Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Australian Aviation Thread - November 2021

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:26 am

Welcome to Australian Aviation Thread - November 2021. Please continue to add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1465299

qf789
Topic Author

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2021

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:41 am

First flights expect in/out of SYD carrying passengers for 1 Nov

https://twitter.com/Exec_Traveller/stat ... 15812?s=20

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:48 am

Virgin has renewed its partnership for Tourism WA with the "Affordable Airfare" program offering over 23,000 flights at discounted flights throughout regional WA

https://newsroom.virginaustralia.com/re ... ns-explore

atal17

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:03 pm

Singapore becomes the first country to have their citizens be allowed into Australia quarantine-free for work, tourism and study purposes effective 28NOV

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ts-workers

RyanairGuru

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:10 pm

atal17 wrote:
Singapore becomes the first country to have their citizens be allowed into Australia quarantine-free for work, tourism and study purposes effective 28NOV

I’ll be pedantic and point out that New Zealand was first.

I’ll also point out that entering ‘Australia’ quarantine free only applies to NSW and VIC.

I must have woken up in a grumpy mood today haha

myki

Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:42 am

I hate to bring this back to an aviation discussion rather than Covid, submarines, and the like, apologies for that ;) just wondering if there's any news on those "smaller" carriers returning to our fair shores anytime soon on a regular (non-chartered/repatriation) basis. The likes of RB, PX, SB, etc.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:15 am

Ok this is the last time I or any other moderator will say this. Keep the discussion to aviation only, vaccination and political discussion belongs in non-aviation. I am also extremely disappointed with the disrespectful comments some have made in recent times, when I joined this site this thread was a community who could have different opinions and still be respectful to one another yet now that all seems to have gone out of the window. It’s time to get that community feel back!!!

Chipmunk1973

Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:39 am

myki wrote:
I hate to bring this back to an aviation discussion rather than Covid, submarines, and the like, apologies for that ;) just wondering if there's any news on those "smaller" carriers returning to our fair shores anytime soon on a regular (non-chartered/repatriation) basis. The likes of RB, PX, SB, etc.

The border to New Caledonia is closed until 31/12/2021 at this stage, so unfortunately nothing for SB till at least then. Not sure about the others, sorry.

I flew SB in Jan last year and was quite impressed. It was on their new A339.

Cheers.

Kent350787

Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:43 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
myki wrote:

The border to New Caledonia is closed until 31/12/2021 at this stage, so unfortunately nothing for SB till at least then. Not sure about the others, sorry.

Cheers.

I take it the daily SB A339 flight is cargo only at the moment? (or is it weekend only - I've seen it Saturday and Sunday at least for months)

Sydscott

Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:25 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
atal17 wrote:

I’ll also point out that entering ‘Australia’ quarantine free only applies to NSW and VIC.

Does NZ really count as another Country? I kinda think of them as another State with a Border up just like our Western State......hahaha

But seriously great news for the "free" peoples of the ACT, NSW and VIC and it will be great when QLD and the other States join us next year in being able to travel to Singapore and beyond. I always suspected that Singapore might be the first of the Asian Countries that we did this sort of deal with and it makes sense to given they already have the experience of how it works with Germany. I also wonder whether QF will actually bring back Singapore - London next year given the absence of a travel lane with the UK and no signs of one being agreed on with Singapore. Without the ability of UK citizens to make a local stop in Singapore without Quarantine it might be easier for QF to do a second daily DRW-LHR. Anyway we'll see next year how things are going but for now it's great seeing International planes actually flying in and networks starting to open up again!

log0008

Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:25 am

Without taking the conversation back to vaccines (apologies to QF789 for my post before), a further announcement from the TGA today adding 2 more vaccines to the accepted list.

Covaxin (manufactured by Bharat Biotech, India)
BBIBP-CorV (manufactured by Sinopharm, China)

In addition mixing of any of the approved or accepted vaccines is now accepted for the purpose of entry.

https://www.tga.gov.au/media-release/tg ... nationally

The TGA notes specifically the importance in this announcement for the pending arrival of international students. Something likely to be announced in the next 4 weeks for Vic & NSW.

Sydscott

Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:27 am

log0008 wrote:
Without taking the conversation back to vaccines (apologies to QF789 for my post before), a further announcement from the TGA today adding 2 more vaccines to the accepted list.

Covaxin (manufactured by Bharat Biotech, India)
BBIBP-CorV (manufactured by Sinopharm, China)

In addition mixing of any of the approved or accepted vaccines is now accepted for the purpose of entry.

https://www.tga.gov.au/media-release/tg ... nationally

That is actually hugely important for Air Travel given the numbers of people being jabbed with those 2 Vaccines. (Especially the first one for Air Services between Australia and India given QF's new India flights!)

Chipmunk1973

Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:52 am

Kent350787 wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:
myki wrote:

Cheers.

I take it the daily SB A339 flight is cargo only at the moment? (or is it weekend only - I've seen it Saturday and Sunday at least for months)

Sorry, I was referring to pax flights for visitors/tourists. Travel is available for critical family reasons, essential workers, and health subject to multiple conditions.
I assumed the OP was referring to unrestricted travel.

Cheers.

atal17

Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:12 am

A sweet video from Qantas today:

https://youtu.be/UdWbXwxNijM

We’re back! <3

Scanorama

Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:21 am

Kent350787 wrote:

Cargo and also medical evacuation flights - certain medical procedures cannot be done in Noumea and are airlifted to Sydney at the New Caledonian government expense , I think certain cancer procedures for example? SB has been flying 3-4 times a week over the last year, mainly with A339 but sometimes also the A320neo.

atal17

Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:34 am

Does anyone know when the last flights between Australia and French Polynesia were operated? What was the frequency and schedule like?

myki

Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:51 am

atal17 wrote:
Does anyone know when the last flights between Australia and French Polynesia were operated? What was the frequency and schedule like?

Looks like it was 2009 when SYD-PPT non-stop was dropped, but no schedule mentioned
https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pac ... ey-flights

ZK-NBT

Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:58 am

atal17 wrote:

TN flew to SYD between 2005/08 2 weekly on a 343, it connected to a JFK flight. I am a bit surprised SYD didn't work JFK i am not so surprised. Though PPT-SYD is a fairly long what 7-8hr flight when Fiji is 4hrs or DPS 5-6.

lammified

Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:03 am

Sydscott wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
atal17 wrote:

Does NZ really count as another Country? I kinda think of them as another State with a Border up just like our Western State......hahaha

But seriously great news for the "free" peoples of the ACT, NSW and VIC and it will be great when QLD and the other States join us next year in being able to travel to Singapore and beyond. I always suspected that Singapore might be the first of the Asian Countries that we did this sort of deal with and it makes sense to given they already have the experience of how it works with Germany. I also wonder whether QF will actually bring back Singapore - London next year given the absence of a travel lane with the UK and no signs of one being agreed on with Singapore. Without the ability of UK citizens to make a local stop in Singapore without Quarantine it might be easier for QF to do a second daily DRW-LHR. Anyway we'll see next year how things are going but for now it's great seeing International planes actually flying in and networks starting to open up again!

There actually is a Vaccinated Travel Lane in place that allows for quarantine free travel between the UK and Singapore, subject to the usual requirements. All QF needs to do is to get themselves on it (on the leg between LHR and SIN, as I assume they will start VTL flights between SIN and MEL/SYD/BNE soon), like BA/AF/KL/LX/LH have done on their respective VTL routes. It would probably require the approval of the Singaporean government but open transit at Changi is already the norm for travellers arriving from Category 2 countries, which include both Australia and the UK at this point.

Now of course the new quarantine free arrangement with Singapore that becomes effective 21 Nov seems to be only for Singapore Citizens, although the full details have yet to be released so when and how the Aussie govt opens up for other nationalities remains to be seen, whether it is a unilateral opening on the part of Australia or a structured bilateral agreement between individual countries.

melpax

Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:40 am

Wouldn't be suprised if RB restarts it's MEL service when students are allowed back in. They were usually the cheapest option to London, their prices were normally only bettered by some of the Chinese carriers on occasion. They were popular in Melbourne as a result.

dredgy

Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:46 am

melpax wrote:
Wouldn't be suprised if RB restarts it's MEL service when students are allowed back in. They were usually the cheapest option to London, their prices were normally only bettered by some of the Chinese carriers on occasion. They were popular in Melbourne as a result.

They were popular in Brisbane, Darwin and Perth too but they pulled those services before COVID (though BNE was reinstated) haha. Have flown them from basically every Australian airport, they’re a great airline at a great price. I’m sure they’ll be back in some capacity soon enough, but will probably have to wait until the leisure market rebuilds. Long stops in Bandar and lack of alcohol made them unpopular with business travellers.

RyanairGuru

Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:19 am

lammified wrote:
Sydscott wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

There actually is a Vaccinated Travel Lane in place that allows for quarantine free travel between the UK and Singapore, subject to the usual requirements. All QF needs to do is to get themselves on it (on the leg between LHR and SIN, as I assume they will start VTL flights between SIN and MEL/SYD/BNE soon), like BA/AF/KL/LX/LH have done on their respective VTL routes. It would probably require the approval of the Singaporean government but open transit at Changi is already the norm for travellers arriving from Category 2 countries, which include both Australia and the UK at this point.

Now of course the new quarantine free arrangement with Singapore that becomes effective 21 Nov seems to be only for Singapore Citizens, although the full details have yet to be released so when and how the Aussie govt opens up for other nationalities remains to be seen, whether it is a unilateral opening on the part of Australia or a structured bilateral agreement between individual countries.

As the DRW local market is so small I don’t think they will want to operate there longer than necessary, and will move to SIN as scheduled (17 December?).

The known-unknown is WA. If they open by March 2022 I expect that the second daily LHR will operate via PER. If they are still closed, I wouldn’t be surprised if Qantas puts another plan in place for the whole Northern Summer, be that 2x SIN or 1x SIN, 1x DRW. There might be a market for a split operation with one continuing through DRW if PER isn’t an option, as there are people who don’t want to transit through a third country in the current environment.

kriskim

Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:57 am

melpax wrote:

Royal Brunei never stopped serving MEL! They have been flying to MEL during the pandemic. The route is an important connection for Brunei.

atal17

Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:49 am

I believe RB has even used A320neos to fly between BWN and MEL, is that correct?

atal17

Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:51 am

myki wrote:
atal17 wrote:

Looks like it was 2009 when SYD-PPT non-stop was dropped, but no schedule mentioned

Pre-pandemic, I always wondered if there was still a market for Australia & French Polynesia. But I’ve come to believe that may not be the case.

Thank you for looking it up!

LTEN11

Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:09 pm

atal17 wrote:
I believe RB has even used A320neos to fly between BWN and MEL, is that correct?

The 787 has been operating the flight. There may have been a flight operated by the 320, but it is not the regular aircraft used.

tullamarine

Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:12 pm

LTEN11 wrote:
atal17 wrote:

The 787 has been operating the flight. There may have been a flight operated by the 320, but it is not the regular aircraft used.

They have operated the A320NEO when 787s were unavailable due to maintenance but it was only for a very brief period.

A350OZ

Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:22 pm

atal17 wrote:
myki wrote:
atal17 wrote:

Pre-pandemic, I always wondered if there was still a market for Australia & French Polynesia. But I’ve come to believe that may not be the case.

We went back in 2013 for two weeks (Tahiti, Huahine, Bora Bora Bora and Moorea), and I cannot recall running into any other tourists from Australia. Mainly Americans and Mainland French, plus some other Europeans and some Japanese.

It is too far and/or too expensive compared with other options we have, mainly SE Asia, Fiji, even Hawaii. A very niche product for Aussies and not enough to fill 2 or 3 flights per week (plus connecting in AKL isn’t too bad).

CostaDelSol90

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:15 am

Interesting discussion about RB - it will be interesting to see if they ever regain their pre-Covid services.

In MEL they were frequently regarded as the cheapest way to LHR, and were often heard and seen advertising. They had a relatively high profile for a tiny airline. However just prior to Covid there was immense backlash against them due to the adoption of Sharia Law. There were calls in Victorian parliament to ban them and at one stage I heard APAM had sought legal advice to do so.

VA, STA and other airlines cancelled all staff travel agreements with them and urged staff to not travel with them or via BSB. They also lost quite a few foreign crew for the same reason.

Covid masked their fall in loads but will be interesting to see if they continue to push on in the Australian market once normal passenger traffic resumes.

atal17

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:19 am

A350OZ wrote:
atal17 wrote:
myki wrote:

It is too far and/or too expensive compared with other options we have, mainly SE Asia, Fiji, even Hawaii. A very niche product for Aussies and not enough to fill 2 or 3 flights per week (plus connecting in AKL isn’t too bad).

That’s what I thought as well - Fiji, New Caledonia, Cook Islands are more established destinations compared to Tahiti.

Even if someone was interested in launching SYD-PPT, there’s probably only enough traffic to fill a A320 once per week - which might not be possible given the distance.

RoyalBrunei757

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:54 am

tullamarine wrote:
LTEN11 wrote:
atal17 wrote:

They have operated the A320NEO when 787s were unavailable due to maintenance but it was only for a very brief period.

Yes indeed, tullamarine and LTEN11 got it right. A32N did BWN-MEL few times when their 787 went to Dubai Air Show, down for RR engine related issue, went to Beijing to get crew rest installed or regular scheduled maintenance. My uncle did it a few times, it was a loooooong way to Down Under. 0.o

RoyalBrunei757

Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:01 am

kriskim wrote:
melpax wrote:

Royal Brunei never stopped serving MEL! They have been flying to MEL during the pandemic. The route is an important connection for Brunei.

Yes, both to feed their regional routes as well as for Australian and NZ produces. After BI suspended SYD, DRW, PER, and BNE (came back for a shortwhile before the pandemic hits), MEL and LHR are the only two routes that Brunei rely on to get AU/NZ/UK greens, other farm produces and foodstuffs into Brunei. BI is also doing KUL/SIN/HK now with 787 once or twice a week to get the food supply in.

ZK-NBT

Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:33 am

atal17 wrote:
A350OZ wrote:
atal17 wrote:

That’s what I thought as well - Fiji, New Caledonia, Cook Islands are more established destinations compared to Tahiti.

Even if someone was interested in launching SYD-PPT, there’s probably only enough traffic to fill a A320 once per week - which might not be possible given the distance.

NZ can’t run an A320 from AKL due to a lack of diversion points let alone Someone doing SYD-PPT on an A320.

Interesting market, QF used PPT as a stopover enroute to LAX on 742s back in the day, then they flew it via AKL and terminated in PPT on a 763 for several years perhaps 1994/2001 or so? PH did run a 738 interestingly 2 weekly AKL-PPT and TN a weekly A342 before PH pulled out and TN went 2 then 3 weekly around 2003 or so.

DavidByrne

Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:55 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
atal17 wrote:
NZ can’t run an A320 from AKL due to a lack of diversion points let alone Someone doing SYD-PPT on an A320.

Interesting market, QF used PPT as a stopover enroute to LAX on 742s back in the day, then they flew it via AKL and terminated in PPT on a 763 for several years perhaps 1994/2001 or so? PH did run a 738 interestingly 2 weekly AKL-PPT and TN a weekly A342 before PH pulled out and TN went 2 then 3 weekly around 2003 or so.

Yes I remember the PH service. How did they deal with the lack of a diversion field? Was BOB (4,900 ft strip) considered acceptable? Noted also Huahine (closer to PPT) also is 4,900 ft long. Anyone know?

A350OZ

Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:09 am

I don’t think BOB or HUH can take 737s or 320s - the runway length might sound okay-ish but I don’t think they can deal with the weight or width.

There is another long runway in FP, on Hao atoll (HOI, more then 10000 ft length and a former (?) French military base). But it’s another 570 miles further east and the island certainly doesn’t have the facilities to house 150+ pax. But better than ditching a plane in a lagoon I guess…

RyanairGuru

Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:29 pm

It was an ignominious anniversary, and no doubt one people were happy to forget, but last week marked 10 years since the Qantas grounding. It was 29 October 2011.

I don’t want to start a debate about the pros and cons of Joyce’s or the union’s actions, but I think it’s worth acknowledging the most disruptive moment in Australian aviation since the collapse of Ansett.

I had to look up the date, but I realised today that it was around now as the Chasers referred to Alan Joyce as “the face that stopped the nation” on their show, The Hamster Wheel.

eta unknown

Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:01 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
atal17 wrote:
A350OZ wrote:

I thought NZ did run an A320 nonstop AKL-PPT?

eta unknown

Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:10 pm

CostaDelSol90 wrote:
Interesting discussion about RB - it will be interesting to see if they ever regain their pre-Covid services.

In MEL they were frequently regarded as the cheapest way to LHR, and were often heard and seen advertising. They had a relatively high profile for a tiny airline. However just prior to Covid there was immense backlash against them due to the adoption of Sharia Law. There were calls in Victorian parliament to ban them and at one stage I heard APAM had sought legal advice to do so.

VA, STA and other airlines cancelled all staff travel agreements with them and urged staff to not travel with them or via BSB. They also lost quite a few foreign crew for the same reason.

Covid masked their fall in loads but will be interesting to see if they continue to push on in the Australian market once normal passenger traffic resumes.

Storm in a tea cup. The APAM case had no legal merit and never went passed sound bite stage.
STA is gone now, but they were already in steady decline with minimal productivity and RB wasn't part of their "blue tickets" scheme due to a dispute over funds related to a previous marketing scheme.
Virgin: the interline may have had an impact, the staff travel withdrawal didn't- so few people used it. However, in this age of outrage over everything it appeased those who needed to be appeased...

NZ516

Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:32 pm

eta unknown wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
atal17 wrote:

I thought NZ did run an A320 nonstop AKL-PPT?

The AKL to PPT route was flown pre covid with 787s and before that with 767s. No date yet if this route will come back unfortunately.

Obzerva

Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:51 pm

Something I wasn’t expecting, MEL’s first A380 since the resumption to be CZ, B-6140 inbound atm

kriskim

Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:02 pm

Obzerva wrote:
Something I wasn’t expecting, MEL’s first A380 since the resumption to be CZ, B-6140 inbound atm

They have been a regular occurrence at MEL during the pandemic, so not really a rare sight for the time being! Hoping to see a few test flights with QF’s own A380’s, really miss seeing them at MEL!

Kent350787

Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:17 pm

kriskim wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

They have been a regular occurrence at MEL during the pandemic, so not really a rare sight for the time being! Hoping to see a few test flights with QF’s own A380’s, really miss seeing them at MEL!

Sydney has seen a weekly CZ A380 for much of the pandemic, I assume to keep crew hours up as much as anything.

A350OZ

Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:32 pm

kriskim wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

Yes the CZ A380 has been to MEL every Wednesday on a weekly rotation, at least for the last few weeks/months. Quite interesting because I don’t think MEL ever saw it before the pandemic, at least not regularly? Used to be 777s or A330s as far as I can recall (happy to be corrected).

Chipmunk1973

Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:59 pm

Just wondering where you can find out the status of the QF 744s parked at VCV? Such as wether they’ve been sold, stripped for parts, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers.

smi0006

Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:01 am

Kent350787 wrote:
kriskim wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

Sydney has seen a weekly CZ A380 for much of the pandemic, I assume to keep crew hours up as much as anything.

Was also impossible to get seats back into China - up until a few months ago CZ would go out full!

Kent350787

Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:11 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Just wondering where you can find out the status of the QF 744s parked at VCV? Such as wether they’ve been sold, stripped for parts, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers.

Mostly stored before scrapping https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Qan ... d-b747.htm

kriskim

Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:01 am

A350OZ wrote:
kriskim wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

Yes the CZ A380 has been to MEL every Wednesday on a weekly rotation, at least for the last few weeks/months. Quite interesting because I don’t think MEL ever saw it before the pandemic, at least not regularly? Used to be 777s or A330s as far as I can recall (happy to be corrected).

CZ flew them in daily during the summer 2019-2020 peak seasonally.

Chipmunk1973

Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:49 am

While looking for updates on construction of SWZ, I was wondering what impacts surrounding developments may have for the airport.

The proposed metro alone would deliver, in some respects, linkages to high level educational facilities. But I think the bigger draw card is meant to be the Aerotropolis, subsequently named Bradfield. Designed from the outset as being a high technology “city” with a focus on aerospace and engineering and a lot of things in the STEM category.

How much of this is likely to draw more business and/or premium related passengers, domestic and international, over just leisure and tourist passengers?

If the airport is scheduled to open on time by about 2025/2026 and no development starting in Bradfield prior to this, I would imagine it to be along way off.

Thanks and cheers.

EK413

Australian Aviation Thread - November 2021

Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:28 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
While looking for updates on construction of SWZ, I was wondering what impacts surrounding developments may have for the airport.

The proposed metro alone would deliver, in some respects, linkages to high level educational facilities. But I think the bigger draw card is meant to be the Aerotropolis, subsequently named Bradfield. Designed from the outset as being a high technology “city” with a focus on aerospace and engineering and a lot of things in the STEM category.

How much of this is likely to draw more business and/or premium related passengers, domestic and international, over just leisure and tourist passengers?

If the airport is scheduled to open on time by about 2025/2026 and no development starting in Bradfield prior to this, I would imagine it to be along way off.

Thanks and cheers.

Western Sydney Airport starts to take shape

Construction is well underway at Western Sydney’s Nancy Bird Walton International Airport, with over 20 million cubic metres of earth moved so far to make way for the beginnings of the airport’s soon-to-be runways.

New images released by the airport show how much earth has been cleared in preparation for the construction of the airport’s runways, taxiways and terminal, all due to begin construction in the coming months.

The airport has said it will use recycled materials, such as crushed sandstone, from other Sydney projects to reduce its environmental impact.

Initial earthworks on the 1,780-hectare site began in 2018, while major earthworks began in 2020. The airport is slated to open for business in 2026.

https://australianaviation-com-au.cdn.a ... shape/amp/

Our major earthworks team recently hit the incredible milestone of 20 million cubic metres moved on the Western Sydney International Airport site!
Check out the incredible transformation of the site since earthworks began in 2018!

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/westerns ... 52320-sq-B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LTEN11

Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:21 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:

Thanks and cheers.

I think the first thing that needs to be completed are the new roads to the airport site. The Northern Road upgrades are well underway and i believe the new link between the M7 and The Northern Road, which will pass the main entrance to the airport has started site works. The last time I drove around the site nothing had started for the business parks side of things, but that was several months ago now. Also that would've been affected by the lock downs.

Your best bet for checking out what will be there is probably the local government websites and looking at the the new building proposals. That should be able to give you an idea of what is to come and what time frame they're looking at.

There is a lot of businesses based in Western Sydney who will provide plenty of business trips from the new airport once it starts up, the market will not be purely leisure by a long shot, at least domestically.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos