Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 11/21: The resurgence continues

Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:19 pm

Good evening everyone and welcome to our penultime thread of 2021. It's been a rollercoaster year, starting with the lockdowns and the Gardai on duty on airport access roads (continuing well into the year). It's been a horrible year for airlines, but at least, with new routes being added, demand rebuilding and the likes of America and Australia reopening, confidence is returning. Let's hope it continues. Some highlights from October:

- FR and EI commit to new routes to/from ORK
- FR (and group) 737 Max deliveries continue apace, now over 20 in service
- Aer Lingus wet leasing an A330 to Vueling for short haul European routes
- EI also to restore closed US routes; SNN transatlantic confirmed for next summer
- UAL drops DUB-SFO, but adds second EWR flight
- EK goes daily and has also started second flight EK 163/4 once a week, which will rise
- TK A330s now commonplace on DUB route

All this is, of course, against a background of increasing Covid cases in Ireland (and many other cases), which remains a concern. There is certainly no appetite for a return to lockdowns, especially with the last restrictions having been removed. However, no doubt the situation will be kept under review.

Anyone, here's to a successful month in Irish aviation and let's hope the recovery continues, notwithstanding the fact that we are now into the winter season.

Here's the link to the last thread, should you wish to refer back: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1465303

OA260

Re: Irish 11/21: The resurgence continues

Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:42 pm

kaitak wrote:
- TK A330s now commonplace on DUB route

Would love to see these stay on the route for the long term. Of course they have sent a few 777's too. An odd A350 would be nice.

Also they will run DUB - AYT from April to October next year .

EI202

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:55 pm

eicvd wrote
"I was just going by the departure board in the lounge, 2 FR MAN departures at exactly the same time (1025) & one said cancelled. Didn’t notice the 1015, just saw the 2 MAN departures at the same time & thought it was unusual."

FR24 showed both flights in the air at the same time on the way to Manchester.

KIRFlyer

Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:10 pm

BrianDromey wrote:

I don't think anyone knows what the demand will be like in September 2022. It could be quite strong, or if summer holidays turned Southern Europe into a COVID factory demand could be decimated. I think that is unlikely, with the reopening of the US, more domestic leisure activities, assuming fairly stable case numbers over the winter, I think people will be able to judge for themselves how things are going. I suspect bookings will be quite strong after the Christmas period. While business demand might be down, there are a lot of vouchers still to be used and people have been saving as well, so demand prediction is complete guesswork at this point.

Ryanair price out around €197 for their Regular fare (I know the details of the Hand Luggage Vs Check-In 10KG are slightly different its advanced seat assignment with FR, at OLCI with EI). So around the €200 return seems to be fair enough, if those are the dates you want to go book it and never look back!

We're firmly into crystal ball territory here - I really wouldn't book a flight on the basis of an aircraft type right now, let alone September next year. Book the most convenient and see what happens!

All those points are pretty valid, and food for thought.

eidvm wrote:
I’d imagine it’s likely to be a 330 given this years frequency of the 330 on the route, as to whether it’s good value to book now or wait that’s crystal ball stuff, but if you think it’s reasonable (€100pp each way) then is just book, no knowing if prices will shoot up if we make it through winter with no lockdowns or if demand will plummet again by some new vaccine resistant variant.

Id imagine prices will only go up as the closer we get to the dates the more confident people will get and the faster demand recover, so I’d probably book. Certainly cant see us in lockdown this time next year so from that point of view I’d just book now and have it to look forward to.

I'm seeing a theme. Book em now. No need to wait :)

Irish Lessor wrote:
Hi KIRFlyer
Personally I've never seen prices quite so high as they are not for travel at Christmas on certain popular sun routes, same for Sept/Oct to the same places in the sunbelt and the med. MOL has said to expect prices to be higher in peak and high demand periods. Prices might come down, but they may go up. My guess would be the pricing you have is where it will be at, or close to that.

Cheers for all the advice. I think i'll book em.

On a completely separate note. Flew DUB-KIR-DUB with FR during the week. Flights were surprisingly busy. Load factor was around 40/50 people each flight. DUB was grand to get through. No issues or hassle. KIR was a doddle. First time in the airport since they built on the "small" extension. New duty free area, and an actual bar airside! Very fancy. My flight was €34 return. My mother in law is flying DUB-KIR tomorrow(flight booked yesterday) at €12. How are the prices so low? This is like Ryanair of the Celtic Tiger Era. MOL is not making a profit on these flights, and he most certainly is not operating them for the goodness in his heart, or for the Kerryman! What is his game plan? What's he up to? These flights cannot stay about much into 2022. Is he operating them purely because he has too many planes idle, and needs to send em somewhere, and he can also keep pilots current?

IceCream

Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:31 am

I'm hearing that WS DUB-YYC might go 4x weekly in S22, as well as the previously mentioned DUB-YYZ. I wonder if WS might go year-round to DUB, particularly YYZ?

OA260

Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:38 am

Ryanair’s first-half losses tumble almost 90% to €48m
Passenger traffic rebounded when the EU introduced its EU digital Covid certificate

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.4715903

OA260

Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:13 am

Passengers hit out at queues for security at Belfast International Airport

PASSENGERS have hit out at the queues for security at Belfast International Airport, describing the situation as "a mess".

www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandn ... t-2495550/

--

Ryanair slams 'delusionary' Boeing in 737 jet price row

DUBLIN, Nov 1 (Reuters) - The boss of Ireland's Ryanair (RYA.I) on Monday ramped up a war of words with Boeing (BA.N), calling the U.S. planemaker "delusionary" for imposing what he termed a double-digit percentage price hike for 737 MAX 10 jets in talks this year.

www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defe ... 021-11-01/

--

Dublin-based Aercap completes deal to become world’s biggest aircraft lessor
Aercap agreed in March to buy rival from US giant General Electric for $30bn in cash and shares

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.4716401

BrianDromey

Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:47 am

Had a quick trip LHR-SNN-LHR this weekend. Its good to see somethings are returning to a more normal pattern. Check-In at T2 LHR is less chaotic than it was in August now that T3 has reopened and EI have more check-in space. While there is still a fairly extensive Doc check, its much easier with the DCC. I had sent my documents with Verifly, but nothing was mentioned at all. I was fairly negative about the check-in 10KG bag, but it is a pretty good solution and there is much less chaos during boarding, so thats good - bags were on the carousel at SNN and LHR by the time we got to the baggage hall. Thats an especially good performance at LHR, I think.

The A32Q is a very good experience on-board. The comfort, fit and finish of the seats, carpets and moodlighting is very good. There has been a lot on these forums about small toilets with the spaceflex galleys, I thought they were fine. Certainly no worse than the forward toilet on a 737 or an ATR.

Shannon Airport has had a refurbishment since I was last there. Some of the improvements are positive, some less so. There was quite a queue for passport and DCC control at SNN and no social distancing either, which is a shame. The passport hall seems very small, considering it looks like it has been refurbished/refreshed relatively recently and SNN is not an airport with space constraints! I’m not sure how they would cope with several transatlantic arrivals at once. The landslide restaurant looks like it has been permanently closed - is that a COVID thing? The ground level gates aren’t great either, again quite clusterphobic and struggling to deal with an A320 and 737 departing within 40 minutes of each other.
More positively the new CT scanners are great and the duty-free area is very well merchandised and fitted out, the bar area and central seating area also look very smart. The aviation gallery is a real paradise - it looks like any aircraft type/livery that passed through SNN is featured. Its a really cool part of the airport. SNN really doesn’t suit my travel patterns so I think it will be a while until I see it again, that said the staff are very friendly, efficient and know their jobs. It is very easy to travel through and while the airside parts of the building aren’t in the first flush of their youth, they have been kept up-to-date in the main.

VFRonTop

Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:07 am

KIRFlyer wrote:
On a completely separate note. Flew DUB-KIR-DUB with FR during the week. Flights were surprisingly busy. Load factor was around 40/50 people each flight. DUB was grand to get through. No issues or hassle. KIR was a doddle. First time in the airport since they built on the "small" extension. New duty free area, and an actual bar airside! Very fancy. My flight was €34 return. My mother in law is flying DUB-KIR tomorrow(flight booked yesterday) at €12. How are the prices so low? This is like Ryanair of the Celtic Tiger Era. MOL is not making a profit on these flights, and he most certainly is not operating them for the goodness in his heart, or for the Kerryman! What is his game plan? What's he up to? These flights cannot stay about much into 2022. Is he operating them purely because he has too many planes idle, and needs to send em somewhere, and he can also keep pilots current?

I also came through KIR this weekend, the Friday afternoon DUBKIR flight had 100+ passengers. The return on Monday evening was quiet (I was Seq 29 at T-2hours)
Enjoyed the KIR airport refresh, the scanners are handy, great not having to remove liquids or electronics. Was fascinated watching the 3D model of every item up on the screen, v cool. Security was well staffed. Tray management may cause an issue at busier times though.

KIR has managed to get you to walk through duty free before getting to the gate, no mean feat with the size of the airport as a whole! Great little airport.

I know it'll never happen but I do wish DUB had a domestic arrivals facility so you don't have to go through immigration (and all CTA arrivals for that matter)

AmricanShamrok

Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:55 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
Had a quick trip LHR-SNN-LHR this weekend. Its good to see somethings are returning to a more normal pattern. Check-In at T2 LHR is less chaotic than it was in August now that T3 has reopened and EI have more check-in space. While there is still a fairly extensive Doc check, its much easier with the DCC. I had sent my documents with Verifly, but nothing was mentioned at all. I was fairly negative about the check-in 10KG bag, but it is a pretty good solution and there is much less chaos during boarding, so thats good - bags were on the carousel at SNN and LHR by the time we got to the baggage hall. Thats an especially good performance at LHR, I think.

The A32Q is a very good experience on-board. The comfort, fit and finish of the seats, carpets and moodlighting is very good. There has been a lot on these forums about small toilets with the spaceflex galleys, I thought they were fine. Certainly no worse than the forward toilet on a 737 or an ATR.

Shannon Airport has had a refurbishment since I was last there. Some of the improvements are positive, some less so. There was quite a queue for passport and DCC control at SNN and no social distancing either, which is a shame. The passport hall seems very small, considering it looks like it has been refurbished/refreshed relatively recently and SNN is not an airport with space constraints! I’m not sure how they would cope with several transatlantic arrivals at once. The landslide restaurant looks like it has been permanently closed - is that a COVID thing? The ground level gates aren’t great either, again quite clusterphobic and struggling to deal with an A320 and 737 departing within 40 minutes of each other.
More positively the new CT scanners are great and the duty-free area is very well merchandised and fitted out, the bar area and central seating area also look very smart. The aviation gallery is a real paradise - it looks like any aircraft type/livery that passed through SNN is featured. Its a really cool part of the airport. SNN really doesn’t suit my travel patterns so I think it will be a while until I see it again, that said the staff are very friendly, efficient and know their jobs. It is very easy to travel through and while the airside parts of the building aren’t in the first flush of their youth, they have been kept up-to-date in the main.

I had a slightly different experience the other week when I travelled LHR-SNN. I had no document checks at all at LHR before my SNN flight. I was able to check-in via the app so went straight to security. Nothing was checked at the gate except passport and boarding pass. My flight used one of the e-gates to board so staff weren't even checking the carry-on bags to see if they were pre-booked or needed to be charged and gate-checked. I was unlucky enough to have an A320 for my flight so didn't get to experience the 32Q.

The long queues at SNN for passports are fairly consistent now and disappointing. There were also only two desks manned the last two times I passed through. I also agree about that the ground-level gates - these should be used as overflow capacity only and get the bulk of flights using gates 6-14 on the pier.

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:33 pm

Does anyone know the registration of that FR 738 that got badly damaged by a pushback tug at STN recently? Haven't seen anything about it in Aviation Herald.

BrianDromey

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:45 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
I was unlucky enough to have an A320 for my flight so didn't get to experience the 32Q.

The long queues at SNN for passports are fairly consistent now and disappointing. There were also only two desks manned the last two times I passed through. I also agree about that the ground-level gates - these should be used as overflow capacity only and get the bulk of flights using gates 6-14 on the pier.

We were switched to an A320 on the return, it was a 32Q at OLCI and interestingly there were AerSpace headrest in rows 2 & 3 as well. I guess they sell more than 4 on flights planned to be 32Q.

The queues are all the more frustrating when you pass straight into the baggage halls on the UK side. It's a real shame the UK & Ireland did not join Schengen - I vaguely recall negotiations about a decade ago, but any google search just pulls up Brexit stuff. Hard to imagine that the UK joining Schengen was a realistic prospect not so long ago, before Brexit was a glint in mainstream politicians eyes.

Its also quite strange to have cargo jets parked on airbridge stands while passengers walk in the rain! Not that Ryanair would use jet bridges, but it seems a slightly odd stand usage policy.

OA260

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:55 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
[
The queues are all the more frustrating when you pass straight into the baggage halls on the UK side. It's a real shame the UK & Ireland did not join Schengen - I vaguely recall negotiations about a decade ago,.

Well it just goes to show that Schengen was not the issue if the UK have and continue to operate a free flowing CTA arrivals system and the Irish cant/wont. They had a blank sheet to design one when T2 was built yet chose not too . Even Irish Domestic flights dont avoid it . When LHR T5 & T2 were built they invested in a specific CTA arrivals corridor as part of the design . I met one of the managers in charge of that specific project on a DUB - LHR flight once.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:41 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
Its also quite strange to have cargo jets parked on airbridge stands while passengers walk in the rain! Not that Ryanair would use jet bridges, but it seems a slightly odd stand usage policy.

Funny you mention that - the last day I arrived in SNN there was an FR 738 parked at Gate 9 with the airbridge attached. Never seen that before and I have no idea why that was.

Fliplot

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:44 pm

No matter the argument from the DAA on CTA/Domestic arrival facilities it is simoly stupid. As ever with the DAA a half assed effort. It's not retail so don't do it.

BrianDromey

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:52 pm

Fliplot wrote:
No matter the argument from the DAA on CTA/Domestic arrival facilities it is simoly stupid. As ever with the DAA a half assed effort. It's not retail so don't do it.

Maybe, or maybe its the GNIB, etc? I think all Irish airports apply the same passport checks to inbound arrivals from the UK? The same are not applied at Dublin port, why they are different who knows?

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Funny you mention that - the last day I arrived in SNN there was an FR 738 parked at Gate 9 with the airbridge attached. Never seen that before and I have no idea why that was.

I have boarded an FR flight at AGP through the airbridge. I think the airport authority there insist on it.

JAmie2k9

Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:20 pm

We have been over this before, current legislation allows passport checks for any non Irish/British citizens entering Ireland even from the CTA. The change was made for a good reason at the time.

It could now be argued with the technological advances the requirement for inspections isn't needed and they could revert back however it simply will not happen.

OA260

Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:18 pm

https://twitter.com/dublinairport/statu ... 35981?s=21

Great to see the new Vueling inaugural DUB - ORY.

richcandy

Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:03 am

OA260 wrote:

I think they started BFS-ORY yesterday as well.

Hopefully the route will last however last nights EZY BFS-CDG had just 68 pax.

Alex

OA260

Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:00 am

richcandy wrote:
OA260 wrote:

I think they started BFS-ORY yesterday as well.

Hopefully the route will last however last nights EZY BFS-CDG had just 68 pax.

Alex

Hard to know in these current times. Its going to be a interesting 6 months. You can see it by some of the fares around. A few of my mates are heading on a day trip to LGW with FR for duty free shopping. 3 hours on the ground and back again for around €20!

OA260

Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:28 pm

Some good news for SNN :

Shannon has received a boost after Dublin-based AerCap – the world’s biggest aircraft lessor – said it has signed a 20-year joint venture agreement that has seen it become a joint partner in an engine support business based there.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 10906.html

JAmie2k9

Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:29 am

Swiss add x1 weekly Cork-Geneva for ski season starting 19th December.

OA260

Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:39 am

October Saw Almost 1.6 Million Passengers Travel Through Dublin Airport

Close to 1.6 Million passengers travelled through Dublin Airport in October, a 46% drop when compared to pre-COVID19 levels.

www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2021/ ... in-airport

iRISH251

Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:56 am

OA260 wrote:
October Saw Almost 1.6 Million Passengers Travel Through Dublin Airport

Close to 1.6 Million passengers travelled through Dublin Airport in October, a 46% drop when compared to pre-COVID19 levels.

http://www.dublinairport.com/latest-new ... in-airport

However, averaged over a year in 2022 this would see 20 million passengers - well short of the pre-Covid levels but still very respectable. Much will depend on the extent to which the EI hub model achieves the sort of throughput that it had achieved by 2019.

BrianDromey

Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:08 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Swiss add x1 weekly Cork-Geneva for ski season starting 19th December.

A route that has been missing for quite some time! Its on-sale from tomorrow, I guess they have a block booking from Crystal, or the likes.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/ ... 36796.html

OA260

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:34 pm

The interline issue at MAN with Aer Lingus to Aer Lingus UK has been resolved. All passeners booked on one ticket will have their bags through checked.

OA260

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:36 pm

As expected a lot of demand for the USA flights for Monday.

All seats on Aer Lingus flights to US sold for Monday as transatlantic flights resume

Aer Lingus said today that it has sold every seat on its flights to the US for Monday, as restrictions lift on foreign travellers entering the US and transatlantic flights resume.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/1105/1258 ... y-results/

Fliplot

Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:51 pm

EI giving themselves a pat on the back! Don't they realise how bad it would have been for them if they were not able to fill those seats? PR nightmare.

Nothing though about bookings after Monday!!

shamrock350

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:52 pm

Fliplot wrote:
EI giving themselves a pat on the back! Don't they realise how bad it would have been for them if they were not able to fill those seats? PR nightmare.

Nothing though about bookings after Monday!!

A truly bizarre take as usual.

It was their group results today, of course questions are going to come up about forward bookings. If you had read the rest of the article the CEO goes on to state that while the airline had more than halved its Q3 loss, it was still a “eye-watering amount” and although it’s sold out transatlantic on Monday, the rest of the winter “obviously won’t stay that way” despite “some strong pockets of forward bookings” in the fourth quarter.

There certainly was no “patting on the back” by the CEO with those comments.

dennypayne

Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:05 am

Does anyone have the latest status on EI fleet repaints into the new livery? I tried to find a thread on that and didn’t come up with anything. Did they accelerate any repaints when utilization was lower?

Fliplot

Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:20 am

Mau well be bizzare shamrock350 but it's my opinion. I read the full statement a few times and it provides zero forward/future information. She states it's a eye watering loss but doesnt tell us what wss opersting loss and whst wad one off writs offs - for example the SNN crew bsse.

EI require neither of ys ro gelo them dress their results - positively or negatively. The sre masters of understatement and verbiage!

OA260

Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:46 am

Aer Lingus have confirmed its cabin crew base at Shannon Airport will not be reopening.

Transatlantic services at Shannon Airport are to resume in March with daily routes to New York, JFK and Boston. There will be 14 services a week operated by Aer Lingus’ A321LR NEO aircraft.

www.clareecho.ie/aer-lingus-rule-out-re ... n-airport/

--

Pilot raised Blackrock issues four years before crash

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1258078/

--

Gatwick service from Knock to run daily for summer 2022

www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/125576/g ... ummer-2022

shamrock350

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:40 am

Fliplot wrote:
Mau well be bizzare shamrock350 but it's my opinion. I read the full statement a few times and it provides zero forward/future information. She states it's a eye watering loss but doesnt tell us what wss opersting loss and whst wad one off writs offs - for example the SNN crew bsse.

EI require neither of ys ro gelo them dress their results - positively or negatively. The sre masters of understatement and verbiage!

All that information and more is literally available for anyone to see in the IAG presentation and results page of their website.

Not sure why you’re expecting an RTE online article to have that level of detail, it’s not their remit to regurgitate the intricate details of a quarterly earnings.

dennypayne wrote:
Does anyone have the latest status on EI fleet repaints into the new livery? I tried to find a thread on that and didn’t come up with anything. Did they accelerate any repaints when utilization was lower?

Repaints were paused during the pandemic. It was almost certainly viewed as an additional cost that could be avoided in the short term. I believe the repainting programme was only carried out between Jan-Mar anyway, traditionally the quietest time.

Here’s a list of aircraft in the new livery;

A320

EI-CVA - (mismatched engine cowlings)
EI-CVB - (mismatched engine cowlings)
EI-DVL
EI-DVN
EI-DVK - (mismatched engine cowlings)
EI-DEK - (mismatched engine cowlings)
EI-DEE - (mistmatched engine cowlings)
EI-EDS - (mismatched engine cowlings)
EI-DES - (mismatched engine cowlings)

9/31

A321Neo LR

EI-LRA
EI-LRB
EI-LRC
EI-LRD
EI-LRE
EI-LRF
EI-LRG
EI-LRH

8/8

A330-300

G-EIDY - (mistmatched engine cowlings)
G-EILA
EI-EIM
EI-EIN
EI-EIK
EI-EIL

6/12

Unfortunately the relatively small pool of repainted A320s means there’s a lack of parts in the matching colour, engines are serviced regularly and the majority of the repainted A320 fleet now feature an array of white engine cowlings. It’s a bit like looking at someone wearing odd socks!

Previously two of the A333s, EI-EDY and EI-ELA also featured this ‘odd sock’ look but EI-ELA (G-EILA) was corrected during its preparation for the Manchester base but EI-EDY (G-EIDY) wasn’t.

I’m hoping the repaints start again this winter but I wouldn’t be surprised if it continued on the back burner.

OA260

Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:23 pm

Aer Lingus 'in dialogue' with State over further loans to boost liquidity
Earlier this year, the airline borrowed €150m from the Ireland Strategic Investment Fund and said it would be 'appropriate' to borrow more

www.irishexaminer.com/business/companie ... 38173.html

--

Aer Lingus makes ‘ambitious’ plans for transatlantic traffic next summer
IAG-owned airline bets on recovery as two-thirds of Irish people say they hope to travel abroad in 2022

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 22976.html

Eagleboy

Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:59 pm

OA260 wrote:
IAG-owned airline bets on recovery as two-thirds of Irish people say they hope to travel abroad in 2022

EI use this word "ambitious" in their own press release.
Personally I think it a bit sad that a return to less then the 2019 schedule is viewed as "ambitious" by EI Mgmt.

According to stats published by Eurocontrol over the last couple of months EI are one of the carriers lagging behind the return to 2019 level operations.

shamrock350

Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:49 pm

Eagleboy wrote:
OA260 wrote:

EI use this word "ambitious" in their own press release.
Personally I think it a bit sad that a return to less then the 2019 schedule is viewed as "ambitious" by EI Mgmt.

According to stats published by Eurocontrol over the last couple of months EI are one of the carriers lagging behind the return to 2019 level operations.

A fair comment when you consider a number of its rivals will be either at or above 2019 levels for next summer however when you take into account the severity of Ireland's travel restrictions and the toxic narrative surrounding air travel in particular, it's not so much of a surprise the 'home team' is taking longer to recover. It was only a few months ago we were bombarded by news of Garda check points at the airport, government ministers publicly denouncing anyone who traveled out of the country without good reason, the mandatory hotel quarantine debacle, regular media hyperbole regarding travel related cases, the delay to reopening etc. the damage that did at the time cannot be underestimated.

You could argue that Aer Lingus was uniquely impacted not just by the pandemic but also Ireland's tough, sometimes overzealous, handling of it and the restrictions it imposed. Some will say, "but Ryanair have bounced back!", and that's true but the vast majority of Ryanair's business is outside Ireland so the other markets it operates in across Europe played to their advantage in keeping the overall business ready for a bounce back in those markets that were slower to respond. Ryanair's ability to operate Irish routes with non-Irish based crews and aircraft from Lauda, Malta, Buzz etc. is also an advantage which will only become even more common in the years ahead.

Aer Lingus has had failings, it's been far too defeatist in its attitude as displayed by the regular "far smaller airline" comments from its management throughout the pandemic when in reality the airline should have no excuses but to aim for growth on 2019 levels from 2023 onwards. We're also looking at a situation next summer where the long haul fleet available to them will be as busy as ever unless they reactivate the A330-200 fleet and by 2023 they'll probably need additional frames if they're to expand. So much for a much smaller airline! On short haul, there's one big question hanging over the business and that's the readiness of Emerald, if they're ready to go with decent capacity by March, that should free up a number of A320s currently covering routes from Dublin and Belfast City, allowing a further bolstering of the summer schedule. By summer 2023 they should again be looking at additional frames or temporary capacity in the peak months.

With all this in mind, 90% of 2019 levels for next summer doesn't look too bad, it's a much prettier picture than what most would have expected a few months ago. Yes, it lags behind some others and in the meantime exposes the business to marketshare loss but there's no doubt that once again they're emerging a leaner airline.

In the medium term there really needs to be a look at the overall viability of the short haul network and what can be done to secure it. I understand short haul fleet renewal is on the cards so we live in hope this involves a top to bottom look at everything from network and frequency to seat density and product.

Fliplot

Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:40 am

Within rhe IAG Group a top to bottom review has meant at all group carriers a shift to the bottom. I'd expect the same at EI.

OA260

Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:58 am

Aer Lingus have released their latest BOB menu and not much has changed. No real significant additions and no reintroduction of sandwiches/hot food.

https://www.aerlingus.com/media/pdfs/bia.pdf

--

Jetting off: 10,000 people to depart Dublin airport for US

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/jet ... 28390.html

A busy day today at T2 . Im sure RTE will be broadcasting from the airport later. Hopefully things go smoothly at security and a CBP due to the big increase in volume expected today and the rest of the week.

BrianDromey

Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:40 am

shamrock350 wrote:
With all this in mind, 90% of 2019 levels for next summer doesn't look too bad, it's a much prettier picture than what most would have expected a few months ago. Yes, it lags behind some others and in the meantime exposes the business to marketshare loss but there's no doubt that once again they're emerging a leaner airline.

In the medium term there really needs to be a look at the overall viability of the short haul network and what can be done to secure it. I understand short haul fleet renewal is on the cards so we live in hope this involves a top to bottom look at everything from network and frequency to seat density and product.

I think short haul has been something EI haven't really been interested in for quite some time. Zooming out, IAG really isn't too interested in Intra-Europe flying, their main interests are long haul flying to North and South America. They serve the odd ASEAN and South African city from London, but thats really about it. Short Haul acts as a feeder to the overall operation but prior to the past 12 months was just about tolerated. The operational and repetitional nightmare that is Vueling and the short-lived short-haul LEVEL operation stand out for the wrong reasons. I think EI have been a bit better than that historically, but not much.
Fleet renewal will surely be framed in the larger IAG group, likely to be much more dense than the current fleet. Across the apron FR will be operating scored of 197 seat 737-8200s. EI will find it very difficult to compete on costs with that. Especially as they seem to be letting FR run away with the O&D market during the recovery.

Fliplot wrote:
Within rhe IAG Group a top to bottom review has meant at all group carriers a shift to the bottom. I'd expect the same at EI.

I'm not sure thats entirely fair from a product point of view. There is no doubt IAG have taken the opportunity to slash T&C's, if thats what you mean. While there is a lot of criticism online about IAG, if you look at trip reports from LH, KL and other European airlines the reality is that they all offer a fairly comparable product. While AF do have a highly regarded F, its on a tiny proportion of routes, the LH First Class Terminal is also class-leading, but not available to most travellers. In Business, Premium Economy and Economy I don't think any of the EU3 have a particularly outstanding product. What EK, QR and even TK offer is largely irrelevant unless you are travelling East and willing to trade a non-stop flight for a Q-Suite. These are regions IAG has little interest in, rightly or wrongly. Indeed they have a JV with QR for some of these destinations.

JannEejit

Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:56 am

As regards the mismatched cowlings during maintenance, is there any reason why they don't put the same cowling(s) back on the aircraft it came from ? Are the cowlings themselves damaged, requiring repair or is it some other reason ? It's not as if you take your car in for maintenance and they put a different coloured hood on it. Are "uniform" standards no longer important ?

Fliplot

Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:57 am

A general lack of interest in appearance, a less than stellar brand and I think apathy are all reasons for the miss matches. For example the inaugural airceaft to Barbados could have done with a wash!!

ClassicLover

Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:09 am

OA260 wrote:
Aer Lingus have released their latest BOB menu and not much has changed. No real significant additions and no reintroduction of sandwiches/hot food.

I'd pay good money to find out why the breakfast isn't back. It's the one food item that distinguishes Aer Lingus from the others. It's literally the one thing I look forward to when flying with Aer Lingus as well. Might have to take BA to Amsterdam in December instead.

OA260

Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:30 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

I'd pay good money to find out why the breakfast isn't back. It's the one food item that distinguishes Aer Lingus from the others. It's literally the one thing I look forward to when flying with Aer Lingus as well. Might have to take BA to Amsterdam in December instead.

I do wonder if that will ever be back. Once things like that go as time passes its less of a priority. Its part of the old Aer Lingus model and unless they see a decent revenue gain in providing it the space will be used for other things like duty free which now shows in the Bia brochure for GB flights and select others.

Aer Lingus have a flash USA sale for bookings on their website . One of the terms is you must stay a Sat night. I thought those archaic fare rules were mostly a thing of the past.

shamrock350

Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:48 pm

JannEejit wrote:
As regards the mismatched cowlings during maintenance, is there any reason why they don't put the same cowling(s) back on the aircraft it came from ? Are the cowlings themselves damaged, requiring repair or is it some other reason ? It's not as if you take your car in for maintenance and they put a different coloured hood on it. Are "uniform" standards no longer important ?

I assume they’re put into a stock of spares so it’s just luck of the draw, they do try and match livery but if the pool of usable spares in matching colours is low, as it currently is during livery transition, it’s difficult.

G-EILA had both of its mismatched cowlings on the no.2 engine corrected before its move to Manchester but E-EIDY couldn’t as the two cowlings it’s missing have been placed on EI-LAX just before it was put into storage and the other has appeared on EI-DUZ which is now operating on the short term Vueling contract.

Before;

After;

Unfortunately it’s something that plagues airlines with liveried engines, even when they’re not in a transition to new livery.

It should at least become rarer once repaints restart.

ClassicLover wrote:
I'd pay good money to find out why the breakfast isn't back.

A quick chat with Dnata may yield some results. :ziplip:

AmricanShamrok

Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:59 pm

OA260 wrote:
Aer Lingus have a flash USA sale for bookings on their website . One of the terms is you must stay a Sat night. I thought those archaic fare rules were mostly a thing of the past.

I never understood that rule...do airlines somehow make more money off you if you stay the Saturday night?

nascar1

Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:15 pm

There are some rumors that 2 A330-330 will be transferred to Iberia. Does anybody have more info about that?

OA260

Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:29 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:

I never understood that rule...do airlines somehow make more money off you if you stay the Saturday night?

Historically these minimum stays of a Saturday night or 7 days were to stop corporate clients availing of these low yield fares forcing them to go for higher ones if they just wanted one or two nights. With the loss of a lot of this business I guess that any corporate Y flyers they can get they don't want them on these ultra low leisure fares. Still it remains to be seen if this is the reason this time around or if they really save that much by discouraging others who would have booked a short midweek break had the rule not been in place. Although according to Aer Lingus they say the next few days are full or heavily booked the periods outside of the current rush and holiday dates will be harder to fill. It will be interesting to see if that rule gets dropped in the next sales.

Clydenairways

Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:41 pm

Fliplot wrote:
A general lack of interest in appearance, a less than stellar brand and I think apathy are all reasons for the miss matches. For example the inaugural airceaft to Barbados could have done with a wash!!

Well it's all about the digital branding these days. That's the priority.

BrianDromey

Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:43 pm

OA260 wrote:
Historically these minimum stays of a Saturday night or 7 days were to stop corporate clients availing of these low yield fares forcing them to go for higher ones if they just wanted one or two nights. With the loss of a lot of this business I guess that any corporate Y flyers they can get they don't want them on these ultra low leisure fares. Still it remains to be seen if this is the reason this time around or if they really save that much by discouraging others who would have booked a short midweek break had the rule not been in place. Although according to Aer Lingus they say the next few days are full or heavily booked the periods outside of the current rush and holiday dates will be harder to fill. It will be interesting to see if that rule gets dropped in the next sales.

With what airlines call yield management they were pretty early to what would now be called "AI" or machine learning. The airlines were surprisingly good at selling almost every seat they could while still preserving the unit selling price. My guess is their ability to predict demand based on historical booking patterns has been significantly impacted by COVID, the testing requirements and the cost of those tests. Add the habit of governments to introduce knee-jerk restrictions, or threaten restrictions which never happen and things get very difficult. Many people have had a change in their working pattern and might be more flexible with flight times, so the traditional Friday-Sunday, or Sat-Monday weekend break demand/VFR demand probably looks different. There is certainly less business travel and no one can really be sure how that will recover - airlines might be talking a big game about recovery in this sector, understandable given the outside proportion of profit it generates compared to volume.

In times of distress we all revert to what we know. Thats why 80's yield management is back and Ryanair are selling any seat they can't for €9.99.

ClassicLover

Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:54 pm

OA260 wrote:
I do wonder if that will ever be back. Once things like that go as time passes its less of a priority. Its part of the old Aer Lingus model and unless they see a decent revenue gain in providing it the space will be used for other things like duty free which now shows in the Bia brochure for GB flights and select others.

I'm sure at €10 a meal, it's costing them substantially less, so I can't see them losing money on it. I would be gutted if it was gone for good. I'll have to get my pudding fix elsewhere!

I saw the sale... not bad, but only for November and December. Hopefully it'll hoover up some more passengers during this traditionally low period.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos