Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Royalairlines

Re: Another Canadian ULCC startup - Lynx Air

Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:17 am

Anyone have any updates on how Lynx is doing behind the scenes? It seems like they have successfully positioned themselves as the less chaotic ULCC in Canada. While Flair flails around, rapidly trying and cancelling routes, building up a massive page of complaints on Skytrax, people seem to generally like Lynx? And they seem to be running a small operation and growing slowly? Don't get me wrong, I am extremely grateful to Flair for giving me a third option on YVR-YOW but it seems like Lynx is maybe the tortoise that's winning the race against the hare?

YEGFlyer

Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:20 pm

Only thing I've heard is that loads have been light on a few routes at launch.

IceCream

Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:23 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:
Only thing I've heard is that loads have been light on a few routes at launch.

Apparently they've gotten better, but who knows if that's just a summer demand thing.

Dominion301

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:01 am

Royalairlines wrote:
Anyone have any updates on how Lynx is doing behind the scenes? It seems like they have successfully positioned themselves as the less chaotic ULCC in Canada. While Flair flails around, rapidly trying and cancelling routes, building up a massive page of complaints on Skytrax, people seem to generally like Lynx? And they seem to be running a small operation and growing slowly? Don't get me wrong, I am extremely grateful to Flair for giving me a third option on YVR-YOW but it seems like Lynx is maybe the tortoise that's winning the race against the hare?

Within likely the next year Porter will be on YOW-YVR. Maybe Lynx will at some point too. What is Lynx’ IATA code?

SpaceshipDC10

Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:12 am

Dominion301 wrote:
What is Lynx’ IATA code?

IATA: Y9

ICAO: DAT

Callsign: DAUNTLESS

Dominion301

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:24 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
What is Lynx’ IATA code?

IATA: Y9

ICAO: DAT

Callsign: DAUNTLESS

Thanks and DAT’s a cool ICAO code. :P

SpaceshipDC10

Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:49 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Thanks and DAT’s a cool ICAO code. :P

Yup, especially when you're the new upstart with such big plans as having a large fleet in several years. You better be.

cirrusdragoon

Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:31 am

Lynx is now setting up shop in Edmonton.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/new-low-far ... -1.5987634

Acey

Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:13 am

Yeah it's a YEG-YYZ-YYT run. New MAX arrived on property in YYC today as well, a frame not taken up by Norwegian. It's their 4th plane and they very quickly need it to enter service.

DLASFlyer

Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:53 pm

Acey wrote:
Yeah it's a YEG-YYZ-YYT run. New MAX arrived on property in YYC today as well, a frame not taken up by Norwegian. It's their 4th plane and they very quickly need it to enter service.

I actually saw it land last night. Still in Norwegian livery and shows up on FR24 with a DL Delta flight number. I was thoroughly confused until I did a little research.

Acey

Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:26 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
Acey wrote:

I actually saw it land last night. Still in Norwegian livery and shows up on FR24 with a DL Delta flight number. I was thoroughly confused until I did a little research.

The Delta thing sounds like a glitch, though Lynx's ICAO code is DAT with a callsign of "Dauntless" so that might be what you're referring to.

USAirKid

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:45 pm

Over the last week or so, I flew on 20% of Lynx's fleet YVR-YYC-YVR. I was pleasantly surprised how fast boarding was given that very few people had bags to go in the overheads.

I was surprised at C-FULJ's paint job basically still looking like one of the Norwegian brands. And FWIW they managed to miss having a french equivalent statement for all of the placards.

Inside the seats were different on the return on C-FULI, and those were properly bilingual.

I'm kind of curious if they aim to standardize C-FULJ to match C-FULI, and if its just something that they're waiting to do in the winter.

It was kinda interesting that they only serve water... Worked well and seemed to speed things up.

georgiabill

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:17 pm

Perhaps Lynx is more concerned about getting cash flowing in,than a common uniform in flight experience.

Dominion301

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:59 am

USAirKid wrote:
Over the last week or so, I flew on 20% of Lynx's fleet YVR-YYC-YVR. I was pleasantly surprised how fast boarding was given that very few people had bags to go in the overheads.

I was surprised at C-FULJ's paint job basically still looking like one of the Norwegian brands. And FWIW they managed to miss having a french equivalent statement for all of the placards.

Inside the seats were different on the return on C-FULI, and those were properly bilingual.

I'm kind of curious if they aim to standardize C-FULJ to match C-FULI, and if its just something that they're waiting to do in the winter.

It was kinda interesting that they only serve water... Worked well and seemed to speed things up.

You'd think Lynx are leaving money on the table with no commissary. Yes it keeps costs low, but doesn't inflight BOB have good margins for most carriers?

Chasensfo

Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:10 am

Dominion301 wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

You'd think Lynx are leaving money on the table with no commissary. Yes it keeps costs low, but doesn't inflight BOB have good margins for most carriers?

Yes, most ULCCs worldwide make a significant portion of their profit on buy-on-board. Frontier at one point said it made more money on that then fees.

USAirKid

Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:16 am

Chasensfo wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

Yes, most ULCCs worldwide make a significant portion of their profit on buy-on-board. Frontier at one point said it made more money on that then fees.

TBH, I'm curious if it a stage length thing. YVR-YYC is around an hour, so BOB doesn't quite seem worth it. I know they have some longer stage lengths coming.

Although perhaps thats in the business plan, and they're just working on getting the basics stood up now? They've only been operating for about four months, so I could see that being a secondary thing for management to work on getting setup. Plus it might not make sense now given how low the load factors are.

Also, FWIW, on YVR-YYC the cups were small plastic ones, on YYC-YVR they were small paper ones. I kinda would make a bet that someone is just making a run to Costco or something to stock the planes right now and they don't have any sort of catering program setup.

matthew11

Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:16 am

Flew YYC-YHM a week ago and YHM-YYC today. Both flights were very full. They do give you a heads up a couple days in advance before your flight to bring your own food and drinks. I really didn’t care for BOB. They served just water which is fine. Both flight experiences were great. Very friendly staff. I think they will do well if they keep it up. Fares are very cheap, you get what you pay for.

YEGFlyer

Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:46 pm

USAirKid wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

TBH, I'm curious if it a stage length thing. YVR-YYC is around an hour, so BOB doesn't quite seem worth it. I know they have some longer stage lengths coming.

Although perhaps thats in the business plan, and they're just working on getting the basics stood up now? They've only been operating for about four months, so I could see that being a secondary thing for management to work on getting setup. Plus it might not make sense now given how low the load factors are.

Also, FWIW, on YVR-YYC the cups were small plastic ones, on YYC-YVR they were small paper ones. I kinda would make a bet that someone is just making a run to Costco or something to stock the planes right now and they don't have any sort of catering program setup.

No food for purchase on any flights, not just short haul.

IceCream

Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:05 pm

Lynx air is starting YEG-YVR 3x weekly from oct 31

matthew11

Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:49 am

Lynx just posted they are announcing new sun destinations on Sept 28.

YEGFlyer

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:49 am

matthew11 wrote:
Lynx just posted they are announcing new sun destinations on Sept 28.

Flair is having a press conference tomorrow, so lots of news coming this week.