Antarius wrote:
Here it is

And lord, it is amateurish.

That poor mammoth looks so lost.

rbavfan

Re: Santa Lucia Airport Mexico City first phase inaugurated

Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:22 am

Vctony wrote:
Sky Harbor and Gateway (Phoenix). Although in this case the closer to downtown airport is still the main airport.

Gateway only has G4 that operate mostly 1 flight flight per day per flight. Not a comparison now, maybe in the far future.

MetalNeutral

Re: Updated: Mexico city's new airport to be improved Santa Lucía Airport

Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:55 am

CMA727 wrote:
From reliable but confidential sources I just learned that military administration of Santa Lucia Airport is getting rid of most of the civilian airport operations experts occuping management level positions to replace them with military officials, making it even more clear that the airport will be run as some sort of military unit. I don´t think that´s a wise move.

All of a sudden, the mammoth in the logo takes an entirely new meaning.

Cheers,
MN

CMA727

Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:12 pm

Chasensfo wrote:
SFOThinker wrote:
Surely Greater Mexico City, with a population over 20 million, can support 2 airports.

One would think, but I'm not so sure that the current airport will become anything beyond an LCC/regional hub a shadow of it's current size. Look at SBD, so many damn people in that part of SoCal and they can't get a single airline. The closest airport with regular airline service is ONT, and while ONT is growing, even they aren't nearly as big as you'd expect given how many millions of people live in the area closest to that airport. There are a lot of rich people in MEX, but there are also many, many, many more who will never have enough money at once for a plane ticket.

Greater Mexico City will need a 75+ million passenger a year airport capacity offering withing the next 10 years. The problem is that MEX will soon return to saturation levels. As long as MEX is an alternative very few, if any passengers will choose Santa Lucía or Toluca over it. (Montreal Dorval vs Mirabel effect). The solution WAS the Texcoco airport now cancelled and destroyed. The only reasonable solution nowadays is for MEX to close and to optimize capacity at both Santa Lucía and Toluca to take care of current demand. My question is how´s the future demand going to be taken cared for? Who´s going to be forced to use Santa Lucía or Toluca if MEX is not closed?

BIG, BIG, BIG mistake the current president made cancelling Texcoco.

CMA727

Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:21 pm

There is also the cost...make your numbers and divide the propossed number of gates and remote parking positions at Santa Lucia between the amount of money cancelling Texcoco and building Santa Lucía will mean and I am sure you are going to have what´s going to be the most expensive airport in the world in terms of total cost per gates/parking positions.

2travel2know2

Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:25 pm

CMA727 wrote:
Greater Mexico City will need a 75+ million passenger a year airport capacity offering withing the next 10 years. The problem is that MEX will soon return to saturation levels. As long as MEX is an alternative very few, if any passengers will choose Santa Lucía or Toluca over it. (Montreal Dorval vs Mirabel effect). The solution WAS the Texcoco airport now cancelled and destroyed. The only reasonable solution nowadays is for MEX to close and to optimize capacity at both Santa Lucía and Toluca to take care of current demand. My question is how´s the future demand going to be taken cared for? Who´s going to be forced to use Santa Lucía or Toluca if MEX is not closed?
More than once, MEX and TLC have been compared to MIA and FLL, as some premium passengers find the other airport more convenient than the major one (some of the times).
As areas nearer TLC become more affluent, some kind of new international service might start to operate in TLC, perhaps UA IAH/DEN/ORD, AA DFW/MIA, DL LAX/ATL, NK or B6 FLL/MCO, CM PTY, AV SAL.

usdcaguy

Re: Mexico city's new airport to be canceled

Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:38 pm

Flaps wrote:
Multiple airports in very large cities are not such a problem so long as domestic and international traffic are co-mingled. Its when you limit international operations to one airport and domestic to another that things get dicey. For example JFK and EWR both have extensive international and domestic operations. Regardless of airport chosen you have a lot of connecting options. Montreal with YUL and YMX was a good of example of the opposite extreme. In very large cities such as MEX and several places in China the markets are large enough to have two airports with co-mingled traffic. MEX may not be quite there yet but it certainly has the potential.

JFK still has a fraction of the domestic operations EWR has. A number of smaller cities only have service or decent frequency at LGA, so people will still take a bus from LGA to JFK to connect to international. That is exactly what MEX doesn't need; an airport with tons of international operations with a paltry selection of domestic flights. I would hope that if you're going to have two full-service airports in MEX that airlines choose one or the other. Otherwise, split operations are going to be bad for passengers.

chunhimlai

Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:43 pm

What do i miss and whats the news for that airport recently?

ALTF4

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:59 pm

chunhimlai wrote:

Sort of depends where you dozed off?

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:18 pm

Sounds like all projects in mexico. Corrupt and terrible management

nine4nine

Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:45 pm

A real shame. Mexico City needs a new airport badly. Both terminals are really showing their age inside and out. And don’t get me started in the Swiss cheese terminal 2 of Aeromexico. Both terminals feel like prisons with very little outside light and windows and very cramped inside. I connect thru MEX a few times a year and I wish they’d revamp at least.

CMA727

Re: Mexico city's new airport to be canceled

Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:58 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
Flaps wrote:
Multiple airports in very large cities are not such a problem so long as domestic and international traffic are co-mingled. Its when you limit international operations to one airport and domestic to another that things get dicey. For example JFK and EWR both have extensive international and domestic operations. Regardless of airport chosen you have a lot of connecting options. Montreal with YUL and YMX was a good of example of the opposite extreme. In very large cities such as MEX and several places in China the markets are large enough to have two airports with co-mingled traffic. MEX may not be quite there yet but it certainly has the potential.

JFK still has a fraction of the domestic operations EWR has. A number of smaller cities only have service or decent frequency at LGA, so people will still take a bus from LGA to JFK to connect to international. That is exactly what MEX doesn't need; an airport with tons of international operations with a paltry selection of domestic flights. I would hope that if you're going to have two full-service airports in MEX that airlines choose one or the other. Otherwise, split operations are going to be bad for passengers.

I totally agree...I even think that should MEX is to be closed, a decision I have reasons to believe it has already been made, AM /SkyTeam airlines in Mexico will exclusively use Santa Lucía.

CMA727

Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:03 pm

chunhimlai wrote:

The news is that one of the most expensive airports ever built in the world in terms of investment vs number a gates ratio will really not solve anything and its construction and/or operation is not going the way it should as it is becoming clearer and clearer that military culture of doing things is prevaling over civilian experience, expertise and culture running a civil international airport.

CMA727

Volaris to fly out of new Santa Lucia Mexico airport

Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:09 pm

https://a21.com.mx/aerolineas/2021/10/2 ... de-el-aifa

Link in spanish, but I reads thar Volaris has confirmed they will operate a dialy flight out of new Santa Lucía airport (NLU) to both Tijuana and Cancun.

This not surprising for Volaris TIJ and CUN markets cater to those 4+ million persons living the vecinity of NLU, including cities such as Pachuca and Tulancingo un the state of Hildalgo. In fact should I decide to fly with my Tulancingo resident children either to TIJ or CUN in the future I will definetly benefict from NLU location as long as airfares and schedules are convenient to us.

This in no big victory for NLU for Volaris is looking at the new airport the same way it kooks other regional airports such as Queretaro and not as the real and viable alternative to MEX as current goverment sees it.

NLU is struggling to attract airlines and will continue to be in that position as long as MEX is still an option for the great mayority of Valley of Mexico market.

I am afraid NLU will remain a very severe burden on mexican govermen finances as paying back what´s been invested not only construcing it but also canceling Texcoco airport means a lot lot lot of money even in global terms. Therefore, as much as NLU gets a few flights. its economics, just the way it happens at most of mexican airports and many medium size ones will always be a challenge.

cynlb

Re: VOLARIS TO FLY OUT OF NEW SANTA LUCÍA MEXICO AIRPORT

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:45 am

What will happen to the unfinished airport that didn't open?

piedmontf284000

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:59 am

CMA727 wrote:
https://a21.com.mx/aerolineas/2021/10/27/se-compromete-volaris-volar-desde-el-aifa

Link in spanish, but I reads thar Volaris has confirmed they will operate a dialy flight out of new Santa Lucía airport (NLU) to both Tijuana and Cancun.

This not surprising for Volaris TIJ and CUN markets cater to those 4+ million persons living the vecinity of NLU, including cities such as Pachuca and Tulancingo un the state of Hildalgo. In fact should I decide to fly with my Tulancingo resident children either to TIJ or CUN in the future I will definetly benefict from NLU location as long as airfares and schedules are convenient to us.

This in no big victory for NLU for Volaris is looking at the new airport the same way it kooks other regional airports such as Queretaro and not as the real and viable alternative to MEX as current goverment sees it.

NLU is struggling to attract airlines and will continue to be in that position as long as MEX is still an option for the great mayority of Valley of Mexico market.

I am afraid NLU will remain a very severe burden on mexican govermen finances as paying back what´s been invested not only construcing it but also canceling Texcoco airport means a lot lot lot of money even in global terms. Therefore, as much as NLU gets a few flights. its economics, just the way it happens at most of mexican airports and many medium size ones will always be a challenge.

I thought the Mexican government already confirmed that ULCC will operate all new routes from NLU and none will be given slots at MEX going forward in a bid to relieve congestion at MEX?

AeroAndy

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:52 am

NLU will become the new Toluca Int'l.
Volaris and Interjet operated at both MEX and TOL at one point but ended up with leaving TOL as it wasn't viable to operate at both airports.
The current Mexican Government does not get the hint that all major airlines that operate at MEX are simply ignoring NLU.

Texcoco could be rescued with another administration at the Presidency.

Moderators, do not ask to keep Politics away from this Thread as it is what it is.....POLITICS that are making these choices in Mexico.

CMA727

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:00 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:
CMA727 wrote:
https://a21.com.mx/aerolineas/2021/10/27/se-compromete-volaris-volar-desde-el-aifa

I thought the Mexican government already confirmed that ULCC will operate all new routes from NLU and none will be given slots at MEX going forward in a bid to relieve congestion at MEX?

That´s not the case yet. Goverment is capping MEX slots at those 61 years ago were set as a limit and will enforce that in an effort to promote NLU.
As much as goverment has said NLU is a "low cost" airport, mexican low cost operators realize that Valley of Mexico demand will allways favor MEX than NLU or TLC.

ghost77

Re: Volaris to fly out of new Santa Lucia Mexico airport

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:09 am

SLM will be a burden to Mexico...

g77

CarlosSi

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:20 am

A "passionate" (but maybe thoughtless) thing that could be done is for airlines to boycott serving Santa Lucia, making little case for the administration to keep building the airport.

Unfortunately I'm afraid AMLO and co would be quick to put pressure on them by any means necessary via heavy taxation into Benito Juarez, strict slot restrictions, etc.

Though I admit there's nothing really "evil" about reducing slots and higher landing fees. Airports/governments do it all the time, no ;) ?

MIflyer12

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:25 am

CarlosSi wrote:
Though I admit there's nothing really "evil" about reducing slots and higher landing fees. Airports/governments do it all the time, no ;) ?

It drives up fares for passengers, making air travel more of a luxury good. Is that what you want?

santi319

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:53 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:

It drives up fares for passengers, making air travel more of a luxury good. Is that what you want?

A Taxi/Uber ride to the new Santa Lucia Airport is going for a little under $1000 pesos ($50usd) and a 2 hour drive. No one is going to pay that, they will just pay the “higher price” and convienence of MEX.

nine4nine

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:51 pm

It’s a shame the new airport project stopped. MEX is a total dump. T1 is worn out narrow and cramped, T2 is like being inside a dark block of Swiss cheese (if you’ve been you know what I mean) and both feel like prisons with very little windows or outside natural light coming in.

CMA727

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:08 pm

nine4nine wrote:
It’s a shame the new airport project stopped. MEX is a total dump. T1 is worn out narrow and cramped, T2 is like being inside a dark block of Swiss cheese (if you’ve been you know what I mean) and both feel like prisons with very little windows or outside natural light coming in.

Both MEX terminals are very dangerous for those using them and I mean not only passengers and cargo expeditors but also those who work there or visit it.
The origin of this comes among other things from structural damage derived from poor design and construction, age, earthquake damages and flooding. There´s an alarming lack of attention to facilty and equipment maintenance. Fire control equipment is frequently is out of service. Safety signage has a lot of corrections that need to be appplied. On top of this MEX is plagued with corruption and crime, including pick pockets, baggage or baggage contents robberies, for example.

CMA727

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:13 pm

I just bought my NLU-CUN-on the inaugural Volaris flight march 21st, 2022 and back the next day. I am expecting it to be quite an experience! Airport Tax at NLU was almost one third of that of MEX. Airfare was almost the same I would had payed out/to MEX on the same dates and hours. Airport Tax difference will not compensante the cost of driving to NLU and back from my home compared to MEX.

CarlosSi

Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:16 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:

Of course not. That's why I wish they WOULDN'T do that. But they do anyways.

nine4nine wrote:

They are both swiss cheese :)

AM744

Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:27 am

For now, it looks more of a publicity stunt. As long as MEX is is service, NLU won't work out IMO. Also, having the new airport being built and operated by the Army just feels wrong.

CMA727

Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:49 am

AM744 wrote:
For now, it looks more of a publicity stunt. As long as MEX is is service, NLU won't work out IMO. Also, having the new airport being built and operated by the Army just feels wrong.

It is indeed a brilliant Publicity and Public Relations stunt where Volaris and now VivaAerobus (that today also confirmed it will use NLU) will be in goods regards from current goverment.

As yes you are correct, as long as MEX is an option both NLU and TLC will not be able to compete for most of the greater Valley of Mexico airtransport demand.

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:08 am

santi319 wrote:
A Taxi/Uber ride to the new Santa Lucia Airport is going for a little under $1000 pesos ($50usd) and a 2 hour drive. No one is going to pay that, they will just pay the “higher price” and convienence of MEX.

According to rome2rio.com there is a direct bus from the city to the Santa Lucia Airport for 3 USD.

Ulisesrguez

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:44 am

airlinenavigato wrote:
santi319 wrote:

According to rome2rio.com there is a direct bus from the city to the Santa Lucia Airport for 3 USD.

That must be totally wrong, as the new roadway to the airport isn't even finished yet, so there are no bus or car service that can reach this "airport" yet.

santi319

Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:20 am

airlinenavigato wrote:
santi319 wrote:

I assure you if this bus exist it takes over 3 hours to get there….

Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:41 am

Ulisesrguez wrote:
That must be totally wrong, as the new roadway to the airport isn't even finished yet, so there are no bus or car service that can reach this "airport" yet.

According to rome2rio.com it's a regional bus that stops at the access road of the airport.

When the airport is finished, why shouldn't there be a non-stop bus connection from the city??

DLvsWN

Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:55 am

airlinenavigato wrote:
Ulisesrguez wrote:

According to rome2rio.com it's a regional bus that stops at the access road of the airport.

When the airport is finished, why shouldn't there be a non-stop bus connection from the city??

Like the airport, it will be inconvenient and underused, if it ever exists. Why spend an hour in an Uber to get to a bus station where you’ll wait for a bus then drive 2 hours to the airport?

The whole saga is so depressing. The very best outcome possible is something like a BVA-type of operation. Not a solution to Mexico’s aviation woes, when the old airport was within reach.

Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:33 pm

Budget travellers care less about the travel time to the airport.

'Depressing' is an individual opinion and not a fact.

Ulisesrguez

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:00 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:
Ulisesrguez wrote:

I am not saying there wouldn't be any bus routes in the future, but I say it again, there cannot be any bus at the moment, as there is not an access road to the airport yet, so either rome2rio.com has wrong data or they're selling a scam.

Ulisesrguez

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:02 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:

I disagree with you, as even budget travelers would have to spend more on any transportation type to this new "airport" than to fly out of the more conveniently located MEX.

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:34 pm

Ulisesrguez wrote:
I am not saying there wouldn't be any bus routes in the future, but I say it again, there cannot be any bus at the moment, as there is not an access road to the airport yet, so either rome2rio.com has wrong data or they're selling a scam.

An access road leads to an airport. It does not mean, that the current bus stops at the terminal. Here is were the regional bus stops: https://www.google.de/maps/place/19.747 ... 733642,18z

But that's not important anyway, as the airport surely gonna get a non-stop bus connection to the terminal.

Paying 3 USD or let it even be 5-10 USD to the airport is nothing compared to possible big savings by not flying from MEX.

Viva Aerobus also gonna fly from Santa Lucia
https://thecanadian.news/2021/10/28/viv ... os-zuazua/

santi319

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:51 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:
Ulisesrguez wrote:

An access road leads to an airport. It does not mean, that the current bus stops at the terminal. Here is were the regional bus stops: https://www.google.de/maps/place/19.747 ... 733642,18z

But that's not important anyway, as the airport surely gonna get a non-stop bus connection to the terminal.

Paying 3 USD or let it even be 5-10 USD to the airport is nothing compared to possible big savings by not flying from MEX.

Volaris even had a FREE bus from Metro Mexico City to TLC and people still chose to fly from MEX… and TLC was actually closer than Santa Lucia..

CMA727

Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:15 pm

santi319 wrote:
airlinenavigato wrote:
Ulisesrguez wrote:

Volaris even had a FREE bus from Metro Mexico City to TLC and people still chose to fly from MEX… and TLC was actually closer than Santa Lucia..

Yes they did, same as Interjet had shuttles to/from TLC to diverse locations in the greater Mexico City area. These services helped mitigate the burden of having to travel to TLC in order to enjoy the new low cost entrants very attractive airfares. Without those incentives TLC became a dessert. The only solution wouldhad been to make sure the MEX-TLC train had a station directly at TLC airport, but that hasn´t happended.

AM744

Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:41 pm

AM is moving some operations to MEX T1. Twenty departures for now, starting December 11th. CPE, DGO, LMM, MAM, NLD, REX, TAM, ZCL, ZIH - Sorry, link in Spanish https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/cartera/ ... 1-del-aicm The new eight contact positions in T2's "L-finger" (I think that's what they called it) have certainly helped reducing the use of buses to board ERJ-operated flights, but I guess AM needs even more. NLU sounds like a no go for AM, as expected.

spinotter

Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:59 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:

Sometimes depressing is the only word that fits, not an individual opinion. As in the case of Mexico's new airport. What is in it for AMLO, is what I wonder?

Trip

Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:51 pm

In typical daytime traffic, how long is it likely to take to get to the new airport from CDMX Centro?

hloutweg

Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:56 pm

Trip wrote:
In typical daytime traffic, how long is it likely to take to get to the new airport from CDMX Centro?

About 90 mins

But they’re working on building a train to take passengers closer to the city center — however no direct link between it and MEX

starkwind

Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:35 pm

hloutweg wrote:
I’d like to share some pictures of something the military and party-in-power legislators are so proud of

Is this for real?

SRQLOT

Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:12 pm

This is more being completed then I thought was possible within the timeframe. So I guess that is a positive

The third article states that the site of the Texcoco is already sinking??? So if a terminal would have been built there how bad could it have gotten???

Also I like the bathroom in the second pic.

starkwind

Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:21 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
The third article states that the site of the Texcoco is already sinking??? So if a terminal would have been built there how bad could it have gotten???

My understanding is that there would have been measurements to prevent that from happening. But this has been one of the arguments against it, all along.

However, these bathrooms are wayyy over the top.

LAXintl

Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:50 pm

I have colleagues working down at the new airport since early December getting the IT (common use, FIDS, backend ops) all set up.
From what I see in their weekly reports things are going well. Acceptance testing is planned to start in February, and by March airlines will start moving in and commence staff training at the airport in preparation for inauguration.

AeroAndy

Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:17 pm

LAXintl wrote:
I have colleagues working down at the new airport since early December getting the IT (common use, FIDS, backend ops) all set up.
From what I see in their weekly reports things are going well. Acceptance testing is planned to start in February, and by March airlines will start moving in and commence staff training at the airport in preparation for inauguration.

Airlines moving in, as in only Volaris and Vivaaerobus with about 8 flights per day and a regional carrier called "Aeromar" with their ATRs...
This airport is going to be forgotten as Toluca and Puebla....

lightsaber

Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:37 pm

Please post a link for sources, including photos. This is under "fair use copywrite."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos