Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

asuflyer
Topic Author

Security Incident at ATL

Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:55 pm

As of 11/20 13:50 EDT ATL airport is on lockdown due to a threat of an active shooter. Employees and passengers are seeking shelter. It is a fluid situation at the moment.

https://twitter.com/atlairport/status/1 ... 48779?s=21

Update As of 14:00 ATL airport confirmed that an accidental discharge occurred, there are pax that have evacuated out onto the tarmac and in secure areas.
Last edited by asuflyer on Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

codc10

Re: Security Incident at ATL

Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:57 pm

Lots of videos online… shooter isn’t confirmed but pandemonium at the domestic terminal.

B757Forever

Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:59 pm

I dropped a friend off around 12:20. She texted me saying they were all being ushered outside.

stlAV8R

Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:00 pm

My mom and sister were just rushed out. Hearing reports of one shooter apprehended so far. Hope everyone is safe!

stlAV8R

Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:03 pm

Just got word accidental discharge of firearm. Unconfirmed.

FlyingElvii

Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:18 pm

Lol… It will take HOURS to clear the terminal and rescreen. Sounds like fun, glad I am not there today.

Heinkel

Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:50 pm

The question is, whose gun accidently discharged? And why? Careless handling of guns?

So one "BANG" is enough to close down one of the world's busiest airports for hours?

Okie

Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:43 pm

Heinkel wrote:
The question is, whose gun accidently discharged? And why? Careless handling of guns?

So one "BANG" is enough to close down one of the world's busiest airports for hours?

No such thing with security/TSA discharging a weapon, that would be classified as NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE. :twocents:

Okie

DLvsWN

Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:49 pm

Heinkel wrote:

Shots fired in the security screening area causing a mix of passengers and screeners to scramble for cover seems like exactly the sort of thing that would shut an airport down for hours.

F9Animal

Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:55 pm

Heinkel wrote:

One "BANG" is enough to hurt and kill people. Especially when that "BANG" is coming from a gun.

ATLgaUSA

Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:57 pm

Heinkel wrote:

I was at HNL when a laptop battery “popped” in the security area. They flushed everyone out of the airport and it was a shit show while they rescreened everyone. We had to run down the stairs on a jetway and were held in a ramp room for over an hour. My kids were terrified and convinced we were going to be killed.

Clipper73

Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:17 pm

So here is my question. How will Delta handle this will they hold flights or will they hold to their schedule to keep the network flowing.

JohanTally

Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:10 pm

Clipper73 wrote:
So here is my question. How will Delta handle this will they hold flights or will they hold to their schedule to keep the network flowing.

No DL cancellations but they do have a couple hundred delayed so it looks like they might be holding aircraft where necessary.

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/today/KATL

IceCream

Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:06 pm

Hopefully flights will return to normal soon.

Atlwarrior

Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:14 pm

Glad it was a misfire, but it should be a huge wake up call in case it was an active shooter, any airport in America is an easy target. I wonder what kind of protocols they have in place.

zuckie13

Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:14 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kimberlees ... be7057f975

Apparently a passenger had a weapon in a carry on bag (which, they should not - the rules are guns have to be checked in a hard sided case) and lunged for it when TSA identified it and it went off (which means the moron also had a round in the chamber). Of course the fella fled....

Capt.Fantastic

Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:33 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kimberleespeakman/2021/11/20/passenger-accidentally-fired-weapon-at-atlanta-airport-causing-panic-flight-delays/?sh=61be7057f975

Apparently a passenger had a weapon in a carry on bag (which, they should not - the rules are guns have to be checked in a hard sided case) and lunged for it when TSA identified it and it went off (which means the moron also had a round in the chamber). Of course the fella fled....

Given he reached for a loaded weapon, the outcome could have been much worse had he armed himself. On the surface, this doesn't seem entirely accidental.

Aaron747

Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:41 pm

Capt.Fantastic wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kimberleespeakman/2021/11/20/passenger-accidentally-fired-weapon-at-atlanta-airport-causing-panic-flight-delays/?sh=61be7057f975

Given he reached for a loaded weapon, the outcome could have been much worse had he armed himself. On the surface, this doesn't seem entirely accidental.

It’s total insanity either way.

lat41

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:22 am

Heinkel wrote:

Should not have happened in the first place, no matter how many "bang"s. Hello?

lat41

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:25 am

zuckie13 wrote:

We are in a "rules don't apply to me" society, more and more.

kalvado

Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:23 am

zuckie13 wrote:

Good news that TSA found it, though.

ba319-131

Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:56 am

Will be lots of delays, my AA flight sat for over an hour after landing before being re-assist new gate away from the main terminal.

Traffic in the area was gridlocked once I got out, so knock-on effects will be significant.

trueblew

Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:25 am

According to social media feeds (which are dubious for accurate information, but there are near-unanimous accounts) there were multiple, as in at least five, shots fired which does not sound like a careless discharge. (No such thing as an accidental discharge.)

N292UX

Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:54 am

I was in Concourse B waiting for a flight to SAV when it happened. They made an announcement regarding what had happened (and said it was an accidental discharge) and no one in that concourse seemed to really care or stay in place. Our flight ended up being delayed by about 25 minutes.

N292UX

Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:56 am

But there never seemed to be a total stop in traffic or anything. Flights were still coming and going from Concourse B

SRQLOT

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:25 pm

Cant believe they didn’t catch him yet!

kiowa

Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:27 pm

Okie wrote:
Heinkel wrote:

No such thing with security/TSA discharging a weapon, that would be classified as NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE. :twocents:

Okie

I did not think TSA was allowed to have guns?

johns624

Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:43 pm

kiowa wrote:
Okie wrote:
Heinkel wrote:

Okie

I did not think TSA was allowed to have guns?
They aren't.

nkops

Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:56 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
Cant believe they didn’t catch him yet!

They will get him... to me, this was not an "accident" if he had one in the chamber , the safety was off and he lunged for it after being told not to touch the bag. Then he ran!! This could have turned out a whole lot worse IMO.

johns624

Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:16 pm

Yahoo is reporting that they have identified a suspect and are looking for him. It seems that he's a convicted felon, which means he can't possess a firearm.
https://news.yahoo.com/accidental-gun-d ... 05375.html

Clipper73

Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:01 pm

Atlanta breaks a record.

The TSA said overall, the number of firearms discovered in carry-on bags is up across the country. A record-breaking 4,495 guns were seized in 248 airports in 2021. At Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, that number was 391, nearly double the number in 2020 and about 70 more than 2019.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/atlant ... checkpoint

Door4Right

Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:10 pm

Any time I've been in the TSA line and something "suspicious" is seen in a bag, the bag gets "separated" to the TSA side of the conveyer belt and becomes inaccessable to the passengers until TSA figures out what's going on. Has even happened to me when I've accidentally left a bottle of water in a backpack!

If TSA had reason to think there was an actual FIREARM in that bag, at what point did it become within reach of the passenger for him to "grab for it" and why? Aviation security theater at its worst.

Clipper73

Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:15 pm

Door4Right wrote:
Any time I've been in the TSA line and something "suspicious" is seen in a bag, the bag gets "separated" to the TSA side of the conveyer belt and becomes inaccessable to the passengers until TSA figures out what's going on. Has even happened to me when I've accidentally left a bottle of water in a backpack!

If TSA had reason to think there was an actual FIREARM in that bag, at what point did it become within reach of the passenger for him to "grab for it" and why? Aviation security theater at its worst.

Exactly this is an epic fail by the TSA this bag should have never been able to be accessed by the passenger after it was deemed suspicious.

gustywinds

Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:18 pm

Clipper73 wrote:
Door4Right wrote:

Exactly this is an epic fail by the TSA this bag should have never been able to be accessed by the passenger after it was deemed suspicious.

We don’t know all of the facts yet. But we do know this passenger had access to their own firearm from the time they walked in the front door of the terminal to point they put their firearm into the X-ray for screening. So it’s not like this person didn’t have plenty of opportunity to cause some mayhem prior to submitting to screening.

FlapOperator

Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:42 pm

Atlwarrior wrote:
Glad it was a misfire, but it should be a huge wake up call in case it was an active shooter, any airport in America is an easy target. I wonder what kind of protocols they have in place.

That's the kind of stuff for which the police at the terminals are there.

lightsaber

Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:31 am

Folks, post on topic. This is your warning.

Chemist

Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:39 am

gustywinds wrote:
Clipper73 wrote:
Door4Right wrote:

We don’t know all of the facts yet. But we do know this passenger had access to their own firearm from the time they walked in the front door of the terminal to point they put their firearm into the X-ray for screening. So it’s not like this person didn’t have plenty of opportunity to cause some mayhem prior to submitting to screening.

There is really no way this would be known or prevented pre-TSA. High number of guns in the USA and not all owners are exactly responsible or rational.

DLASFlyer

Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:03 pm

Chemist wrote:
There is really no way this would be known or prevented pre-TSA. High number of guns in the USA and not all owners are exactly responsible or rational.

You aren’t understanding. Once the gun was seen in the x-ray, the bag should have been kept behind glass and inaccessible to the passenger until police arrived. It sounds like the bag was instead brought to an inspection table, where the passenger was told not to touch it but physically able to anyway.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos