Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MLIAA
Topic Author

American Airlines Hub Facilities

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:33 pm

I’ve noticed recently that AA seems to be the laggard when it comes to the passenger experience at its connecting hubs. The terminals at PHL, CLT, ORD, and DFW are old and can be extremely crowded, with CLT having other operational handicaps (Terminal E, gate C2).

Delta has state of the art, clean, modern facilities in DTW, ATL, SLC, LAX, and MSP. United has newer, larger, more modern facilities at EWR, SFO, IAH, DEN, and ORD (except Terminal 2). When comparing AA to these rival facilities, really only Miami, DFW Terminal D, and PHL A West compare to the modern standards of the competition.

It seems like very little is being done to address these shortcomings. T3 at ORD, CLT (other than the eventual demise of E), PHL, and most of DFW seem to be here to stay with minimal changes. Is this going to hurt AA in the long run?

Runway765

Re: American Airlines Hub Facilities

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:40 pm

Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done. DFW and CLT both badly need a complete redesign/rebuild, but that cannot be done at this point without costing a fortune for AA.

AA will benefit from the new global terminal (OGT) at ORD where they'll consolidate all their international and oneworld partner flights, but the main T3 will largely stay the same and will have to be addressed in a future phase.

PHL is landlocked and it is what it is. It seems they are banking on B6 at JFK being an alternative de facto TATL hub for them going forward.

Cubsrule

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:50 pm

It seems to me like this is cherrypicking with an anti-AA agenda (and, as some of my other recent posts should make clear, I'm no AA fan). MSP is not a nice facility, and connecting there can be very unpleasant depending on the gates involved. Concourse B is worse than any regional concourse in the AA system except maybe the B stinger at DFW and it's hard to get to to boot.

The 1980 ATL concourses are nothing special and ATL crowds are legendary.

Over at UA, parts of DEN and almost all of ORD are crowded messes most of the time. Go down to an end of Concourse C during a bank and try to find a seat. Good luck.

I'm not saying that AA's facilities are better than those of the competition by any means, but it seems to me that the Big 3 all have facilities that are better and worse.

IADCA

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:52 pm

MLIAA wrote:
I’ve noticed recently that AA seems to be the laggard when it comes to the passenger experience at its connecting hubs. The terminals at PHL, CLT, ORD, and DFW are old and can be extremely crowded, with CLT having other operational handicaps (Terminal E, gate C2).

Delta has state of the art, clean, modern facilities in DTW, ATL, SLC, LAX, and MSP. United has newer, larger, more modern facilities at EWR, SFO, IAH, DEN, and ORD (except Terminal 2). When comparing AA to these rival facilities, really only Miami, DFW Terminal D, and PHL A West compare to the modern standards of the competition.

It seems like very little is being done to address these shortcomings. T3 at ORD, CLT (other than the eventual demise of E), PHL, and most of DFW seem to be here to stay with minimal changes. Is this going to hurt AA in the long run?

It seems you're omitting a number of facilities that meaningfully impact a lot of people - for example, comparing the UA and AA hubs in the DC area. With the whole main hall about to be behind security and the new regional concourse (which is quite nice), they're getting a vastly improved experience at DCA. That is miles better than IAD C/D already, and it'll soon be light-years better.

As a low-status elite on both UA and AA, I don't see a meaningful difference in hub facilities overall across the networks - possibly because I see too much of IAH's Terminal B banjos and ORD T2, which are...well, not places I'd prefer to spend time. They're on the same human-zoo tier as CLT's E gates.

mga707

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:56 pm

So what is PHX, chopped liver?

Detroit313

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:58 pm

AA has Terminal 8 at JFK which is beautiful. You conveniently forget that.

All of DFW except for C is nice enough and same or better than ATL and the plan is to make C look nicer too in the next few years.

Brand new terminal at DCA.

LAX Termibal 4 much better than the DL mess at T2 and T3 and more improvements in the way.

The only issues are DFW Terminal C and the not convenient international connections at ORD. Both are being addressed.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:59 pm

MLIAA wrote:

Many of AA's hub facilities aren't stellar, but I'd argue neither are DL's. ATL can be dreadful. There's nothing particularly memorable about the JFK experience with DL, and MSP is just ok. DTW is, by contrast, really nice and so is the new SLC facility. AA's challenge at ORD, DFW, and CLT in particular are older facilities (DFW has some newer concourse mixed in with D). MIA is also, not lovely, but again, that's more about what the airport offers to work with. UA has invested in improving EWR, that's true, SFO is a mixed bag, depending on what concourse you're flying out of, same goes for IAH and ORD is just OK, and actually quite dated, in spite of some customer facing solutions at gates to compensate for what are often tight and cramped waiting areas and crowded walkways.

I don't think airport creature comforts for the everyday traveler hits the bottom line of the airline. The airlines have to cater to their top and best customers and generally do that with the lounges. The airports are what they are, in locations where many people fly to and from. The problem is one of US infrastructure and a lack of will to fund such projects with more taxpayer money the way it is done in Europe. That's why US airports are a mixed bag at best.

nc3rd

Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:13 pm

CLT is in the middle of ongoing remodeling. Still a long way to go, but the changes theyve made so far have been nice....Remember all the carpet?

Seat1F

Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:25 pm

I am not a fan of the PM US hubs (PHX/PHL/CLT) and avoid when possible. They and the ORD AA facility are not particularly nice. The AA hubs in MIA and JFK are pretty nice. I agree with the other comments that the DL ATL complex is functional but fairly grim in parts. Whilst I haven't been in at least three years, the UA IAD operation was a complete dump. Unless it has improved hugely since I was there last, I would say UA at IAD is the worst connecting complex in the US. In conclusion, I would say the three legacy carriers all have some good and less than good facilities. I do not see AA as being particularly worse than the others.

Alias1024

Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:44 pm

It’s not all bad for AA. PHX is good. DFW is an efficient connecting facility with the skylink and has a couple nice terminals, and DCA are quite good.

But I’ll pay money to drive the first bulldozer that flattens CLT. Operational nightmare.

Detroit313 wrote:

LAX Termibal 4 much better than the DL mess at T2 and T3 and more improvements in the way.

I’ve never cared for T4. I feel it is too dark and while it’s functional, I’d never say it’s a nice facility. Also, keep in mind that AA also uses T5, which is nice, and the nest, which sucks and is a long ride from the main terminals. The T4-T5 tunnel is creepy and confusing to a lot of passengers.

I agree it’s currently better than the overcrowding at T2, hardstand RJ ops, and TBIT that Delta has. However that is set to change in the not too distant future. The combined T2/3 head house should open in the spring, with all of T3 open by the end of next year. That’s going to be a game changer from a customer experience standpoint.

MLIAA
Topic Author

Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:51 pm

OP here:

1. I’m not biased against AA, actually quite the opposite, hence my username.

2. I did forget about JFK, you’re right. T8 is a bright spot. PHX is fine, no complaints there. DCA is nice and will be even better when the improvements are done. For DCA, local travelers don’t care as much about amenities and how crappy the terminals are, look at LGA the last 30 years.

3. For DFW I’ll admit A has been modernized, but compared to new terminals at IAH and DTW it’s not even close.

4. While DEN is getting dated, at least the concourses are wide enough to avoid a lot of the crowding seen at ORD DFW and especially CLT. Terminal E at CLT is the worst terminal in the country as far as I’m concerned.

I stand by my original post, the nicest connecting hubs in the US all seem to be DL and UA hubs.

JohanTally

Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:12 pm

MLIAA wrote:
OP here:

1. I’m not biased against AA, actually quite the opposite, hence my username.

2. I did forget about JFK, you’re right. T8 is a bright spot. PHX is fine, no complaints there. DCA is nice and will be even better when the improvements are done. For DCA, local travelers don’t care as much about amenities and how crappy the terminals are, look at LGA the last 30 years.

3. For DFW I’ll admit A has been modernized, but compared to new terminals at IAH and DTW it’s not even close.

4. While DEN is getting dated, at least the concourses are wide enough to avoid a lot of the crowding seen at ORD DFW and especially CLT. Terminal E at CLT is the worst terminal in the country as far as I’m concerned.

I stand by my original post, the nicest connecting hubs in the US all seem to be DL and UA hubs.

I second that about terminal E at CLT it is totally decrepit. The men's restrooms might as well have a trough from a Nascar race and they still have dingy carpet everywhere. Outside gate walkways have been covered with scaffolding for almost a decade. 300 departures a day from that concourse and maybe two or three restaurants open to accommodate 15k passengers.

Runway765

Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:20 pm

nc3rd wrote:
CLT is in the middle of ongoing remodeling. Still a long way to go, but the changes theyve made so far have been nice....Remember all the carpet?

Operationally, it's a nightmare. Still extremely narrow corridors and way too many flights for them. They needed to reconfigure CLT to be like ATL and yet, chose the corner cutting way anyway.

seatback

Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:18 pm

Detroit313 wrote:

All of DFW except for C is nice enough and same or better than ATL and the plan is to make C look nicer too in the next few years.

The only issues are DFW Terminal C and the not convenient international connections at ORD. Both are being addressed.

I'd rather connect in Dallas over ATL any day. That place is a mess. Same goes for ORD. I personally think AA's facilities are as nice as UA's dated 80's terminal. I do however wish AA would implode CLT and start over. Awful. PHL isn't far behind.

In all, AA has as good if not better facilities than UA for sure, and DL to an extent.

Runway765

Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:19 pm

seatback wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

I'd rather connect in Dallas over ATL any day. That place is a mess. Same goes for ORD. I personally think AA's facilities are as nice as UA's dated 80's terminal. I do however wish AA would implode CLT and start over. Awful. PHL isn't far behind.

In all, AA has as good if not better facilities than UA for sure, and DL to an extent.

IMO, The midfield concourses at ATL are way more efficient than the semicircular horseshoe designs of DFW, even with the Skylink.

ORD is going to evolve into a modern, ATL-like midfield layout over time.

Agree 100,000% about CLT.

BB78710

Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:40 pm

Unless the OP exclusively flies only on American I don’t think the problem is exclusive to American Airlines hubs only. There is a lot of old infrastructure in the US including many of our airports and not a lot is being done to address it. Airlines like American can’t tackle these problems on their own they need help and financial assistance from both local and federal governments to fully address the issues.

chonetsao

Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:02 pm

As an international flyer, I avoid CLT as much as possible. I found the arrival experience in CLT is the worst among all US ports of entry. In the contrary, RDU in the same state is actually the best! Can not understand why this could be the case since both airports are in the same state. The second worst is Miami but it is improving.

Terminal environment wise, I think ORD is adequate. JFK is beautiful. LAX is functional and can not wait for AA to finish the planned refurbishment for the Olympics. DFW can be better and I believe investments will be made after LAX and JFK. MIA is nice enough but many corners can be improved. ORD is ok and we all know it is on its last leg and we know a new terminal is planned.

Yes, CLT is not loved by me neither.

However, I think PHX is worse. Running from one end of concourse to another end of the concourse to catch a tight connecting flight due to late arrival is a nightmare.

DCA is very nice. I second that too. In fact I enjoy transit in DCA and RDU when flights are available.

Let us not forget LGA will be very nice too soon. After the planned LAX refurb and ORD rebuild, PHL and CLT unfortunately will be left behind again. But both hubs are extremely cheap to operate according to AA. So here we go. We will have to pay somehow if both airports gets totally redone.

Boof02671

Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:24 pm

chonetsao wrote:
As an international flyer, I avoid CLT as much as possible. I found the arrival experience in CLT is the worst among all US ports of entry. In the contrary, RDU in the same state is actually the best! Can not understand why this could be the case since both airports are in the same state. The second worst is Miami but it is improving.

Terminal environment wise, I think ORD is adequate. JFK is beautiful. LAX is functional and can not wait for AA to finish the planned refurbishment for the Olympics. DFW can be better and I believe investments will be made after LAX and JFK. MIA is nice enough but many corners can be improved. ORD is ok and we all know it is on its last leg and we know a new terminal is planned.

However, I think PHX is worse. Running from one end of concourse to another end of the concourse to catch a tight connecting flight due to late arrival is a nightmare.

DCA is very nice. I second that too. In fact I enjoy transit in DCA and RDU when flights are available.

Let us not forget LGA will be very nice too soon. After the planned LAX refurb and ORD rebuild, PHL and CLT unfortunately will be left behind again. But both hubs are extremely cheap to operate according to AA. So here we go. We will have to pay somehow if both airports gets totally redone.

You can’t compare RDU to CLT. RDU is way smaller and has only a handful of International flights which LHR and CDG aren’t even operating.

Boof02671

Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:25 pm

And many of you seem to forget the Airports are in charge of the faculties. Not the airlines. And most airports weren’t designed nor built to handle the amount of flights they weren’t designed for.

TWFlyGuy

Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:45 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
And many of you seem to forget the Airports are in charge of the faculties. Not the airlines. And most airports weren’t designed nor built to handle the amount of flights they weren’t designed for.

Not entirely true. In CLT for example, the airlines had to agree to the fees they pay that are funding the improvements. So, it's a back and forth. I'm a bit surprised AA didn't push for E to be re-done before adding the new A gates but they also got additional gates on A as a result. In CLT, there are ~2.5MM people so maintaining low costs as an airport is a must as there is only one smaller city (SLC) with a hub. Yes, CLT is growing but won't be the 6MM population ATL & DFW have anytime soon.

Kansas City had a similar issue. WN fought the airports plans for a long time until they finally came to an agreement, mainly based on the reality that the increasing costs of the current facilities we're soon going to outweigh the costs of new facilities. And that took years to agree to.

Airports can't just issue bonds willy nilly. Like cities, they have to show those who will rate and buy the bonds, they have revenues to support the bond. Airlines sign agreements with airports which are the "guarantee" of the future revenues to fund the bonds. And they can't intermingle with city funds or funding sources. I do wonder if the W1W project in STL some years ago but after TW/AA scales back significantly, is hurting their cost structure.

Vctony

Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:36 pm

mga707 wrote:
So what is PHX, chopped liver?

PHX isn't particularly great. The concourses are narrow and there isn't a lot of seating. The gate hold rooms were designed for 737-200s/300s with generally a maximum size of an A320 from the HP days. With the higher capacity A321s and 737-800s doing a large number of flights the massive amount of people through the gate areas during the banks overwhelms the facility. WN has a similar issue with their gate areas at PHX but WN also has the newest concourse at T4 (and will have an even newer one designed during the current area with more space in the gate hold area).

chonetsao

Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:55 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
You can’t compare RDU to CLT. RDU is way smaller and has only a handful of International flights which LHR and CDG aren’t even operating.

You make it sound CLT has a lot more international arrivals. Have you checked international arrivals in CLT last 3-5 years? CLT is bigger but is not that much bigger since most transatlantic moves to PHL for a while. Also I was talking about when CLT had 2 London flight and arrive with the first flight without people waiting at all. I certainly have not mentioned crowdedness or size of it.

When you say we can't compare these two airports because of the size, so my question for you is have you actually used the two airports for international arrival at all? I have used both airports several times, and in CLT I have always used the first London flight arrival which is the first flight in the afternoon from Europe. I would prefer RDU any time even if RDU has same numbers of flights.

First of CLT's arrival is in an enclosed old torn room under departures. There is no natural light. Whereas RDU is above departures and roomy, modern and welcoming.
Second is the personnel, CLT's CBP officers are not very nice but RDU every single time is welcoming and friendly.

You really have to experience it first hand to understand. Again when I compare CLT and RDU, size or number of flights makes no difference at all. You assume I compare with them on the basis of queueing due to several flights arrive in the same time, that is wrong.

Boof02671

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:27 pm

chonetsao wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

You make it sound CLT has a lot more international arrivals. Have you checked international arrivals in CLT last 3-5 years? CLT is bigger but is not that much bigger since most transatlantic moves to PHL for a while. Also I was talking about when CLT had 2 London flight and arrive with the first flight without people waiting at all. I certainly have not mentioned crowdedness or size of it.

When you say we can't compare these two airports because of the size, so my question for you is have you actually used the two airports for international arrival at all? I have used both airports several times, and in CLT I have always used the first London flight arrival which is the first flight in the afternoon from Europe. I would prefer RDU any time even if RDU has same numbers of flights.

First of CLT's arrival is in an enclosed old torn room under departures. There is no natural light. Whereas RDU is above departures and roomy, modern and welcoming.
Second is the personnel, CLT's CBP officers are not very nice but RDU every single time is welcoming and friendly.

You really have to experience it first hand to understand. Again when I compare CLT and RDU, size or number of flights makes no difference at all. You assume I compare with them on the basis of queueing due to several flights arrive in the same time, that is wrong.

I worked international maintenance

CLT had/has LHR, FRA, CDG, MUC, CUN, CZM, STT, STX,NAS, FCO, DUB, BCN, AUA,MBJ, SXM, MEX, HAV, and probably a few other islands I’ve forgotten.

And RDU had/has LHR, CDG and CUN. A lot less than CLT.

Some stopped pre Covid and others stopped during Covid.

And the airlines are not responsible for CBP employees and their behavior.
Last edited by Boof02671 on Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JohanTally

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:28 pm

chonetsao wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Prior to the pandemic CLT year round had a substantial Caribbean network which is thousands of passengers daily as well as

2 LHR
2 MUC
1 FRA

Then in the summer add(obviously some flights haven't or won't return for S22)

1 BCN
1 MAD
1 DUB
1 CDG
1 FCO

What is the maximum number of FIS flights at RDU per day? On some days CLT probably has nearly 50.

Boof02671

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:30 pm

JohanTally wrote:
chonetsao wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Prior to the pandemic CLT year round had a substantial Caribbean network which is thousands of passengers daily as well as

2 LHR
2 MUC
1 FRA

Then in the summer add(obviously some flights haven't or won't return for S22)

1 BCN
1 MAD
1 DUB
1 CDG
1 FCO

What is the maximum number of FIS flights at RDU per day? On some days CLT probably has nearly 50.

Thanks I appreciate your post.

I believe RDU only has LHR, CDG and CUN.

USAirALB

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:54 pm

Frankly, every carrier has good facilities and poor facilities. C/D at IAD for United is a dump but rarely crowded so I suppose its workable. ATL is a dump; a crowded dump, that is. DTW is very nice. MSP is fine. AA's T8 at JFK is very nice. UA's renovations at LAX were nice and the facility looks much better now. I like UA's SFO Gates-even the older F Gates which exude this 1980s charm.

CLT has seen extensive renovations on the A/B/C Concourses to the point where they feel like they are a new building (it's amazing what glossy terrazzo flooring + ceiling tiles will do combined with LED lighting) but alas, the project was simply lipstick on a pig as its still the same structure from the 1980s that was designed to serve PI's 737s and 727s. It was fine I suppose during the US days when most flights were on 733s/734s/A319s, but the vast majority of mainline flights out of CLT are on A321s and 738s, which the hold rooms simply cannot handle. It is nearly impossible to walk in a straight line up/down the concourses during peak periods as boarding lines are literally spilling onto the walkway.

I agree that the E Concourse is trash. While it was extremely state of the art when opened almost 20 years ago, again, the facility simply wasn't designed for CR9s...it was simply designed for CR2s and DH8s. The bathrooms on the concourse are nasty...think soap dispensers torn off the wall and graffiti in the bathroom stalls. The concourse should become much better within the next few years when they give E the same treatment A/C/B have gotten.

I think D at CLT is quite nice, and I have never had a problem with FIS there nor did I ever find the CBP agents rude. Even if they were rude, that is something that is outside of AA's control. The long-range plan is to widen Concourse C and construct a sterile walkway above the widened portion that will connect to FIS, giving CLT an additional set of international gates.

bigb

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:55 pm

chonetsao wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Yeah Negative on that sir, I know for fact CLT sees more international services over RDU. CLT you saw LHR, MUC, MAD, BCN, MAD, DUB, FRA, a ton of Caribbean, Mexico, and Bahamas international flights….. RDU only has a fraction of it. Of course RDU will be a nicer experience with a lesser amount of flights.

By all means, I am not here to defend CLT as a hub as I operated out of there for 3 years and never been a fan of the operation there.

ContinentalEWR

Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:02 am

chonetsao wrote:

You can't compare CLT to RDU. CLT is a huge hub (the second largest behind DFW for AA). RDU handles a very small number of international arrivals when fully scheduled, with long haul limited to LHR and CDG.

Wingtips56

Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:04 am

The problem that AA and really every hub carrier has is that the terminals are in full use, so short of building new from the ground up in an open piece of real estate, existing terminals need to be upgraded. Or torn down and replaced on site. Difficulty is there is no place to relocate flights during remodeling to free up the construction site, so it's the total pain in the ass we all know, trying to move through a terminal while it's under endless slow demo and reconstruction.
That, and there is the money thing ..... Some airports are government owned but are only self-sustaining. Funding for upgrades only comes from the airport's own income, ala tenant fees. So either way, the airlines pay for it.

Wingtips56

Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:09 am

I agree with BoeingGuy. Arrivals/customs at DFW has always been the easiest for me by far.

USAirALB

Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:21 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
I agree with BoeingGuy. Arrivals/customs at DFW has always been the easiest for me by far.

I believe DFW (MIA is also another?) is also one of the few airports in the US to allow ITI baggage transfers in that inbound international passengers connecting onward to another international flight do not have claim their bags at CBP and their bags are automatically transferred to their next flight.

DFW Terminal D also has a sterile international transit lounge located in the center of the mezzanine walkways connecting the individual gates to passport control. It's obviously not in use (I suspect that it was built to future proof the terminal?) because of current CBP regulations but I think its the only terminal in the US still to have such a facility intact, which would be to AA's benefit in the very unlikely event that CBP regs change.

747fan

Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:03 am

RE: DFW, others have already mentioned how nice Terminal D is, particularly the international arrivals process. I'll also add that the recently opened D1-D4 extension is very nice, but it is a LONG walk from the Skylink station.
Terminal A and B are also quite nice since both were TRIP'd within the last 5-7 years or so, with good restaurant and retail options as well. Even C has greatly improved recently in terms of restaurant options.
The main part of Terminal B is probably one of the better RJ terminals in the US. However the B31-B39 stinger is the opposite, and despite it being less than 10 years old, is IMO one of the most unpleasant parts in the AA hub system. The facility was designed for E145/CR2 use but is now used by mostly Mesa CR9's, so it turns into a big sea of humanity during any bank of flights; Mesa's constant delays, etc just make it that much worse. Plus, there's only one set of tiny restrooms out there that are always nasty. Despite the long walk to get there and lowish ceilings/more dated appearance, the E satellite facility is much more pleasant to use than these awful gates.

alo2yyz

Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:44 pm

Americans: "Our airports are dumps!"
Canadians: "Our airports are too nice!"

Be careful what you wish for y'all, or you'll end up with $30 AIFs....

SRQLOT

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:02 pm

I prefer to connect at DFW, but other then D I think the rest is a dark dreary place. Some of the gate areas feel like concrete prison cells, can’t see any apron or runways.
CLT has nothing special about it and last time I connected there the ceilings were ripped apart.
ORD and maybe it’s a nostalgia for me, but even though it’s dark and old, T3 has a cozy feel and so many views. Immigration though has a lot to be desired.
TPA F although nice looking didn’t have many good views and crowded.

SurfandSnow

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:26 pm

Lest we not forget how far AA has come in recent years with respect to its hub facilities! Bad as some may be today, we cannot forget how bad MIA used to be - before the advent of state-of-the-art Concourse D that we take for granted today. The advent of Terminal D and the Skylink train (linking all terminals airside) drastically improved the DFW experience. JFK Terminal 8 is said to be one of the best facilities at JFK (I have never flown from it, so I honestly have no idea if this is true or not). At LAX, American Airlines abandoned real estate in Terminal 6 and, I believe, the Eagle's Nest as well. An airside connector between Terminal 4 and world class TBIT was constructed as well. LGA operations were spread across 4 disparate concourses after the AA/US merger - none of which were linked airside. Soon, the airline will operate exclusively from brand new terminal facilities. DCA recently replaced an infamous Gate 35X regional jet operation with a beautiful new concourse. ORD should be getting much needed terminal improvements soon.

AA has come a long way.. but still has a ways to go, of course! Surely the hub facilities acquired by US at CLT, PHL and PHX could be improved. A lot of the focus up until now has been on major international gateways and cornerstone hubs, of course. You even have to wonder if places like BOS and SEA could be in the running for terminal improvements and corporate investments given their strategic importance. Could a dump like PHL be neglected and left to wither away (like BNA, RDU, SJC and/or STL) whilst BOS gets the makeover?

AmericanAir88

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:40 pm

MLIAA wrote:

Terminal 8 at JFK and Terminal B at LGA are both excellent. As a frequent AA flyer, I find that AA's hubs aren't that bad to me (except for E gates at CLT and G gates at ORD).

CLT is outdated and a mess (besides that cool walkway after security and the D gates), DFW is undergoing some renovation but it still cramped, and ORD has its positives and negatives. I actually like parts of ORD, the K/H part that is and main walkway. ORD does need a renovation and I believe there is one proposed. I am surprised you did not mention PHX as I find that to get very cramped.

However, I do agree with you that UA definitely has a better hub experience. There are also some cracks in the other airline's hubs. MSP has the A-C gates and ORD has Terminal 2 as you mentioned.

You excluded the NYC hubs, the brand new DCA, and LAX. All of which have been invested in by AA (besides LGA thats Port Authority) to improve the terminal.
Last edited by AmericanAir88 on Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmericanAir88

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:44 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
MLIAA wrote:

Many of AA's hub facilities aren't stellar, but I'd argue neither are DL's. ATL can be dreadful. There's nothing particularly memorable about the JFK experience with DL, and MSP is just ok. DTW is, by contrast, really nice and so is the new SLC facility. AA's challenge at ORD, DFW, and CLT in particular are older facilities (DFW has some newer concourse mixed in with D). MIA is also, not lovely, but again, that's more about what the airport offers to work with. UA has invested in improving EWR, that's true, SFO is a mixed bag, depending on what concourse you're flying out of, same goes for IAH and ORD is just OK, and actually quite dated, in spite of some customer facing solutions at gates to compensate for what are often tight and cramped waiting areas and crowded walkways.

I don't think airport creature comforts for the everyday traveler hits the bottom line of the airline. The airlines have to cater to their top and best customers and generally do that with the lounges. The airports are what they are, in locations where many people fly to and from. The problem is one of US infrastructure and a lack of will to fund such projects with more taxpayer money the way it is done in Europe. That's why US airports are a mixed bag at best.

The airside of JFK's T4 for DL is awful if you are not in the mood to walk a mile. Plus it can get very cramped. Ive seen people get trampled.

ContinentalEWR

Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:49 am

AmericanAir88 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
MLIAA wrote:

The airside of JFK's T4 for DL is awful if you are not in the mood to walk a mile. Plus it can get very cramped. Ive seen people get trampled.

Agreed. T4 is generally unpleasant and it can get very crowded, particularly in the evenings. It is better than T1, but that's where it ends. T4 is far from a world class facility for Delta or the other carriers that use it.

dstblj52

Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:03 am

USAirALB wrote:
Frankly, every carrier has good facilities and poor facilities. C/D at IAD for United is a dump but rarely crowded so I suppose its workable. ATL is a dump; a crowded dump, that is. DTW is very nice. MSP is fine. AA's T8 at JFK is very nice. UA's renovations at LAX were nice and the facility looks much better now. I like UA's SFO Gates-even the older F Gates which exude this 1980s charm.

CLT has seen extensive renovations on the A/B/C Concourses to the point where they feel like they are a new building (it's amazing what glossy terrazzo flooring + ceiling tiles will do combined with LED lighting) but alas, the project was simply lipstick on a pig as its still the same structure from the 1980s that was designed to serve PI's 737s and 727s. It was fine I suppose during the US days when most flights were on 733s/734s/A319s, but the vast majority of mainline flights out of CLT are on A321s and 738s, which the hold rooms simply cannot handle. It is nearly impossible to walk in a straight line up/down the concourses during peak periods as boarding lines are literally spilling onto the walkway.

I agree that the E Concourse is trash. While it was extremely state of the art when opened almost 20 years ago, again, the facility simply wasn't designed for CR9s...it was simply designed for CR2s and DH8s. The bathrooms on the concourse are nasty...think soap dispensers torn off the wall and graffiti in the bathroom stalls. The concourse should become much better within the next few years when they give E the same treatment A/C/B have gotten.

I think D at CLT is quite nice, and I have never had a problem with FIS there nor did I ever find the CBP agents rude. Even if they were rude, that is something that is outside of AA's control. The long-range plan is to widen Concourse C and construct a sterile walkway above the widened portion that will connect to FIS, giving CLT an additional set of international gates.

atlanta isnt great but you can get from anywhere to anywhere their in 30 minutes which makes up for a lot of other issues

ualcsr

Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:50 am

I don't remember which terminal or which specific club, but I remember flying MUC-CLT in late 2019 and the Admirals Club I visited in CLT was bar none, the worst airport lounge I'd ever been to in the US. For one thing, it was the size of my living room and overly crowded with no place to sit. Food choices were limited to some cheese and nuts. It was absolutely awful.

mhkansan

Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:09 am

I personally find the ORD facilities excellent to connect at. The walks appear long at first, but really you can get from most gates to any other T3 gate in about 15 minutes -not even hustling. I think the worst part about O'Hare is connecting to / from Terminal 5 arrivals. I connected AA - QR in 2019 and found the post-security bus shuttle just fine, but that is not operating any longer. With the OMP Terminal 2 replacement happening soon, this will all be resolved, but I don't think the AA - ORD experience is all that bad.

I think the biggest challenge for AA @ DFW is that the footprint has just gotten immense. AA has ops in every terminal and so needs to duplicate ticketing / baggage service / staffing / etc at each terminal. Furthermore for a customer connecting from the E satellite to D1-5 or the B stinger it really can take 20 minutes to move your but around the Texas-sized monstrosity. Luckily MCT's at DFW are longer for flights at E-satellite, but that's not a great solution either. When the ExpressJet flights first started using the former US airways gates in E, there was a major problem getting connecting bags over there but that seems to have been ironed out now, for the most part. DFW relies on a big system of HOT bag runners for the most part, which is inefficient.

I agree that DFW & CLT need big structural change a la ORD, but I doubt there will be an easy vision and payee who will make that happen.

YoungDon

Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:12 am

I have to say, I passed through SLC for the first time in a LONG time yesterday and their new terminal is absolutely outstanding. It's just impeccably designed and user-friendly - add to that the ease of using the airport (I actually left and had lunch in downtown SLC with a friend before going back) and I think it's probably taken over from my beloved DTW as my favorite US hub. Security is well designed and efficient. I think the only minor quibble I have is that the fact that you have to go through baggage claim to access security is - weird. Not particularly bad or inconvenient, just weird.

As far as AA goes I do think overall they have the worst facilities of the big 3, but United's are only slightly better. CLT isn't that great. ORD and PHL are OK, but nothing special. DFW is good as O/D but falls into the OK bucket as well overall. DCA is pretty nice. I personally hate MIA because everywhere seems to be mile away from everywhere else (and the staff, but that's another story). The facilities themselves aren't bad though. I haven't gone to JFK in a while so no comment there.

United - IAH, SFO and ORD are pretty nice (though as an O/D pax I don't love IAH), EWR and DEN are meh. IAD is awful though and drags United down by itself.

For Delta, all their hubs are pretty nice. I don't like going through ATL simply because it's a madhouse, but it's not a bad airport. MSP is OK. I haven't used them in SEA but I believe the situation isn't great there IIRC.

dstblj52

Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:23 am

YoungDon wrote:
I have to say, I passed through SLC for the first time in a LONG time yesterday and their new terminal is absolutely outstanding. It's just impeccably designed and user-friendly - add to that the ease of using the airport (I actually left and had lunch in downtown SLC with a friend before going back) and I think it's probably taken over from my beloved DTW as my favorite US hub. Security is well designed and efficient. I think the only minor quibble I have is that the fact that you have to go through baggage claim to access security is - weird. Not particularly bad or inconvenient, just weird.

As far as AA goes I do think overall they have the worst facilities of the big 3, but United's are only slightly better. CLT isn't that great. ORD and PHL are OK, but nothing special. DFW is good as O/D but falls into the OK bucket as well overall. DCA is pretty nice. I personally hate MIA because everywhere seems to be mile away from everywhere else (and the staff, but that's another story). The facilities themselves aren't bad though. I haven't gone to JFK in a while so no comment there.

United - IAH, SFO and ORD are pretty nice (though as an O/D pax I don't love IAH), EWR and DEN are meh. IAD is awful though and drags United down by itself.

For Delta, all their hubs are pretty nice. I don't like going through ATL simply because it's a madhouse, but it's not a bad airport. MSP is OK. I haven't used them in SEA but I believe the situation isn't great there IIRC.

atlanta has its upside i book tighter connections their then anywhere cause if i miss it their is another flight in an hour

sagechan

Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:33 am

AA has a mix of good and bad facilities for passengers as well stated above. AA does have osprstional issues at serveral hubs due to poor design by modern standards, but none of that is worth the costs of rebuilds. CLT has some improvements in the pipeline, potentially a midfield concourse to replace E long ways away. Good news is E30s should finish building out soon eliminating the scaffolded outdoor walkways.

JohanTally

Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:08 am

sagechan wrote:
AA has a mix of good and bad facilities for passengers as well stated above. AA does have osprstional issues at serveral hubs due to poor design by modern standards, but none of that is worth the costs of rebuilds. CLT has some improvements in the pipeline, potentially a midfield concourse to replace E long ways away. Good news is E30s should finish building out soon eliminating the scaffolded outdoor walkways.

Unfortunately that construction on E concourse won't have jetways for years to come. It's a cost saving measure as well as delaying further expansion on A concourse to the north. I've seen the plans for a midfield regional concourse but it's at least a decade away if ever. The big improvement that will be visible in the next few years is the ticketing and baggage claim area.

sagechan

Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:22 am

JohanTally wrote:
sagechan wrote:

Unfortunately that construction on E concourse won't have jetways for years to come. It's a cost saving measure as well as delaying further expansion on A concourse to the north. I've seen the plans for a midfield regional concourse but it's at least a decade away if ever. The big improvement that will be visible in the next few years is the ticketing and baggage claim area.

Yeah midfield is probably mid 2030s at earliest. But the E project is supposed to have jetbridges as they want to move the full 175 operation to E.

Rss719

Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:21 pm

I fly to and from secondary markets in the northeast, south and midwest and get to enjoy CJR land almost every time. For AA, I will take PHL and ORD over CLT any time. Using the big 3 I don't find AA's hubs any better or worse than the rest for those of us who rarely get on anything bigger than 90 seats. My next trip will be via ORD, could have transited DTW, CLT, IAD or ATL. DTW C gates are dreadful, CLT E has all the charm of a bus station, IAD is a nicer bus station and ATL is way out of the way and always a bit of a circus. AA for regionals isn't bad in my experience. Wish AA would bring back ABE and AVP to PHL flights, overall PHL isn't all that great but connecting in F is nice.

CIDFlyer

Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:53 pm

I feel like DFW is pretty nice except C is outdated the other terminals are fine. I must be the only one who likes CLT.
A B and C are nice after the remodel, love the atrium too. Yeah E is outdated and cramped but it’s going to get a makeover too like the other concourses did.

TVNWZ

Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:41 pm

I have never ever chosen a flight based on how “nice” the airports are.

dfwfanboy

Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:30 pm

I don't really get the love for SLC from the original poster. It's a beautiful terminal but a horrible connecting experience. If i wanted to get a mile walk in, I'd go to my gym, not the airport. Not to mention every decent food option at the new terminal is horribly overcrowded every time I've been. But again, beautiful terminal...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos