Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

asuflyer
Topic Author

Arajet News and Discussion Thread

Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:24 am

Arajet, a new Dominican ultra low-cost airline formerly known as Dominican Wings has announced plans to acquire 5 737MAX8's and fly to destinations across the Americas from Santo Domingo, starting from the first quarter of 2022. The company has raised approximately $80 million USD and the first 737MAX8 has rolled out of the Renton Factory this week, and they are taking NTU frames originally destined for Ural Airlines. Arajet will be the most credible startup airline from the Dominican Republic and the Caribbean region in many years. The company has experienced leadership with the CEO being one of the Viva Colombia founders.

(Woodys Aeroimages)

The livery draws similarities to the new Caribbean Airlines livery.

Full livery

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... um=twitter
Last edited by SQ22 on Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title updated

Weatherwatcher1

Re: Arajet, a new Dominican airline launching with 5 737MAX8

Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:25 pm

I wish them the best. I’m curious how they will attract customers being based in the Dominican Republic if almost all their passengers are going to be inbound tourists.

Blerg

Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:49 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
I wish them the best. I’m curious how they will attract customers being based in the Dominican Republic if almost all their passengers are going to be inbound tourists.

Well they did say that they plan on being an ULCC so I guess price will be key. Also by being based in the Dominican Republic, their costs will be considerably lower compared to US carriers.

F27500

Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:55 pm

Oh look .. another all-white livery. Isn't that exciting? How they plan on going up against the likes of B6 and AA will be interesting to watch.

ACCS300

Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:32 pm

Livery has an EgyptAir feel to it.

MIflyer12

Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:43 pm

Blerg wrote:
Also by being based in the Dominican Republic, their costs will be considerably lower compared to US carriers.

Only to the extent that a 21C airline can use some faily low-skilled labor (which isn't much). They'll pay world prices for fuel, more for aircraft (as a small start-up), more for parts (ditto) and more for contracted services. FAs and phone reps aren't where carriers spend big money.

They're quickly going to see that $80 million is not a lot of money for a start-up with mainline aircraft in international service to the U.S.

Blerg

Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:36 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Also by being based in the Dominican Republic, their costs will be considerably lower compared to US carriers.

Only to the extent that a 21C airline can use some faily low-skilled labor (which isn't much). They'll pay world prices for fuel, more for aircraft (as a small start-up), more for parts (ditto) and more for contracted services. FAs and phone reps aren't where carriers spend big money.

They're quickly going to see that $80 million is not a lot of money for a start-up with mainline aircraft in international service to the U.S.

Well by that logic no one stands a chance at starting their own airline. I still hope that they will find a way to make it work, seems like that is why they are going the ULCC way, so let's see what happens in the end.

Polot

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:19 pm

Blerg wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Well by that logic no one stands a chance at starting their own airline. I still hope that they will find a way to make it work, seems like that is why they are going the ULCC way, so let's see what happens in the end.

The Dominican Republic (and most Caribbean islands) have a poor track record for successful, profitable airlines. For that you need a strong local market. There is huge demand to the islands, but the traffic heavily skews international (US in this case) POS, where the international (again US in this case) carrier has a heavy advantage.

DKNEF

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:25 pm

ACCS300 wrote:
Livery has an EgyptAir feel to it.

I thought so to!! That was the first thing that came in mind

ScottB

Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:08 pm

asuflyer wrote:
Arajet will be the most credible startup airline from the Dominican Republic and the Caribbean region in many years.

That's really not saying much. There just haven't been credible startup carriers from either the D.R. or the region at all. The only airlines from the region which have had any staying power have largely been government-owned/subsidized.

robleroy121721

Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:34 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

Well, I guess it would also depend on where their base/bases is/are. SDQ is more VFR while PUJ, Samaná are more touristic destinations. POP would be a mix of both.

There's a huge Dominican diaspora in the US, too, ranging all the way from the Northeast to the PNW (I can vouch for this because I personally know a lot of these families). As to whether they'd fly the airline, that's another question in itself.

I suspect some destinations could be: JFK, EWR, MIA, BOS, BDL, MCO, TPA, SJU, among a couple others. Though Idk of SJU can still handle yet another airline on SDQ-SJU :?:

Saying they'd even fly to Texas might definitely be a stretch, even with the local diaspora. But who knows? In the end, we're not totally sure what they're plans are. They can publicize one thing and plan another under the sheets.

crosscheckyyz

Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:33 pm

robleroy121721 wrote:
Well, I guess it would also depend on where their base/bases is/are. SDQ is more VFR while PUJ, Samaná are more touristic destinations. POP would be a mix of both.

Could we see the airline maybe doing SDQ-US/Canada-AZS or PUJ or something of the likes?

Caribbean007

Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:20 pm

robleroy121721 wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

There's a huge Dominican diaspora in the US, too, ranging all the way from the Northeast to the PNW (I can vouch for this because I personally know a lot of these families). As to whether they'd fly the airline, that's another question in itself.

I suspect some destinations could be: JFK, EWR, MIA, BOS, BDL, MCO, TPA, SJU, among a couple others. Though Idk of SJU can still handle yet another airline on SDQ-SJU :?:

Saying they'd even fly to Texas might definitely be a stretch, even with the local diaspora. But who knows? In the end, we're not totally sure what they're plans are. They can publicize one thing and plan another under the sheets.

Last week they asked permit for 30 routes split in Noth, Center and South America. They are planning use SDQ as Hub so they plan to have conecting flights too. Some of the cities are full of Dominicans like BOS, EWR,SJU, they also asked for MIA, TPA, some other will be new like GUA, other not like HAV that actually is not good serve as the only flights we have are using CRJ-200, Aslo asked AUA, SXM, CUR, SJO, MCO, BOG, ORD, MEX, PTY, LIM. PHL, POS, CLO, MDE, YUL, ATL, PTP, PTY, ORD, BWI, IAD and some others in USA. For tomorrow is planned the meetting to aprove the 30 routes asked to fly by Arajet in the Civil Aviation Counsil.

Mike Powell is the CEO interine and Excecutive President of Arajet, he was working with Flybondi and Wi Air, and actually working as Financial director for Pegasus Airlines and Volotea.

SDQ airport in the last report only the 28% of the travelers didnt have a Dominican Passport, and by September 2021 travelers thru SDQ reach arrivals 1,381,932 and departures 1,469,137 tor a total 2,841,069 pax.

Lets see what will come with this project, meanwhile I have ready my backpack ready to go GUA.

Caribbean007

Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:59 pm

crosscheckyyz wrote:
robleroy121721 wrote:

Could we see the airline maybe doing SDQ-US/Canada-AZS or PUJ or something of the likes?

SDQ-YUL is planned and is part of the first 30 routes to be aprove tomorrow.

robleroy121721

Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:51 pm

Caribbean007 wrote:
robleroy121721 wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

Last week they asked permit for 30 routes split in Noth, Center and South America. They are planning use SDQ as Hub so they plan to have conecting flights too. Some of the cities are full of Dominicans like BOS, EWR,SJU, they also asked for MIA, TPA, some other will be new like GUA, other not like HAV that actually is not good serve as the only flights we have are using CRJ-200, Aslo asked AUA, SXM, CUR, SJO, MCO, BOG, ORD, MEX, PTY, LIM. PHL, POS, CLO, MDE, YUL, ATL, PTP, PTY, ORD, BWI, IAD and some others in USA. For tomorrow is planned the meetting to aprove the 30 routes asked to fly by Arajet in the Civil Aviation Counsil.

Mike Powell is the CEO interine and Excecutive President of Arajet, he was working with Flybondi and Wi Air, and actually working as Financial director for Pegasus Airlines and Volotea.

SDQ airport in the last report only the 28% of the travelers didnt have a Dominican Passport, and by September 2021 travelers thru SDQ reach arrivals 1,381,932 and departures 1,469,137 tor a total 2,841,069 pax.

Lets see what will come with this project, meanwhile I have ready my backpack ready to go GUA.

Do you have a link?

It seems that they may by trying to pull off a connecting airline strategy like Copa, Icelandair and Northern Pacific. I don't think SDQ could handle all of those destinations unless they actually filled the flights by connections. Of course, these could all be split between the capital, the east and the north, but a concentrated hub in DR definitely would require the passengers to connect.

On the other hand, SDQ doesn't really have the convenient facilities to connect passengers, so they might just be applying to hold rights but not actually fly all those routes. Kinda like AAL still holds the right to LAX-SJU but they don't fly it.

usxguy

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:41 pm

is Domingo even set up as a transit option/airport? I've only flown OUT of the airport (we stayed in LRM) and honestly I don't remember MUCH about my experience...

Caribbean007

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:30 pm

robleroy121721 wrote:
Caribbean007 wrote:
robleroy121721 wrote:

Do you have a link?

It seems that they may by trying to pull off a connecting airline strategy like Copa, Icelandair and Northern Pacific. I don't think SDQ could handle all of those destinations unless they actually filled the flights by connections. Of course, these could all be split between the capital, the east and the north, but a concentrated hub in DR definitely would require the passengers to connect.

On the other hand, SDQ doesn't really have the convenient facilities to connect passengers, so they might just be applying to hold rights but not actually fly all those routes. Kinda like AAL still holds the right to LAX-SJU but they don't fly it.

You are wrong, SDQ is prepared for conections without passing by migration, All Venezuelan airlines are doing conecting flights to MIA with charters flights from SDQ to MIA. SDQ has 9 gates and 13 remote possitions. Also the airport is not congestionated and has a lot hrs with free gates specially early in the morning and at nights.

This is the link, hope you can speak spanish. http://www.jac.gob.do/index.php/resoluc ... 03-11-2021

The last one pdf file in the bottom of the page Dominican Wings DBA Arajet.

The link

Caribbean007

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:39 pm

usxguy wrote:
is Domingo even set up as a transit option/airport? I've only flown OUT of the airport (we stayed in LRM) and honestly I don't remember MUCH about my experience...

Yes, is ready for connections with corridors and not need to go inmigration for connections. Has 9 gates and 13 remote possitions.

CMA727

Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:54 pm

A well run ULCC airline flying brand new 737-8MAX´s based on a non congested airport (SDQ) that has a US diaspora related demand that can also be turned into some sort of HUB for USA-Caribbean/Central and Northern Southamerican countries traffic, with no real domestic based competitors, in true honesty does not´sound like a too bad idea for me.

robleroy121721

Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:41 am

Caribbean007 wrote:
robleroy121721 wrote:
Caribbean007 wrote:

Do you have a link?

You are wrong, SDQ is prepared for conections without passing by migration, All Venezuelan airlines are doing conecting flights to MIA with charters flights from SDQ to MIA. SDQ has 9 gates and 13 remote possitions. Also the airport is not congestionated and has a lot hrs with free gates specially early in the morning and at nights.

This is the link, hope you can speak spanish. http://www.jac.gob.do/index.php/resoluc ... 03-11-2021

The link

Sadly the link isn't working for me :cry:
My opinion on whether SDQ is ready or not for being a connection hub is based on my own experiences there. I mean, yeah, they could definitely connect flights at the airport but definitely not pull off an operation the size of Copa at PTY or Avianca at BOG.

I think a better comparison would be Caribbean Airlines at POS. And as mentioned on another thread, airlines do apply for lots of routes but don't necessarily fly them. They'll definitely have to play the game and right-size along with the competition. Other airlines definitely have frequent flyers gained in the area and it ain't gonna be easy pulling them away.

caribny

Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:29 am

Polot wrote:
Blerg wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

The Dominican Republic (and most Caribbean islands) have a poor track record for successful, profitable airlines. For that you need a strong local market. There is huge demand to the islands, but the traffic heavily skews international (US in this case) POS, where the international (again US in this case) carrier has a heavy advantage.

The DR has a population of 11 million with over 1 million living in the USA. Do not think that they necessarily need leisure markets for this.

Caribbean007

Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:40 am

robleroy121721 wrote:
Caribbean007 wrote:
robleroy121721 wrote:

Do you have a link?

The link

Sadly the link isn't working for me :cry:
My opinion on whether SDQ is ready or not for being a connection hub is based on my own experiences there. I mean, yeah, they could definitely connect flights at the airport but definitely not pull off an operation the size of Copa at PTY or Avianca at BOG.

I think a better comparison would be Caribbean Airlines at POS. And as mentioned on another thread, airlines do apply for lots of routes but don't necessarily fly them. They'll definitely have to play the game and right-size along with the competition. Other airlines definitely have frequent flyers gained in the area and it ain't gonna be easy pulling them away.

Of Course all 30 routes wont be started at the same time, they will start with the most strong routes wich will he for sure USA ones, my guess for starting are BOS, EWR, MIA, TPA, HAV. and hopefully GUA and POS if not the first sooner. They are starting with 5 airplanes, but reciving first 3 of 5 to start operations. Is Crazy to think they eill start with operation Like Copa or Avianca.

Janj

Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:50 am

robleroy121721 wrote:
Kinda like AAL still holds the right to LAX-SJU but they don't fly it.

That isn't really a thing. Every US airline has the right to start LAX-SJU or any other domestic route.

Caribbean007

Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:15 am

Janj wrote:
robleroy121721 wrote:

That isn't really a thing. Every US airline has the right to start LAX-SJU or any other domestic route.

Now with open skies agreements those things do not count in the case of us we have open skies agreement with USA, any airline from both countries has the same rights to fly into any airport included in the agreement.

BlueBaller

Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:52 pm

caribny wrote:
Polot wrote:
Blerg wrote:

The DR has a population of 11 million with over 1 million living in the USA. Do not think that they necessarily need leisure markets for this.

2* million in the US

robleroy121721

Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:20 pm

Janj wrote:
robleroy121721 wrote:

There are still some routed that are backed up by rights due to the Airmail acts of the 1930's left to the Legacy Carriers (AA, UA, TW, DL). Although most domestic routes are flyable without restrictions, there are only a few remaining that are still kept by rights. That's basic in the Introduction to Aviation class, especially when discussing Walter Folger Brown and the Airmail Act Scandal and reforms.

American inherited the rights from TWA. Before 2001, American had no right to fly the route. Before TWA, Delta had the route.

Dynamic Airways had actually announced LAX-SJU a couple of years back (before COVID was even on the horizon for anybody), but they never got to starting it and I'm assuming it has something to do with acquiring the rights.

So, in the end, some domestic routes are still under the effects of rights.

jjbiv

Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:56 pm

Could you please provide a reference for the assertion that rights are needed for a domestic air carrier to fly a US domestic route? Thank you.

robleroy121721

Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:53 pm

jjbiv wrote:
Could you please provide a reference for the assertion that rights are needed for a domestic air carrier to fly a US domestic route? Thank you.

In all honesty, my point is based on what we're being taught in University. In my case, I already took the class, so I decided to contact a couple of my professors to verify this information. So far, one responded saying that the subject does require deep research (which I can't really do right now due to a detailed, class project on establishing an airline under the 14 CFR 135).

I did inquire with the professor who taught us that. Mind you, English is not her native tongue so she might've said something and I misunderstood it. But as far as we're concerned, some airlines do hold rights to some domestic routes. I'm still waiting on her reply.

A thread back from 2003 did give a link to where one could find this information but it's dead now, unfortunately. It really could have been useful now :lol:

Nevertheless, we can still see some examples on how the government has sway over approving certain routes like SJU-DCA, LGA-SJU, SEA-DCA, all of which are outside of the perimeter rule and some are limited to operate on certain days. Add to that the curfews, slot systems and noise abatement procedures like in SNA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... /80300348/

https://www.nysun.com/editorials/long-d ... rdia/18053

And of course, the KDAL restrictions lifted years ago. As I said, most of the routes are free to operate and only a bare minimum remain, which is why it's so hard to find which routes are specifically under rights. However, if anyone can correct me on this, they're welcome to. I honestly don't know if my former profesor will reply to my e-mail since I'm no longer one of her students. :( :?:

jjbiv

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:16 am

I think I understand your point now. There are some restrictions which apply to specific airports either at the federal level or some grandfathered local restrictions (large around noise issues). These issues of perimeters, slots, etc. is separate from this issue of route authority, which does not apply domestically in the US to domestic air carriers. Good luck in your studies!

Caribbean007

Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:04 pm

According to a recent report, one of the international investor in Arajet is Bain Capital Credit LP, report says this company will be part of the administration of Arajet. Report note that this company has experience being part of administration of Virgin Australia and Apple Leisure Group) AMResorts and Apple Vacations.

https://infoturdominicano.com/rd/bain-c ... na-arajet/

SkyVoice

Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:54 am

I hope that they do well. The fact that they are starting out with new aircraft caught my attention.

MAH4546

Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:10 am

robleroy121721 wrote:
Janj wrote:
robleroy121721 wrote:

There are still some routed that are backed up by rights due to the Airmail acts of the 1930's left to the Legacy Carriers (AA, UA, TW, DL). Although most domestic routes are flyable without restrictions, there are only a few remaining that are still kept by rights. That's basic in the Introduction to Aviation class, especially when discussing Walter Folger Brown and the Airmail Act Scandal and reforms.

American inherited the rights from TWA. Before 2001, American had no right to fly the route. Before TWA, Delta had the route.

Dynamic Airways had actually announced LAX-SJU a couple of years back (before COVID was even on the horizon for anybody), but they never got to starting it and I'm assuming it has something to do with acquiring the rights.

No, this is not correct. There are no domestic airline route rights, and this includes Puerto Rico. All U.S. airlines can fly between any two public U.S. airports. There is only one private airport, Branson Airport, which is allowed to control what airlines can fly what routes.

asuflyer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:21 pm

The first Arajet 737MAX8 was delivered today from BFI to SDQ.

HI2016 at SDQ

https://twitter.com/drplanespotters/sta ... 33/photo/1

drdisque

Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:42 pm

I was a MIA last month and shocked by the number of small airlines running old or wet leased equipment to SDQ and STI. A well-run ULCC could really make a big impact on that market. NYC I think would be a bit more of a challenge.

phatfarmlines

Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:44 am

asuflyer wrote:
The first Arajet 737MAX8 was delivered today from BFI to SDQ.

Egyptair Caribbean :yes:

aa1818

Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:54 pm

Good Luck to AraJet!
Any idea of the first routes planned officially?
MIA, JFK I assume.
Any big business or VFR travel to Central or South American capitals from SDQ?
Cheers,
AA1818

Rajahdhani

Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:08 pm

Bravo, and Suerte!

May I ask, though - since when in Purple (and not complaining, a favourite of mine...) associated with the Caribbean? Between them and BW, they look prone to merge in future, no (similar branding, multi-colored tail with bird as the logo - purple engine nacelles, and purple billboard titles).

Polot

Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:17 pm

Rajahdhani wrote:
Bravo, and Suerte!

May I ask, though - since when in Purple (and not complaining, a favourite of mine...) associated with the Caribbean? Between them and BW, they look prone to merge in future, no (similar branding, multi-colored tail with bird as the logo - purple engine nacelles, and purple billboard titles).

The livery as a whole looks heavily inspired by BW’s new livery.

Rajahdhani

Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:54 pm

Polot wrote:
The livery as a whole looks heavily inspired by BW’s new livery.

I really had to google it. Of greater interest, is that Trinidad is home to an extant Native/AmerIndian/'First People's population of the Arawak tribe/civilization and the marketing is used in Trinidad for a rather large range of products, coincidentally (or not?) the largest chicken/poultry/meat producers in the nation and the region as a whole.

https://www.arawak-tt.com/about-usThe origin of our name is derived from the Arawak Tribe, one of the original inhabitants of the Islands who Christopher Columbus met when he first arrived to our shores in 1498. The Arawak Brand has been synonymous with the supply of the highest quality poultry products for over 50 years, since commencing operations in December 1963. Today, Arawak is the largest producer of broiler chickens not only in Trinidad and Tobago but also in the wider Southern Caribbean Region.

Unsurprisingly, no purple. Surprisingly - a potentially better logo for Arajet than their current. That's enough talk about poultry I guess, and so onto sardines - I wonder what kind of legroom we will be seeing on these aircraft.

A decently equipped MAX-8, could be a MAX-8 200 for the next/top-off or medium term, used aircraft market - but I wonder how it would limit range on the already decently equipped MAX-8. Also, not saying that they don't deserve or probably have great reasons for it - but I wonder if/how taking on the MAX and/or starting now (in the Covid cycle) affected the decision to take on the MAX (when NG/CEOs and even the lease market for other MAX/NEOs is so attractive as well). I get not having to split a pilot certificate/pool, and bravo to them for going as new as they could from the start!

No shame to their game, just a bit of compare/contrast to another LCC (who chose the 737 too, but went for the NG first) in Avelo (wait...a...minute - purple, again?). I'll blame sleep deprivation - I mean, it's not as if the only other major ULCC on the continent that operates the 737, um, (is Swoop's color pink? Magenta? Close Enough?). It's purple madness, all of it...although - a merger (ok, maybe that's the coffee talking - so, maybe water, and a codeshare/interlining agreement) of such an entity would be able to maybe decently tie up the Caribbean and Canada pretty well.

usdcaguy

Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:19 pm

I do really like their livery (though the comparisons to MS are likely to insult MS, which has a way better livery), and the Max 8 should be a great plane for them. I find it surprising that a carrier that has not even started flying is taking delivery of new aircraft, but perhaps having new planes will help them avoid maintenance costs and provide a better experience for passengers. The popularity of the Dominican Republic has grown to such an extent that it seems Arajet could fill their planes with tourists if they were willing to fly to places like PUJ or POP, as there's room for more ULCC service.

caribny

Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:27 pm

Rajahdhani wrote:
Bravo, and Suerte!

Purple in the Caribbean is seen as a "serious" color (funerals maybe). A glance at the majority of the CARICOM flags suggests otherwise. Even the somber T&T flag isnt purple. A turquoise blue might have been a better choice. Anyway now that jetbridges are the norm no one can see livery anyway so they could have left it white with no name and it wouldnt matter. Their website used to be a good deal more "Caribbean" in its color schemes.

DR comes from a different cultural tradition and its history and image are more dominated by its elites.

maverick4002

Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:57 pm

caribny wrote:
Rajahdhani wrote:
Bravo, and Suerte!

Purple in the Caribbean is seen as a "serious" color (funerals maybe). A glance at the majority of the CARICOM flags suggests otherwise. Even the somber T&T flag isnt purple. A turquoise blue might have been a better choice. Anyway now that jetbridges are the norm no one can see livery anyway so they could have left it white with no name and it wouldnt matter. Their website used to be a good deal more "Caribbean" in its color schemes.

DR comes from a different cultural tradition and its history and image are more dominated by its elites.

Can anyone corroborate this purple meaning funerals. You, or another poster has FOR YEARS been dunking on BWs old livery and complaining that purple is synonymous with funerals. I was born and raised in Trinidad, I have been to many a funeral, and I've never associated purple with funerals...that color is BLACK

PVD757

Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:59 pm

Does anyone know the seating capacity and cabin configuration?

Rajahdhani

Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:23 am

Backing to something far less somber - I could see the color associated with Aviation and the Caribbean - in that we do have flora and fauna that do.
The Land of The Hummingbird has enough credibility to own it, and it's a design choice, and their own to make. It does not look bad, but I agree - something in another color would perhaps more easily evoke the mood or images of the Caribbean better. I get that they operate in different markets, however - consider how Air Caraïbes in one market.

It's a choice, and honestly - I think that they did a decent job. Let's see how that branding is continued in uniforms, and other services. White with tight purple accents (and/or stylized feathers if needed for more inspiration) might well work and the DR is certainly not challenged in the department of style and fashion. I do think that the EuroWhite is a decent move as well, as this allows them to add capacity without too harshly damaging that image (and the image of 9Y-JIL and her blue (?) nacelles 'hybrid' scheme came to mind, though so long ago).

fraspotter

Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:16 am

MAH4546 wrote:
robleroy121721 wrote:
Janj wrote:

No, this is not correct. There are no domestic airline route rights, and this includes Puerto Rico. All U.S. airlines can fly between any two public U.S. airports. There is only one private airport, Branson Airport, which is allowed to control what airlines can fly what routes.

Existing perimeter rules (see LGA, DCA) might prevent some routes from being flown but that's not specific to any airline. Otherwise yes. Limiting certain domestic routes to certain airlines died out with deregulation.

danipawa

Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:59 pm

PVD757 wrote:
Does anyone know the seating capacity and cabin configuration?

189 economy

caribny

Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:33 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
caribny wrote:
Rajahdhani wrote:
Bravo, and Suerte!

Can anyone corroborate this purple meaning funerals. You, or another poster has FOR YEARS been dunking on BWs old livery and complaining that purple is synonymous with funerals. I was born and raised in Trinidad, I have been to many a funeral, and I've never associated purple with funerals...that color is BLACK

Explain to me why no Caribbean flag has purple in it. it is NOT a color which expresses the vibrancy which Caribbean culture represents. YOU might like purple but it really isnt what we gravitate to. But no worries. With jet bridges BW can leave the plane white and paint Caribbean Airlines in purple and no one will care because, unlike the days of the Sunjets when BWee had vibrant Caribbean colors (yes the gold, bougainvillea, and tourquoise blue_.

maverick4002

Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:18 am

caribny wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:
caribny wrote:

Explain to me why no Caribbean flag has purple in it. it is NOT a color which expresses the vibrancy which Caribbean culture represents. YOU might like purple but it really isnt what we gravitate to. But no worries. With jet bridges BW can leave the plane white and paint Caribbean Airlines in purple and no one will care because, unlike the days of the Sunjets when BWee had vibrant Caribbean colors (yes the gold, bougainvillea, and tourquoise blue_.

Your comment has always been that purple represents funerals. IT DOES NOT

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:15 am

robleroy121721 wrote:
I suspect some destinations could be: JFK, EWR, MIA, BOS, BDL, MCO, TPA, SJU, among a couple others.

They'd be up against US mainline and LCC airlines on all those destinations who may offer better products and services. At this point, the US LCCs almost are the de facto airlines for a lot of Caribbean islands. Many Dominican airports are served by international carriers so they have no incentive to expand flights into Europe, Canada, and Central America. If the focus is bringing tourists and family to the island, then its product has to be different than what the US carriers provide.

robleroy121721 wrote:
Though Idk of SJU can still handle yet another airline on SDQ-SJU

SDQ-SJU on a 737 is likely overkill. When AA had a hub, it let OW handle the SJU-SDQ segment with ATRs. I don't recall there being any 737/757 flights between both cities (maybe back in the long ago, a 727 might have flown between both cities). B6 normally sends the E190, but I see that an A320 is still sent to SJU, though I wonder if it's just a direct SDQ-XXX pairing, with SJU serving as the stop.

For this airline, I'd be very shocked if they decide to send the Max to SJU and then on to a city already served by other many carriers. Now, get an E175 fleet and I can definitely see SJU service, especially given the many Dominicans settled in the island.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos