Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zkncj

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - November 2021

Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:37 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
With no plans to open up NZ to the outside world and no plan to end MIQ. The international connections are at risk. International Airlines will not return to New Zealand as they have already committed using their aircraft now. This is from the current boss of Auckland Airport. Which paints a bleak picture for the future for international air travel to NZ.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/30045150 ... ld-at-risk

The biggest problem is really the lack of clarity, who knows what the government are thinking. Personally there are plans to end MIQ, it seems an absolute shambles now and this is the biggest problem, again a complete lack of clarity, there must be some plan but I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t.

Yeah I'm half expecting an "bringing kiwis home for Christmas" approach, if the traffic Light System gets the go ahead on the 29th November. The media is no longer being kind around the issues with MIQ, I can see the Government changing very quickly as the media coverage increases.

The biggest question is how quickly could NZ scale International flights backup, to get people home for Christmas? I'm thinking they would be need close to months notice to be ready for the demand of passengers.

ZK-NBT

Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:10 am

zkncj wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
With no plans to open up NZ to the outside world and no plan to end MIQ. The international connections are at risk. International Airlines will not return to New Zealand as they have already committed using their aircraft now. This is from the current boss of Auckland Airport. Which paints a bleak picture for the future for international air travel to NZ.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/30045150 ... ld-at-risk

The biggest problem is really the lack of clarity, who knows what the government are thinking. Personally there are plans to end MIQ, it seems an absolute shambles now and this is the biggest problem, again a complete lack of clarity, there must be some plan but I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t.

Yeah I'm half expecting an "bringing kiwis home for Christmas" approach, if the traffic Light System gets the go ahead on the 29th November. The media is no longer being kind around the issues with MIQ, I can see the Government changing very quickly as the media coverage increases.

The biggest question is how quickly could NZ scale International flights backup, to get people home for Christmas? I'm thinking they would be need close to months notice to be ready for the demand of passengers.

Agree how many long haul crew do NZ have they can call back at short notice? Realistically it’s getting to late to get people home for Christmas. Which is really sad and for those stuck for months and months or waiting for MIQ spots.

zkncj

Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:30 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
zkncj wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Agree how many long haul crew do NZ have they can call back at short notice? Realistically it’s getting to late to get people home for Christmas. Which is really sad and for those stuck for months and months or waiting for MIQ spots.

Say in theory 60,000 people wait to come home in time for Christmas, going by the amount of people in the MIQ waiting room every-time it opens. They say about 1million New Zealanders live overseas, with it being close to 24months since they could do an trip home there is going to be an decent backlog.
using the 275 code 2 787 configuration that is approximate 218 flights (54 flights an week, over an month) to get everyone home.
Yes there is other airlines like SQ, who could probably bring back 500 people a day currently if they have enough active cabin to fully crew all there current New Zealand flights.

NZ1Super

Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:09 am

[/quote]

The biggest question is how quickly could NZ scale International flights backup, to get people home for Christmas? I'm thinking they would be need close to months notice to be ready for the demand of passengers.[/quote]

The government isn't going go ahead with the traffic light system on the 29th November, Andrew Little confirmed this morning to Newshub Nation. The government will announce the date of reopening up Auckland along with the traffic light system but he imagines it will take few days or weeks for preparations for business and etc to be ready. They're also looking into reopening with countries on top of that which is some good news!

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... m-day.html

zkncj

Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:24 am

NZ1Super wrote:
The government isn't going go ahead with the traffic light system on the 29th November, Andrew Little confirmed this morning to Newshub Nation. The government will announce the date of reopening up Auckland along with the traffic light system but he imagines it will take few days or weeks for preparations for business and etc to be ready. They're also looking into reopening with countries on top of that which is some good news!

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... m-day.html

That is half of the problems that airlines are currently having with New Zealand. There is no firm consistency to answers being given by the Government, that allows for airlines to plan stable capacity into New Zealand.

The answer changes day to day and from MP to MP, hardly anything firm an airline to know if to allocate millions of dollars worth of fleet time to New Zealand in 2022.

I could see allot of airlines now getting to the point, having to pull New Zealand in 2022.

Zkpilot

Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:06 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
zkncj wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

At short notice? Basically none. They let everyone go and canceled furlough. There are probably a few hundred they could get back with 3 weeks notice and then a weeks worth of refresher training and then sign off flights. So it’s possible by mid December they could have enough for say 4x daily return flights on top of existing flights. That’s roughly 1000 people per day per direction (although most will be one way to start with).

ZaphodHarkonnen

Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:16 am

While extremely disruptive to the aviation sector the playing it by ear is still largely the best option. Yes the government have flubbed much of the Delta response but that doesn't mean we throw the doors open and give up. The tourism industry and airports did not collapse overnight as was screamed about.

In my mind we shouldn't be considering opening to general travel until the vaccination rollout for ages 5-12 is well underway. It is bad enough with the current Delta situation.

Should we be considering tweaks for citizens and residents returning where they can isolate at home? Yeah, I think it's worth considering and should have been at least investigated months ago. But general restrictions are still prudent. Especially for those unwilling to be vaxxed or tested.

The airports and airlines will survive and return to full operations in time. It'll hurt but we should not drop everything to benefit one area of industry. People are most important.

Polo5959

Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:41 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
Thinking about the tremendous capacity growth on TRG-CHC: any further growth could conceivably make it a possible A320 route, and if the infrastructure was in place, then TRG-ZQN could well be on NZ's radar, given there's an unidentified new destination from TRG under study.

Regional screening (something which for some time has seemed to be on the cards at some point in the indeterminate future) would have an interesting impact here. While the expense would imperil some more marginal routes, for routes where the lack of security is a barrier to shifting from turboprop under 90 seats to jet, the requirement to have security in place could then make it easier to justify deploying a jet on those routes.

V/F

I recall a decade or so ago it must be that NZ looked at bringing the then 733s back into some regions. This didn’t happen, was it to do with the ATR 72-600 proving so efficient? And I would also guess the ATR has allowed significant frequency increase.

I’m not really sure where domestic A320s would go, AKL-NSN is obvious IMO except NSN can’t handle a jet due to the runway being to short.

TGA-ZQN maybe one of the more sensible new regional routes I have heard. A daily ATR I would guess. Even then it’s still easy enough to connect through CHC but TGA is growing quickly.

A daily late afternoon 320 CHC-TRG-CHC could possibly work. A fair amount of TRG-CHC traffic is routed via AKL, WLG and a lot of people drive to AKL to take advantage of the cheaper fares from both JQ and NZ. This is the same for HLZ passengers. It comes down to what value does a a320 provide NZ when they can fly the route with ATRs at increased frequency.

If TRG was to upgraded to allow jets it would be interesting to see JQs position. If NZ were to fly jets to CHC it does open the opportunity for JQ to give the TRG-WLG route a go.

NZ1Super

Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:33 pm

zkncj wrote:
NZ1Super wrote:
That is half of the problems that airlines are currently having with New Zealand. There is no firm consistency to answers being given by the Government, that allows for airlines to plan stable capacity into New Zealand.

The answer changes day to day and from MP to MP, hardly anything firm an airline to know if to allocate millions of dollars worth of fleet time to New Zealand in 2022.

I could see allot of airlines now getting to the point, having to pull New Zealand in 2022.

Tbh the government is going to open up at some point but likely going to be a forced one, but what the government is doing is opening up the border by opening up to smaller Pacific countries then to other bigger countries due to small cases which I'll agree with you is too slow, but I still have faith they'll be able to make a decision within this year on other countries outside the Pacific.

ZK-NBT

Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:40 pm

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
While extremely disruptive to the aviation sector the playing it by ear is still largely the best option. Yes the government have flubbed much of the Delta response but that doesn't mean we throw the doors open and give up. The tourism industry and airports did not collapse overnight as was screamed about.

In my mind we shouldn't be considering opening to general travel until the vaccination rollout for ages 5-12 is well underway. It is bad enough with the current Delta situation.

Should we be considering tweaks for citizens and residents returning where they can isolate at home? Yeah, I think it's worth considering and should have been at least investigated months ago. But general restrictions are still prudent. Especially for those unwilling to be vaxxed or tested.

The airports and airlines will survive and return to full operations in time. It'll hurt but we should not drop everything to benefit one area of industry. People are most important.

It is still a very fluid situation for sure. I wouldn't be saying we just open up but the reality is people have a right to come home and to be put in this MIQ shambles isn't right given the way it is run and what it has now become. I think you should ask small businesses weather they have or are collapsing, it is about people you are right but that is where the problem lies, we can't live off the government for ever when they haven't put the funding into the health system but rather lockdowns.

The airports will still be there and in NZ we are pretty fortunate to generally be overserved in the regions, airlines are struggling and I agree again it is about the people, your health is a lot more important than anything else, it is the mental toll though on so many people that is the biggest issue now which is in the areas of business, health, education, job security which is where there is so much anxiety. The thing is there is probably no easy answer. Let people come home, open up gradually where safe, so its tough for now but for some they won't recover, where to for them?

ZK-NBT

Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:21 pm

Polo5959 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
Regional screening (something which for some time has seemed to be on the cards at some point in the indeterminate future) would have an interesting impact here. While the expense would imperil some more marginal routes, for routes where the lack of security is a barrier to shifting from turboprop under 90 seats to jet, the requirement to have security in place could then make it easier to justify deploying a jet on those routes.

V/F

I recall a decade or so ago it must be that NZ looked at bringing the then 733s back into some regions. This didn’t happen, was it to do with the ATR 72-600 proving so efficient? And I would also guess the ATR has allowed significant frequency increase.

I’m not really sure where domestic A320s would go, AKL-NSN is obvious IMO except NSN can’t handle a jet due to the runway being to short.

TGA-ZQN maybe one of the more sensible new regional routes I have heard. A daily ATR I would guess. Even then it’s still easy enough to connect through CHC but TGA is growing quickly.

A daily late afternoon 320 CHC-TRG-CHC could possibly work. A fair amount of TRG-CHC traffic is routed via AKL, WLG and a lot of people drive to AKL to take advantage of the cheaper fares from both JQ and NZ. This is the same for HLZ passengers. It comes down to what value does a a320 provide NZ when they can fly the route with ATRs at increased frequency.

If TRG was to upgraded to allow jets it would be interesting to see JQs position. If NZ were to fly jets to CHC it does open the opportunity for JQ to give the TRG-WLG route a go.

What is CHC-TGA normally? 5 daily ATRs? Does adding a single daily A320 achieve much, is that combining 2 flights into 1 ? Which is a small increase of 35 seats. TGA looks to be getting busy. It hardly seems worth driving 2.5hrs to AKL to fly to CHC. CHC-TGA or WLG-TGA on JQ? I don't think NZ will like that so will grow frequency

zkncj

Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:45 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
What is CHC-TGA normally? 5 daily ATRs? Does adding a single daily A320 achieve much, is that combining 2 flights into 1 ? Which is a small increase of 35 seats. TGA looks to be getting busy. It hardly seems worth driving 2.5hrs to AKL to fly to CHC. CHC-TGA or WLG-TGA on JQ? I don't think NZ will like that so will grow frequency

JQ would be an interesting one out of TRG, its almost like if only they had not exited the New Zealand Regional market before Covid-19.
I feel like post Covid-19 with the increase of domestic travel, they probably would of had an better chance of making an profit.

Might of been of been able to grabbed an few Q400s from QLink, for breaking into markets like TRG-CHC

NZ801

Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:02 am

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how much a Customer Service Agent at the airport for Air NZ would be paid please?

zkncj

Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:20 am

NZ801 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone can tell me how much a Customer Service Agent at the airport for Air NZ would be paid please?

An few years back, it used be a couple of dollars more an hour that minimum wage.

Not sure how well it now standards with the minimum wage now being $20/hr.

Kiwings

Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:51 am

They don't pay a lot, I believe it is around the min. wage rate and that is only half the problem. Not sure about NZ, but the other GHA's also often have split shifts.

Certainly at the other GHA's, the staff turn over is high which leads to alot of operational problems for the airlines. It is unfortunately a self perpetuating circle as the airlines are always trying to reduce ground handling costs and this reflects in what the airlines get.

Zkpilot

Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:31 am

NZ801 wrote:

From people I know, it used to be a few dollars more than minimum wage, but then it had a lot of overtime/bonus/penal payments (things like Sunday shifts, early starts, over 12 hours, over 30 hours etc.
Like if you worked more than 12 hours on a Sunday that was a public holiday you’d be getting triple time plus a day in lieu and meal allowance type thing. Might be quite different these days.

a7ala

Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:18 pm

NZ516 wrote:
Plus plenty more daily WLG turboprop services at a 21% regional growth. However CHC is not getting so much love at just 9% extra flights.
How much extra flights will AKL see will be interesting to see. Perhaps the WLG to WRE & KKE will be permanent routes and the AKL flights will be reduced to the Northland airports.

Last time I looked AKL was actually getting a slight decrease. Remember prior to Covid a fair amount of AKL's domestic capacity served the international visitor and NZ resident connecting international market which are both likely to be pretty much absent for the foreseeable future. Not a surprise a correction was needed - im sure when things return to normal AKL will grow again.

a7ala

Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:31 pm

zkncj wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

JQ would be an interesting one out of TRG, its almost like if only they had not exited the New Zealand Regional market before Covid-19.
I feel like post Covid-19 with the increase of domestic travel, they probably would of had an better chance of making an profit.

Might of been of been able to grabbed an few Q400s from QLink, for breaking into markets like TRG-CHC

No chance. When JQ was looking at regional there were other ports they decided to go to ahead of TRG. And what sort of frequncy would they fly? A320 1 per day? So all NZ would do is time one of their 5 dailys to depart 5 mins before the JQ and discount to the same level, while tweaking up the price of the other 4/day flights to cover the impact. If JQ seriously wants to complete they have to offer a decent frequency across a number of routes and the A320 is just far too big.

JQ is able to offer low frequency routes in Australia due to the distances (jet advantage) and the number of primary leisure routes available. In New Zealand we only have 1 primary leisure destination (ZQN) and the other regional ports you are talking about (NSN, TRG etc.) are more VFR and business than leisure...

DavidByrne

Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:58 pm

a7ala wrote:
zkncj wrote:

No chance. When JQ was looking at regional there were other ports they decided to go to ahead of TRG. And what sort of frequncy would they fly? A320 1 per day? So all NZ would do is time one of their 5 dailys to depart 5 mins before the JQ and discount to the same level, while tweaking up the price of the other 4/day flights to cover the impact. If JQ seriously wants to complete they have to offer a decent frequency across a number of routes and the A320 is just far too big.

I wouldn't rule it out at all. Once daily or even 2-3 times a week services with an A320-sized aircraft are straight out of the LCC playbook - and JQ itself practices this on other domestic routes - eg WLG-ZQN 3x weekly and AKL-DUD once daily, both competing with NZ at higher frequencies. If you look at most new LCC routes in Europe (and many long-standing ones) they are almost invariably 2-3x per week. When you're not focusing on attracting business traffic, but leisure and VFR, frequency takes on much less importance.

There's a clear global trend away from hubbing services to point-to-point, and though this has now reached Australia post-covid, with at least 50 new domestic routes announced, it hasn't yet hit NZ. That's in part because most of the remaining unserved links don't touch the three main centres, which provide the main source/destination of passengers. But there's potential IMO for DUD and ZQN to get new connections from the North Island (and possibly from NSN).

GW54

Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:57 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
zkncj wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Cabin Crew can be brought back and receive re current training relatively quickly. Problem is Tech Crew. As I understand it all 777 crew re qualified to 787 and A320, more importantly though a significant number of senior 777 pilots left Air NZ with a leaving package. A number of those that left included Instructors, Training Capts and Check Airman. The 787 crew are actually working reasonably full rosters, doesn't appear to be any fat in the system to cover increased flying?

ZK-NBT

Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:49 am

GW54 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Cabin Crew can be brought back and receive re current training relatively quickly. Problem is Tech Crew. As I understand it all 777 crew re qualified to 787 and A320, more importantly though a significant number of senior 777 pilots left Air NZ with a leaving package. A number of those that left included Instructors, Training Capts and Check Airman. The 787 crew are actually working reasonably full rosters, doesn't appear to be any fat in the system to cover increased flying?

They initially had enough tech crew to operate a daily long haul 77W, did they retrain to the 787? I know the 777 obviously hasn't flown for 18 months, do they really intend to bring the 77W back? 787 tech crew you mean? The fleet is kept reasonably busy running Preighter and some pax flights, do they have enough crew for the whole fleet? At a guess it seems they are using atleast 10-11 789s at once.

NZ516

Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:23 am

Tauranga is certainly getting a busier airport too these days. I came across a photo taken last Saturday morning online at TRG with 5 NZ aircraft and one 3C Saab on the ramp together. And this is of course without any flights running to AKL at present.

zkncj

Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:57 am

NZ516 wrote:
Tauranga is certainly getting a busier airport too these days. I came across a photo taken last Saturday morning online at TRG with 5 NZ aircraft and one 3C Saab on the ramp together. And this is of course without any flights running to AKL at present.

Which raises has the Bay of Plenty Regional Council, put any land aside for an future airport?

TRG is very restricted in physical growth in its current location, without taking land from the port and and large amount of local business.

And there then is the noise issues as traffic grows up

anstar

Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:29 am

Given Delta is in the community, how much additional risk is opening up to fully vaxxed international travellers that test negative prior to travel?

NZ516

Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:07 pm

NZ801 wrote:

I had a look at that it's 50 hours a fortnight. So part time and about $1000 after tax for the two weeks.

NZ516

Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:12 pm

zkncj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Which raises has the Bay of Plenty Regional Council, put any land aside for an future airport?

TRG is very restricted in physical growth in its current location, without taking land from the port and and large amount of local business.

And there then is the noise issues as traffic grows up

Don't know if they have. The terminal was recently expanded and modernized a few years back.

NZ516

Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:53 am

Air NZ is putting A320 jet services between Christchurch and Invercargill for the peak summer.season. This is a big increase in seats over the 68 seat ATR that usually flies this route.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/n ... -christmas

77west

Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:05 am

NZ516 wrote:
Air NZ is putting A320 jet services between Christchurch and Invercargill for the peak summer.season. This is a big increase in seats over the 68 seat ATR that usually flies this route.

I really hope we see more regional jet services going forwards. HLZ-CHC would be great, 2hr on the ATR gets a bit tiresome if you do it often

NZ516

Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:00 pm

77west wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

I really hope we see more regional jet services going forwards. HLZ-CHC would be great, 2hr on the ATR gets a bit tiresome if you do it often

Agree and due to the massive size of HLZ's catchment population of 500,000 and growing in the next few years I think we will see 320s on both HLZ-WLG and HLZ-CHC routes daily.
Even a 320 HLZ-ZQN service will come eventually.

NZ516

Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:10 pm

anstar wrote:
Given Delta is in the community, how much additional risk is opening up to fully vaxxed international travellers that test negative prior to travel?

The Government must see it still too risky yet to do it or not trust the test results from overseas jurisdictions. They maybe also holding out until 5-12 year olds are fully jabbed.

LamboAston

Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:17 am

NZ516 wrote:

Air NZ has also been sending a daily 320NEO from CHC to Dunedin on the 10am flight most days for the last few weeks.

zkncj

Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:47 am

LamboAston wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Air NZ has also been sending a daily 320NEO from CHC to Dunedin on the 10am flight most days for the last few weeks.

Could related to cargo movement? without there being any direct services from AKL currently? and plenty of spare A320 resources until the 15th

NZ516

Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:58 pm

LamboAston wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

I noticed that there is a lot more CHC to WLG jet services than normal as well. Plus extra CHC to ZQN 320 flying. But ATRs are still on the longer CHC to AKL midday service! Which takes 1.50 hours to run so 30 minutes longer than the jet does it.

NZ516

Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:10 pm

With the Auckland border announcement yesterday for 15 Dec visits to the Air NZ website has skyrocketed. Most popular routes booked ex AKL are to ZQN, CHC and WLG.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2021/11/17/auck ... z-website/

planemanofnz

Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:15 am

Polo5959 wrote:

Could an A320 on TRG-CHC also perhaps open some opportunities for cargo, with Ports of Tauranga?

zkncj

Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:19 pm

Queenstown Mayor (Jim Boult) and backed up by often risk adverse epidemiology Michael Baker.

Are calling for the Tasman Bubble, to resume along side the Auckland boarder re-open.

Does seem an fair statement, that Aucklanders are the same or if not more risk than the Tasman Bubble.

Would be awesome to have the Tasman Bubble back for Christmas, just if airlines now have the time to scale the Tasman back up in time.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/127024910/covid19-aucklander-or-australian-it-is-the-same-virus--time-to-open-up-the-border-says-queenstown-mayor

a7ala

Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:59 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Polo5959 wrote:

Could an A320 on TRG-CHC also perhaps open some opportunities for cargo, with Ports of Tauranga?

Seems a bit odd to mix air (time critical) and sea cargo (bulk) ...

zkojq

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:16 pm

Might I assume that ANZ6235 (operated by ZK-OJI) is a test flight? Departing East from Auckland towards Bay Of Plenty. Hopefully a testflight is a good sign with regards to her having a future with another airline, rather than just as soda cans?

PA515 wrote:
zkojq wrote:
ZK-NZC was the 'jabaseat' 787 from the Super Saturday event last month, right?

Correct. There was a short video of the event with part of the nose wheel reg visible, which meant only NZC, NZG or NZQ, but the cabin was a Code 1 and NZG was not in AKL that day.

PA515

Thanks!

VirginFlyer wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
tealnz wrote:
Can anyone tell us how many 77Ws NZ still has on the books? It’s not just the three parked in Auckland, presumably. And surely they would want more than three to maintain a viable fleet if they decide to bring them back into service.

I read somewhere that 6 of the 77W fleet will come back, so not sure which one is not might be the oldest ZKOKM.

OKO, OKR, and OKS are leased, so depending on the terms of the leases, it may be from among those that one or more doesn't return. The former is in AKL, the latter two are at VCV. Of the owned frames, OKN and OKQ are in AKL, OKM and OKP are in VCV. Given the volatility of the situation at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if there is more than one plan in the pipeline, contingent on a number of different market conditions for 2022 and beyond.

V/F

Probably also depends on which is due for a heavy maintenance visit next.

NZ1Super wrote:
tbh the government is going to open up at some point but likely going to be a forced one, but what the government is doing is opening up the border by opening up to smaller Pacific countries then to other bigger countries due to small cases which I'll agree with you is too slow, but I still have faith they'll be able to make a decision within this year on other countries outside the Pacific.

With Auckland now "opened up" to the rest of the country from December 15th, ending MIQ will be the Media's next prime target. Won't last long now IMO (though I'm fully aware that I said this about a month ago with minimal - if any - progress since.....)

PA515

Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:15 am

zkojq wrote:
Might I assume that ANZ6235 (operated by ZK-OJI) is a test flight? Departing East from Auckland towards Bay Of Plenty. Hopefully a testflight is a good sign with regards to her having a future with another airline, rather than just as soda cans?

It's a test flight, but they all get one after end of lease maintenance. ZK-OJI and ZK-OJM were owned aircraft but about early 2020 four owned regional 320s were sold and leased back. Probably all went to the same buyer. If it departs for TUS then I expect it will be broken up.

PA515

NZ516

Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:56 pm

Air Chathams will follow Air NZ COVID requirements for domestic travel. The airline is looking forward to welcome back passengers on the 15th of December. Luckily they got a fair amount of cargo flying which kept them a float during the lockdowns.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/kapiti-news/ ... XJDJB6C6I/

zkncj

Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:38 pm

PA515 wrote:
zkojq wrote:

It's a test flight, but they all get one after end of lease maintenance. ZK-OJI and ZK-OJM were owned aircraft but about early 2020 four owned regional 320s were sold and leased back. Probably all went to the same buyer. If it departs for TUS then I expect it will be broken up.

PA515

If Covid-19 wasn’t an thing, they probably had an better chance of finding an new home, other than being coming an coke can.

Some of the earlier a320 that left the flight pre Covid-19, ended up going to some second tier airlines.

zkncj

Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:02 pm

Since Christmas and New Years fall on the weekend this year, along with the New Zealand shuffle the public holidays along to the next week day.

Has proven to cause an few issues with passengers who require there negative covid test within 72hours of departure. Which most private clinics doing travel testing closed over these dates.

It’s about time an year round clinic is opened at AKL, that able to provide paid testing for passengers.

I believe SYD now has an clinic where you can get your test result within an couple of hours.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/travel/2021/11/covid-19-testing-oversight-could-see-thousands-scrambling-to-get-pre-departure-tests-over-christmas-new-year-period.html

PA515

Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:44 pm

Air NZ A320-232 ZK-OJI (msn 2297) is on FR24 as NZ6098 AKL-RAR tomorrow morning 21 Nov. If it goes to TUS then that will be four. The others were OJB, OJD and OJF.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zk-oji

PA515

planemanofnz

Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:16 am

a7ala wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Polo5959 wrote:

Seems a bit odd to mix air (time critical) and sea cargo (bulk) ...

True - you're probably right. I was just thinking about the public reporting about ongoing issues with truck driver shortages as well as the ferries between the North and South Island, and how some may be therefore willing to add the cost of air freight for that short domestic segment of the overall route of cargo, to avoid delays and disruptions. But appreciate it'll be passenger traffic driving this route, if anything.

zkncj

Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:26 am

I wonder how a 3C base would do in TRG? Or if NZ would try to compete with them on any route they started?

When the Tasman Bubble was an thing they operated AKL-NLK with a SF3. Routes like TRG-DUD/ZQN/NSN would of all be similar to operating to NLK.

An daily TRG-ZQN service with an SF3, probably could work?

zkojq

Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:24 am

ZK-NHF entered service this morning:

NZ1289 1044 NZAA 1132 NZWN

NZ1290 1340 NZWN 1424 NZAA

Was supposedly scheduled for NZ1925 also, but that appears to have been canceled.

I guess based on the flight numbers that these are MIQ charters?

NPL8800

Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:08 am

zkojq wrote:

Was supposedly scheduled for NZ1925 also, but that appears to have been canceled.

These are just the normal temporary AKL flight numbers until the 15th I imagine.

NZ516

Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:19 am

New boss of Queenstown Airport wants to restrict growth of the airport to keep the locals happy. He also believes the prominent location of the airport is far superior to the proposed new Tarras airport.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industri ... y-backlash

GW54

Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:16 am

zkojq wrote:

Anything starting with 12** is a scheduled service. Ordinarily it would indjcate that it was additional to the normal schedule but with lockdown all domestic jet flights in or out of AKL are using 12** numbers. The 19** are Covid repatriation flights and are followed by a 61** number which is the positioning leg back to Auckland for deep cleaning.

NZ1Super

Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:53 am

NZ516 wrote:
New boss of Queenstown Airport wants to restrict growth of the airport to keep the locals happy. He also believes the prominent location of the airport is far superior to the proposed new Tarras airport.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industri ... y-backlash

Problem with this idea is that people in Tarras don't want an airport there at all cause of environmental factors and no aims to reduce carbon emissions. Wanaka Stakeholder group conducted a survey about the project and 87% said the opposed the idea. Also Wanaka Stakeholder Group sent a email apparently to the prime minister about this too so ideally you would have to say this project isn't going to go ahead.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/436807/group-objecting-to-airport-expansion-in-wanaka-and-tarras-wants-government-to-step-in

From a personal point of view, Personally for me, I would like for Wanaka airport to expand their airport given its hard to get too if you're living In the north island since Air New Zealand doesn't fly there from Auckland or Wellington and they should consider expanding given Queenstown size is getting to a point where its not able cater. Also don't want Queenstown Airport expanding their size at all, prefer it if they stay just the way that they are and reduce amount of Auckland flights and transfer it too Wanaka or make all A321 Neos fly there from Auckland, along with they should move some of the Sydney flights to Wanaka and try to get Jetstar, Virgin Australia or Qantas to create flights from Adelaide, Sunshine Coast and Perth also look to add more flights from Brisbane and Gold Coast.

They should focus on expanding the size of Wanaka airport and be able to cater A320 family and 737 family jets which would provide new routes such as Auckland, Wellington, Sydney and better convience who want to make Wanaka their final destination.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos