Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kriskim

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2021

Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:00 am

vhebb wrote:
Anyone know where the freed up 789s will be used once the A380s take over QF1/QF2 in Oct 2022?

One would assume they takeover the BNE-Nth America flying and the A332’s assigned to increase India flying? Hopefully we can see MEL-SFO back.

Obzerva

Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:04 am

vhebb wrote:
Anyone know where the freed up 789s will be used once the A380s take over QF1/QF2 in Oct 2022?

If JNB is suspended / not resumed for a while, it could be for the resumption.

vhebb

Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:16 am

Daily JNB is/was already in the schedules

EK413

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:47 am

smi0006 wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
Perhaps Qantas will postpone reopening their SYD - JNB route due to the new variant from South Africa.

I’d say so - health authorities are concerned and are trying to look at better way to manage tracking inbound passengers for testing, and righting controls on pax from Africa - near impossible with so little capacity and people booking tickets all over the planet to get home.

I guess the health authorities are also concerned about Zeta strain… The world needs to crack on with life…

Patiently waiting for QR code’s at public toilets and cubicles…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZK-NBT

Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:48 am

kriskim wrote:
vhebb wrote:

One would assume they takeover the BNE-Nth America flying and the A332’s assigned to increase India flying? Hopefully we can see MEL-SFO back.

I wouldn’t think it will be BNE-US, they should have 14 789s by October 2022. You would have something like if things go to the current plan.

MEL-LAX daily 2 aircraft
MEL-PER-LHR daily 3
SYD-SFO daily 2
SYD-DFW daily 2
SYD-JNB daily 1.5
SYD-SCL daily 1.5
SYD-YVR 3 weekly 1

That is 13, then will they need more capacity MEL-LAX plus MEL-SFO?

I tend to think going to the trouble to increase MTOW on some A332s that they will be on the BNE-US routes for some time, hopefully later in 2023 the A380s will be back on MEL-LAX and SYD-DFW daily freeing up a further 4 789s for further expansion into new markets and the return of MEL-SFO.

log0008

Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:11 am

Air India back in Melbourne from 19/12 3 weekly.

AI 308 1900 AI309 2130 146

log0008

Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:53 am

AND Borders are about to close again - to everywhere

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 59cq0.html

log0008

Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:44 am

14 days home quarantine is back for Victoria for all arrivals

https://twitter.com/Raf_Epstein/status/ ... 3335990275

melpax

Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:14 am

log0008 wrote:

Thankfully no 14 day quarantine for all (yet....)

All overseas arrivals into VIC & NSW must get tested on arrival & home quarantine for 72 hours.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/fede ... 59cq0.html

EK413

Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:18 am

melpax wrote:
log0008 wrote:

Thankfully no 14 day quarantine for all (yet....)

All overseas arrivals into VIC & NSW must get tested on arrival & home quarantine for 72 hours.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/fede ... 59cq0.html

So over this crap…

They give with one hand and take with the other…

I love the aviation industry but its seriously time to consider another industry…

melpax

Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:22 am

EK413 wrote:
So over this crap…

I love the aviation industry but its seriously time to consider another industry…

Don't blame you. I think the caravan industry will still be where it's at for a little while yet......

log0008

Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:24 am

melpax wrote:
EK413 wrote:
So over this crap…

Don't blame you. I think the caravan industry will still be where it's at for a little while yet......

Wait till the state borders start closing again and it'll be gone to.

IndianicWorld

Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:02 pm

Unfortunately, these variants are only going to continue to occur, with all the complications it brings, so unfortunately all the lobbying and push to get things back to normal quickly brings with it significant risk.

The uncertainly for the a aviation, tourism and broader business environment is as hard to read as ever. I have liked seeing new announcements of services and restrictions lifting, but it appears we will all need to be ready for these kinds of responses to occur.

Looking at the AI announcement that they were to restart MEL-DEL in December was interesting though. With QF also starting the MEL-DEL route, there would be a combined 7 x weekly flights, but I do find it interesting that QF didn’t go into Mumbai with its SYD/MEL services .

I hope one day to see a flight from Mumbai or southern India also, as I do feel that it will broaden the coverage and opportunities, but time will tell.

log0008

Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:39 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
Unfortunately, these variants are only going to continue to occur, with all the complications it brings, so unfortunately all the lobbying and push to get things back to normal quickly brings with it significant risk.

The uncertainly for the a aviation, tourism and broader business environment is as hard to read as ever. I have liked seeing new announcements of services and restrictions lifting, but it appears we will all need to be ready for these kinds of responses to occur.

Looking at the AI announcement that they were to restart MEL-DEL in December was interesting though. With QF also starting the MEL-DEL route, there would be a combined 7 x weekly flights, but I do find it interesting that QF didn’t go into Mumbai with its SYD/MEL services .

I hope one day to see a flight from Mumbai or southern India also, as I do feel that it will broaden the coverage and opportunities, but time will tell.

India has a big thing going for it (especially in Melbourne) right now. The vast majority of travel right now is people returning to their home country to visit family. When you take China out (their borders) almost half of Melbournes internationally born population was born in India.

EK413

Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:42 pm

log0008 wrote:
melpax wrote:
EK413 wrote:
So over this crap…

Wait till the state borders start closing again and it'll be gone to.

Yeah can’t wait til that happens. The premiers are on power trips every fly crossing the border gets stopped and turned around.

New variant or no new variant life goes on and we need to live with this flu / cold / headache / sore throat “virus”. Are we going to live in bubbles for the next century because it feels that way.

Like everyone we all want to get on with life.

NZ516

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:23 pm

vhebb wrote:
Daily JNB is/was already in the schedules

They will most likely postpone flights for a while and hold bookings in credit.

Sydscott

Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:35 pm

redroo wrote:
I know this isn’t an aviation comment...

People’s patience for restrictions is starting to wear thin. The protests are only going to get bigger and more frequent. Unfortunately, the situation will continue until the polls tell pollies that they will lose their jobs if they lockdown/close a border/etc again.

I have 5 trips planned to see friends/family and pump some hard earned cash into my beloved Aussie aviation sector... but I wont buy if there is risk of lockdown/quarantine/etc.

QF have also burned themselves here. I could buy my trips now and lock in good prices. But with the risk of restrictions, there is a risk that my trip changes and then I am on the phone to Qantas or waiting months for a refund. Once burned, twice shy.

Having to watch the news every day just in case Premier X shuts down the border is not a vacation.

Sorry... bit of a rant, but I can see the trips i was dreaming of taking rapidly fading.

I can understand that. I, and all my friends in Sydney, refuse to go to QLD to holiday now with alot of hotels being non-refundable and Border rules that seem to be based on fear rather than science. Now that everyone has figured out how the Byron area is we don't need the Goldie any more. And I'd rather spend my money on international trips next year anyway if the Border is open.

On a side note, the Health NSW system doesn't appear to be connected in terms of telling them who is an International arrival and when they've been tested. I've had my day after and 7 day test in accordance with NSW Health guidelines but keep on getting text messages from them telling me I haven't. LOL

lightsaber

Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:58 pm

Please post on topic.

redroo

Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:41 am

The question is... are we going to see a reduction in flights again?

melpax

Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:57 am

redroo wrote:

Probably not at the moment, if things stay as they are.

zkncj

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:55 am

redroo wrote:

Hopefully these new variant is treated with common sense, and life goes on and flights go on.

log0008

Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:52 am

Serious talks government talks going on tonight about Vic, NSW, and ACT bringing back 14 days home quarantine for all arrivals.

atal17

Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:06 am

At this point, I’m just flabbergasted. Its hard to see the Aviation or Tourism Industry come out of 2021 in one piece.

DavidByrne

Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:55 am

zkncj wrote:
redroo wrote:

Hopefully these new variant is treated with common sense, and life goes on and flights go on.

“Common sense” in the middle of an unpredictable and dangerous pandemic is not necessarily going to be a return to “normality” for the travel and tourism industries. Just sayin’ . . .

Sydscott

Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:45 am

DavidByrne wrote:
zkncj wrote:
redroo wrote:

“Common sense” in the middle of an unpredictable and dangerous pandemic is not necessarily going to be a return to “normality” for the travel and tourism industries. Just sayin’ . . .

Considering the ban now in place against the particular countries and that people who have arrived from there are now all either in hotel quarantine or being rounded up for it I think that's about as far as NSW will go.

It does beg the question of testing and whether or not you'll see increased testing requirements for people crossing the Border. It could be that they revert back to a 72 hour home quarantine system where everyone gets a test on arrival and a day 3 test. That's probably all that is required at this stage. Also a question on whether or not EK and QR are checking documents because the news was saying there were unvaccinated travellers on the QR flight and I didn't think that an unvaccinated traveller would be allowed on any aircraft bound for Australia. So it'll be interesting to see if they need to back off their schedule, or if the Govt asks them to use smaller aircraft, so literally everyone on the incoming aircraft can be screened.

zkncj

Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:55 pm

Sydscott wrote:
It does beg the question of testing and whether or not you'll see increased testing requirements for people crossing the Border. It could be that they revert back to a 72 hour home quarantine system where everyone gets a test on arrival and a day 3 test. That's probably all that is required at this stage. Also a question on whether or not EK and QR are checking documents because the news was saying there were unvaccinated travellers on the QR flight and I didn't think that an unvaccinated traveller would be allowed on any aircraft bound for Australia. So it'll be interesting to see if they need to back off their schedule, or if the Govt asks them to use smaller aircraft, so literally everyone on the incoming aircraft can be screened.

From what I understand is non vaccinated travellers, are to go straight into hotel quarantine upon arrival in SYD or MEL for 14 days.

Although does beg the question, that they are allowed in the same flight as vaccinated traveler’s. While the risk of an vaccinated person catching covid is lower, it doesn’t mean it’s zero.

Are airlines flying into Australia required to seperate the cabin that un vaxed / vaxed are in?

smi0006

Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:05 pm

zkncj wrote:
Sydscott wrote:

From what I understand is non vaccinated travellers, are to go straight into hotel quarantine upon arrival in SYD or MEL for 14 days.

Although does beg the question, that they are allowed in the same flight as vaccinated traveler’s. While the risk of an vaccinated person catching covid is lower, it doesn’t mean it’s zero.

Are airlines flying into Australia required to seperate the cabin that un vaxed / vaxed are in?

There is no requirement to separate customer or crew who are unvaccinated onboard - they are separated on arrival and as you mentioned dispatched to hotel quarantine for pax, crew must isolate in their rooms. Wonder how many crew at this point are unvaccinated though?

tullamarine

Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:19 pm

smi0006 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Sydscott wrote:

There is no requirement to separate customer or crew who are unvaccinated onboard - they are separated on arrival and as you mentioned dispatched to hotel quarantine for pax, crew must isolate in their rooms. Wonder how many crew at this point are unvaccinated though?

The only flights where there are only vaccinated travellers allowed by government regulation are VTL flights through SIN. Having said that, some airlines have chosen to operate their international flights on a vaccinated only basis.

CraigAnderson

Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:40 pm

More coverage on Bonza, no 'news' in there but some good background on the local market scene and why Bonza thinks it can succeed.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 59c93.html

smi0006

Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:00 am

tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

The only flights where there are only vaccinated travellers allowed by government regulation are VTL flights through SIN. Having said that, some airlines have chosen to operate their international flights on a vaccinated only basis.

And flights from New Zealand under the quarantine free travel arrangement.

grh

Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:55 pm

Back to the old days of smoking & non-smoking.

Vaccinated on the side of the cabin & non-vacced on the other breathing the same air

log0008

Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:40 am

Good to see Vic and NSW holding at 72 hours home quaratine. Lot of people flocking home at the moment, most inbound flights are booked out.

Meanwhile NSW is making all pilots isolate for 14 days, Vic only 72 hours like everyone else.

zkncj

Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:52 am

grh wrote:
Back to the old days of smoking & non-smoking.

Vaccinated on the side of the cabin & non-vacced on the other breathing the same air

Ahh the good old days of the surely the smoke won’t cross the invisible line.

Anyway maybe the Vaxed vs Non Vaxed, split might be the a380s only selling point in 2022.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:03 pm

Please continue discussion in Australian Aviation Thread - December 2021

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1467401

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos