Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tango-Bravo
Topic Author

International pax flights at LAX?

Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:00 pm

Live streams of LAX arrivals and departures show many intercontinental flights with pax heavies arriving/departing the Bradley and West Terminals. Some airlines appear to even have (at least) daily doubles, including Air France (773ER), Asiana (A350), Korean Air (748i, 773ER, 789) and China Airlines (773ER, A350). Given current restrictions, are these flights carrying business, leisure and VFR pax much as in pre-covid days?

hoons90

Re: International pax flights at LAX?

Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:06 pm

The KE 748 and 789 are cargo flights. The pax flights are KE11 and KE17 operated with the 77W.

bzcat

Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:21 pm

I think cargo demand is high so the flights are operating. Passenger demand is relatively modest mostly because a lot of places still have entry restrictions due to COVID, and transit traffic at places like ICN and TPE have almost been completely eliminated.

chrisair

Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:52 pm

I passed through LAX twice in November and ended up having to eat dinner in Bradley since nothing was open at T4 or T5. Both times I was at TBIT between 7-9 p.m., and it was pretty deserted compared to non-covid times.

No idea what the loads are like, but it's really eerie being in that terminal when it's so empty. MSC was completely empty except for a PAL flight.

atcdan

Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:13 am

I can’t speak offhand regarding the exact flights, etc. but many of the flights from LAX on Asiana, Korean, Fiji, Air China, China Eastern etc have remarks on their ATC flight plan “cargo only”. Some of these flights depart TBIT/MSC.

Also, KE has both 747-8F and -8i flights into LAX the last few weeks.

log0008

Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:06 am

A lot of Asian Airlines are operating cargo-only flights. China-US air freight rates are high enough that just filling the belly cargo is profitable in most cases.

airfrancejfk

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:11 am

Euro carriers, Latin American and mid-east are generally all pax except for the EK 77W which is cargo.

All ANA, JL, SQ, CZ, MF and OZ flights are pax but loading generally below COVID levels with reduced frequency.
PR, KE, CA, CX, CI, QF, BR and FJ are mixed cargo and pax. (Generally the East Asian pax departures are at night plus the KE daylight flight)
China Eastern and Hainan are all cargo.

And of course, this changes continuously.

phllax

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:36 am

I arrived on a domestic AA flight into TBIT 2 weeks ago on the evening of the 7th around 8pm and the departures hall and security were crazy! Fiji Airways, Singapore, ANA (powder blue f/a uniforms), Volaris, Air Tahiti Nui and more all had flights going out.

richcandy

Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:39 am

Difficult to answer. I'm in the UK and my understanding is that we need to be double vaccinated and have a covid test before we can travel to the United States. Well most people here are double vaccinated and other countries require visitors to have a covid test before they can travel there. So its maybe not that big a deal. The covid test is a cost that the passenger has to pay but its not that much compared to say a hotel night, or a Disney park ticket.

However it's winter so maybe not the most popular time for leisure travellers to be travelling. Also at least where I live, every third or four house seems to be having some form of building work (construction). New kitchens, bathrooms, home office etc. I think some people have got used to not travelling and are spending their money on other things right now. I am sure that will change in time.

jetwet1

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:15 am

I did LAX-LHR-LAX on BA in J, it was full, W was full, Y pretty empty.

Talking to friends who are crew with VS it's pretty much the same story with them.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos