Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
n9801f
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:29 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:44 am

USAirALB wrote:
AA did fly JFK-LIM-CUZ in the late 1990s, and still holds the traffic rights to operate into CUZ.

Yes, I also remember AA flying to CUZ. But I thought it was a loop, JFK-CUZ-LIM-JFK, no?

Due to altitude of CUZ ( > 11,000') I suspect the 757 couldn't have carried meaningful payload on a hypothetical CUZ-JFK nonstop anyhow.

As for UA, could a MAX 7 carry meaningful payload out of CUZ to IAH or EWR? In addition to altitude, I think CUZ is surrounded by tricky Andean terrain.
 
N292UX
Posts: 785
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:03 am

No reason to launch CUZ right now when they're building a new airport there that will make it easier for longer haul flights. I'd imagine AA would jump on it first from MIA and I half expect NK to jump on it too from FLL down the road.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 9075
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: United International Announcement October 28

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:10 am

phllax wrote:
sldispatcher wrote:
BB78710 wrote:

1) United has the largest widebody fleet of the US3

2) United did not retire a single widebody aircraft during the pandemic

3) Of the US3 United was the largest operator between the US and Asia

4) Recovery in Asia isn't expected to rebound until 2023 at the earliest

5) Widebodies that were devoted to their Asia operations can be temporarily redeployed to Europe, India, Africa, or even South America

American and Delta at some point will have announcements of their own but United has positioned itself to take advantage of this unique opportunity.

Starting in the spring of 2021 United flew its largest domestic widebody schedule since its merger with Continental. It is looking like for spring, summer and early fall of 2022 United is posed to move many of those widebody aircraft over to international routes in an attempt to cash in on what many expect to be overwhelming demand for travel across the Atlantic.


I think points 1 and 2 are more important than anything in terms of United putting itself in a position to respond to any international demand as it returns..not if..but when. If we can get from now through Christmas with the current declining pandemic situation in the US holding strong, the federal level mask mandates should tumble down and put further positive pressure on travel demand here and abroad. And boy is it ever pent up. United seems to be thinking the same thing.


While #2 may be correct, they still have the 772A’s grounded which were covering Hawaii, Cancun, and Ireland and are now flown with Polaris equipment. These will need to be re-assigned or replaced if there’s much more international growth requiring wide bodies.


At this stage, United plan on returning all 52 PW 777s to service during the first half of 2022. Presumably they are somewhat confident in PW and Boeing delivering on-time if they are scheduling so much new international flying.
 
ahj2000
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:34 am

I’d be keen to think LATAM too, because Asia is in the dumps still and they just announced a bunch of EU stuff, but it’ll have to be US-originating for the most part OR to countries that have Made sure that they’re using the WHO “approved” vaccines. The others aren’t permitted as US-recognized with the new rules.
Perhaps Australia as it reopens, but we’d have to see. Maybe load a 3 weekly, see how it books, and adjust demand accordingly.
 
smi0006
Posts: 2900
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:01 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Fuling wrote:
With Australia opening up in stages, could we see something resumed or added there? Maybe SFO-MEL resumed or even a new SFO-BNE?


While competition will be welcomed on SFO-BNE/MEL against QF, the question remains whether if there's the demand for two carriers on the SFO-BNE route considering UA will basically be getting minimal interline feed from their rival QF* in both BNE and MEL, despite this being offset with their SFO hub.

Edit: *Not sure if UA or VA has restored their interline since that agreement from what I recall terminated a few years ago.


What about BNE-LAX? VA used to send 77W along with QF, with VA leaving the market surely UA could squeeze in 3weekly until it’s back to full force next year. QF flew BNE-SFO for a while - so potential as AU reopens and maker rebuilds. I’d say QLD Gove abs BNE will be throwing money at airlines to come back also.
 
VCy
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:01 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:16 am

Long shot but the US recently announced that Cyprus will be included in the visa waiver list. Perhaps EWR-LCA-??? could potentially happen?
 
rjbesikof
Posts: 465
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:21 am

Last announcement, while it involved 1 789 route (DEN-MUC) and 1 788 route (ORD-MXP), the routes were on 767s. Since China and Hong Kong are closed for the foreseeable future and those routes were on the 788/789 and the Boeing 777, I have a feeling we will see this route announcement involve more 787 and 777 routes.
My predictions are more routes to existing destinations and changes to routes that already exist:
Potential new routes:
1) LAX-FRA could go 2x daily year-round (we could see something like summer 2x LH 748, winter 1x LH 748 and 1x UA 789.)
2) IAH-ZRH (IAH would be connected to all of the LH Group hubs that UA already serves [FRA, MUC, ZRH]).
3) DEN-AMS (would prevent KLM from adding DEN).
Potential changes to existing routes:
1) SFO-HKG/PVG drops down to 1x daily.
2) EWR-ATH could go year-round and 2x daily in the summer to take on DL JFK-ATH.
3) IAD-MUC could go to 2x daily. Before UA doubled EWR-FRA, many of the other UA FRA routes have more than 1x daily flight. Maybe they could experiment with 2x daily flights to MUC.
Routes that may go bye-bye:
1) SFO-CTU (China is probably going to remain shut for a long time).
2) EWR-HKG (Before COVID, UA reduced EWR-HKG to subdaily, https://onemileatatime.com/united-scale ... reductions).
3) LAX-PVG (All of UAs domestic competitors have dropped LAX-PVG, even Delta who is partnering with China Eastern)
 
OlympicATH
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2001 8:43 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:04 am

rjbesikof wrote:
.
2) EWR-ATH could go year-round and 2x daily in the summer to take on DL JFK-ATH.


Both unlikely in my view. While EK does operate ATH-EWR year-round, none of the US3 fly to Greece year-round and I would expect DL to be the first to give it a shot again (they actually had JFK-ATH loaded for next winter a few weeks ago but its zeroed out now). CO flew to ATH year-round when it first launched the route back in 2007 or so but they went seasonal after just one (maybe two) years.

And I don't see UA adding a second daily in the summer.

ORD-ATH seasonal more likely in my view.
 
LBA1432
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:26 am

VCy wrote:
Long shot but the US recently announced that Cyprus will be included in the visa waiver list. Perhaps EWR-LCA-??? could potentially happen?


I'd love to see it, but it'll never happen. Is there really enough market and demand for a non stop Cyprus - US? Although Cyprus is well established and popular with tourists from Europe, Russia and the Middle East, except for Cypriot / Greek diaspora in the US, my guess is that most American's wouldn't know Cyprus existed nor have any desire to travel there - which is a shame, as its a beautiful country. My only guess for this to work, and its a pipedream, is as an extension to an existing ATH service ie: EWR-ATH-LCA (which could make for an interesting fifth freedom ;) ).
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5756
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:57 am

ahj2000 wrote:
I’d be keen to think LATAM too, because Asia is in the dumps still and they just announced a bunch of EU stuff, but it’ll have to be US-originating for the most part OR to countries that have Made sure that they’re using the WHO “approved” vaccines. The others aren’t permitted as US-recognized with the new rules.

Which countries would that limit it down to?

V/F
 
chonetsao
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:55 am

Let me start:

Tahiti
Fiji
Maldives
LPA
Jeddah
Belgrade
 
finnishway
Posts: 583
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:13 am

I guess there will be route to CPH.

Norwegian not flying long haul anymore and SAS is financially in troubles. AY already started new long haul routes from ARN to fill the gap.
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 974
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:05 am

smi0006 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
Fuling wrote:
With Australia opening up in stages, could we see something resumed or added there? Maybe SFO-MEL resumed or even a new SFO-BNE?


While competition will be welcomed on SFO-BNE/MEL against QF, the question remains whether if there's the demand for two carriers on the SFO-BNE route considering UA will basically be getting minimal interline feed from their rival QF* in both BNE and MEL, despite this being offset with their SFO hub.

Edit: *Not sure if UA or VA has restored their interline since that agreement from what I recall terminated a few years ago.


What about BNE-LAX? VA used to send 77W along with QF, with VA leaving the market surely UA could squeeze in 3weekly until it’s back to full force next year. QF flew BNE-SFO for a while - so potential as AU reopens and maker rebuilds. I’d say QLD Gove abs BNE will be throwing money at airlines to come back also.


LAX isn't a strong 'hub' for UA and apart from SYD, LHR and HND, LAX is mostly a O&D domestic hub.
SFO is UA's primary hub, thus if UA were to expand to BNE in the future it would likely be from SFO.

I personally would say DL is the better candidate on BNE-LAX (due to VA partnership) if they had the spare aircraft for it. Most of DL's widebodies are on higher yielding routes, and BNE would be way down DL's list (I'd suspect MEL would be first otherwise if DL was looking at TransPac expansion in the future).
Last edited by SCFlyer on Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
Tristar787
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:08 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:36 am

Is LO coming back next year with seasonal JFK-KRK? If not, I could see UA adding it seasonally from EWR. VFR traffic from NJ/NY plus it’s a growing area for tourism. Would also echo the recent ‘out-of-the-box’ adds like EWR-TFS and EWR-PMI.
Last edited by Tristar787 on Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
ContinentalEWR
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 2:50 am

Re: United International Announcement October 28

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:37 am

Sydscott wrote:
phllax wrote:
sldispatcher wrote:

I think points 1 and 2 are more important than anything in terms of United putting itself in a position to respond to any international demand as it returns..not if..but when. If we can get from now through Christmas with the current declining pandemic situation in the US holding strong, the federal level mask mandates should tumble down and put further positive pressure on travel demand here and abroad. And boy is it ever pent up. United seems to be thinking the same thing.


While #2 may be correct, they still have the 772A’s grounded which were covering Hawaii, Cancun, and Ireland and are now flown with Polaris equipment. These will need to be re-assigned or replaced if there’s much more international growth requiring wide bodies.


With AA retiring the 757 and 767 they are entirely dependent on new 787's for International growth. Due to the production issues at Boeing I think AA has something like 13 delayed 787's sitting at the Factory that can't be delivered. So until Boeing sorts it crap out and gives AA Firm delivery dates I doubt you'll see an announcement from AA.

Good on United though and I hope some of these darts are winners for them.


AA isn't entirely dependent on the 787 for international growth at all. There are 67 777s in the fleet at their disposal as well (47 772s and 20 77Ws) many of which are used on domestic operations, some of which could be pulled off some short haul if needed, though that would also adversely impact some of the network. AA's meager TPAC network is also likely to remain skeletal well into 2022 with only SYD and perhaps HND/NRT up and running in Q1-2022. The 767s were very much planned for exit from the fleet before COVID and the pandemic accelerated it. They were the go to airplane for lower yield, seasonal experimental routes for the most part, toward the end and a stop gap for PHL TATL transitions to the 787. The 767s were old, had very poor dispatch reliability, and weren't modified nose to tail the way DL and UA undertook for their 763 fleets. The A330s on the other hand, particularly the 332s (15 in total) would have come in handy now, given that they had been refurbished to include Premium Economy long before the pandemic, and were newer. The 333s were 1999-2000 builds but could also have helped cover the 787 issue, before taking into account maintenance and staffing costs associated with a relatively small sub fleet that would not have been needed at all for the majority of the pandemic's worst phases. That's the trade off.

My view is that if the 787 issues are prolonged, preventing AA from on-boarding them into the fleet in time for Spring/Summer 2022, you'll see more cuts to routes out of PHL, a few more additions at JFK (on the 777) and a very limited CLT TATL network.
 
behramjee
Posts: 5202
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:56 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:55 am

What I would like to see are as follows which also make commercial sense:

IAH/ZRH - 3 weekly B787
IAH/LOS - 4 weekly B787
IAD/RUH - 3 weekly B787
IAD/JED - 3 weekly B787

Just fyi at its peak (which was in 2015), IAD-RUH was 89,000 pax r/t p2p @ $1570 avg one way whilst IAD-JED was 87,000 @ $990 avg one way.
 
United1
Posts: 4318
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:02 pm

22 Daily flights to LHR this summer…including BOS.

BOS
EWRx7
IADx3
ORDx3
IAHx2
DENx2
LAX
SFOx3
Last edited by United1 on Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
diamondchap
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:03 pm

It seems to be a number of additional flights to LHR, taking them to 22 daily flights there from S22.

https://www.united.com/en-us/explore-london
 
jasoncrh
Posts: 834
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:29 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:17 pm

Nothing exciting, or rather, nothing as exciting as all the speculation on this board.

they announced that they will have 22 flights a day to London as of the spring.

1 flight from Boston - they're flying it.
2 from Denver - that' sinteresting
1 from LAX
3 from SFO
2 from IAH
3 from IAD
3 from ORD
7 from EWR.

That's it.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:18 pm

How many of these frequencies aren't "new" but rather simply resuming flights post-COVID?

I seem to recall that LAX-LHR was scheduled to be 2x daily a couple some summers ago.
 
Tyroneguy
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:26 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:28 pm

USAirALB wrote:
How many of these frequencies aren't "new" but rather simply resuming flights post-COVID?

I seem to recall that LAX-LHR was scheduled to be 2x daily a couple some summers ago.



Looks like they got three NEW slots for the third SFO, second DEN and the seventh EWR. The already announced BOS made 19 daily.
 
mah584jr
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:35 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:28 pm

United1 wrote:
22 Daily flights to LHR this summer…including BOS.

BOS
EWRx7
IADx3
ORDx3
IAHx2
DENx2
LAX
SFOx3


To elaborate:

BOS-LHR: 1x 767-300
ORD-LHR 3x 767-300
DEN-LHR 2x 787-9
IAH-LHR 2x (1x 777-200ER; 1x 787-9)
LAX-LHR 1x 787-9
EWR-LHR 7x 767-300
SFO-LHR 3x (2x 777-200ER and 1x 787-9)
IAD-LHR 3x (1x 757-200, 1x 767-300ER, and 1x 777-200ER)

This is a lot of frequency at 22 flights. Does anyone remember how many flights UA had to LHR pre-COVID?

The 757-200 from IAD is a resumption of the morning IAD departure that existed pre-COVID.
Last edited by mah584jr on Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
sldispatcher
Posts: 666
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:55 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:29 pm

jasoncrh wrote:
Nothing exciting, or rather, nothing as exciting as all the speculation on this board.

they announced that they will have 22 flights a day to London as of the spring.

1 flight from Boston - they're flying it.
2 from Denver - that' sinteresting
1 from LAX
3 from SFO
2 from IAH
3 from IAD
3 from ORD
7 from EWR.

That's it.


The Denver double daily is interesting indeed.

Is the 3 from IAD same as 2019 or increase?
 
codc10
Posts: 3380
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:29 pm

USAirALB wrote:
How many of these frequencies aren't "new" but rather simply resuming flights post-COVID?

I seem to recall that LAX-LHR was scheduled to be 2x daily a couple some summers ago.


This is UA’s largest LHR schedule ever. LAX-LHR was supposed to go 2x daily in 2017 or so, but the frequency went to EWR instead for 6x.
 
mah584jr
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:35 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:31 pm

sldispatcher wrote:
jasoncrh wrote:
Nothing exciting, or rather, nothing as exciting as all the speculation on this board.

they announced that they will have 22 flights a day to London as of the spring.

1 flight from Boston - they're flying it.
2 from Denver - that' sinteresting
1 from LAX
3 from SFO
2 from IAH
3 from IAD
3 from ORD
7 from EWR.

That's it.


The Denver double daily is interesting indeed.

Is the 3 from IAD same as 2019 or increase?


It is the same as it was pre-COVID IIRC. They added back the morning departure from IAD which was previously flown on a 757 as well.
 
BB78710
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:31 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:39 pm

mah584jr wrote:
To elaborate:

BOS-LHR: 1x 767-300
ORD-LHR 3x 767-300
DEN-LHR 2x 787-9
IAH-LHR 2x (1x 777-200ER; 1x 787-9)
LAX-LHR 1x 787-9
EWR-LHR 7x 767-300
SFO-LHR 3x (2x 777-200ER and 1x 787-9)
IAD-LHR 3x (1x 757-200, 1x 767-300ER, and 1x 777-200ER)

This is a lot of frequency at 22 flights. Does anyone remember how many flights UA had to LHR pre-COVID?

The 757-200 from IAD is a resumption of the morning IAD departure that existed pre-COVID.


Pre-COVID United's LHR schedule was
EWR-LHR 6x daily
IAD-LHR 3x daily
ORD-LHR 3x daily
IAH-LHR 2x daily
SFO-LHR 2x daily
DEN-LHR 1x daily
LAX-LHR 1x daily
For a total of 18 daily nonstop flights.

However for summer 2020 if not for COVID EWR-LHR was schedule for 7x daily.
During the early days of COVID United secured another LHR slot and announced BOS-LHR.
Those additional slots would have taken United to 20 daily flights.

The question is where did United get 2 more LHR slots from for their extra SFO and DEN flights?

I'm not sure how many flights American or Delta operate on their own metal but it is impressive to see United schedule 22 flights to LHR an airport where they have no partner at all.
Last edited by BB78710 on Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
BWIAirport
Posts: 1216
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:40 pm

That LAX-LHR 789 seems like a downgrade (from a capacity standpoint) from pre-covid. Wasn't that previously a 77W?
But love this all. Flights to London are gonna be cheeeeap next summer.
 
Clipper73
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:21 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:53 pm

Great solid adds for United.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 20743
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:01 pm

jasoncrh wrote:
Nothing exciting, or rather, nothing as exciting as all the speculation on this board.


Reality rarely matches a.net hype and speculation. :lol:
 
jasoncrh
Posts: 834
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:29 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:03 pm

No, UA never used a 777-300 from LAX to LHR. I'm pretty sure it was a 789 in the time leading up to covid.

BWIAirport wrote:
That LAX-LHR 789 seems like a downgrade (from a capacity standpoint) from pre-covid. Wasn't that previously a 77W?
But love this all. Flights to London are gonna be cheeeeap next summer.
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14739
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:06 pm

This is United’s largest London Heathrow schedule since they purchased the rights from Pan Am in 1990. These flights are why they have their high J class 767-300s.

I would love to see a companion of United’s S22 LHR schedule vs. Delta and American.

Star Alliance might not have a UK partner but their service their doesn’t suffer.
 
usairways85
Posts: 4318
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:22 pm

Pre-Covid did UA ever have 4x on ORD/IAD-LHR? For some reason I feel like they did.
 
FlyThiz
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:28 pm

jasoncrh wrote:
No, UA never used a 777-300 from LAX to LHR. I'm pretty sure it was a 789 in the time leading up to covid.

BWIAirport wrote:
That LAX-LHR 789 seems like a downgrade (from a capacity standpoint) from pre-covid. Wasn't that previously a 77W?
But love this all. Flights to London are gonna be cheeeeap next summer.


Prior to the 789 service from LAX to LHR, it was a 772. The lead up to Covid was a 789, so no change there.
 
User avatar
adamblang
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:29 pm

usairways85 wrote:
Pre-Covid did UA ever have 4x on ORD/IAD-LHR? For some reason I feel like they did.

It’s been 3x since at least 2012.
 
UAL777UK
Posts: 2382
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:16 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:45 pm

2 x DEN - LHR. Wow!! They always used to struggle with a daily!
 
dfw88
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:04 pm

STT757 wrote:
This is United’s largest London Heathrow schedule since they purchased the rights from Pan Am in 1990. These flights are why they have their high J class 767-300s.

I would love to see a companion of United’s S22 LHR schedule vs. Delta and American.

Star Alliance might not have a UK partner but their service their doesn’t suffer.


Picking a random date in July I see 8 daily DL flights to LHR (seems pretty low to me):
2xATL
1xBOS
1xDTW
2xJFK
1xMSP
1xSEA

On that same date I see 23 AA flights to LHR:
1xBOS
2xCLT
4xDFW
4xJFK
2xLAX
1xMIA
4xORD
2xPHL
1xPHX
1xRDU
1xSEA

HOWEVER: It's completely unreasonable to consider AA and DL's schedules to LHR without considering what their JV partners are doing. For that same day I see 18x VS flights and 39x BA flights, meaning the totals are:
UA: 22x
DL/VS: 26x
AA/BA: 62x

Obviously schedules aren't finalized, but that's what I'm seeing for right now.
 
ahj2000
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:07 pm

It harms travel from Panama, Nicaragua, Honduras. Argentina and Brazil apparently were going to use some but have reduced orders to the point where it may hurt a few passengers but not many as a whole.
(Fun fact-Cuba’a got their own home grown ones, unable to get much from the States, and Haiti hasn’t started giving shots yet)
 
User avatar
BWIAirport
Posts: 1216
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:08 pm

FlyThiz wrote:
jasoncrh wrote:
No, UA never used a 777-300 from LAX to LHR. I'm pretty sure it was a 789 in the time leading up to covid.

BWIAirport wrote:
That LAX-LHR 789 seems like a downgrade (from a capacity standpoint) from pre-covid. Wasn't that previously a 77W?
But love this all. Flights to London are gonna be cheeeeap next summer.


Prior to the 789 service from LAX to LHR, it was a 772. The lead up to Covid was a 789, so no change there.

Gotcha. Was probably thinking of AA.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10736
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:10 pm

STT757 wrote:
This is United’s largest London Heathrow schedule since they purchased the rights from Pan Am in 1990. These flights are why they have their high J class 767-300s.

I would love to see a companion of United’s S22 LHR schedule vs. Delta and American.

Star Alliance might not have a UK partner but their service their doesn’t suffer.


There is a ton of *A feed at LHR and the fact that all airlines are under 1 roof sure doesn't hurt.
 
Pi7472000
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:25 pm

Great to see how well DEN is doing to Europe along with its partners. They will have as many DEN to LHR as they do from IAH next summer.
 
rjbesikof
Posts: 465
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:29 pm

I have a quick question,
with UA going 3x daily on SFO-LHR, when will united resume the second daily flight?
 
splitterz
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:40 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:35 pm

UAL777UK wrote:
2 x DEN - LHR. Wow!! They always used to struggle with a daily!


No, they didn't?
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 13091
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:37 pm

splitterz wrote:
UAL777UK wrote:
2 x DEN - LHR. Wow!! They always used to struggle with a daily!


No, they didn't?

I don’t know if struggle is the right word, but UA only started DEN-LHR as seasonal in Summer 2018. It became year round starting November 2019 but of course covid happened a few months later.
 
Abeam79
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:16 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:50 pm

I have some serious doubts about the Boston flight sticking around that long. That’s a high J class 767. That needs a lot of corporate demand which they have very little point of sale from Boston. And they had to start competing with new American and JetBlue launch that are both going to fly it as well Both have high corporate point of sale from Boston.. I think the Boston flight is going to bleed them lots of money to Heathrow. My bet it will stick for just the one season. I’m curious what they can do since it was a slot awarded if they decide to use it somewhere else. Lax-lhr could use an extra flight I’m sure
 
Tyroneguy
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:26 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:58 pm

Polot wrote:
splitterz wrote:
UAL777UK wrote:
2 x DEN - LHR. Wow!! They always used to struggle with a daily!


No, they didn't?

I don’t know if struggle is the right word, but UA only started DEN-LHR as seasonal in Summer 2018. It became year round starting November 2019 but of course covid happened a few months later.


They operated seasonal at first because that's the only slot they had to use at the time.
 
Tyroneguy
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:26 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:03 pm

usairways85 wrote:
Pre-Covid did UA ever have 4x on ORD/IAD-LHR? For some reason I feel like they did.


A number of years ago, UA had 4 IAD-LHR ( 1 AM flight and 3 PM flights). I don't remember the exact dates but I vaguely recall after a previous downturn, they axed no. 4 and it never returned. But that was before the EWR hub existed for UA.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6789
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:09 pm

splitterz wrote:
UAL777UK wrote:
2 x DEN - LHR. Wow!! They always used to struggle with a daily!


No, they didn't?


For years DEN was the only UA hub with no service to LHR.
 
SBAer
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Re: United International Announcement October 28

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:14 pm

SBAer wrote:
The return of LAX-LHR, hopefully?

Edit, missed the "new" part :(


I guess "old" is the new "new"
 
User avatar
airzim
Posts: 1570
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2001 7:40 am

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:20 pm

Abeam79 wrote:
I have some serious doubts about the Boston flight sticking around that long. That’s a high J class 767. That needs a lot of corporate demand which they have very little point of sale from Boston. And they had to start competing with new American and JetBlue launch that are both going to fly it as well Both have high corporate point of sale from Boston.. I think the Boston flight is going to bleed them lots of money to Heathrow. My bet it will stick for just the one season. I’m curious what they can do since it was a slot awarded if they decide to use it somewhere else. Lax-lhr could use an extra flight I’m sure


I wouldn't be surprised if the BOS flight is driven off some corporate contract with some revenue guarantees.
 
BB78710
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:31 pm

Re: United New International Routes October 28, 8:00 a.m. ET

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:25 pm

Tyroneguy wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
Pre-Covid did UA ever have 4x on ORD/IAD-LHR? For some reason I feel like they did.


A number of years ago, UA had 4 IAD-LHR ( 1 AM flight and 3 PM flights). I don't remember the exact dates but I vaguely recall after a previous downturn, they axed no. 4 and it never returned. But that was before the EWR hub existed for UA.


United more than a decade ago before there merger even before they filed bankruptcy operated 4x daily IAD-LHR. When United was operating 4x daily out of IAD they were only operating 2x daily out of ORD both ORD flights were on 77As at the time. United reduced IAD-LHR to 3X daily and moved the slot to ORD to increased ORD-LHR to 3x daily (2X 767-300s and 1X 777-200). A year or so later after they increased ORD service to 3x daily ORD-LHR would go all 763s. Their ORD service remained all 763s except for a one summer during their merger where United operated 2X 763s and 1X 744 to LHR from ORD. Except for that one lone summer their LHR service out of ORD had remained 3x 763s until the pandemic hit.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos