Last announcement, while it involved 1 789 route (DEN-MUC) and 1 788 route (ORD-MXP), the routes were on 767s. Since China and Hong Kong are closed for the foreseeable future and those routes were on the 788/789 and the Boeing 777, I have a feeling we will see this route announcement involve more 787 and 777 routes.
My predictions are more routes to existing destinations and changes to routes that already exist:
Potential new routes:
1) LAX-FRA could go 2x daily year-round (we could see something like summer 2x LH 748, winter 1x LH 748 and 1x UA 789.)
2) IAH-ZRH (IAH would be connected to all of the LH Group hubs that UA already serves [FRA, MUC, ZRH]).
3) DEN-AMS (would prevent KLM from adding DEN).
Potential changes to existing routes:
1) SFO-HKG/PVG drops down to 1x daily.
2) EWR-ATH could go year-round and 2x daily in the summer to take on DL JFK-ATH.
3) IAD-MUC could go to 2x daily. Before UA doubled EWR-FRA, many of the other UA FRA routes have more than 1x daily flight. Maybe they could experiment with 2x daily flights to MUC.
Routes that may go bye-bye:
1) SFO-CTU (China is probably going to remain shut for a long time).
2) EWR-HKG (Before COVID, UA reduced EWR-HKG to subdaily, https://onemileatatime.com/united-scale ... reductions
3) LAX-PVG (All of UAs domestic competitors have dropped LAX-PVG, even Delta who is partnering with China Eastern)