

Regardless, I get that these places don’t pay that well and employees might be loathe to work there, but UA needs to do something about it when the catering truck takes two hours to show up to the plane. That’s unacceptable.

And it was the pilot who mentioned that the catering truck was a no-show. He said they were understaffed because the company couldn’t hire anyone.

UA recently outsourced its kitchens in EWR/DEN/IAH/CLE... the transition is not until next month. Don't blame the remaining employees for lack of motivation...

Boof02671

Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:46 am

Most flight kitchen/catering companies have laid off employees

Aquila3

Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:14 am

Two hours+ delay in some Countries may entitle the pax for compensation, i.e. moneyback plus a couple of hundreds for the damages. Multiply .
If that was in place, UA would quickly find a solution.
So far they have no incentives to do that.

StinkyPinky

Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:38 am

The hiring shortage isnt only due to low wages, but also finding workers that can pass a background check and that also posses a commercial driver's license.

jreeves96

Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:00 am

A few years ago I applied to be a driver for Gate Gourmet at CVG. I was immediately rejected in the interview because I didn't have a CDL or an associates degree. And the job only paid I believe $13/hour. I had spent about 8 months before that driving commercially for TruGreen. So if they still require a CDL and an AS they can kick rocks. They're just digging their own grave.

Noshow

Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:12 am

How much compensation will a passenger receive for missed catering? Wouldn't this be the way to force catering to be ready and served?

T5towbar

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:31 pm

leader1 wrote:
Just curious, but how bad are staffing shortages in catering at major airports now? My flight from EWR-LAS was delayed two hours because they couldn’t get catering done in a timely manner because they were severely understaffed. Is this a problem at most major airports? I’m not familiar with the catering industry and how much it pays and if the wage level is creating difficulty in hiring employees. But NJ does have a relatively high minimum wage compared to other states. Maybe someone with insight can comment.

Somewhat related, but DEN hosted a job fair with, presumably, similarly types of job openings. They were expecting a few thousand to show up and only had around a hundred or so there.

Gate Gourmet is now the vendor that took over. Most of the former UA (Chelsea / UA Food Services) employees stayed on (at the loss of their Company Seniority since they are no longer UA employees) and other things. I don't know the pay scale, but there is supposed to be an airport minimum wage of about 15.00. Probably more with a CDL (which is required for the larger trucks).

Even with the former employees, Gate Gourmet is just getting used to the large UA operation here. They have all of the former UA vehicles (they are putting GG logos on the small and large trucks), but I don't know about the kitchen situation (as far as staffing, etc.), since they are probably using both kitchens. Give it some time as the transition takes effect. They have been on time to all of the flights I've worked on the ramp. Staffing is tough everywhere, in every department or occupation these days.

MIflyer12

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:53 pm

Noshow wrote:
How much compensation will a passenger receive for missed catering? Wouldn't this be the way to force catering to be ready and served?

There won't be enough passengers requesting compensation to move the needle on UA's motivation.

Boof02671

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:25 am

StinkyPinky wrote:
The hiring shortage isnt only due to low wages, but also finding workers that can pass a background check and that also posses a commercial driver's license.

They laid off workers recently.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:26 pm

Instead of all that piss-elegant stuff that is airline food it could be easier and cheaper to come up with a menu of really easy to prepare, decent shelf life, easy to serve, and easy to eat in a confined seat food. Ignore what gets served in international business and first class* (some of that stuff really is good - and expensive). Diabetics have to learn to balance diet, exercise, meds so a lot of us get really good at it. The lesson for the luckier portion of society is that we are very purposeful about how we eat, and some of us can adapt to whatever is available. There are really nutritious foods that fit the bill and that everyone likes. There are also fast food items that fit the bill (those ubiquitous breakfast sandwiches, anyone?) And junk food galore.

*and many of those passenger count on sleeping in those lay-flat seats.

dalmit

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:00 pm

leader1 wrote:

They were expecting 5,000 people to show up....but about 100 showed up...but he doesn't consider it a failure. That's some spin right there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos