Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
crownvic
Topic Author
Posts: 2948
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

The End for Kenya’s Classic Airliners? Kenya auctioning derelict planes.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:08 pm

https://simpleflying.com/kenya-abandone ... ple+Flying

Not sure if the above link will work, but it appears the Kenyan government wants to clean up their airports that are littered with some real classics including a 707, DC-6, DC-8, DC-9s, a Tristar, Fokkers and tons of Russian stuff amongst others...The article includes all the reg #'s and the selling prices, but the chances of these planes actually flying out are slim to none and whether a scrapper would want to deal with it or not, is another story. Prices are cheap, so grab that classic while you can :)
 
debonair
Posts: 4394
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: The End for Keny's Classic Airliners?

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:30 pm

I am quite surprised to find airliners in the list of companies still exisiting, like Fly540 or East African.
 
User avatar
CV990A
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 1999 6:04 am

Re: The End for Keny's Classic Airliners?

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:42 pm

Some intriguing options there.

Still think the CRJ is overpriced at $61 though.
 
petertenthije
Posts: 4394
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: The End for Keny's Classic Airliners?

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:57 pm

I wonder how they came up with the prices, my guess is a dart board was involved?

A Fokker F27 will go for the same price as a F50.
A CRJ will go for the same price as a F28.
The most expensive planes are all small Beech and Cessna props! (presumably the only ones still airworthy?)

If you don't remove the aircraft within two weeks, the plane is forfeited. Just for the bragging rights, you could buy that 67$ CRJ 5Y-CCL. Throw in 14 days of 90$ storage fees, and you'd forever be able to claim you owned a jetliner at a price of 1307$!
 
bennett123
Posts: 10929
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: The End for Keny's Classic Airliners?

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:00 am

The B707 was DBR in 2009, since then it is likely that no maintenance has been done.

Given that this is not Mojave, I suspect that it is only the 'rust' holding it together.
 
kaitak
Posts: 10128
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Kenya auctioning derelict aircraft

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:18 am

The Kenyan authorities are to auction off over 70 aircraft that have been derelict at its major airport (principally NBO, MBA and Nairobi-Wilson) for several years; most, if they get any bids at all, will probably be sold for scrap. They seem to be on sale for around $3-4k (Kenyan equivalent).

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/109246

One that caught my eye was J5-GGU, a 707, which has "rested" at MBA since October 2009, after its right MLG collapsed while taxying in (after the aircraft had contacted landing lights on arrival). The aircraft was a 707-321C, operated by Safari Airlines and had started its career as N462PA with Pan Am, spending ten years with PA before going to Korean Airlines in 1977 ... and another nine airlines before winding up with Safari Air.

https://www.planelogger.com/Aircraft/Re ... GGU/492003

Yours for less than $2,500!
 
DartHerald
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:08 pm

Re: Kenya auctioning derelict aircraft

Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:01 am

If I read the sae terms correctly any buyer must remove their purchase within 14 days or it will be forfeited! That is hardly going to be feasible for the majority of these wrecks. I'd be a surprised if there were any bids for most of them.
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Posts: 1868
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: The End for Kenya’s Classic Airliners? Kenya auctioning derelict planes.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:01 pm

Those Dc9 weren't supposed to go to a Finnish museum ?
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... this-month
 
crownvic
Topic Author
Posts: 2948
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: The End for Kenya’s Classic Airliners? Kenya auctioning derelict planes.

Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:57 am

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitle ... 6A/1443954

This image in the database showed a really nice looking DC-6 from 2008. There is another ex-USAF DC-6 there as well. All appear to still have their engines in more recent aerial images. What a shame that the engines cannot be salvaged for for what remains of the few R-2800s still in use.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 20322
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Kenya auctioning derelict aircraft

Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:23 am

kaitak wrote:
The Kenyan authorities are to auction off over 70 aircraft that have been derelict at its major airport (principally NBO, MBA and Nairobi-Wilson) for several years; most, if they get any bids at all, will probably be sold for scrap. They seem to be on sale for around $3-4k (Kenyan equivalent).

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/109246

One that caught my eye was J5-GGU, a 707, which has "rested" at MBA since October 2009, after its right MLG collapsed while taxying in (after the aircraft had contacted landing lights on arrival). The aircraft was a 707-321C, operated by Safari Airlines and had started its career as N462PA with Pan Am, spending ten years with PA before going to Korean Airlines in 1977 ... and another nine airlines before winding up with Safari Air.

https://www.planelogger.com/Aircraft/Re ... GGU/492003

Yours for less than $2,500!


That plane has some history! I saw it operating for PanAm at Heathrow in 1974, then saw it multiple times at Sharjah operating for Johnsons Air
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4272
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The End for Kenya’s Classic Airliners? Kenya auctioning derelict planes.

Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:45 am

Wow, thanks for starting this thread, I am a huge fans of derelicts (… maybe I am just too stupid to take photos of living aircraft :boggled: …). I checked our database but was surprised that I just found some of these classic aircraft:





The next two photos have been taken by our dear member Scrimbl :-)



 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4272
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Kenya auctioning derelict aircraft

Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:52 am

scbriml wrote:
kaitak wrote:
The Kenyan authorities are to auction off over 70 aircraft that have been derelict at its major airport (principally NBO, MBA and Nairobi-Wilson) for several years; most, if they get any bids at all, will probably be sold for scrap. They seem to be on sale for around $3-4k (Kenyan equivalent).

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/109246

One that caught my eye was J5-GGU, a 707, which has "rested" at MBA since October 2009, after its right MLG collapsed while taxying in (after the aircraft had contacted landing lights on arrival). The aircraft was a 707-321C, operated by Safari Airlines and had started its career as N462PA with Pan Am, spending ten years with PA before going to Korean Airlines in 1977 ... and another nine airlines before winding up with Safari Air.

https://www.planelogger.com/Aircraft/Re ... GGU/492003

Yours for less than $2,500!


That plane has some history! I saw it operating for PanAm at Heathrow in 1974, then saw it multiple times at Sharjah operating for Johnsons Air

So true! I found this picture and was very surprised because I had never seen this livery before. Looks almost like an ex-Arrow Air livery but the blue color doesn’t match…



It was later flying for Thai Flying, maybe the only Thai 707… not 100 % sure though
 
tapairbus370
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Re: The End for Kenya’s Classic Airliners? Kenya auctioning derelict planes.

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:57 am

Could this be an opportunity to get some spares for a good price? I mean, buy the plane and get what is usable, sell the rest to scrapp.
Some of the models there are rare/very rare and this is an opportunity to get that part that is missing in some restoration project.
 
Canuck600
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: The End for Kenya’s Classic Airliners? Kenya auctioning derelict planes.

Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:03 pm

Spares are useless without a paper trail for them.
 
User avatar
keesje
Posts: 14785
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: The End for Kenya’s Classic Airliners? Kenya auctioning derelict planes.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:20 pm

Canuck600 wrote:
Spares are useless without a paper trail for them.


Foreign authorities will be unhappy with this situation.. "Traders" might strip aircraft of valuable parts, organize the paperwork & sell them for a good profit in the next few years. FAA and EASA might make calls and inform local authorities they have responsibilities / accountability if ever problems occur as a result of this auction.
 
F27500
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: The End for Kenya’s Classic Airliners? Kenya auctioning derelict planes.

Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:21 am

You can all keep the Russian ones .. I want just one F27 and L1011 .. for my backyard! LOL
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 1942
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: The End for Kenya’s Classic Airliners? Kenya auctioning derelict planes.

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:28 am

crownvic wrote:
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled-Relief-Air/Douglas-C-118A-Liftmaster-DC-6A/1443954

This image in the database showed a really nice looking DC-6 from 2008. There is another ex-USAF DC-6 there as well. All appear to still have their engines in more recent aerial images. What a shame that the engines cannot be salvaged for for what remains of the few R-2800s still in use.

There are numerous Wasp and Double Wasp engines flying today in all kinds of restored WW2-era aircraft. I can’t recall if it was in the mid/late 90’s that something close to 800 engines of several variants were found in a Texas warehouse, still packed in the original oil, in the original crates they had shipped from the factories in, purchased as war surplus in the 40’s, and had sat there ever since.

These are the engines powering many of the WW2 Warbirds restorations for the last twenty years. With only a few exceptions, almost all of the widely produced variants are based on the same, mass produced core. (The marvels of American manufacturing. Find something that works, and build the hell out of it. Doesn’t have to be the best, just good enough.)
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 1942
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: The End for Keny's Classic Airliners?

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:28 am

bennett123 wrote:
The B707 was DBR in 2009, since then it is likely that no maintenance has been done.

Given that this is not Mojave, I suspect that it is only the 'rust' holding it together.

Mmmm…. Crunchy….

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos